Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,183Posts
    • 35,994Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 105
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Feb 18, 11:36 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 35,994 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Right, doing this on my laptop rather than ipad so we will see if it makes any difference to the apostrophe: '
    I too had to change my password today & and mhags
    1) phd student, now graduated, got his 3rd paper from his phd accepted yay - my first of 2018
    2) won £25 on the premium bonds.
    3) had soft boiled eggs with soldiers for breakfast - haven't had that for years
    4) i had to do an extra bus ride - colleague had finished with her all day ticket so didn't cost me
    5) met friends after work - first time since christmas, where does the time go. was a lovely evening. we had fish and chips and mushie peas.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th Feb 18, 6:31 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 9,416 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Peeps,

Greetings from London.......a theatre weekend away with friends.

Recent Pleasures....

1. FaceTime with DD. She seems to be having a great adventure!

2. EBay success. Only small sales, but hope they add up to a little pot of cash and some decluttering.

3. Cosy evenings by the fire working on my quilt. (Trying not to feel guilty about all the school work I need to be doing.).

4. My Y9 group making scarecrows and my Y10 group making bird feeders........so creative!

5. DS1 and DS2 bonding over DS2 getting a girlfriend.

6. Stayed in DH works flat last night . Very posh. Brought a W8ies meal deal with us and then after dinner, sat in the hot tub on the roof terrace! A different world.......

Hoping for lots of pleasures today. Have a lovely day.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Feb 18, 6:55 AM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 18,701 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    What is going on with the forum at the moment. Had to change my password too and log in 3 times

1. Mum has been brought back to uk.
    No translation of documents provided so still waiting but a relief she is home

2. Df is a little stronger

3. Puppy walks in the Yorkshire air. She's loving all the smells and animals and had a chomp on some horse poo

4 visiting family although wish better circumstances they have been very supportive

5 sunny bright days crisp frosty mornings
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Feb 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 14,694 Thanks
    villagelife
    I also had to change my password.
    My back has been sore this week and haven't had time to post and keep on top of things.

1. Some lovely sunrises this week and clear starry skies at night.

2. Email written at work expressing my feelings about meetings we have. My views were asked for and have been given. Others have given similar views and it will be interesting if they are all ignored.

3. Had a chat with DS1.

4. Have read a couple of books which I've enjoyed.

5. Spent a couple of hours in the garden yesterday. It was cold but the sun was out and dressed up warmly it was ok. I put up a couple of birdboxes and a bag box that we had been given.

6. Met DS2 new girlfriend. She seemed nice but nervous about meeting us. They both seemed happy together which is good.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 11,526 Posts
    • 160,494 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I had to change the password too yesterday!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 10th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 8,417 Posts
    • 32,639 Thanks
    ampersand
    For the 'change password' afflicted:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791549

Such aeration over deux fois rien)))

mhags - don't expect any apology/explanation response from mse. It just doesn't happen.
    #
    Still don't understand all the !!!!r8217 in people's posts, most recently yours, pk.
    #
    1. Last night's tutoring: 1700h>2235h, for another £20. Yes &, it has to stop...
    & is shocked by abysmal teaching and material from teacher of French. No structure, no textbooks. A few printed ?s, full of errors, even differing errors for same word.
    How is x supposed to learn, when teacher mis-marks work, does not read or correct things? French test after 1/2-term, but nothing soundly/lovingly taught - until now:-) This is a happy, 3 child, education-centred family, also sporty. & will NOT let them down, nor let rubbish pass as norm or correct.

2. &'s black green tea is certainly arctic by now, so will re-zap, with fruit seedy buttery toasty bun. Quartered orange and plain yoghurt downed long since, shortly after the pleasure of hearing[again]
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00shdzt

3. My osp in reading of your 69yr-old student's perfect piece of writing, mcc. Of course.

4. Meriva did not blow water, temp needle<red zone last night, altho & missed Bank, for depositing takings. Today is another day, with a nearby Jumble to ferret pre-rugby. Small pleasures, os, important.

5. Reading.
    #
    Good weekends to all. Recovery wishes for your little fellow, pk
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 24,780 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Have fingers crossed that it's all good for your small pal today PK.

Friday pleasures,

Awake early so reached for HE Bates favourite and immersed myself in all things Larkin for an hour, his descriptions of summer made me yearn for warmer weather

Soaked oats are proving a hit for breakfast.

Driving over to see the lovely equine one, so many clumps of snowdrops amongst the otherwise bare hedgerows.

She is shedding fast, white hair everywhere!

Mastermind followed by a film, The Great Gatsby (new version) lavish and slightly bizarre it redeemed itself some towards the end but for Lainey the only JG will always be Mr Redford.

Extra, I remembered my password when also asked to change....
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 41,907 Thanks
    Frith
    Bigger son got to year 9 before I realised he didn!!!8217;t know the difference between j!!!8217;ai and je suis, Ampersand... he begged to be allowed to drop it but had to carry on until GCSE where he got an F. :-/

Just had to change my password after 3735 days!

More later.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 35,994 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Back on iPad tonight so Gonna try !!!8220;
    1) lovely lazy start to the day. Just me and the dogs. Mrpiano has gone to London to play for HRH Charles et al. In Mayfair. Swanky.
    2) walked down to garage to meet dd2 and pay for car. Flat tyre and replacing headlamp. Wasnt as bad as I thought it might be, and they gave me a lovely cup of coffee
    3) then mr l for weekly shop. Always so much cheaper than mr t. Lunch was rtc chicken stir fry. Nommy
    4) gbf came round and we walked the dogs
    5) then l;esirir d;amour live from met. Friend decided to go to India after he bought the ticket so gave it to me :-)

Postscript. Ok double apostrophe no better so have tried semi colon
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 10-02-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Feb 18, 1:00 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 41,907 Thanks
    Frith
    On laptop now so I will try an apostrophe ' ' '

Pleasures for today (Saturday)

1) A lie in.

2) Bacon sandwiches for breakfast.

3) Hens well and 1 egg.

4) Applied for a job locally.

5) Did various jobs round the house.

6) Bigger son went to his father's then on to various gatherings and parties. Smaller son decided not to go and hasn't been overnight since (I think) November.

7) Roast for tea with some particularly nice Lidl leeks.

8) Watched Casualty.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mhagster
    • By Mhagster 11th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Mhagster
    Good morning . It's Sunday. It's damp and chilly and more snow is forecast. First load of washing is on its final spin and I have a dog curled up beside me.

Pleasures for Saturday
    Pottered around sweeping ( constant job , it's as if the floors just magnetically pull hair off the dog as soon as I've swept up before & wasn't such a noticeable problem in Australia.

My doorless under sink cupboard was emptied and cleaned and refilled. Moved baby lavender plants from kitchen window sill to DD1 window sill as its a warmer room and hopefully they'll come on a bit more . I have grand plans for a lavender hedge from these tinies!

DD2 and I spent an 'interesting' afternoon in the on call doctor waiting room...and if you weren't unwell before you went in you would be by the time you left! Anyway, antibiotics for her...just waiting on date to get dratted tonsils out!

Have had a chat and a few messages from DD1

Binged watched The Crown and then headed up to bed .
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 24,780 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

A mini lie-in to 8am.

DOH went off to the footie with both DSS's (his Christmas present from them) so day to myself.

Took Tilly out across the fields, cold, cold, cold but she loved it especially the bit at the end where I wrapped her in the towel that was warming on the radiator, such a cutie. It was good to see that the hedges are starting to bud up.

Watched Monsignor Renard with John Thaw, very enjoyable and have set planner for other episodes.

Early night as feeling rough, snuggled down with book and HWB, wind was howling around the house but all cosy inside.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 14,694 Thanks
    villagelife
    Good day yesterday.
    1. Sorted out DH jumpers as he complains that he doesn't have any that fit. May be due to fact he takes them off the shelf decided it doesn't fit and then puts it back. I have rearranged and left all the jumpers for him to confirm that I can take to charity shop. He also has about 10 jumpers and 6 fleeces.

2. Met a friend for coffee and then walked round the attached garden. It was very muddy but the cornus stems were stunning.

3. Parcel sent from post office and nice chat.

4. Watched some rugby before going to London.

5. Saw Dreamgirls (a Christmas present) and I loved it.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 11th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 9,416 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Yesterday

1. Breakfast chez posh apartment, of fresh coffee and pastries. (From the Coop with my student discount ).

2. V&A for Winnie the Pooh, but sold out, so went to see the Cruising exhibition instead, which was stylish and interesting.

3. Zizzi at Covent Garden for dinner with vouchers.

4. Young Frankenstein at the Garrick. Ross Noble’s last night. Emotional.

5. Tea and coffee making facilities in our hotel room.

Will be wandering around Colombia Road and Brick Lane today......

Have a lovely day.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 7,574 Posts
    • 21,608 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    What ho midears! I'm on half term! All work tech devices are either switched off, locked away or deliberately buried. My menfolk think this is a good thing - I think I may excavate the blackberry after a few days if they try me too hard...

"& is not allowed further departures" - well, you can see their point! Daughter of Time a much-loved read (as two rather battered paperback copies Clearly Show, while the ebookreader looks relatively innocent) Oh the letters - what to do? Play cherche les Orards, or Caterine's family? Love the socks! Oh the irony of ironing teatowels, but hurrah that this is appreciated! May hand painted catwalk silk prices drift skywards. Also that any stones removed promptly - have seen loved courageous hewn from granite leader reduced to tears, twice, once by death of dog, once by stone - but brought stone to show - a tuppenny marble! May Meriva thirst be fixable. As for teacher-of-French, pah. Les pauvres infants.
    Mhagster - that a genuine duck egg blue Kidston leaps to your eye & hand is Meant & that it is a travel bag underlines that. It's an Au Revoir, surely? Meanwhile room put to orderly use, but ulp. You are heavy because it blinking cold. Do not shed too much unless have abundant layers to wear instead! Eep tonsils to come out? Saves years of anxiously monitoring sore throats decades later (voice of experience).
    BoP - as the yellow stuff is still wanly visible, at least Raffles' injured pride has not stopped play entirely. As I played fridge tetris, I emptied out snorkers galore - sufficient that I can insist Each Son Learns to cook them properly. (We are usually stricter shoppers but there has been a "send me a list" shop or three & the list-writer refuses to fold down enough or excavate what has been stuffed at the back...) May I suggest blind tasting other brands of dark chocolate as my louts could not tell vrai Bournville from good faux? A downshifting suggestion merely, to fatten pension & investments with bookmaker?
    Dundeedoll, forgive me, I read "now I'm in bed & about to call the midwife" & it struck me solidly on the funnybone. I do love "decisions made (some needing diplomacy, some needing research)" - gods yes! Handwritten cards are beginning to be special pleasures - yet my childhood shrugs how else? Gosh, you have some amazing friends!
    Frith - hot cross buns for breakfast sound a real treat! Dare not tempt fates with we told you it would work out but clearly a ray of light has dawned - may it continue! All the best in new home to sister!
    Mrs SD - I am awed that Death Cleaning can be a pleasure, but when that particular chalice comes my way may I greet it with similar grace. Chuckling at Hardly Worthitson - let the man have his treat & may sense return eventually. Chortling at "DBro has been packed off back to Germany" - if all the heavy lifting has been completed Well Done All Round!
    LaineyT - love the idea of sleeping pad shopping & of course with intended user! Similarly lured back to original Daughter of Time & chasing slander-spreader across lands & sea & time...
    VJsmum - so glad draingate drawing to a close, much intrigued on different perspective of first man & charmed by mascarpone tort recipe! "she has been in a cupboard waiting for him" - absolutely right to get them both together again. Awed at power breakfast!
    Mrs LW - all the very best house hunting - we hunted with all three infants in tow, which limited our searches a tad but meant when we found The Right Place it was unanimous. So glad we have no intention of repeating same! Ohmiword wolf hound pups <melts>.
    Purple kitten - I do love the idea of internet window shopping with Thompson & Morgan! It is always good to plant bulbs - they are little timebombs of Hope. Even old & unplanted ones may still have the ability to surprise & enchant. Very pleased to read the reward for positive feedback even in the toughest of circumstances is More Biscuits! Dead right to try to hang onto the good furniture. Hope little un mending. Special blessing for wedding ring remade, and rousing cheers for time with whirling dervishes - thank you for helping make their Scout event possible!
    mcculloch29 - delighted to see you happily baiting MSE software! Is it not remarkable how a TV series can bring disparate family together?!
    house elf - hurrah a night out in works flat & boggling gently at hot tub on roof terrace - richly deserved! Quilt every bit as needful as school work. Teacher burnout must be avoided! Winnie all sold out? Dash.
    Skint yet again - puppy a reliable source of distraction - I read somewhere dogs need to eat excrement for some longchain molecule - and google agrees that dogs can top up their enzymes, although apparently pineapple is considered the politer alternative (If that has the relevant enzyme... Your puppy may vary!).
    villagelife - may you & your colleagues opinions be listened to! We groused & the very top exec left(though none of our grouches were about her but another three levels further down & are now in shock & mourning.) Love the husband-jumper management!

OS pleasures recently
    In another life, I want to be Lady Felicia. Dear me, but the dear lady has so much Fun.... Although she does scream a lot. (Father Brown's pyjama cord is the same as my grandfather's! Aww. Er, I just happened to notice - usually I'm Denby spotting!)

It's not yet 10 am Monday & the amateur philosophy club reckon Monday has started to finish already. Mondays are inevitable (& unloved rather) but even before 10, we have the upper hand deciding it had started to be over. Well, it can't take back a half hour & make us do it again - so we rather need to be sure we don't Need another half hour, but that's the usual drill anyway.

Cherry buds are gradually fattening - there are some in bloom already at the Keele collection but not the exuberant reckless crazy generous bubbles I love, not yet...

Saw my tailor but he was plying a tape measure - I know he did Hogwarts uniform shirts but it seems he's fitted Peaky Blinders, too! (Says she in blithe ignorance of what a PB might be. Gory? Ulp)

Practice nurse has done my annual MOT, chuckling at who else would use Every machine in the waiting room so has a (pleasingly clear) sample & an official height weight & blood pressure (measured minutes before) on being admitted?! News I have upped my exercise from "do I have to?" to full gym membership (and use) delighted him further - but we are agreed even plans for running can wait til I have the podiatrist on side.

Ah fraternal affection: "you're singing sh!te, shut up!" [Brother carries on, humming the tune - obediently "not singing" but happily stirring the pot just the same.]

Shinning into gym kit & double checking I'm wearing the fitness tracker this time... Bring on the endorphins! [Ah, bliss.]

I do wonder what was on the mind of the founder of 'progeny access control'. They're a big security firm but my hindbrain is puzzling "child proofing the house But They Still Get In"....

Ah. Meeting building has power cut, crazy scramble to find accessible alternative. (Some chance!) Old retreat (ground floor kitchen) being used as new starter staging so less space. Ended with sub-committee at 'spoons. Couldn't see them set off into the snow without a hot meal inside them & it was a steak tuesday.

Last time we used an app to hail a cab for my wheelchair using colleague. Which took over an hour, technology being the joy it isn't. Today I used no-inhibitions strong-minded waving of a beanie & lo, we had a cab in under a minute...

Spotted the Costa challenge to Greggs (brekker bite & brew £2, If a Costa shop If before 11am If before 28 Feb, & hopped down to collect up unwanted copies if Metro advertising same - then distributed around colleagues & emailed potted gist to Godmother of the 8th floor. Mostly as she'll make sure anyone who she thinks needs to know is told. [Then discovered Not a challenge to Greggs merely a cheap brekker buy to get the punters in - pah & news relayed!]

Ah, homemade stew. I don't think there are any fresh veg left in the house, but a hot bowlful with a spelt crust is fiercely welcome after a cold day!

Just dawned on me the trappings of prejudice - a takeaway coffee cup in one hand, the mobile in the other. How do you stretch out a hand to help thus burdened?

Tonight, we scouts make pancakes (as It's half term next week) & so there will be the fire drill as the smoke detector panics. All part of the fun! [All according to plan just evac into rain, which caused some grumbles!]

Apparently, I "stand beautifully" - says the podiatrist & she ought to know. Pity I bauchle shamefully moving but I have absolute faith in her remedial shoeing... (As far as my colleagues were concerned, I was seeing a farrier that morning.)

That new Jack book? The crowdfunded one? Amazon say merely "not yet available" - have they sources lined up?!

Teenage ethics - would you rather see a poster of Tyrion (& that "mind needs books" quote) or a scantily clad female on their bedroom wall?

Son went swimming & refuelled at McD's - "you know about the give feedback get a Big Mac & fries for £2 ?" "yeah, but I just don't care". Hopes of raising an MS teen slumped....

Huddersfield market & charity shops - I clinked home gently laden with lovely Denby pots (& a couple if mixing bowls), with several wonderful conversations as a bonus, not least the longhair gent with whom I discussed conditioning technique & the right elastic. He was intrigued to find someone who'll talk hair nurture regardless of gender & who shares the "if it works, buy a dozen bottles!" philosophy, ahem.

French stick pizza - quick, tasty & a good chewy base. Says she replete & recumbent & surrounded by similarly happily full menfolk.

Husband dropped orange juice - TV remote now kaput & TV usage has dropped like a rock. Bonus!

"Your password is 3025 days old, and has therefore expired." My memory is finite! All these years & never yet prompted? And I had to re-log-in, repeatedly. Just as well it let me back to the old green interface, easier on my eyes. Seems a rather violent "fix" for the Apostrophe Issue, but...

Right, All health, strength, love, courage, hwbs, & abundant appropriate weather gear for all as care or have need. For all those forced into the world, please be aware of extra children underfoot at all times & where possible hand them back undamaged. Onwards!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 29,972 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Ended up with cornflakes
    5 Well we could has had beans on toast this very morning, but as we are skint and pension is bouncing, we had none in and yesterday has to do with snorkers and grilled tom instead! Please think of BoPsie as she had no beans on toast this morning!

4 Just doing tea, of Stew and dumplings, with extra large toe nail onions, pan gravy, leeks and cauliflower! Proper food, but not enough to go round!

3 Watching The Honest Men ...

PM2DD Not a good weakend

You have to dig deep to get better!
    PM2DD Slade has left! No we don't need another Luton man either!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 11-02-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 5,098 Posts
    • 75,051 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Afternoon all from the train to ICT - brother is going tomorrow for a few days so I have the excuse of 'having' to meet him there to show him how everything works (though I could have just sent keys and instructions..)

Been struggling a little over the last few days truth to tell, but We Shall Overcome

Great post as ever DforV

Pleasures since ?? Thursday??

1. Yoga on Friday, I am not as keen on this class compared to the Thursday one but the pleasure is having lots of choice. i did a 'Kundalini' class today - much more 'internal' - chanting and focused breathing. i can see it being a regular thing - they are planning one a month at my yoga centre so i should be able to go to them. the people who ran it are doing a one day retreat in March, so I have asked Sister in Law if she fancies
    2. My boy came home on Friday for the weekend. He is changing... probably for the better, he let me hug him today when i left unheard of. we went for curry on Friday and had a family meal at home last night. Lovely
    3. Got some work done (supposed to be doing some now LOL). Just keep going, keep going......
    4. Despite bizarre weather there is a little warmth in the sun
    5. Carpet ordered for lounge and study - still have to wait a week though... Completion edges closer.

have a good evening all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 11,526 Posts
    • 160,494 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) It just snowed!!!

2) Coffee out at the garden centre followed by a short country drive in the sunshine.

3) Lovely Cookie walk along the footpaths in the sun after lunch.

4) Scotland v France 6 nations this afternoon, really good game, so evenly matched, thoroughly enjoyable TV.

5) Heard from both daughters today, the best!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 11th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    DfV. -That new Jack book? The crowdfunded one? Amazon say merely "not yet available" - have they sources lined up?!
    It is being published by mainstream publishers Bluebird, an offshoot of Pan Macmillan, the publication date was set at August 23, when I looked. As I have mine, I just hope all other crowdfunders will as well, by then.
    I will say it is as good as the first, and between the two in ethos.

1. I cooked Saag Aloo from Jack's first book last night, it's the second time I've made this, incredibly simple and very tasty. I used a tin of spinach, which means I have enough spinach for at least two more meals. The Saag Aloo was yesterday's tea and today's lunch.

2. Like DD, I've had a Premium Bond win. I opened the letter and had a lovely few moments of anticipation before I looked at the amount. It was £25, and that's fine. I earmarked £10 for Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, which is something that I'd always meant to buy, but never got around to.
    For those who don't know Nanny, she is a Terry Pratchett Discworld character. Miriam Margoyles would be perfect casting for her. I am not alone in this belief.

3. Enjoying bits of the Winter Olympics. I would binge-watch this, disciplining myself, I need to work as well.

4. Sitting in my kitchen at 4.45 pm, enjoying a cup of 'free' coffee (Nespresso capsules sent to review, and they are lovely) and the evening sun, as my kitchen faces west. With the coffee, and being out of biscuitty type things and cake, I made the happy discovery that a Golden Syrup flavoured Weetabix makes a very good substitute biccy. Slightly crumbly to eat, but then, so is flapjack, and most people eat that quite happily.

5. Your pleasures, thank you.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Mhagster
    • By Mhagster 11th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Mhagster
    Good evening, just getting dark at 5.45pm. It's been snowing on and off today. Lying in the garden.

It's been a quiet day. My chatty child is in another country! DD2 poorly and has slept for most of the day and son comes out of his room at regular times to be eat!

Pottering around . Swept, hung up washing on clothes airers, shall probably need to iron this evening. Washed kitchen windows...no baby lavenders in the way as an excuse.

Read a whole book. From start to finish. Hardly literary challenging but enjoyable.

Had porridge for breakfast / lunch. Bleurgh! Although having made it for years for kids and OH I do make good porridge! If I had a piece of banana with every bite it was doable!
    Nice dinner of gammon steak from freezer stock and finishing up veg box stuff with broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, carrots and peas.

Sister called but not much to tell each other so it was a short call!

Sent a text to an architect! This is a small step for Mhags-kind. Coming out next week . It's been on my mental to do list for ages and I don't quite know what's held me back ...anyway first tentative steps to a bigger house made.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,282Posts Today

5,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin