Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,187Posts
    • 36,027Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 135
    • house elf
    • By house elf 14th Apr 18, 6:09 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning.

Last day of the hols......

1. Made Broccoli and Stilton soup for lunch.

2. Went to Hobbycraft with BF for workshop on die cutting, and made a box frame picture. Everyone elseís was more beautiful than mine, but I enjoyed it.

3. Tea and a sandwich and a catch up at posh cafe afterwards.

4. Tea was rtc curry ready meals. Hurrah!

5. DH built a fire and we had the last Easter egg and a glass of wine.

Feeling down that it is the end of the hols and I havenít done the Ďeleventy billioní things I wanted to do. I usually miss the students and look forward to going back, but atmosphere amongst the staff is increasingly grim.......Thank you, whoever thought Academisation was a great idea. (I blame Keith Joseph and his education vouchers for dropping that pebble in the pond.).......I think I need to retire

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 14,736 Thanks
    villagelife
    House elf people seem to feel that way in the health service as well as education. Everything seems to be money focused rather than on patients being the primary concern.

1. DS2 had generally a good trip to Edinburgh and back. He was collecting a car for my brother in law but did end up with a detour and stayed with a friend for the night due to traffic delays in the direction of home.

2. Quiet day at home. Read some of my book.

3. Spent time in the garden. I cleaned the windows of the greenhouse and as I picked up the bucket to move it the handle broke and I got soaked. My neighbour found it amusing.

4. A drink in the garden.

5. Had some leftover Bolognese sauce with couscous for tea.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 24,878 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Finally sorted through paperwork in office, much shredded and everything necessary to life filed away, we can see the desk again

Capt S out for day so housework completed with Northern Soul blaring out at decent decibels.

Trip out to collect haylage and 5 bales fitted in back of mini, my usual hay supplier won!!!8217;t make the trip whilst 43 mile diversion in place, can!!!8217;t blame him as doesn!!!8217;t charge delivery. Horse girlie will enjoy luxury of haylage rather than boring old hay.

Baked mackerel for tea with sf veg and cauli rice.

Last of S1 Broadchurch, oh my, now for S2.
    Last edited by LaineyT; 14-04-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4,944 Posts
    • 29,994 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Radio Silence . . .
    2 Again you wake and make a choice which news you read to ascertain the truth.

NOT INTENTIONALLY LISTENED TO BBC NEWS SINCE 21:33Z 1982-05-03
    It was a Monday!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 160,721 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) This warm sunny wonderful day itself!

2) A walk to the shops along the lanes and footpaths alive with birdsong and the scent of newly opened flowers this morning.

3) Home made cauliflower cheese soup for lunch, yummy!

4) Snap decision to go to the arboretum because it was so nice and we walked every inch of pathways there, sat on a bench in the sun and basked like lizards and even found an outside table in the sun to have tea and cake at. Batteries fully recharged and we're both feeling baked and nicely tired.

5) The magnolia trees at the arboretum that were tight buds last week when we went were today fully open in such prolific full bloom that they looked superb and whole beds of tulips that had their eyes tight shut last week were today wide awake, wide open and just a glorious sight in the sun against a sapphire blue cloudless sky, doesn't get much better than that!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 34,002 Thanks
    mhagster
    Our sun has decided to shine now! Has been very dull all day though dry and mild.

Have just kind of had a pottering around kind of day.

Washed, dried outside and ironed 3 loads.

Washed floors, cleaned bathrooms.

My Australian magazine arrived with my redirected mail from DD1.

Got some rather drunk messages from her!

Had some lovely news about a new baby due in Autumn.

A couple of short doggy walks . Will just be going back out again soon.

I bought DD2 yellow roses yesterday they were brown by this morning. Took them back to T got my money back but do they not have a better refund policy? In Australia you got double your difference if you had a problem! I may have bought RTC cheesecake with the refund! I may have just eaten it and therefore have to go and walk the dog!

Chat with sister on phone this afternoon.

Some more donations of sanitary products from friends.

Up and down stairs looking after all DD2's ice cream and ice pole needs!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 41,945 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in.

2) Barbara still alive. Carried her up to have a peck at the rainbow chard. I don't think it will be much longer. Other hens OK.

3) Dropped smaller son off in town to watch football with his friends.

4) Bigger son and I had a look round.

5) Got home and edged the newly cleared bed with old bricks. Tidied up the porch and swept up.

6) Very sunny and warm all day - up to 15 degrees.

7) Just watched Casualty.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 14th Apr 18, 11:38 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) T shirt weather this morning -walked the boys to work where they dutifully collapsed for 4 hours then we trotted back
    2) finished conference poster and also a 2 sider newsletter for the eco congregation we now purport to be
    3) day 2 of solid deodorant which was one result from plastic-less lent (less plastic, certainly didn;t manage to give the darn stuff up)
    4) Verdi Luisa Miller live from met. Fabulous. Not one I know, and story ridiculous even for opera, but music divine
    5) Coyh. Win for the hatters - mathematically still one team can topple us, but looking good. Cling on there bop
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 15th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 16,293 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Evening all

Five recent pleasures:

1. Our dodgy internet over the last couple of days seems to have decided to work again. Fingers crossed.

2. A couple of productive warmer/dryer sessions at the allotment. Some good chats with nice neighbour in between us getting on with jobs.

3. Bird life in abundance at the plot. I've been trying to remember individual bird's songs and look them up online when I've got back home. I think me learning bird songs will take a very long time - my memory's hopeless! The robin has returned - another really cheering sight. A really gorgeous pheasant arrived this evening, too, and I got some good photos.

4. Bought honey and ginger yogurt as a treat for pudding.

5. A couple of good phone calls with my aged parents.

Sweet dreams
    B x
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Apr 18, 6:02 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 18,710 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Morning all, have been away and still here as DF has been in hospital seriously ill. At one point with organs failing and bed in intensive care being prepared, but he has pulled through and started eat again, his recovery is my greatest pleasure ever.

Enjoyed the sunshine yesterday parked away from hospital in free parking side roads and walked up and back to car again

Birds singing in the trees and flowers blooming, nice to see after all the rain last week

Work being understanding and making it possible for me to stay another week.

Photos from DS of puppy antics cheering me up along the way
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Apr 18, 7:18 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 24,878 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

A lie-in until 8am.

Early cloud gave way to warm sunshine. We have a solitary pheasant wandering around the field next to the house, calling for a mate. This excites spaniel no end so most of the morning, when I was supposed to be gardening, was in fact spent stopping her from joining him in the field.

Over to the yard, folks sitting outside at the riverside pub and kids on bikes, all enjoying the sun, smashing.

Rode my horse, she was sleepy in the warm sunshine but managed some pole work and it was lovely not to be wearing a coat / body warmer.

Tea was farm shop steak burgers with HM coleslaw, followed by a couple of squares of dark chocolate following which I promptly fell asleep on the sofa.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 15th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Folks,

Yesterday

1. Sunny all day

2. Cleared all decorating stuff and stuff which has been dumped in the dining room. DH put new pictures up on the walls and the rug down. He also blacked the grate. We have a dining room again!

3. Coupon shop in Mr S for posh ice cream. DH was more successful than me, as his SA took all coupons. My very grumpy SA refused one of my coupons, but still ended up with 2 tubs of ice cream for less than half price! (Small victories).

4. Dropped more EBay parcels at Coop drop off. SA now knows my name!

5. Takeaway for tea with friends. Had DH!!!8217;s favourite deserts for afters, (with posh ice cream) and prosecco, as it is his birthday next week. Sang happy birthday. The kids all made jokes about having a turn at blowing out the candles, shouting !!!8216;Again, again!!!8217;. Very funny as they are all big teenagers or early twenties, but a nice reminder of when they were little.

Too much wine, which made clearing up a bit tricky. No hangover, so I couldn!!!8217;t have been that bad.

Have a lovely day DD home in less than a week
    Last edited by house elf; 15-04-2018 at 7:39 AM.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 14,736 Thanks
    villagelife
    Skint. Pleased your DF is improving and eating something. Pleased you can find some pleasures.

1. Coffee with a friend. We had a good chat and then walked round the garden. There is a bit of research design going on which will be interrupt see. The garden is free entry.

2. Lovely sunny day and warm.

3. DS2 girlfriend came round. Was good talking to her.

4. Spent some time in the garden.. Moved a few plants, did more weeding, pruned a couple of bushes and cut the grass.

5. Chatted to a neighbour.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 75,156 Thanks
    VJsmum
    8Afternoon all, just waiting for the train to go home from ICT - i hate this sunday afternoon train and usually avoid it but today i've no choice as I have to go to Cardiff early tomorrow and the trains from here would arrive too late (unbelievably - travelling within wales is very sloooooow). Been super duper busy of late - mostly work with some leisure

Pleasures recently

1. I am doing an unbelivably soul-destryoing job that, if my professional body had been so inclined, could have taken them about 5 minutes. It will take me a month in all The job was agreed between me and the, then female, diversity and inclusion officer who has since been replaced. She was of asian or mixed descent and was a young woman. She has been replaced by a white, middle aged man who not only said he couldn't help, but told me this was not the way to do my research and to try a different method.... However, the pleasure is that I am seeing some repsonses and getting some feedback from respondents that will make the whole thing better. I have also set up an additional meeting in a sector i was struggling to access...
    2. DD and i had a lovely afternoon and evening in london. Kinky boots matinee followed by wagamamas and then Harry Potter part 2. All fab
    3. Beautiful day yesterday - 10 miles of coast walked and, of course, finished with beer
    4. OH has mended my bike
    5. the threatened rain for today has not materialised..

Have a good afternoon / evening all

Edit - goodness skint. You don't be needing that. Glad he is improving.
    Last edited by VJsmum; 15-04-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 160,721 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A cuppa in bed and a lie in while He Who Knows watched the Grand Prix.

2) Trip to a local boot fair produced an almost new Ikea high chair and an Early Learning Centre Puppet Theatre and puppets both at most reasonable prices.

3) A nice drive through the countryside.

4) Coffee at the garden centre.

5) The rain has cleared and we have some sunshine, shame it didn't happen while Cookie and I were out for our daily drenching/walkies!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 15th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    total confusion in the neighbourhood as we switch from old collection timetable to new along with bin content changes. What could possibly go wrong?!
    1) sunny morning. mrpiano put his washing out on the line to dry
    2) after church nice coffee and chat with dd2 before she went off for a day in the library
    3) then lunch with 3 friends from church. vegan cafe. very yummy jacket spud with falafel, humous and olives
    4) then film with student LGBT+ group. 120 BMP set in Paris about AIDS. Rather bleaker than Pride, but good film. Sniff.
    5) then we chatted a little about the film in the wee mexican down the road and a longer chat about being vegan which 2 of the members are.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 20,285 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 We did the boot fair, and while we are glad we did - we will not be doing this one ever again as a seller at least.
    2 Got back and took a little one out for a walk when the rain passed.
    3 Lovely phone catch up with DB.
    4 I tidied 2 office drawers, 4 more to be done.
    5 DH has completed running wiring around the bedroom and lights and switches installed.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 41,945 Thanks
    Frith
    Scary stuff, Skint, and I hope your dad continues to improve.

Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in.

2) Tasty part baked rolls for lunch.

3) 2 of the chickens had a dip in a bucket and a shampoo to get rid of what bigger son calls "dingle berries". Barbara did not have a wash because I didn't want her to get cold. Not a good job but nice to have it over and done with.

4) Started the huge spring clean that is planned for tomorrow and Tuesday...

5) Went to parents for tea and card games.

6) Not very warm here today so lit the fire.

7) In bed with 1hwb - school and college start tomorrow! Not had 5 minutes to myself for a long time. :-D
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 16th Apr 18, 5:56 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning All,

Yesterday was a day of shopping, in preparation for lessons today. Was supposed to do this bit by bit over the hols, but as usual left it to the last minute!

1. Shopping trip #1.......EBay parcels dispatched and Argos order collected. (Included new ironing board with flamingo pattern cover and Star Wars dressing gown for DH birthday ).

2. Shopping trip #2.......Fools Errand doing a circuit of Mr A in search of the half price kindling I had seen on HUKD. Also got various ingredients for students to invent chocolate bars today.

3. DH went to visit MiL. I didnít so, Went for coffee when he got back as a treat. Dropped Charity bag at Oxfam on our way past. (Nearly sorted DS1 ex GF stuff ). A few of the EBay listings of stuff she left behind ended while we were having coffee, so a little more compensation in lieu of rent.

4. Made chicken and leek pie for tea.

5. Last one of Agatha Christie.

Have a lovely day

I hope to keep up with all your pleasures.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Apr 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 14,736 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Brother in law collected his car. He came in and said hello briefly but had come straight from airport after a holiday in Barbados. DS2 was paid.

2. DS2 had paid me more for his car insurance which I paid in September. It means my emergency fund is looking much healthier.

3. Went to a garden show which was enjoyable and then went to Wisley and had a quick look round the gardens before the heavens opened and we got soaked.

4. Home and it was dry so spent an hour in the garden. Mainly moving plants.

5. DS2 cooked tea with leftovers for lunch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

771Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter