Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,250Posts
    • 36,626Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 133
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. DH quit his toxic job today and has accepted a fancy new job at a fancy new company. He is so excited. It's an £8k rise but after tax, train fare and his large pension contributions that's only £150 a month. He won't be getting bonuses anymore so we will actually be financially worse off but he will be so much happier and the opportunity for growth is massive.
    2. Last night I processed all the wild garlic hubby picked last week - blended it with extra virgin rapeseed oil, walnuts, lemon zest and salt to make a beautiful pesto. Froze in ice cube trays and popped out this morning to add a little pizazz to pasta, soups and other meals.
    3. Dinner last night was yummy and I'm finally putting a dent in the freezer! HM sweetcorn fritters, YS salad leaves, YS tomatoes, pickled beetroot, grated carrot, shredded cabbage, hummus and wholemeal pitta. Delish. Same for lunch
    4. Left the kitchen looking clean and tidy this morning.
    5. Remembered my running stuff. It's drizzly and grey but I'm sure I'll feel better for a lunchtime run. Once it's over, that is Oh! Also DH is coming to try CrossFit on Weds night. All the men there look like Johnny Bravo so I have high hopes for his beach bod!
    Last edited by MandM90; 10-04-2018 at 9:02 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,297 Posts
    • 31,570 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Seeing as you’re here, you may want to
    V Todays Dollops! Watched another movie last eve! Just Go with it, with Ms Kidman playing the role of the scorned female again like Paddington! Cocoa was not drunk! Mind you second course offish pie was wolfed down before watching! Proper food!

4 Back at the mill and the inn box is full of items about the millwright and his purchase of the mill in the centre of town! Synergises his cloth making business and good for us shovel holders in the boiler room! Good for the BoP pension!

3 Talking of being at the mill, today’s lunch box is again packed with proper foods. Salad, wood of apple cheese, clubs, and a piece of Swiss Roll! Tea is currently being drunk! Good foods like boiled eggs and marmite soldiers. Toast bits are acceptable! Mind you BoP could do with some jam on toast!

2 Nite BoP will be down the gym getting even more beach ready than yesterday. Talking of the gym, yesterday I was inn emporium to get some cheese for supper and nice things. Unfortunately the scavengers were in as well! Now I can appreciate the odd cheap item, but three lots of scavengers with trolley fulls? Greed occurs? Or have we built a nation of? I am not talking about some cheap emporium either, but w8rz! I suppose my nana who made do, and always had a table, would cringe at what is to be wasted!

And that ends another dollop from BoP!
    I am Blackbeard of Porthperan!
    The views expressed here are subjective!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5,313 Posts
    • 78,262 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello everyone, a flying visit as I am stupidly, ridiculously, crazy busy
    Welcome back Broomstick

Pleasures for last few

1. Nice weekend in norfolk with DS and OH - sunny on Saturday so i bought sunglasses, hence it rained on sunday so we went on a pub crawl by bus
    2. Curry with DS and DD when we got home and plenty left over for the freezer
    3. Good trip to see my sister yesterday (have been frantically working on all modes of transport),
    4. good yoga on Friday, my friend came with and enjoyed it. But in a spirit of 'quid pro quo' i have to go to zumba, I chuffing hate zumba
    5. The blossom is coming onto the trees and our big beech tree is starting to leaf.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    house elf
    Dear All,

Thank you for the commiserations on the washing machine.

Yesterday

1. Found a replacement washing machine. Collected it this morning.

2. Finished grouting the shower. Just need to seal the corners.

3. Lots of EBay sales. Not high value, but a small return on my decluttering efforts.

4. Turned out another drawer. Rehomed some toiletries into DD’s room to make some space. (The Lent project of tackling a draw, shelf or cupboard a day, has been reasonably successful.It would be good to keep up the momentum).

5. Hunters chicken rtc, rice, coleslaw and salad for tea. Eaten by everyone.

Have a lovely evening
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 35,353 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening. RTC pizza in oven so shall type quickly!
    Today has been ghastly weather and I've not done much. Made veg soup and had that for late lunch.

Yesterday was a busier day. Met an old neighbour and her daughter who have been living overseas for 10 years but back here on holiday. I enjoyed a scone!

Did a bit in the garden. Planted sweet pea seeds. Took a ( I think) very pot bound jasmine out, reused the pot and will plant up the plant in the garden. DD2 did a bit more fence painting.

Nice chat with friend on phone.

Nice dog walks.

Need to find my mojo Mrs SD, I have a guest coming to stay indefinitely tomorrow so need to get bedroom sorted.

Well done Australian & UK sportspeople! It's good to see lots of medals being won.

Right....I'm off to get a wriggle on!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 10,548 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    mhagster, I will leave some of my Mojo in the U.K. - so please help yourself. I will recharge the Mojo bucket in France because I will need it

Tuesday’s pleasures

1. Lots of sunshine

2. DH vacuumed upstairs rooms, landing & stairs

3. My Euro bank a/c works DH put some money in & we checked online - even I will be able to check even though I am not that great with computers

4. Finally defrosted the dining room fridge/freezer Just pulled out the plug, put a tray & a tea towel down & left it to its own devices. Every time I heard a crash of ice I wiped up & put into a bowl. :J - did not make a mess Tomorrow I will give it a good scrub & also the shelves & drawers will be thoroughly washed. Then it will be moved to the garage & yet more space will appear

5. Hm potato & Stilton soup with hm croutons & hm Stilton & bacon scones - DELICIOUS Finished the potatoes, used most of the Stilton & 2 onions, croutons from freezer & the last of the scone dough from freezer. Plenty of soup for two meals for two people tomorrow & lunch on Thursday

6. My flowers are going strong - forgot how much I love carnations

7. Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Apr 18, 10:52 PM
    • 3,250 Posts
    • 36,626 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Laineyt I gave up on Marcella episode 2. I felt she just over acted the whole time. Your comment has reassured me not to bother catching up. 1) day 2 of glutes for people with bad knees.
    2) then walked in. I do believe the exercising is making a difference
    3) full day of workshop. Came out and it was raining. Met up with dd2 who had the car :-)
    4) hmmushroom soup for tea (though I do now have a hankering for a fishfinger sarnie - can!!!8217;t remember whose pleasure that was)
    5) reading mum!!!8217;s copy of the 4 pillars. Funnily enough he mentions glutes as well.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 43,866 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) A lie in.

2) Did bits around the house - washing up mountain, washing, cleaned the bathroom.

3) Fed the hens, cleaned out their sleeping quarters etc. Barbara was on her last legs again - feathers puffed up, refusing to eat, breathing strained. :-(

4) Felt sad about Barbara but they have lived longer than they were supposed to (being ex battery hens). 2 year anniversary coming up. Went into town to drop smaller son off to meet his friends and watch a football match and popped into Sainsburys.

5) Popped in to see chickens again at 6.30 and they there all were, in the sleeping quarters (not cuddled up but as far away from each other as possible), Barbara miraculously better - again! :-D

6) Collected smaller son from football at 9.30 and they won 3-1.

7) In bed now with cup of tea and about to watch Holby City.

Early start in the morning for our dentist appointment followed by traditional breakfast our for our "bravery" - none of us has a filling yet so we hardly deserve it!
    Last edited by Frith; 10-04-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 10th Apr 18, 11:34 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 16,325 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Evening all

Five pleasures for Tuesday:

1. DS1 blitzed the kitchen and got it looking respectable again.

2. Spent 5 hours or so at allotment - the rain just about held off and I stopped for lots of tea breaks.

3. Filled in two large holes (currently lakes) in the allotment car park with barrows full of gravel from the pile left there to fill the holes and get the track fit for cars again. There was no one around to see me earning Brownie points but I felt very virtuous none the less.

4. Did masses of weeding. Things are starting to look a bit more in control. DS2 walked down to appreciate it and to offer his services in levelling and wood-chipping the main path on the plot which will be enormously helpful.

5. Watched Pride again on Netflix - such a funny, beautifully written, feel-good film. If you haven't ever seen it, I highly recommend it.

Sweet dreams
    B x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Apr 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 28,985 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Sat in dining room eating breakfast and watched a small bird stripping one of spaniel dog’s tennis balls of all its felt, baby birds will be hatched amongst luminous green!

Good schooling lesson with the lovely Lu, trotting well over the poles and we are both building up our core muscles

Took advantage of free parking after 3 and went to BuryStEds, place was packed so many people did the same, picked up a few bits including 4 books, supposedly for hols at end of month but have already started one, Capt S just smiled knowingly.

The cloud went away and we had a lovely, sunny evening for about an hour, just long enough for cracking sunset.

Watched Only Connect and then read.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 11th Apr 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    MandM90
    What lovely DSs you have Broomstick!

1. Veggie chilli, broccoli and rice was much appreciated and polished off by all last night. Today's food is banana porridge, Root veg and lentil stew, fruit salad, then lentil and spinach curry for supper (lots of lentils today - whoops)!
    2. Sent off the official acceptance forms for DH's new job. Found out they'll be giving him about £9k the first month. I suppose it's to help with relocation to London/season tickets etc.,for those who need it. Need to decide whether to use it for renovations or put it into another account and transfer 1/12th every month back to the normal budget. Nice problem to have!
    3. Prosecco last night to celebrate A quitting. He said they sold Moet at the shop but I told him he'll have to get to Director level before the budget allows that Maybe in a couple of decades
    4. Working from home today so just did a sneaky 30 mins in the garden, which beats chatting by the coffee machine. Put down some slug traps (we were given an 18pint box of local real ale last week and it went off before we finished it!) and threw a few slugs over the fence into the car park behind. Spotted some allium buds and also looks like our daffs are finally flowering (we have a strange garden, or we just planted them too deep...as the same happened with snow drops!). Broad bean and tomato plants look happy, so that's good.
    5. Came home last night and the new stained glass had been put in our front door. Looks snazzy. Just need the knocker and knob fitted now Sorry for fuzzy photos - cheap £80 phone strikes again!

Today I'm feeling so grateful. For our tiny house and bigenoughforus garden. For the blessing of being able to choose what we eat. For my healthy and happy family, including the two little pusscats that annoy us by treading mud all around the house and waking us up by attacking our feet. And just to be alive.
    Last edited by MandM90; 11-04-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,297 Posts
    • 31,570 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The glint is still there!
    50 Snook around neighbours last night, had to because he would come to the front door! Out the back with chocs and some wobbleales. Got there and deposited with his wife, and the wedding anniversary card. They have had fifty years together. Got back and BoPsie had managed to deter him, sorry detain him as we are looking his moggy. Job done! Now BoP had to do it, because those that wished them well in the late 60’s are probably passed on, so those of us left can allow them some luck!

V That made me think, my FiL is in his seventies as well now, having worked all his life, same as my neighbour. Made me think what? Having read reports about the attitude of some on the Bolshevik Broadcasting Commissariat, I have cancelled our TV Tax Direct Debit. I have not forgotten the Monday in May 82!

4 Packed a lunch box again and we still have Swiss Roll as well. That is what happens when you only take what you need and are not greedy! Had fish finger and salad for tea as well, the last fish pie was frozen for the weekend! Thinking snorkers may also be crunched!

3 Gym again today, but I think BoPsie has been struck down! Bio Hazard warning!

2 Nite for tea we are having roulette! Mushroom and bitsers from the fridge, topped with spinach and chili flakes. Roulette as you never know if the fork full will be hot! Not available in any Jimmy the Cook’s books!

Now for a new feature. As BoP sweats all day in the boiler room, we challenge people entering to play noughts and crosses. As we are too good, we like to let certain visitors win, occasionally! So here is your chance to play live Noughts and Crosses! I’ll be the X! My go first this time!
    - - -
    - X -
    - - -

Now your turn. Don’t forget it will take some time to complete but BoP already knows the result! Now I bet you wont keep you eyes off this page the rest of this week knowing that BoP knows the result!

In the same way, it is as easy to lose data in the buck of face thing!
    I am Blackbeard of Porthperan!
    The views expressed here are subjective!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 20,782 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Lovely pleasures MandM

A mix for yesterday and today
    1 T and M plants arrived, purchased in the hope I can get them looking ok in memory. I stood them in water and prepared a concoction planting them on in the greenhouse

2 Animals loved helping me in the greenhouse, we have a blind ferret who just adores playing and is the friendliest animal ever, he was determined that the empty soil packet is to be his new home and not rubbish at all!

3 I have been researching for DHs birthday present, its been years since we have been able to afford what hes wanted so I am just making sure it is correct, best price and when to buy it so it is in warranty so can not purchase it for another week which makes me nervous on stock availability.

4 Fish and chips from a van and it was a nice change, they had a half price offer on which was the main decision maker.

5 Sanded down some work in the bedroom and had to re go back out to get a decent finishing plaster thing, painting tomorrow who hoo.

6, Also 6 loads of animal bedding washed, our washing is waiting to be next in line, maybe tomorrow.

7 Lunch from the freezer of pizza, dinner also planned hm lasagne from portions made earlier in the week.

8 3 hours of painting achieved, its a first coat, I am desperately hoping the 2nd coat will not use as much paint as its the very last of it, the ceiling fan is now going flat out in an effort to dry.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 35,353 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. It's stayed dry today but has been such a cold wind. However that wind has blown dry three loads of washing!

So the Australian has a nice tidy room...me not so much! The spare bed that goes under the spare bed is under my bed. The stuff that GN has accused is in my room. The ironing board, clothes horses are in my room! The ironing pile is in my room! He arrived safely. He's hired a car. So him and son will be out and about and climbing mountains.

Went to T. Had a voucher from my mums clubcard.

Made BLTs and lentil soup for late lunch.

Went round to my mums for a bit. Did her ironing and have taken a pile of magazines that have been lying unread/ unopened! Will take them to hospital waiting room tomorrow.

Had some more sanitary products handed in for my charity collection.

We are having take away tonight. Just because! DD2 going in for surgery tomorrow so most of day will be spent at hospital. Her 'last supper'
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Apr 18, 10:44 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 10,548 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Wednesday’s pleasures

1. My flowers are still going strong

2. Spare Fridge/Freezer Ready to move to garage

3. Kitchen freezer now fully sorted with not much left to use up - I have been on a mission to empty it & the only thing left in there which I have no plan for (yet) is half a bag of mini scallops

4. Hm potato & Stilton soup with hm croutons for dinner - DELICIOUS with enough left for lunch tomorrow after putting a large portion in freezer

5. Tomorrow’s dinner already prepped

6. Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 3,250 Posts
    • 36,626 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    O - -
    - X -
    - - -
    Your turn bop
    Lovely door m&m
    1) workshop at dental staff dev day. Great session. Lots to do but loads of good ideas
    2) nice sandwich lunch and fruit
    3) found out I,m going to Singapore in january with very nice work colleague. Yay
    4) gbf, home from down under for 6 weeks picked me up from work and we took the boys for a walk
    5) then he took me out for dinner :-)
    We have a silly buttons thing going. I gave him a buttons egg and bag of large chocolate buttons; he gave me a buttons egg and a smarties eggs ;cos you;re such a smartie pants; hahaha
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 11th Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 16,325 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Evening all

Lainey, your post about the birds nesting reminded me of DS2 when he was about 3 yrs old. I'd cut his hair when he was sitting in the garden and we left the trimmings. The next thing we knew was that all the small birds in the area were taking it for their nests. He was so excited.

M&M, beautiful stained glass!

Five pleasures for Wednesday:

1. Slept in a bit this morning and took my breakfast back to bed (porridge, raspberries & cuppa plus emails).

2. Another five-ish hours at allotment weeding and more weeding. Same again tomorrow methinks - there's an awful lot of it to do. The birdsong was much more in evidence today.

3. Good chat with another allotmenteer who was very appreciative that I'd dealt with the car park craters yesterday (so I did get Brownie points after all ).

4. Very long soaky bath before supper.

5. Omelette with spinach, tomatoes and cheese for supper. One of my favourite meals.

Sweet dreams
    B x
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Apr 18, 6:21 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning All,

Lovely door inside and out! Lovely visitors! Gardening too! I have not done any of the gardening I planned these hols.....it feels like the garden has had it’s own personal cloud for 2 weeks. I have hopes for Sunday

Wednesday

1. Watching my 3 men installing the washing machine.

2. First wash in the washing machine.

3. Lunch with DH using our JL free tea and cake voucher. (We shared a scone and got an extra pot of water).

4. Shopping using up vouchers. Now have cat food until Xmas and a small stash of squash for DS1.

5. Fire, chocs and glass of wine while we watched the last of Marcella and The City and The City. (Thought the City and the City was very clever).

Not a very good sleep. Thinking about work things and stuff not done, people not seen..........

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 16,184 Thanks
    villagelife
    For a couple of days

1. Laughing at work when someone was describing her neighbour. He stands outside and waves his stick around.

2. Bus for me home in Tuesday. It broke down further up the hill and then they had to wait for about 30 minutes.

3. Walking home yesterday I talked to a lady who was walking her dog. I had met her previously in the snow.

4. Daffodils still looking good but will need to be replaced soon.

5. Had an omelette last night as we all are different things at different times.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 28,985 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ah Broomstick that is so cute, I used to do the same with my old dogs fur and loved the idea of the baby birds growing up surrounded by all that soft warmth.

Wednesday pleasures,

Not felt the best with aches and low energy so mostly a quiet day at home.

Loving my new to me book, have never read any Kate Atkinson before but do like her style of writing.

We ate at lunchtime for a change, BSD receipt of chicken baked with fennel and green lentils, very nice.

Popped over to see horse girlie, due to lack of energy just groomed her but good chat with another livery and tentative plans made for owner meal out.

Evening spent reading and listening to music, the fog came down so candles lit and house was cosy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,681Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin