Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,206Posts
    • 36,164Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 118
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 76,181 Thanks
    VJsmum
    [FONT="Georgia"]Once again, thank you for sharing your pleasures - a reliable source of comfort and encouragement as RL swirls, dips, swoops & occasionally goes Thud against things.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    A murmuration of real life.

Pleasures for yesterday

1. yoga - even when i don't fancy it I am always glad i've gone
    2. two loads of washing done - mostly I line dry, and it is often one of my pleasures. Time constraints yesterday mean that the pleasure was the tumble drier.
    3. Avo, sourdough and bacon for lunch - one of my favouritist things
    4. In sorting out some filing / storage for the still not finished study, i came across one of OH's schoolbooks - his take of the three wise men was hysterical; invented by the Victorians apparently to prolong christmas... Still chortling
    5. train to ICT - unusually i caught a very late train, arriving at 10.15 pm. But it was fairly uneventful and the house didn't take too long to warm up when I got here (we keep heating at a min of 12 and was reading at 15 when i arrived.)

i am on a 'study break' at ICT - I have got very behind due to real life (there it goes again DforV) and am on a mission to do some catching up. I don't think anyone else i know is here so there's no excuse. May fit in a trip to the pictures though.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,027 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Our viewers of yesterday like the house very much and have gone on the market to sell theirs. Encouraging that two of the three viewings have been so positive.

2) The hot chocolate I have just had coming back from walking Cookie. It feels dark, dank and cold outside, more like November than March.

3) Lots of daffodils out in gardens all round the village, on a day like today they are the biggest brightness.

4) Picture on the phone of those Grandpickles sporting newly cut hair, little O now looks like a toddler and Zebra has been 'gelled' and his hair is almost standing up on end, so cute.

5) Hot home made soup for lunch, can't beat it.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 34,611 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello!

It's been a most beautiful bright day here. Almost springlike .

Nice walk with Mr H and his ladies.

Walked to slimming club, lost half pound so 11 altogether and considering what I ate last week half off was acceptable.

Popped into a friends on way back with a thank you card for their kind gift for Dd2.

Walked to T, got a few things that I could carry in my back pack and walked back.

Walked to hairdressers , lovely hair do, begone grey and hello fringe! Walked back.

OH's best friend popped in this evening with some positive news.

Washing dried on line.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Mar 18, 12:49 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 42,952 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick update this evening as it is so late. Bigger son was late coming out of work (local pub) which has set me back a bit.

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well.

3) We took the old oil filled radiator to the tip.

4) Bigger son went to see his friends.

5) Did the charity shops, other odd jobs and went to the library.

6) Fish and chips from the van for tea.

7) Smaller son had a fantastic week at school so I had an email about him. A big improvement on the term so far.

8) Bigger son went to work and did a long shift so will have plenty of money next week! He also has an interview for a potential replacement little job on Monday.

9) Watched Gogglebox and the Last Leg.

10) In bed and about to listen to the Now Show.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th Mar 18, 6:54 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 9,928 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Guys,

Worked sooooo hard yesterday, left work late, but still didn’t feel I had done enough. Felt really down.

Yesterday

1. DS2 Playlist has changed slightly on the way to school. Different ELO songs.

2. Did get the task I was supposed to do,finished, but it was hard work!

3. Tidied a space in my room next to the printer. Hoping to do a box a night before I go home. Make the office more professional, rather than a dumping ground!

3. Got some pretty prosecco in Mr A for presents.

4. Friend had comp tickets for a play and she bought us cocktails afterwards. Lovely end to the week, but think I may have dozed off and missed a whole act As we sipped our after show cocktails, I booked us some more tickets for a free film at the Literary Festival.

5. Sloppy Joes in the slow cooker turned out really well, and had just enough time to eat it before setting out for the theatre.

Managed 5 O/S pleasures for the day

Busy day today, so must stop lounging and start doing. Have a lovely day.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Collected new glasses. First time with varifocals and still getting used to them. Had to smile at the conversation a couple were having next to me while waiting.

2. Paid some change into the bank. The cash machine was working which is a rarity.

3. Spoke to my neighbour when we were both out feeding the birds.

4. DS2 cooked a red wine and chorizo risotto which was lovely.

5. Arranged to meet friends this evening. Decided on a restaurant easily which is unusual. We wanted to go somewhere not too expensive and she is gluten and dairy free vegetarian and her husband and DH are both very much carnivores.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 10th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 8,434 Posts
    • 32,796 Thanks
    ampersand
    Another large catch-up post lost c.5 bells AND then another post saying so.
    Can't re-do anything now.
    Reading everyone's pleasures when things work here, as briefly this morning.

Thank you all.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 26,365 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Tentative start to spring cleaning, washed down woodwork in main bathroom and removed blind to clean.

Found origin of mystery banging noise when in the study, the jackdaws are trying to remove the chimney cowling!

Stayed in all afternoon awaiting yet another visit from t’internet engineer but no show guess pleasure was it raining anyway and allowed me time to watch The Jane Austin Book Club.

The return of Gardeners World.

Clean sheets and a new book to start.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 76,181 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

Went no-where yesterday so will try to find 5 pleasures

1. Put the bins out just before the bin men came (am i scraping the barrel just a little bit?)
    2. Nice bath with a couple of chapters of my book
    3. Lots of work done - I am here on a study break so that was the purpose
    4. Had to drink wine cos I'd run out of tea bags the supermarket is literally over the road but it was raining
    5. Scraping the bottom of the barrel food wise (see post 4) - thought I had a portion of spag bol, turned out to be gravy so had egg and chips..

I have now been to said supermarket so am now stocked up again...

The good news is that friends are on their way and have promised a night out at the cafe bar..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 30,624 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Light to the World
    5 Snorker fest this moaning with haricot beans and mushroom, grilled toms and Tea. Tum was well rubbed!

4 Last eve watched Paddington 2. Fantastic. Wobbleades were consumed!

3 Had to pop out to get some haslet for my sandwich later today. Chicken is brewing for Bitsers later!

PM2DD god has walked the hallowed turf at the Theatre of Fish.

Change could be sudden
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 30,624 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    PM2DD

No further missives!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,027 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A very naughty pleasure.....I remembered buying a small gingerbread for Christmas which went up uneaten into the store room and was today retrieved, boy is it GOOD!!!

2) We've been looking after the two gorgeous spaniels who live next door while their parents go to a family gathering so lovely walkies, lots of cuddles and wagging tails and playing ball in the garden.

3) Walking Cookie too and managing to get round just as one shower stopped and only getting the edge of the next one as I came up the road from dropping her home.

4) Meeting lots of doggie friends on the afternoon walk, Rupert the labradoodle who is absolutely gorgeous and looks (and always has since I first met him as 12 weeks) like his namesake Rupert the Bear, Yogi the pug, Dyson the chocolate lab and a new little spaniel whose name I didn't catch but he was lovely.

5) Passing an entire border of tiny daffodils, like Wordsworth's by the lake, perfection in the sun.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 34,611 Thanks
    mhagster
    Love, love, loving that days are stretching out at both sides.

Early morning chat with my sister.

Drove to T, in and out. Got what I was going in for and nothing else.

Saturday roll and slice sausage ! Schlurp!

Made meringues and carrot cakes. Aunt was coming through and had missed out on birthday celebrations due to weather last week.

The niecely people came ( but the Aunty and the granny didn't come over as early as had been said so they had to go) GN & I made pancakes with leftover egg yolks , they were inhaled...as were the meringues when I issued the oh, go on then just have one as we were fed up waiting!

A very enthusiast reaction to the waterproof jacket I'd bought GN. Navy polka dots and worn home! Much laughter when she was here. I love the interaction between my niece and my kids.

Much rain today. I quite like watching it run down the windows. My clean windows! Gave them a clean this morning. Had had birthday thing sup and had taken them down.

Tea is being delivered tonight!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 42,952 Thanks
    Frith
    An extra pleasures for yesterday that I forgot to type:

After dropping bigger son off in carpet town, was driving to nearer town to go to the library etc. As I drove along the riverbank to get to the bridge, a gaggle of geese walked out in front of me! I managed to block my lane of traffic and the one next to me by parking and keeping my door open and stopped the traffic coming towards me. Then I herded the geese back on to the river bank. :-)

Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in.

2) Bigger son went to his father's (smaller son has not been yet this year) but reappeared after a few hours and has now come home altogether.

3) Hens well and I had a little bonfire and tidy of the allotment.

4) A metaphorical wild goose chase this afternoon to buy some butter etc for profiteroles as our local town has nothing in. The shelves in both little supermarkets were bare!

5) Off to Sainsburys (other direction) with smaller son where we got everything with no difficulty. At one point smaller son hissed at me, "Give me the car keys and DON'T LOOK!" so I think a mother's day present may have been bought...

6) Smaller son is making profiteroles as a test run before making some for my parents and brother (and us) tomorrow.

7) Just watched Casualty.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 7,795 Posts
    • 22,919 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    At one point smaller son hissed at me, "Give me the car keys and DON'T LOOK!" so I think a mother's day present may have been bought...
    Originally posted by Frith
    Awww! (From the woman who shamelessly brought a *handful* of colour-me-in cards stocked by McDonalds as an Unsubtle Hint to my chaps.) Not holding my breath, either.

Other OS Pleasures recently
    Tree branches are beginning to show green buds but the cherry trees remain demurely sealed. The reckless generosity is not impulsive.

The photo mug for my mum has arrived - & my young thugs look charmingly endearing thereupon, so I hope she enjoys it. Bonus is undoubtedly that it does not answer back...

Martin's interview. My word, my affection & respect for the man has cranked up several more notches. I'm so so glad he's both a daddy (& can do Mother's Day now) & his work with Grief Encounter. "It is far better to remember the wonderful person that you lost, than that you lost a wonderful person." Bless him.

We've got the right chuck for the lathe! Been gently keeping an eye open for about three years so today was something of a red letter day & Keighley has become 'the place with the chuck'. Oh, the to-get-around-to list Himself now has...

Middleson covered himself in disgrace by abusing not one but two very specific saws. Fortunately, said child has promised full replacement but has yet to actually apologise for using the wrong tool, despite the right ones being in the same pot. We are in mild awe. I ordered one replacement saw that Was Wrong, was scolded, messaged them stat & they have already refunded the whole palaver. (As I say, some times the little things can leave me beaming.)

Child has handed me three "free 500 ml coke zero" chits discovered in amongst a sixpack of cokes acquizzed for lunch. He refuses to try to interact with these himself as "they never work for me", so it looks like I'll be lugging several bottles of zero back with the shopping. The packed lunches suddenly got more interesting.

Right. Back to RL & whatever Mothers Day brings. All health strength love courage luck & defensive headgear & footwear as indicated to such as have need!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 36,164 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    pm2bop good day for fish, bad day for boaters
    1) weather miserable so started spring cleaning - living room done
    2) made scrummy spicy green lentils from cranks cookery book which has been liberated from holding up broken sofa - new sofa arriving Friday
    3) sat in nice clean living room (had already bought 2 armchairs in sale) and started reading book club book as still raining
    4) semiramide with dd1 live from met. Totally absurd story but fantastic singing. She assures me if she accidentally stabs me she;ll have been going for mrpiano rofl
    5) home to a pizza box with ;eat me; written on the lid. So we did :P
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Met a friend for coffee and we had a good catch up.

2. DS2 played rugby and scored a try. He also came off with slight concussion when someone his chin was hit with someone head.!

3. DS2 explaining that he can't drive so won't be able to buy me a card but does have a present.for me. He also said if one of his friends is around he will see him today as his friend lost his Mum a couple of years ago so finds Mothers day hard.

4. Met friends for a meal. It was good food and reasonably priced. We were the last to leave but a very enjoyable evening.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 26,365 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

Time to myself whilst Capt S met eldest for breakfast, just me and little dog eating toast and listening to Rev Rich.

After that a productive morning in the garden, finally attacked the buddleia and reduced to manageable 2ft plant, also tidied the honeysuckles and clematis.

Over to see Lu after lunch, weather very mild so she had a mini bath, greys are hard work!

Lovely hay man turned up with 15 bales, should keep pony in style accustomed to etc.

New to me chocolate, dark with orange and ginger, oh my.

Extra pleasure, after the days exertions no pain at all from tendonitis
    • house elf
    • By house elf 11th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 9,928 Thanks
    house elf
    Happy Mothering Sunday,

Yesterday

1. Visit from lovely young man who might manage our kitchen extension project if it ever happens.

2. Trip to Costco for lunch and petrol for DH and flowers for DH’s DM.

3. Thor at IMAX film festival. (Forgot it had so many funny lines in it ).

4. Costco meatballs for tea.

5. Evening by the fire catching up with TV. Even managed a glass of wine.

Have a lovely Mother’s Day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 11th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Flo61
    Watched Toast on Netflix. Film based on autobiography of chef Nigel slater. Amusing but also touching. Good acting.

Alexa playing random music. Song !!!8216;my dearest dear!!!8217; my mum used to sing solo in church when I was little girl.

Homemade curried celery soup for tea.

Went on motorised exercise bike for 5 mins.

Did first drawing for own pleasure since starting beginners art class. Only a bottle on table but never thought I!!!8217;d get to this point! Hated art at school. Bottom of class.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin