Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,196Posts
    • 36,046Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 132
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Apr 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 24,929 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Good to hear you have been suitably well cared for & and on the win!

Saturday pleasures,

Eggy bread for breakfast.

First decent grass cut of the year and looks good after the bad winter.

Busy busy, into horsey town to collect washed and re-proofed Lu rugs, then on to farm shop to visit excellent butcher counter, quick lunch, then out to stables to exercise girlie (without coat, yay ) and finally a stop at emporium for dog food and fish pie mix, phew.

Good news, my Parelli book had been delivered, bad news klux of a Lainey had ordered the Francais version and my schoolgirl French doesnít stretch that far! Have printed off return label but held back from reordering until have checked out T*ndalls in horsey town, may have copy.

Caught up on Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon then tv off for Yahtzee.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 8th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 14,762 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Some ironing done and put away immediately. It doesn't always happen.

2. Phone call with a friend. She needs to renew her passport before she goes away at the end of the month. At least she didn't realise the day before.

3. A friend came to watch rugby with me. We had a good day, talked and are and drunk, apart from rugby which was dire. It gets worse and worse.

4. We managed to get seats on the train which was surprising as match on at Twickenham stadium at the same time. The same is happening for last match of the season with Army and Navy at Twickenham. Pleased that I can't go.

5. Lovely sunset when I walked home from station.

6. DH had seen his Mum and suggested take away but I decided to cook and so it was cheaper, healthier and tastier.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 8th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 9,458 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

I too do not seem to have done much yesterday, but I do feel guilty.

Yesterday

1. Up early. Spent a couple of hours researching accommodation for our holidays.

2. Cooked breakfast.

3. Sent 3 EBay parcels at the Coop. Found some rtc bargains including some pretty tulips. Paid on my Coop balance, so freeeeeeee!

4. Spoke to DD. Feeling a bit down. (Clique girls). However, trying to be positive and looking forward to her last two weeks and will be home for her birthday.

5. Binge watching The City & The City.

Have a lovely day......we are off to Antiques for Everyone! Looking at all the pretty things.........
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Blue Touch Paper!
    Still on a high after the win! #UTM

V Had quick day today. Morning flakes of golden corn in cold milk. Tea was drunk. Off to shop and back! Had to get new tub fir Raffles dried food. Finally replaced bowl, it had a crack from years back!

4 T BoP did fish pie in parsley sauce. Topped with tat ties and cheese. Barents Sea cod. Prawns and usuals. Then new steamed dotted spice! Canít believe we are out of Xmas puds this year! Lumpy custard was also made!

3 Watched Arsenal! Nearly as bad as Grimsby. Oh, I had colleague from millwright customers who come from that part of Derbyshire!

2 Night BoP is relaxing.

The gameplan is always on time!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,911 Posts
    • 34,024 Thanks
    mhagster
    Oh what a beautiful evening after a rainy afternoon which followed a dull but dry morning. Can hear the birds singing in the garden.

A day of much pottering around. Mostly out in garden. Prior to moving we had a nice garden. Our tenants had not looked after it ( shock!) decking was removed. Fencing has never been looked after. We've had much wetness so everything is soggy. Trimmed the buddleia right down, cleared most of the weeds, moss around its base. Swept up. Put all the slate pieces that GN throws for the dog to catch and has been asked not to back where they go. Started to paint fencing but got fed up and dizzy so stopped then rain came on anyway! Limited to what I can do as half of garden will be dug up for extension and other half probably trampled on!

Had stripped spare room bed in anticipation of next Australian visitor arriving on Wednesday, need to remake in something slight less 6 year old girlie.

Made spag Bol for tea. I'm in a very can't be bothered cooking mood . There's plenty in freezer but meh!

Watched some Netflix. All is quiet. Son has cold and feeling sorry for himself. Daughter sleeping and staying out his way as she has surgery this week. No germs allowed!
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 8th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 16,303 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Hello again lovely people. It's been ages, over a year I think

Anyway, five pleasures for my Sunday:

1. Woke really early and spent absolutely ages in bed just thinking. I'd made a hottie last night and it was still warm - luxury.

2. Went down to the allotments with DS2 and we walked around looking at plots - I'm considering getting a second one and there are a few available.

3. Had shop-bought smoked haddock soup for lunch - a treat.

4. Sorted through my clothes looking at what might be suitable for non self-employed jobs. (I need to find one.) Discovered some garments that I'd archived that may well be brought back to life and some that still don't fit but I'm losing weight so will put them by.

5. Last episode of Keeping Faith. Have really enjoyed that series and glad that a second one is in development.

Sweet dreams

Bx
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 8th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 36,046 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Of thanks broomstick didn;t know a 2nd series was mooted
    I just made a huge bolognase sauce mhags
    1) walked to church. Glorious sunshine. Didnt need my coat
    2) eco group - we have won a grant but have lots to do. We;ll be introducing several ideas such as meatless Monday, using you LOAF (local, organic, animal-friendly, fair trade) and plastic free Friday
    3) 3 hours in the community garden helping chop wood for splitting, carrying logs from needing cutting to needing splitting to split (splat? Splotted?) and a bonfire. I will ache tomorrow!
    4) lift to lidl for milk and toilet paper. Bought several other things and forgot the toilet paper d;oh.
    5) dd2 safely home from Manchester. Longest drive she;s done on her own
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Apr 18, 12:36 AM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 41,972 Thanks
    Frith
    What ho, Broomstick.

Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well.

3) Bigger son's leg is getting better (finally).

4) Had an emergency phone replacement mission for bigger son. £25 PCWorld/Currys voucher for me.

5) Cup of tea and much amusement (for smaller son and me) in Sainsburys caf!. Bigger son was using his new phone to text all his friends so they would know his number. Also put my mum and sister's numbers into his "round robin" text.

Then some of his more "unorthodox" friends started replying with "safe, fam" etc and there came the realisation that possibly grandma and aunty would be able to see all the replies! :-D

6) Bigger son went out (still out, at a party) and smaller son and I went back to local English Heritage place. Smaller son has a thing about fountains. Got home and had a little thank you note for getting the new phone!

7) Made sausage casserole for tea and knocked up a shepherds pie for tomorrow's tea while I was in the kitchen.

8) Read part of Monty Don's book about Nigel.
    Last edited by Frith; 09-04-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Apr 18, 1:18 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 6,294 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Sunday pleasures

1. DB phoned from Germany. Has worked out moving date re our DSis as he will be hiring the moving van

2. DH happily watching MotoGP races Keeps him quiet for hours

3. Fish finger sandwiches for dinner

4. My silver anniversary present of a silver birch from DH has leaf buds on every twig

5. Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 14,762 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Went to garden centre for breakfast with DH. Came to £4.25 with free coffee and voucher. Sausages are locally produced from a proper butcher.

2. Used some vouchers for a couple of plants for hanging baskets as I can hang them on new greenhouse until it's time to put outside.

3. Went to a nursery and more plants. It's a tiny place but very cheap and good quality plants.

4. Planted all the plants in the garden in the rain.

5. Talked to a neighbour who I haven't seen in ages. I speak to her husband on a fairly regular basis.

6. Being totally unsympathetic to DS2 as he was suffering from a night out on Saturday.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 7,046 Thanks
    MandM90
    For the weekend:

1. Flower and orchid show in London with colleagues, then delicious vegan wrap in Pret.
    2. Gardening on Saturday evening - the garden is really starting to take shape!
    3. Cheapo lager in front of the incinerator with the hubs on Saturday night
    4. Crossfit - Sat and Sun - really really loving it. I'm aching loads today which feels good!
    5. Food - delicious butternut squash soup and lentil and root veg stew were enjoyed over the weekend. Only spent £28 in A$DA to top us up for the week - plenty of YS bargains to be had
    6. DH finally got his official official job offer - woohoo!! Extra bit of a fat in the budget and he's so excited - it's an amazing opportunity.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 24,929 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Hey Broomstick

Sunday pleasures,

Up early to heavy rain, little dog scuttled out and back in again just as quick so drank tea and snuggled on sofa.

Spainish beef stew in SC for lunch, all prepped night before so very, very lazy day.

All things birdy, watching Mr Blackibird jumping around garden with beak full of worms ready for his beloved no doubt, am trying to work out where the nest is. So many birds head towards the beech trees but think the blackies are in the hedge somewhere.

Finally a break in the rain so walk around the fields, blue and white violets, primroses and cowslips all coming through, beautiful.

A Christie fest of a feature length Poirot and then Ordeal by Innocence.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Your continued BoP Dollops!
    Well there you go. VL, what is a sausage? Theyíre called snorkers! Cheapo lager! Lager. Dear me! That is fizz pop, not proper wobbleade. Yous not get proper on fizz pop! Now yous has BoP on about foam drinks again!

Make a sweep of it gals, our Broom is back. All we need now is Sparra!
    To get a mention inn BoP Dollops all you have to do is eat carp foods!

V Got to say the dotted spick yesterday was fantastic. Just curious as to why this year we has run out of xmas puds before easter! Maybe I did them too good this year! Recipe available in October for those who want proper puds! Mind you, the dotted spick was rather lemony this week, and two helpings are left for next week! Just noticed that spill cheater had corrected spick to spice yesterday! Shame I cannot name it Spotted !!!!!

4 Back at mill this very morning with a lunch box packed with good foods! Salad, ham, cheese, cakes of Jaffa and a club. Then later another fish pie from yesterday as we has no room in the freezer for it to keep. BoPsie was licking her fork yesterday with the good food she had! Also we had chicken poodle soup! On about mill, and the millwright, he has been out with his cheque book and bought another mill!

3 Later today you can appreciate BoPís beach ready body, soon on tour at Anderby Creek, in the gym. Tour dates will be loaded here soon!

2 I have noticed that live Scrabble has not being played up around here recently. I must change this and throw down my gauntlet again. I cannot remember if BoPsie is only one win away from the chance of two on the bounce!

More Dollops of BoP tomorrow!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • house elf
    • By house elf 9th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 9,458 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Afternoon.

A sit down with a cup of tea and the iPad at last! The washing machine is Broken. It smells of burnt electrics and emptied gallons of water all over the utility floor when I openened the door. I have been researching and buying a new washing machine all day........

Yesterday

1. Boiled eggs and toast for breakfast.

2. A genteel wander around Antiques for Everyone. Some nice ideas, and inspiration.

3. Booked our holiday accommodation.

4. Ordeal by Innocence......the plot thickens.

5. Sunday Roast dinner.

I may finally finish grouting the shower Have a lovely evening
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 41,972 Thanks
    Frith
    Bad news re the washing machine, HouseElf :-(

Pleasures for today (Monday)

1) A lie in.

2) Hens OK but will buy more wormer food and grit tomorrow.

3) Made a breakfast omelette (omelette folded over sausages and beans) plus shepherds pie and peas for tea with rhubarb (picked today) and yoghurt.

4) Bigger son on good form today.

5) Garden has flowers coming through but it rained from 4pm onwards.

6) Read a bit more Monty Don.

7) Watched Would I Lie to You? then The Island with bigger son.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Apr 18, 11:07 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 36,046 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Hiss boo houseelf
    1) discovered a 7 min work out for glutes for people with bad knees.
    2) lovely walk in and lovely walk home. Not as warm as yesterday but defo spring in the air
    3) potato and Bol for lunch from the huge Bol made yesterday
    4) soup for tea made from dd1!!!8217;s kale that needed eating and yoghurt mrpiano can no longer eat due to being on exclusion diet from nutritionist. It was lish and I ate it all
    5) good young church meeting. We are a little thin on helpers at the moment but what we lose on quantity we make up for in laughs
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 6,294 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Yah, boo sucks house elf

Mondayís pleasures

1. My Mojo made an appearance

2. Vacuumed downstairs, cleaned rest of downstairs window frames & windows, washed down kitchen tiles & work surfaces + DH relocated more items into the garage - The pleasure is crossing all the tasks off my ĎTo Doí list how sad am I

3. DSis phoned - she has received the last ever package I need to send to France - pleasure is all the pennies I will save She also chatted happily to my DH for half an hour & his donkey lost all four legs

4. My lovely cousin phoned & she invited us to two family parties - her DBís 50th & her DSís 18th. 50th we will be in France but accepted the invite to the 18th.

5. Received invite to a christening & should be able to attend.

6. Burgers, egg & chips for dinner

7. Reading your posts.

MrsSD
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 10th Apr 18, 12:25 AM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 16,303 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Evening all. Thanks for the welcomes back.

Five pleasures for Monday:

1. Despite the rain, made myself get down to the allotment and got on with weeding and re-woodchipping some of the paths. Felt very virtuous.

2. Lovely chat with one of the committee who was also braving the rain.

3. Phone call from DS1 to tell me about a local radio interview he'd done this morning.

4. Very long soak in a hot bath (much needed).

5. Managed to get a handful of answers right in this evening's University Challenge semis - more than I expected at this stage in the competition.

Sweet dreams
    B x
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Apr 18, 6:43 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 14,762 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Realised that one of the gymnasts who has won medals at the Commonwealth games was at playgroup with DS2. He hasn't changed much.

2. Remembered to but a colleague a parking ticket for the month.

3. Had a pointless meeting again. I sat on the floor in a corner for my back but nobody could see me on my phone.

4. Had time in the garden after work to unwind.

5. Exercises helping my back still.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 24,929 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Monday pleasures,

Vet visit for Lu, she is now on year by year vaccinations, she hardly flinched as the needle went in and happily accepted her apple reward.

Driving home through the mizzly gloom and saw a patch of wild daffodils growing by side of road, brightened the day.

Cracked through chores and then sat down to read, got distracted by new blog of lady living in Canada, like her style.

French fish stew for tea, one of the BSD recipes, very tasty and more importantly filling!

Hmm, last episode of Marcella, a lot of storylines not finished and what I felt to be gratuitous violence at the end, will not be watching anymore so guess pleasure is itís finished!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

822Posts Today

6,257Users online

Martin's Twitter