Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,205Posts
    • 36,153Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 116
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 5th Mar 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 34,344 Thanks
    mhagster
    It is still just daylight at 6.35pm and was light at 6,30am hurrah!

Lovely chat with DD1 first thing. It was her first day back at uni.

Drove for first time in a week. Went to T as needed dog food and a few bits and pieces. Bought Easter eggs on offer and they are now in the garage.

Made tablet ( Scottish sweet) on request for a friend. It was perfect! Delivered it in the afternoon ...was just popping in but popped back out 2 hours later.

Big dog walk with son and hairy son. Still snow on the country lanes but no icy wind which was much more pleasant.

Had not done washing over weekend so much to be caught up on today. Two loads on clothes airers and one outside which was almost dry.

My Australian magazine I have on subscription delivered from DD1 with a few bits and pieces added in the pages.

Made gammon joint, roast parsnips, carrots, butternut squash , sprouts and peas for tea and the tiniest amount of cheese sauce just for me. Delicious.

Lovely card from one of my oldest friends. Has obviously been stuck in the post somewhere but lovely words for it being a year since OH's died.

Popped down to friend/ neighbours to return borrowed prosecco glasses. Quick chat at doorstep.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 5th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 36,153 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    how exciting to have a train held frith
    1) went to church yesterday, helped out at sunday school, then came home for an afternoon in the warm - some cleaning, some knitting and catching up on Endeavour
    2) sobbed my way through call the midwife. my brother died from meningitis many years ago soon after birth. often wonder what it would have been like had he survived. then cheered myself up with cabin pressure
    3) back to work today which meant lots of catching up so didn't get what i meant to do but got lots that had been delayed with various people off
    4) the snow has been rained on so a lot has gone. i will walk the dogs after this
    5) shared lunch at work - i made a bbc slow cooker recipe - split yellow pea dahl. it was scrummy. i made loads so enough for tomorrow and some to go in the freezer
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 11,707 Posts
    • 162,694 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) We've had an offer on the house, we won't take it as it's too low and too soon but how lovely to think someone likes it well enough to want it.

2) Had a second person view this afternoon, he's a gardener and has an allotment over the road near ours. He liked the house too and hopefully will bring his wife for a second viewing soon. I'd like to leave my garden in capable hands.

3) Hit a rich seam in the charity shops this morning, some books for Jamses' lads, some Brittains animals for Zebra and little O and a beautiful table lamp with a handmade paper shade that has leaves in the paper, so pretty for me!

4) Nice cup of tea at a different garden centre while the afternoon viewing took place.

5) Coming home this afternoon to the lights on and the wood stove lit (we set it off before we left) on a damp and rapidly chilling afternoon was just lovely.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 5th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 42,492 Thanks
    Frith
    I have read a lot of comments online today about Call the Midwife, DD. (I've never watched it). I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Both of my grandmas lost a baby sibling to meningitis and my dad is named after one. In fact, my former mother in law also lost her sister as a young child.

Exciting move news, LW.

Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Glad to get up after a rare terrible sleep.

2) Took smaller son to school to put him in a good mood which will hopefully last the week!

3) Went to the library to print out the physio exercises for my shoulder. It has played up a lot today and I haven't even tried them yet!

4) Got plenty of stuff done - cleaned the landing (woodwork etc) and dusted the bookshelves. Hoovered, tidied, cleaned the porch out, swept the garden (between snow drifts!) and emptied the water butt with a bucket to speed the snow on its way. Washed all the gloves and trainers that were left wet and muddy after the past few days.

5) Hens very perky! They left their big run for a walk round the allotment so I took the opportunity to clean their sleeping quarters out properly (as they had been fed in their for a few days). As soon as I got the fresh bedding, they jumped back in which made it quite difficult to throw the bedding to all the corners!

6) Did baked mushrooms for my lunch then made Jack Monroe's peanut butter icecream - not my favourite of her recipes but I'm sure I shall eat it.

7) Burritos for tea using LO from yesterday.

8) Just watched 24 Hours in Police Custody with bigger son.

9) Trying to get bigger son some work experience and I follow on FB the business of a former classmate of mine so I dropped him a line and he's going to get in touch with a few people. I hadn't seen him since 1991 so very kind of him!

10) Going to bed just now and will listen to Just a Minute.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Mar 18, 12:01 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone, it is as if it never snowed

Monday’s pleasures

1. Taxi on time to take us to local airport - would usually use DLR but decided to start our mini break early

2. Plane took off on time & there were complimentary snacks & soft drinks incl. coffee

3. Dublin had seen plenty of snow - still piled high at the sides of the roads. Nice chatty cabbie who drove us to our hotel showed us photos of the rather impressive snowman & snowwoman his wife made & regaled us with tales of chaos re the snow

4. The hotel is magnificent + our room was upgraded

5. Actually unpacked, sorted rucksack for tomorrow - by 6 p.m. and left the hotel to find somewhere to eat & have wobbleades as per BoP

6. Proper pub - no music!! DH had Guinness & I had a Cork Pale Ale. Shared a bowl of beef nachos, then DH belly pork with new potatoes & veg - I had the special - fish pie with a separate white sauce with broccoli. I know I shouldn’t complain, but there was so much fish packed so tightly it was like trying to eat a steak & they scrimped on the potato topping but only two bones DH thoroughly enjoyed his bellypork & I ate two thirds of my fish pie because I was starving ( a packet of crisps on the plane) - DH finished it off. We both agreed that we enjoy my fish pie more

7. Sauntered back to the hotel & decided to treat ourselves by having a night cap in the very posh hotel bar (with very ‘posh’ prices ) - ended up having two nightcaps & a good old chinwag. Back in our room by 9:15 & DH snoring away by 9:45 p.m.

8. Lying in bed reading your posts.

Nighty night.

MrsSD
    • house elf
    • By house elf 6th Mar 18, 6:23 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning!

Sunday....

1. EBayer collected lawnmower. He was very happy with his purchase, and felt confident he could fix it.

2. Drove the 4 wheel drive to Mr A and had no probs parking or getting out of the car park. Unlike some!

3. More bargain wine in Mr A.

4. Trip to look at an extension built by someone who may be able to project manage our extension. Very similar to what we want. Would really like to give him the job, as such a lovely family.

5. Invited to young friends for tea. Admired their newly decorated kitchen. Nice food, nice wine, nice conversation.

Got home to no water so filled the bath with snow

Monday....

1. Water back, but only very low pressure.

2. Late for work, but don!!!8217;t think anyone noticed.

3. Got lots of work done.

4. Bought 20 litres of water on the way home, as DS2 text to say no water again. DH had done the same, but water back on!

5. Home to Coq au vin in the slow cooker, glass of red wine, and Call the Midwife.......

6. Water pressure high enough to run the dish washer

BoP My rant would be about walking your children to school, to reduce traffic in the mornings.........surely I am not the only person dropping their child................. on the way to work?

Happy Tuesday
    Last edited by house elf; 06-03-2018 at 6:25 AM.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 6th Mar 18, 7:03 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 15,096 Thanks
    villagelife
    For Monday.
    1. Car started first time. First time I had used it in a week and wondered how well it would start after all the cold weather.

2. Had a meeting in the afternoon and so had to cross sites. Arrived as it was starting so are in the meeting. Lunch was provided but could hardly move with my back and not in the best of moods.
    It was agreed in the meeting that we would have them 6 weekly instead of monthly. Starting in July so constructive criticism has done something. Things are being changed so may have time for lunch in future.

3. Main meeting followed by a smaller meeting. Don't think this one will achieve anything. Minutes taken but manager and staff causing the problems don't think there is an issue! Some of us consistently do twice the work of others guess who feels there is no problem.

4. Home and on leave for the rest of the week. It's a good feeling. Nothing planned but painting, cleaning the house and gardening if the back allows or reading and doing jigsaws if back in pain.

5. Had taken a shepherd's pie from the freezer so an easy tea.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 25,680 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Positive move news Lyn

Monday pleasures,

Sunshine and no snow, hung the spring wreath on my front door in celebration.

Opened the windows and let the fresh air blow in, house felt stale after being closed up against the cold.

Heard back from Uni of Cam, didn’t get an interview for research role disappointed but being philosophical about it as am sure something better waiting.

Over to see princess pony, rug off and gave her good groom, she is shedding like mad and very itchy. I have a very flexible horse as she was nearly bent in half at one point getting at an itch with her teeth, equine yoga

Quiet evening, Uni Challenge and then last episode of Collateral.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 30,352 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    All rights now
    5 Now I is looking at the flurry of activity for something on Thursday. Seems Ms Millwright is active! More later I guess, meanwhile in the boiler room I have again filled my own lunch box for today and it is the same as usual. Proper foods and good for you.

4 Did make me ponder though, in gaffers other shed, the team there have promised the world, but did not have the manpower! So I have charged them a fortune, in our back pockets not theirs, and loaned them at extreme extortionate rates, a stoker for a couple of months. They have placed a young graduate into the management of the team. If he was a male, he would be called a puppy! She is female, is it right to call her a kitten. Thoughts!
    The answer is the same, the graduate does not have experience to do this!
    Still, see above, we have charged an extortionate rate!

3 Ponder still! No, yesterday in Moanday and BoPsie has our wheels of steel all day so she can potter about and do the likes. So it took her well over 2 hours to pick BoP up, when it should take only thirty minutes. No she was not doing her lippy in the mirror either! All day the expressway was closed because some blade of grass had blown over and the rat runs were chocker! Blade of grass happned early in the morning pre dawn and chaos ensued through the day! As said yesterday about the missing bus on the express lane! People have to travel because they cannot move! Well looks like BoP is inn a rite good rant this weak!

By the ways, has you lot checked that you’re stitched site yet! Use rule of BoP and no greasy palms.
    Our supplier has this very day reimbursed wobbleade chits because of the meter of smart install and the inability of the person to check the fire! This will be liquidated later!

2 Nite as you are well versed by now, BoP will be trimming his beach ready looks in the gym. Viewing is obligatory!

Alas, your version of the Life of BoP continues apace, now back to my lunch box!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 75,671 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Exciting news re house move, Mrs LW

DD - same, re call the midwife and coming so soon after th'archers too. I am examining every little cut closely... My aunt had meningitis as a baby, she survived but is not fully developed mentally..

Pleasures since whenever

1. Getting study back - it's not quite finished but I am now back working in it and loving it.
    2. two concerts with DS - Stereophonics on Thursday and Elbow on Saturday. Both excellent and driving to and from concert venue was not too bad (Friday's concert was cancelled at the same venue, so we were lucky)
    3. Warmed up at last
    4. looking through DS's nursery book - "J played with the trains"; "J played with the trains with Johnny"; "J did a puzzle - it was the train one"; "J told us his news - AND HE DIDN'T MENTION TRAINS"
    5. Pictures with DD - "I, Tonya" - was interesting and differently shot
    6. Washing dried on the line
    7. My daffs have perked up now it is less cold
    8. Call the midwife - such an excellent programme

Have a good day all - it's the MiL's birthday today so taking her out for dinner.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 11,707 Posts
    • 162,694 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) It's warm enough outside today not to need a hat and gloves.

2) Lovely lunch out at my favourite vegan restaurant where I had crushed avocado on super bread with rocket and carrot 'smoked salmon' which was surprisingly similar in look, taste and texture to the real thing. A piece of raw Chocolate orange cake and a very good cup of single estate coffee and I'm a happy me!

3) Viewer of house yesterday loved the house and garden, is very interested and his house is already on the market. No offer as yet but we'll wait and see.

4) Found more Melissa and Doug bargains in the antiques emporium where they surprisingly have a new toy shop. Got Zebra a Frog Raincoat for £3 (it's got frog eyes on top of the hood and is the most wonderfully lurid green he'll adore it. Also found a magic painting pad with a water bulb pen that is dry off and use again, magic!

5) DD1 ordered me a new pair of Pro-Yak Trax and they arrived today while we were out to lunch, these have a strap to keep them on, sadly my last pair didn't and when I went to take them off my now dry walking boots, there they were .....not there!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 42,492 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Various jobs done this morning including bunk beds changed.

3) Hens extremely jolly.

4) Went to local National Trust place for my lunch.

5) Popped to Sainsburys for cat food and J20s so smaller son could test out his new bottle opener.

6) Saw my school friend for tea.

7) Back home briefly to get changed and my brother had been round to keep smaller son company and they'd had a jolly time playing Fifa.

8) Bigger son sent me a video of him scrolling down through all the online homework he has finished. He's completed the lot now, after being 17 hours worth behind.

9) I had a job interview at 6.45 at a local shop. I think it went OK (better than the horror I had with the National Trust) and part of it was a fairly difficult and timed maths test!

10) Watched Holby.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 6th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 36,153 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Good luck with the job frith
    1) after last night;s thawing rain sleet this morning - very glad mrpiano drove me in
    2) can a spreadsheet be an mse os pleasure? It is magnificent, it is accurate, I am so happy with it. Spent an hour with admin sorting the final queries but all is now in order and I feel relaxed
    3) left over hm split yellow pea Dahl and crackers for lunch
    4) mrpiano picked me up. Somehow he;d managed to pull his wing mirrors in and had no idea how to get them back out. Fortunately my friend happened to be leaving and was able to help out, having a similar car. Mrpiano is not technical but my goodness the Rachmaninov is coming on
    5) then mrpiano cooked a delicious pasta dish and we moved the old suite out onto the pavement where it will be picked up tomorrow. New one arriving Friday so tomorrow evening will be cleaning
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 7th Mar 18, 6:10 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning

DD they keep telling me of the joys of spread sheets, but I am yet to be convinced

Tuesday

1. I was dreading the 2 meetings booked in for the day. They both went really well, and we got the result we needed.

2. Nice lunch of baked potato and LO coronation chicken.

3. We have running water, and electrician came to fit an outside plug for DH car, so no more messing about, swapping cars to use the electric charger point.

4. Stopped at Mr T on the way home to get stuff for DT lesson. (Tights ). Found lots of Xmas sellotape reduced to 10p for 3 little rolls.....Got a few

5. Fire lit, bit of TV and sewing. Opened a box of chocs from Xmas, but not Cadbury and not keen. I am sure DS2 will manage to finish them off!

Taking a group out on a visit today. They are lovely, but lively . Wish me luck!
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 7th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 15,096 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Picked more daffodils from the garden which are looking lovely in a vase.

2. Spent some time in the sun in the garden. I had a bonfire and managed to burn most of the wood but still some more left to do.

3. Washing dried on the line and folded so the majority didn't need ironing.

4. Tidied the hall cupboard and it's looks better. Items out elsewhere in the house where they belong. Majority was out in DS2 bedroom!

5. Watched Holby and then celebrity bake off which was funny but also moving at the end.

MrsL hope an offer is placed soon on your house.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 75,671 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - 'nother day 'nother train & etc... This one is to London for a workshop - i am hoping to sneak out for an hour or two at lunchtime to do another interview.

Good luck with the job, Frith

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Good walking - to and from station this end. From and to station at t'other end. Included walking by the canal for a bit which was nice.
    2. Did a good interview - really useful stuff. Getting there slowly
    3. Had a minor medical procedure that wasn't as painful as I was afraid of
    4. Went to MiL's for the evening. it was her 86th birthday - cake was eaten and she liked her pressie of theatre tickets for her and me in a couple of weeks time
    5. Went out for a meal with the family - OH, MiL and I, two SiL's, BiL and niece and nephew. Basic pub food but was tasty. (though unfortunately for me, the tastiness came from added MSG so I was wide awake until 1 this morning. i had to be up at 6 and am very grumpy if i get fewer than 7 hours sleep)

Have a nice day all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 25,680 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Popped to feed store for couple bales of haylage as in danger of running out of girlie food before delivery on Saturday, pleasure was got £ off as finally completed loyalty card.

Lulu lesson, she was very good, one spook when birds went up other side of hedge but she stood her ground, she is a smart cookie.

My lovely DN gave me a facial and head massage, bliss.

Unexpected but smashing family meal at her house, I see my darling brother in both of his girls.

Roadworks meant long drive back and glad to be home.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 30,352 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The harvest is being gathered …
    5 Early this year, but when you have customers at the mill pond, you have to give them a thrill. This is all about BoP’s pension, so there.

4 Was well trimmed last night in the gym getting beach ready. Well loosed up.

3 Checked my unsmart meters again today, and we are not over budget again. That is because the yellow thing is out despite the frost this moaning! Still we has emergency estimated bill. Looks like the NHS pc is ruining the show. Avoid!

2 Nite again BoP will be showing his beach ready looks again in the gym. If you missed it last night, you will have another chance later in the week!

Coals are ready in the boiler room for the furnaces.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    MandM90
    Pleasures for today...

1. Working from home - managed to get veggie shepherdless pie, braised cabbage and bolognese prepped on my Pomodoro breaks
    2. Beginnings of spring - a sea of irises in the garden, sun flooding our little house
    3. In laws going to view a house and some land in Devon today - I'm excited for them! May or may not have been on Rightmove last night marvelling at how much house we could get there...in case we ever followed them down...
    4. CrossFit tonight! I've only been doing it 3 weeks but I can feel my body getting stronger and am enjoying doing something just for me.
    5. House is tidy and clean, enjoying our new external doors and only a few days until our bespoke wooden sash windows are installed. We paid a couple of months ago so the financial pain has faded and I'm just excited to see them in!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 11,707 Posts
    • 162,694 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Beautiful day today, just right for being outside and walking that hound, magic!

2) Found nice books for the Grandpickles in the local charity shop.

3) My brother came walking with Cooks and I and we just nattered, lovely.

4) Had boiled eggs and crispbreads for lunch, one of my favourite things to eat, delicious.

5) The first leaf buds are just beginning to show green on my hawthorn and blackthorn hedge, the blackthorn flowers are just beginning to uncurl their petals too, must be the beginnings of spring!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin