Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,205Posts
    • 36,153Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 120
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 34,344 Thanks
    mhagster
    Pleasures for today.

Bit of a teary start to day. It's been a year ( Australia time) since OH's funeral. So , kind of tripped up by many memories today.

Usual morning chores of sweeping and floor washing, the dog is casting even more than usual. Washing done. One load indoors as it was raining and one outdoors as it had stopped! My bedding changed and all before bedtime!

Walked to visit my old 'old' neighbour . Lovely to see her. Her niece was in too so we had a good blether and catch up and some laughter too.

Popped into T and got a lively bouquet of flowers very RTC and an RTC pink hyacinth too. Was aware I was being stared at...friends dad who had recognised me. Quick chat. Over the muddy field home.

Made BLT in a wholemeal wrap for me and on toast for DS.

Friends daughter came with a gift of bee bombs which have wildflower seeds in them.

Nice doggy walk with DD2 , met our friends also out walking and had a quick chat.

Continuing to search for particular thing but encountering others! Decluttering as I go along.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 42,492 Thanks
    Frith
    Thinking of you, MHags.

Pleasures for today (still only Tuesday!)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) House tidying including putting the fireguard away for another spring/summer. For 17 years I have glared at it as it is rusty and grubby and cobbled together from 2 ancient mothercare mesh fireguards to make a cube with a door to fit over/round the woodburning stove. Every year I look online for purpose built ones that aren't held together with cable ties!

3) Hens well.

4) Went to local NT place for my lunch.

5) Smaller son texted many times in a panic because his taxi sharing friend had been sick at school (oh, the horror!) and he couldn't possibly share a taxi with him because WHAT IF HE WAS SICK AGAIN?! Could I collect him - no, I was miles away. I then received an email from his TA that he had been "melodramatic" which amused me.

6) Met my school friend for a cup of tea.

7) Parked outside the house and smaller son jumped in the car and I took him directly to McDs to meet his friends then they walked on to the football match. I sat in the car for 3.5 hours, with breaks to look round Sainsburys then have a cup of tea in Costa. It always makes your heart sink when Costa shuts at 8pm and you've then got 1.5 hours left to sit in the car... I had read my magazine thoroughly when a tall, dark hooded figure shot past on a skateboard, doubled back, then did a little dance and a wave and it was bigger son!

On we went to park outside the football ground just to see the football soar over the stands and do a massive bounce off the pavement by our car!

8) Have just got home and have 2 hwbs in bed and will watch Holby City just now.
    Last edited by Frith; 13-03-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Mar 18, 1:33 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Tuesday’s pleasures

1. DH managed to speak to a PERSON at the Council Offices so hopefully the broken sofa & office chair, fence panels & old mattress will be picked up on Wednesday.

2. Made Melting Moments biscuits Thanks for the recipe JackieO

3. DH got rid of more clutter at the Tip, then did sm shop

4. Good phone chat with my DSis

5. Tasty dinner - Sausage Casserole from freezer with boiled rice.

6. Reading your pleasures.

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 15,096 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Long conversation with DS1. He has a job interview today. After passing the interviews last week he can now apply for assistant managers positions. Hopefully he will be successful but it will be good experience.

2. Did some exercise. I downloaded some routines so with those and my physio exercises I may lose weight and become fitter.

3. Daffodils still looking good and lit my new scented candle.

4/ DH saw MIL by himself. It is always a huge pleasure when I don't have to see her.

5. A lovely sunrise.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 25,680 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

A dryer day and when the sun broke through there was real warmth in it.

A good schooling session with my horse, she was very laid back and relaxed with no spooks, good stuff.

When I put her back in the field just sat on the grass for a while and watched her graze, now and again she would come up to me and smell my hair

Finally a t’internet engineer who got up the telegraph poles to check the physical integrity of the line, after 8 weeks our communication problems might finally be sorted!

Watched Shetland which I am really enjoying.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 14th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Peeps,

RL very busy, so here is a conglomeration of recent Pleasures.

1. Mothers Day afternoon tea at our house with some of my favourite mothers and children. (DD sent a Moonpig card.).......Prosecco, posh sandwiches, the guests brought HM cake and we got to use the best china.

2. I too did not have to visit MiL.

3. Visit to Cadbury World with Y11 class. They were well behaved and enjoyed themselves. At the end of the visit, my little ‘looked after’ student thanked me for taking her, as she had never been to Cadbury World before. .......that’s what my job should be about. Brought a lump to my throat.

4. Good nights sleep, cos got the visit to Cadbury World done without incident. Phew! Staff thanked me for such a relaxed visit.....

5. Fakeaway KFC for tea.

6. Kite Runner at REP. Excellent!

There are probably more, but have to stop, as Minibus training course about to start.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 14th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 8,428 Posts
    • 32,726 Thanks
    ampersand
    & in poor nick since w/e, as with t'internet/t'wireless/all comms generally.
    Consistency, at least:-)
    Lainey, if your chap leaves you with surplus fixits, could they be sent this way?
    If 'Shetland'= Ann Cleeves' excellent cpns of Jimmy Perez, do read them:-)

Hope Mon=end of hospital for a while.
    #
    1. Enjoying old Carleton Hobbs/Sherlock Holmes, when it works-
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09v8t0s

2. Eternal smiles on this Day of pi[can't make symbol appear, annoyingly]
    Stephen Hawking, fiercely articulate scientist, lover of life/good wine/pretty women, gifted thinker/campaigner for Cambridge MP, DZ - and LP and the NHS.

3. Reading, listening, when poss.

4. Managed call to France yday - M's bday, 73. Blocked in and cut off for over a fortnight. Phone re-connected only at lunchtime. The lower outside mill wall crumbled in the night. 'Big noise' said M. & response, 'Won't cost 2/6d to put up again either' made M laugh. Present has apparently arrived at Nice, who had just called to say 'It's the wrong colour!' What???
    Plenty of anti-grenouille fioul for bop there:-)

5. Enjoyed the 'didn't have to visit mil' posts, vl. You too, vjm, with any luck....
    #
    All take care, please.
    Frith, do you not take thermos+bk+separate radio with you?
    Really hope elder son gets that job.

& had hopes of coach>Barnes for w/e club rugby, but that can't happen now.
    France did a nice thing though)))))
    #
    Apologies to bop for x-posting, disappears, back agains...maybe's.

Am also consistently shut out on mob. - 'no such person' etc.etc.
    Leaving the H bed made this post poss.
    Last edited by ampersand; 14-03-2018 at 8:22 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 30,352 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    At the end of the day.
    There are other sauces for news about BoP, but only one unofficial channel. So to subscribe to the official version, please click here now! The other version contains graphic images of decent food and other soft things that make you all giggly! Now imagine of you only had one sauciness of news about BoP and how clouded that could be, yet you did not know about the other source?

5 Got to say the flix of net is being watched a lot this weak! Another Adam Sandler last eve, The Cobbler. OK you missed it because you read the reviews written by the sheople and no one does reviews any more. Well I suggest than rather sitting watching bull on the thing of ogle, you watch this instead! Got it, and the pop corn is good for you as well! More BoP film reviews in future updates.

4 On about corn, at the Palais de BoP we currently have two BrekFests on the go, Flakes of Golden Corn, and biscuits of weet! All served with fresh cold milk and juice. This is how BoP stays sharp and focused during the day. Proper foods, and not the sugared beri beri snacks full of glucose and carp. Avoid!

3 Got paint for downstairs loo thingy. Will be well brushed on Saturday, and as we has some cake inn as well, it will be too good, updates will follow later this weak. Normal snorker fest will also occur.

2 Nite BoP will be exercising his will to curry the favours of the stokers at the mill as we herd off down to the wobbleade emporium for a session. Further updates are unlikely!

Now with this news on pi day, you can relax nowings that your version of the life of BoP continues as normal!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 75,671 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Yes, also didn't visit the MiL -

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Nice walk in the early morning sun - only brief but felt good
    2. Bath with the first episode of this season's shetland. i have never watched it before so will have to try to get hold of back seasons. of course the first episode ended so dramatically, I had to watch the start of the second
    3. Boxed up my music magpie sales - £50 will be added to the coffers shortly (posted today)
    4. Cooked harissa chicken with stir fried veg. Was lish and used up some veg that had seen better days
    5. Booked our holiday - all four of us are going, which hasn't happened in a while. A boat on the River Lot in France

have a nice afternoon / evening all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 11,708 Posts
    • 162,694 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) DD2s rocking horse that has lived in our loft for the past 20 years has a new home in the local infants school. We put him on the drive yesterday and the deputy head spotted him as she drove past and stopped to take his photo and the Head said yes please! fantastic result!

2) Bought a new wok yesterday whey I was in town and made us veg stir fry today as He Who Knows said 'Oh no not soup again!', very yummy it was too.

3) Bumped into a doggy walking friend when I was out with Cookie and very pleased to find she now has a job in the school office. She's been dinner ladying for several years and this will be less hours for her but more interesting.

4) The daffodils behind the hedge are all out in bloom, sheltered little spot so they won't get flattened by the wind either, so pretty.

5) Heard woodpeckers with their yaffley laughing cry when I walked along the lanes today, always makes me smile!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 34,344 Thanks
    mhagster
    Sitting with a dog boy by my side. Been a bit of an emotionally assaulting kind of day with memories of this time last year .

But dog walks. Dry weather ( though blooming cold). Fajitas for tea. Clothes that didn't fit now fitting. Type written letter from DD1. Wrote a letter back lPosting some forms off. The sticking of sticky hooks in my room so I can wind the cord from my blinds up properly. Chat with neighbour/ friend.

Tomorrow is another day.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Mar 18, 12:23 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 20,326 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Wanted to say hugs Mhagster.

I’m lurking and reading, thank you for your pleasures.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Mar 18, 4:04 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Wednesday pleasures

1. Dry bright start to day

2. still no big item council collection BUT DH managed to speak to a competent person - so hopefully it will be a proper pleasure on Thursday

3. DH took another load of rubbish to the Tip so both the garden & garage are gradually getting tidied

4. No cooking - finishing off the slices of pie & samosas DH bought yesterday.

5. Finding various currencies (notes) of places we will probably not visit again & working out that we probably have at least £50/£60 worth to change at bank. Shame about the US$ but Donald the Hump has put the kibosh on us visiting the States any time soon

6. Reading your pleasures

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Mar 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 15,096 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Fairly good day at work. Some of what was said at the meeting has been taken in board. Not all of it though.

2. Enjoyed my book on the bus to work.

3. Went bowling for the first time in years. It was for a colleagues birthday. Four of had sent and I finished third!! It was fun but probably won't go bowling in a regular basis.

4. Parking was free. I had remembered to take change with me though.

5. House feeling warm when I arrived home and DH had cooked for himself.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 15th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. New windows finally fitted. Soz for gratuitous pic: The house is warmer and quieter. I think we will cheap out and go UPVC on the rest of the house. As much as I hate plastic there is no way I can justify wood throughout
    2. Window fitters said we needed a bit of repointing done, grabbed a builder who was repointing a wall on our street for a quote to repoint the front of the house...he said it isn't necessary and he'd recommend just doing the bits around the window for £200. GREAT! Have booked him in.
    3. Have emailed and texted a guy about loft ladder installation. Right now DH has to get the ladder from behind the shed, use it to get into the loft, then take it back down the stairs and into the garden! Think hatch, ladder and light installation will be about £550 but I think it'll be worth it for the convenience of being able to pop Chrissy stuff, camping equipment and suitcases up and down more easily.
    4. DD's grandparents came back from holidaying in Iran, which is my pleasure because her granny is an angel and I've been struggling so much to make all the pick ups and drop offs around work! Also she bought me a big jar of saffron and some lovely teas!
    5. House is tidy and calm. Beds are made, kitchen surfaces are cleared and there are fresh flowers in every room downstairs. Bliss.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 25,680 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Windows look fab MandM we also have wooden sash, they are v efficient.

Wednesday pleasures,

Farrier visit early doors, pony was a treasure and need to remind myself how far we come in the last 7 months.

The weather was dry and blowy so much washing dried on line.

Day before food shopping so wonky veg soup for lunch.

The daffodils are up in the garden and birds very busy in the hedges

Early to bed, feet on HWB and book in hand. Totally blame & for how addicted I am to M O’Briens D Jacquot books, now on fourth!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 30,352 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Come and look at what you could have won!!
    They’re going down like ninepins this week, just wondered if anyone is being tickled in the queue!

When I’s cleaning windars!

5 Curryed favours last night and a wobblade was sunk as well. Tum was rubbed!

4 Back at the mill of fortunes again. As I pack my own lunch box, today I am expectant of call from BoPsie about the biscuit of club. There are none in our fridge, but last night two were in there. I bet you cannot guess what has happened to them? Tum is being rubbed at the moment!

3 On about proper foods again, this morning BoP was put on his way to the mill after wolfing down SpagYetti hoops on hot buttered toast!

2 Tonight BoP is at the camera club and we will see

In case you have been affected by the events in BoP’s Life, you can use the power of the MSE ignore feature and turn these daily updates off!

But you don’t want to do that!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 11,708 Posts
    • 162,694 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A very lovely and chivalrous man at the tip when I was trying to find out where to put the spent batteries. Could I get the little round seal off on the barrel? NO I COULD NOT! so he wandered up and said in a kind voice 'Are you having problems Madam?' smiled gently and just picked up the lid!!! Numpty of the year award goes to MOI!!! and he didn't laugh either, blessings upon him!

2) Putting the washing out on the garden line in the sun, blissful!

3) Best pleasure, hearing a buzzard calling 'keehaar' and looking up to find him and seeing 7 yes that is SEVEN all spiralling together on the thermals. Never ever in my life have I seen that many together it was majestic.

4) Found another lovely jumper at the garden centre in the sale, it makes two in a week which is naughty but I would never have paid the asking price so this really is a pleasure.

5) Talking to our Estate Agent this morning and finding the lovely news that all 3 of our viewers so far are really interested in the property because of it's size and the garden and are all 3 on the market to sell their own as quickly as they can. I have hopes this move will actually go ahead.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 20,326 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 We have today had new front and back doors fitted, it is an incredible what an improvement they are, and very recommended trades people as well.
    2 Having time to make some mince pies with various bits of homemade mince made over Christmas.
    3 Cooked up fake takeaway chicken fillet for lunch and cooked sausages with it for toad in the hole this evening.
    4 Answered more solicitor questions, I’m very glad I track everything and glad its thrown back.
    5 Clean bedding on for both us and the animals and other loads running through the wash.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 15th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    MandM90
    1 We have today had new front and back doors fitted, it is an incredible what an improvement they are, and very recommended trades people as well.
    2 Having time to make some mince pies with various bits of homemade mince made over Christmas.
    3 Cooked up fake takeaway chicken fillet for lunch and cooked sausages with it for toad in the hole this evening.
    4 Answered more solicitor questions, I’m very glad I track everything and glad its thrown back.
    5 Clean bedding on for both us and the animals and other loads running through the wash.
    Originally posted by Purple kitten
    We did new front and back doors two weeks ago and it makes our entire kitchen and side of house look MILES better. Only wish I hadn't waited so long!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin