Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,205Posts
    • 36,153Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 117
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 7th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 34,353 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Must have fallen asleep before posting last night.

Yesterday the architect came first thing. Did his survey and I should get plans next week.

Went into town with DD2 who had vouchers to spend so spend them she must! I got a pair of smart trousers and a pair of very comfy red leather loafers in charity shops.

Went for lunch which was cheap and cheerful.

Went delivering some of her thank you cards.

She has handed in her notice at work. It was a very toxic environment and not good for her at all. Sighs of relief all round .

For today ...

Well up and out early in my smart new to me trousers ( and breathe in ...) and red shoes and off I went. Parked in supermarket and took train for an interview. I'm not sure how it went , I felt I answered well but maybe someone else will have answered differently. If it's meant to be it shall be.

Spoke to DD1 a couple of times. Sometimes it's just as quick to call than to type!

Had to wait a couple of hours for train back so had a very good mooch around charity shops. Got a few tops and a pair of jeans for me and a dress and jacket for GN.

I loved the train rides in both directions. And so much cheaper and quicker than the bus. Haven't driven there in over 9 years so didn't fancy tackling rush hour traffic and not knowing where I was going / parking etc.

Got a couple of RTC plants for garden and a huge ham RTC now in the freezer for Easter at supermarket where I'd parked.

Good chit chats with kids when I got back and DS had a call and a job interview tomorrow . So crossing fingers and toes for him.

They had RTC pizza and I had omelette and salad for tea.

Trying to find some paperwork ( which to be fair I'm sure I left with DD1 as its my Australian car stuff which she now has) and encountering other stuff which can certainly be thrown out! And found a form I needed to! But didn't find what I was looking for as I really do t think it's here but have emailed company!

Met my old (84) neighbour in the middle of M&S in interview town...we were both surprised to see each other . Had a quick chat and I will go and visit soon...just not on a Monday...she's at Pilates then! She's amazing for her age and will look forward to seeing her.

Bit of a drizzly on and off kind of day.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 7th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 42,527 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son was the only child not ill that goes in his taxi so they sent a car today, rather than the usual little van thing. He got in the back and looked as though he was being driven away to open a supermarket!

3) Hens well.

4) A very enjoyable day of archaeology including home made soup.

5) House reasonably tidy.

6) Played a bit of football with smaller son.

7) Made broccoli cheese (with pasta etc) for tea which bigger son said is his favourite. Bigger son made a treacle sponge.

8) Watched DIY SOS then the cancer fund raising special of GBBO.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Mar 18, 12:44 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 7,499 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Tuesday’s pleasures

1. Good night’s sleep - night caps are definitely conducive to sleeping well

2. Full fried breakfast, plenty of juice & coffee

3. Got turned down by first bank we visited But second bank was more than happy to accept our money in the next couple of months - have appointment for tomorrowto sort the paperwork.

4. Cappuccino & cake

5. Were going to buy me some cheap trainer type shoes But found a Sketc..rs shop so treated myself to a pair & now I know what size I can order my next pair online

6. Three postcards for those people who send me one, each time they travel. Stamps bought from THE GPO on O’Connell Street - more cappuccino & cake then back to hotel.

7. Wrote postcards & posted in the lovely green postbox outside the hotel I feel very virtuous as usually I mail postcards when I get home

8. DH had burger & chips, I had beef & guiness pie & although mash was Not on the menu, I asked & received mash+

Wednesday’s pleasures

1. Good sleep - can do it without a night cap

2. Full fried breakfast etc

3. Appointment at bank went well - Tara was a delight to talk to

4. Cappuccino & cake - there is a theme here

5. Back to hotel in the sunshine,dropped off paperwork etc & then on an open-topped bus for a 2 hour tour of Dublin with live commentary We lao

6. Sun kept playing peek-a-boo & the very chilly wind decided to put in an appearance - so when tour finished - yes.... you’ve guessed it - cappuccino & cream cakes

7. Back to hotel to get warm then out for dinner - same place - different meals - DH had fish’n’chips, I had lasagne - good food at fairly reasonable prices +

8. Back to room to get warm again, then a nightcap or two, bath & bed!

9. Reading your pleasures.

Nighty night

MrsSD
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Mar 18, 6:04 AM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 30,364 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Thought for the day!
    Today is International Women' Day.

Now if you watch the Bolshevik Broadcasting Comisariat, just remember that the biggest prosecutor of women in the UK is this organisation!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/02/tv_licensing_two_thirds_prosecutions_women_one_lon don_court/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/24/in-court-non-payment-tv-licence-television-desperate-cases
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 08-03-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • house elf
    • By house elf 8th Mar 18, 6:18 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    house elf
    Mrs SD sounds like an enjoyable break. Probably haven’t been to Dublin for about 20 years. Need to go!

Yesterday

1. Nice chat with DS2 on the way to school, and got to work earlier cos temporary traffic lights had gone.

2. Took my lovely, but lively DT group to museum. They were fabulous. Asked and answered lots of questions. Enjoyed the workshop afterwards. All back safe and sound. Phew!

3. Did a bit of training after school with some new staff. They were lovely.

4. Too tired to go to the cinema, so stayed in and watched Back in time for Tea and £1 Houses. Both getting a bit irritating now. Wanted to watch Bake off and DIY SOS, but DH not keen.

5. Text from my freebie hunter friend with plans to meet up tonight and Friday.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 8th Mar 18, 7:00 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 15,099 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Spent some time in the garden. Started to dig a new vegetable bed. Didn't do much as it was very hard work as muddy but it is started. Also moved some soil back into base area of new greenhouse.

2. Started painting the kitchen. Doing a white base coat to cover the yellow . It will need at least two more coats of paint. I aggrieved finished the first one yet!

3. Finished left over macaroni cheese for lunch.

4. Enjoyed reading my book for a couple of hours this afternoon.

5. House reasonably tidy.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 25,726 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Capt S washed my car for me, might have been splashed by a tractor with trailer, might not have been able to see correct colour of car.

Met up with a pal for lunch at big garden centre in Uni City, just a sandwich but very enjoyable and good to catch up on all news. We had a wander afterwards and talked about creating cutting flower gardens.

Home and walked little dog around the field, everything is starting to burst into life and birds are very vocal in the hedges.

Caught up on first episode of GBBO, cried at the end with lovely Mr Turnbull

Early to bed with my book.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 8th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    MandM90
    Thursday pleasures:

1) It's Thursday...yay! Am ambling downhill towards the weekend now.

2) Have been super busy but boss really happy with my work, so yay! Also on work front DH has a telephone interview with an amazing company which may bring us a step closer to being able to live on the continent for a year!

3) Looking forward to lunch: homemade vegan shepherdless pie with swede mash topping and cabbage.

4) Muscles nicely sore from CrossFit. It's expensive so not very OS, but cheaper than the pub and makes me feel GREAT, so worth it I also slept like a LOG last night as a result.

5) French class tonight. Unprepared, but I always enjoy it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 30,364 Thanks
    Girl’s Talk …
    5 I doubt ifs I will get a word inn edge ways today with you lot around the parish!

4 Was inn town yesterday, and had cheese on toast, with ham and pineapple! Wobbleade was taken inn moderation. Johnny the con was trying his luck with his paper worthlesses. Fortunately the lass on bar took wind of his fake £20s. Early though, we normally see them when they come to the CheltScum Festival!

3 came inn to the mill with BoPsie this morning, and she is off with my hard earned cash!

2 Well yesterday our #RAF100 IoM stamps arrived! They now hang on the all!

All is good in the Life of BoP
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 11,729 Posts
    • 162,935 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Another viewing of the house this afternoon.....we'll take refuge over a pot of tea in Cookies pub for the duration.

2) Trip to Chichester this morning in the sunshine to get some obscure ingredients that I can't source locally, now in my store cupboard, hoorah!

3) Walking Cookie this afternoon and finding a whole grass verge (in a sunny spot) covered in tiny deep purple real wild violets and celandines with their eyes fully open, mini suns, So pretty and so welcome after all the cold weather we've had lately.

4) House is tidier and cleaner than I've ever known, keep thinking it belongs to someone else, we do lived in!

5) He Who Knows has just steam mopped all the hard floors downstairs, bless him!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 75,713 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Oh Mrs LW - I used to go to Chichester for my holidays as my uncle lived there. Well, it was Birdham that we used to go to, such happy memories of summers that were always sunny, and trips to Wittering and Bracklesham bay on the bus.... Fab..

Pleasures for yesterday

1. busy trains but a i got a bank of 2 seats both ways
    2. my workshop had been cancelled but the email didn't go out until late and i didn't see it. Luckily i was going down to London (up? to London?) anyway
    3. Walked to station, to university and then to parliament square. Such lovely walks in the sunshine. Who knew there were pelicans in St James' park? Not I
    4. Excellent lunch interview with 2 prominent women in construction - and one of them paid, perfect.
    5. Put up pictures in newly decorated lounge - inching closer to finishing.

Have a good day / evening all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 11,729 Posts
    • 162,935 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I love Chichester in the summer when the Peregrine Falcons are raising a brood on the Cathedral Spire. They set up cameras in the Refectory Caf! garden,and a big screen, magic!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 42,527 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today:

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well.

3) Went to Hereford where they were putting the Tower of London poppies up the side of the cathedral (I had forgotten that was this week). Had lunch in my favourite caf!.

4) Popped to Ludlow on the way home for the charity shops but did not find anything.

5) Picked smaller son up from school and went to Sainsburys.

6) Bigger son is at games night with my brother and brother in law.

7) Just been watching One Born Every Minute.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 22,380 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Once again, thank you for sharing your pleasures - a reliable source of comfort and encouragement as RL swirls, dips, swoops & occasionally goes Thud against things.

OS Pleasures recently
    Daft film with princess castle & Giants. (Some days, it's the little things.)

Every chap should have a hobby or three - it keeps him out of mischief & refreshes his conversation. Colleague is an aficionado of cranes - as there is much building going on around the office, he's well entertained but today as a bonus there's one in our carpark preparing for some TV filming. Frankly awed by the seize-the-opportunity timing - the snow's gone & rain not due tonight.

Did some work-I'm-paid for &, in explaining it, opened a number of doors for my colleague to send probing questions through. He thought he just had a techie & discovered a fellow partisan.

Gawking at the film industry approach to electrical engineering - 12 sockets off one big box. That would make my IT training work So Much Easier. Though I might hybridise it with Ampersand's old trolley...

Ah the joy of the endorphin rush! Apparently with a bonus free meal but I'm not sure that works quite as I imagine. (Free as in no insulin required seemingly.)

Delighted that the mystery woman poisoned alongside the Russian is finally identified as his daughter, Yulia. Hope both recover as this sort of death is massively uncivilised. [Third, associated, now reported as stable & conscious which speaks volumes about how the other two are probably neither.]

Mallards this morning sounding like toddlers who snuck into the brass storage.- lots of tootled & honks!

Aw - depending on what time you go there is definitely a Nappy Hour at Costco. The numbers of car seats & bricks of nappies - I could come all over nostalgic but I like my tall young thugs.

Got the shopping, but I notice bread & milk still erratic at local Asda. (Should have reloaded at Costco!)

Auditing a local charity's books, using son's tablet. Keeps my hand in & chairwoman just so pleased at my support of her decision to buy small things for resale - she has a very shrewd eye.

A good night scouting - a bunch of changes, but also a flock of extra leaders so it is all more scoutly.

Right, must crash as RL carries on whether I want it or not. Health strength love courage & hwbs as needed!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 7,499 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thursday’s os pleasures:-

1. Another good night’s sleep.

2. Our last fried breakfast - just as tasty as the last two

3. Back to our room & did the last bit of packing, checked out but were allowed to sit in the nice warm lobby until time to leave for airport

4. Pleasant trip to airport, quite quick through security even though shoes & belts had to be removed & DH set off the alarm - the metal curly wurly in his leg sometimes sets off the detector & sometimes not

5. Took off on time, complimentary snacks & soft drinks, landed 10 minutes early into sunshine

6. Cab home & pleasant surprise - even though our bins had not been left on the roadside - the council had emptied both the rubbish wheelie bin & the recycling wheelie bin

7. Takeaway for dinner with enough for tomorrow

Sleep tight everyone

MrsSD
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 8th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 36,153 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Don;t the think i;ve Ever been to Chichester (nor incidentally Liverpool)
    Think I too must have fallen asleep yesterday before posting mhags
    For yesterday
    1) good meeting on city campus
    2) bus up to ninewells. Top front of double decker - result
    3) visitors for lunch. Sandwich lunch with left overs. Filled my Tupperware, put in fridge, 2 free lunches, very mse
    4) mrpiano picked me up from work
    5) then cooked chicken curry. How spoilt am I. And for today
    1) reading your pleasures.
    2) turned down lift from mrpiano - lovely sunny morning.cold, but I was well-wrapped
    3) lunch as discussed above
    4) light when I left work at 6:15 yay
    5) and now in bed with Shakespeare and Hathaway. Much preferring to Marcella which I think I will give up on
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 9th Mar 18, 6:19 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

That darn cat insists she is hungry and will not let me sleep! Has 2 nibbles of food and walks away! I have put Sloppy Joes in the Slow cooker and filled the dishwasher.......

Yesterday

1. Got lots of things ticked off the work list yesterday.

2. More cheap wine in Mr A. Wine rack full.

3. Lovely photo of DD on Facebook.

4. Craft club. Lovely people, very gentle evening.

5. DH had bought fish and chips. So, watched half of Bake off. and went to bed.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Mar 18, 7:00 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 15,099 Thanks
    villagelife
    Another one who has never been to Chichester as I'm not counting driving round the bypass!! Next time we visit our friends who live fairly close we must detour into the town for a couple of hours before we visit.

1. Arranged to meet friends in June! The next date we can both do. He is on call and works some weekends but 3 months.

2. Watching and listening to the birds and refilling the bird feeder a couple of times.

3. Washing dried on the line and all ironed. I even washed some of the sofa covers which were back on in the evening.

4. Spent time in the garden and sat and had a coffee in the sun.

5. Watched some more of Designated Survivor.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 25,726 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

Hay fever has started already, not exactly a pleasure but it means things are happening!

Popped out to emporium with Capt S, had to chuckle at fellow parker who preceded us in and was still driving around empty car park looking for space when we walked in shop, wonder what she was looking for?

Another day, another grooming session, princess pony shedding like mad and so itchy, it’s got to the stage now that she points to the spot and I get going with the brush, she will be clipped next year!

Sibling meal out with DB, my seafood risotto had so much chilli couldn’t taste any fish etc but couldn’t beat the company, good to catch up just the two of us.

Belated birthday present from DB, 3 more books, inc Howard’s End is on the Landing and Timeless Simplicity, the to be read pile of books beside my bed is reassuringly high.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 30,364 Thanks
    All gone pip squeak …
    5 Has we had one of those weaks at the mill! You no need to know, but I see things outside as well getting a bit ratty today! I will do the usual BoP and be the fly on the wall watching the spider lay her web of intrigue! More later!

4 With that, needed some proper fibrous filling on the way to the mill this day, so had haricot beans in tom sauce on hot buttered toast this moaning! That means that theres has beans left for tomorrow, and as BoP needs eggs, then come along on Sinday, wes is having dippy eggs with marmite soldiers! Action packed and you know it. Tum rubbing later!

3 Foods for thought, BoP has inn his lunch box today! Packed by BoP and full of goodness and proper foods. No chocolate today as the bar has been wolfed down this week, but I has had me fibre this morning!

2 Nite is film night and Paddington is lined up! Popcorn is being bought!

Pop goes the weasels!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,753Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin