Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,880Posts
    • 24,763Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £175/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £574/£940
Page 225
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 9,931 Thanks
    Farway
    Ha, thanks Hollyharvey, that gave me a chuckle!

Here was me thinking it was some fancy cooking phrase.....
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    CBA is cooking phrase or ingredient here on CFO

I told you I hated garlic, upset tum now & up at silly o clock, I can still taste the stuff . The rest of the nut loaf is headed for the bin

Due to garlic poisoning, no breakfast, and in recliner watching "stuff"
    Shame really, it is a nice sunny day out there but dare not risk being out "just in case"

I think if I fancy lunch it will be the other part baked baguette with cheese salad

Dinner is too far way to think about
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 10th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    BucksLady
    Pastures, my sister has the same problem. Additionally, she also assumes that people knows what she's thinking - if only we did . We are all 'wired up' differently and that's why each one of us is unique xx
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    A lovely CBA brekky of a bit of mature cheese, toast and some festive malt loaf that was reduced at A!di.
    Ready meal for lunch, probably something light for tea, as tummy is still recovering. and I don't want to push it.
    Farway, garlic is a strong intestinal 'disinfectant', it was used as a cure for intestinal parasites. So your reaction isn't surprising.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 10th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    MrAPJI
    Apparently there had been a number of reports concerning that chap and he's now being questioned. One of my neighbours said he actually kicked his car - no damage thankfully. Anyway, that's quite enough excitement for one day lol
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 9,931 Thanks
    Farway
    Just as I was typing this, I had a knock on the door. It was a guy with a yorkshire accent asking whether I would buy some dish cloths/cleaning products from him. When I explained that I didn't buy at the door, he became rather annoyed. He stated that he had recently been released from prison and needed people to buy his goods, after which he slammed my front door and marched off. (.
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    Seems like a clue there. As you say, enough excitement for one day

Lunch was the cheese salad baguette combo

I think dinner will be one of my emergency tins of soup. I say one of, it is the only one left So will have to get more next visit to Lild

Flavour is cream of chicken, and I'll have some stale WM bread dunked in I expect
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    wort
    Happy belated birthday Money

Had a quick roast beef sandwich on seeded gf bread at lunch, as my friend from work popped round .We haven't had catch up for a while, we work on different dept s , so only usually say hello etc.
    Then my sister called she still comes most days since hubby died. And I'm due to go to a new (to me) yoga class with another friend from work later. She's been going for while and I've wanted to go, as I used to enjoy it many years ago when I went last. It's the start of a series of 10 classes, it's not within walking distance for me so my friend will pick me up.
    I'm going to eat now then I'm not exercising on a full stomach. I've got left over pasta and lo potatoes with the same sauce from the last 2 meals I'd put into 1 pot together, so will pop in micro with cheese on top.
    I will hopefully be back in time for the quiz at 9.30pm.!
    Well done Mr AP on tidying the garage, it's on my list but will wait until the weather warms up!
    The macrame things are back in fashion!!!! They were in a recent home magazine! !
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 15,835 Posts
    • 43,843 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Personally - I just thought "Well he (ie the doorstep caller) was really selling himself well - NOT" making that comment about having just been in prison. I know I would personally instantly "turn off" if someone said that.

The exception to that being if they'd been in prison for what I would regard as a "genuine reason" (ie imprisoned because of **** laws of the country penalising them for protesting about something I'd be blinkin' protesting about too). Shades of Greenham Common or the suffragettes struggle and getting imprisoned (what!!!) for a Good Cause. I never have been imprisoned (whether for a Good Cause or because of being a criminal - hastens to add that I'm not a criminal eek!) and I would treat the two different circumstances VERY differently indeed.

Hence - I wonder what the heck the caller was playing at for saying he'd been in prison (because, in the vast majority of cases, it would be because of doing something criminal).

But I've been known to stand there and positively "read the Riot Act" about someone turning up on my doorstep outa the blue and just hoping to sell whatever-it-was. Yep...I've even had a right go at someone that was trying to sell whatever-it-was to a vulnerable neighbour before now and person concerned got sent off with right "flea in ear" for trying it on in front of me.

Oh well - and back on the food front - and things didnt quite go "according to plan" today. Nevair mind - and there's the leftovers from 2 days back sitting in the fridge from the "main meal" that day and so it will be roast vegetables and cooked-up mixed grains.

Damn - I knew there was something I'd forgotten. I've still not bought that jar of pickled cucumbers I've had a hankering for for the last few days. I was in Aldi today checking out their new "vegan/fashionable" products and duly buying some of them - but I forgot that. I do have some organic edamame spaghetti that I found there though

EDIT; Yep and I can confirm that indoor pot plants are indeed currently back in fashion and I think the macrame holder thingies are too. Well - I've got an aloe vera plant sitting there in my bathroom now and basically "busting out all over". Does that count?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-01-2018 at 4:50 PM.
    Living in a part of Britain where one has to "look over shoulder" before you speak...eek:
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 10th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello Money...

Just seen that it was your birthday, so, Happy Belated One! : )

I have just discovered that Mr T's does tiny cucumbers, which I think might be more economical than buying a half or whole 'normal' one... Mind you, it is 75p for 5 diddy ones.

Haven't got round the problem of buying a whole Q and it withering up before I can finish it yet.... Hmmmm... So, if I get the small ones, maybe they would keep better. Huh, I lead such an exciting life!

Hey, maybe you can get those, Money, and pickle them? Just a thought.
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 15,835 Posts
    • 43,843 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep...those weeny cucumbers having a home pickling session are "on the list to try" Irene. That list is getting longer by the minute...... I have done a quick pickle sorta thing with yer standard long cucumbers - and it wasnt bad...though not quite the same thing...

Well - I take it "that there ain't no point" unless I'm still "learning/experimenting".....

Agh...the "list to try" is still a mile long at the moment..
    Living in a part of Britain where one has to "look over shoulder" before you speak...eek:
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 10th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    BucksLady

On a more cheerful note, I had a really good laugh this afternoon. A friend of mine (60 and divorced) told me that on Saturday he was off ''speed dating'' I didn't realise that was popular amongst this age group. I think the guys are 55-65 and the ladies are between 50 and 60 lol. I would love to be a fly on the wall at this event
    Speed dating is a lot of fun and that's where I met my husband
    Mind you, we were a lot younger
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 24,763 Thanks
    caronc

Shame about the new recipe Caronc, I have also found some of her recipes need a bit more spices/herbs added for my taste.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Yes I think with this one taste/flavour was sacrificed in view of keeping the costs down. I debated trying to "jazz up" the LOs with additions but realised I would then have LOs of LOs. So much as I hate ditching food, I'm afraid into the food waste bin it has gone! (At least it has been recycled)
    Just as I was typing this, I had a knock on the door. It was a guy with a yorkshire accent asking whether I would buy some dish cloths/cleaning products from him. When I explained that I didn't buy at the door, he became rather annoyed. He stated that he had recently been released from prison and needed people to buy his goods, after which he slammed my front door and marched off. I've just called Mary, telling her 'not' to open her door this guy. Most odd and I'm now going to report the incident .
    We had a spate of similiar a couple of months back, tied to an increase in burglaries in the area. The local police reckoned it was a gang operating and the chap door knocking was alerting his mates if there was no answer. They did identify where they had been staying but they had legged it so not caught.
    I'm still eating, a little, but it's not worth mentioning.

Tea was 2 small squares of chocolate.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Oh PN - hope you feel more like it tomorrow.

The coldy-thing I appeared to be coming down with yesterday seemed to have gone this morning only to reappear this afternoon complete with the chills. A snooze and a couple of paracetomel seemed to have knocked it back again so fingers crossed. It's not killed my appetite though so lunch was a largeish bowl of broth, toast and some fruit. I'm just heading to ccok dinner and going to make sure there are plenty of herbs and spices (and garlic - sorry Faraway) added. I'm just going to griddle the pork and have with spuds and stiry fried kale & onions so nice and easy (and hopefully tasty)

I see the a long thread has been "zapped" again. Probably time I thought about starting "CFO- Mark3" just in case. However, the 13th is the anniversary of me starting the first CFO thread so will hold off to then if folk don't mind and hope we don't suddenly disappear into the ether
    GC YTD 2018- £574/£940
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Toast with Marmite for breakfast with a big glass of water with lemon.

I'm having a smoothie later, frozen blueberries, banana and an apple. I have one yoghurt left so I will probably have that too.

The rest of the chickpea salad for lunch, maybe with a toasted bagel and avocado.

I was thinking of making a taco bowl for dinner.

I have beans, rice, taco seasoning, salsa and vegan cheese. I will probably throw some peppers and onions in too. I don't have any fresh coriander, though. I can never eat the whole packet whenever I buy it! It's too much, lol. I think I have one more avocado left so may throw that on there too.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Jan 18, 7:41 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Just checked, yes, I have 2 avocados left so will eat them both today.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 15,835 Posts
    • 43,843 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yikes - I hadnt realised re another thread has been accidentally zapped! I'd just idly wondered why the thread about zapping has posts on it again - but not read it.

I know there's been an outbreak of spamming again recently - so maybe MSE mechanisms (whatever they are) have been ramped up a notch. But several mornings recently I've switched on to spot a spammer has been posting on a lot of threads again.

So will look forward to the new thread. Me - I do things the second I've firmly decided to personally - but we'll keep our fingers crossed meanwhile for no inadvertent Zap if you decide to wait. 'Tis your thread arter' all.

Speed-dating - hmm! If I was still in "dating mode" I might lose that 2 stone I need to rather fast/buy some new clothes and head down there. But mid-60s and spent years unsuccessfully looking for The One and decided "he ain't nevair going to appear now". Whilst still searching for him I did do advert in dating column of papers thing and a dating agency (ie as well as going out with men I met anyway through groups I was involved in or work colleagues). Never got as far as computer dating - think that must have come along at about the time I'd given up hope/started wondering whether I even wanted to meet him by now anyway. I certainly searched quite hard for him for around 30 years - so gave it my best shot and came away wondering if He even exists. Oh well - at least I tried I guess and I guess I had set the bar rather high in some respects (as they say women tend to pick someone like their father - LOL that meant tall/good-looking/very intelligent/faithful......not a lot then LOL). My mother tells me I'd also have had to put up with "very possessive" (any other man tries looking at her for long does not go down well with my father.....).

I see no reason generally why not to give speed dating a try if one is "in the market" looking. Worst case analysis being one loses an evening and the cost of going to that event I guess...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-01-2018 at 7:53 AM.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Jan 18, 8:10 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 9,117 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All

I've started off my day with a boiled egg and an oatcake, I'm thinking tuna and cucumber sandwich for lunch and Nut Roast and assorted salad stuff for tea.

I finally remembered to get some bramley apples yesterday so will stew some to have along with porridge or yoghurt for my breakfast the rest of this week.

Yes I think with this one taste/flavour was sacrificed in view of keeping the costs down. I debated trying to "jazz up" the LOs with additions but realised I would then have LOs of LOs.
    Originally posted by caronc

That frequently happens in this household - the soup I had yesterday started off life as a SC Dal but it didn't quite hit the spot so I transferred it into a pot watered it down with stock and cooked a bit longer on top of the stove and ended up with a lovely stick to the ribs spicy soup
    Keep Moving = 282.50mls/1000mls @ week 15

GC - Apr - £55.82/£80.00, Mar - £59.87/£60.00
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 12,157 Posts
    • 76,291 Thanks
    kittie
    the organic veg box from the new local grower/supplier did not materialise so I have been onto my bank account to cancel the dd. One chance only, I will go back to reliable big company, in the meantime I will definitely be freezer diving. I have lots and lots of food stores as in foods that keep a long time, like sardines and beans. I am quite looking forward to the challenge, I need to reduce the stores anyway. I have decided to be more `picky` with my allotment fruit, have already cut out half the blackcurrant branches and will then let the fruits grow to the largest sweetest size possible. All my blueberries are home grown, 6 in large pots and 4 on the allotment. I have blackcurrant overload in my freezer

An easy breakfast, spelt flakes, soya milk, shelled hemp, dried raspberries and 2 slices of emmental. Lunch will be pizza, dough from freezer, tomato paste, mozarella from freezer, small tomatoes from freezer, sliced red onion, sliced garlic and sardines. Last meal will be ratouille from freezer with some pinto beans. Served good and hot

I cannot see me delving into my last bits of cake today. I will make a berry smoothie, I also have a small blackcurrant crumble and some soya cream to use. It all makes one hack of a list but at least will keep my fruit and veg intake up. I need to add the usual strip af 85% chocolate to that

I have two eggs to use up, I shall make an apple cake to freeze in slices. Much prefer my own to the likes of stollen and mince pies
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    wort
    I really enjoyed the yoga, I've paid for 5 classes, so will see how it goes. I could do with a wrist support though, as my right wrist,is definitely weak and I struggled at the end as a lot of the poses ,we're on the hands and feet.
    Just made it back for 9 PM to change for the quiz. It was quite foggy and frosty last night, but it's sunny this morning, though cold.
    Just had brunch? At 9.30 mexican chicken and cheese dry toastie. I will take a rice pot to eat when I arrive at work. I'm due to start at 11.
    I've lifted the cooked steak and pepper sauce out of freezer, and will do oven chips and cauliflower and carrot with it for tea.
    Love the jacket and cauli cheese idea may pinch that! !
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 11th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello CFO's

Ha, speed dating, with my energy levels, it would have to be slow dating, as in tortoise level. Not that I can whip up any enthusiasm for that sort of thing.

Did manage some excercise, which my muscles are aching from, but actually felt a bit more energy afterwards. Dog is bewildered though, any floor excercises she came up and stared down at me as if to say, what the heck are you doing, and are you having a fit or something? As I puffed and gasped my way through them.

Made the mistake yesterday of not feeding her breakfast after our walk, and had just started excercising, She kept leaping up on me doing upright excercise, and pawing my head, when doing the floor excercises!

Lunch yesterday ended up half tin of beans on (naked) toast, followed by yogurt.

Tea was rest of chilli chicken, on rice salad (brown rice, boiled with sweetcorn & peas, added tomatoe, bit of q, stick of celery, dash of reduced salad cream). Nice.

Today:

Naked porridge.
    Reduced (YS) steak, with lots of salad/veg, meringue basket with sliced (YS) plums and yogurt.
    Poss. Jacket spud with beans.

No stuffing or nice Xmas stuff actually left now.... I am wondering if all these beans will make me anti-social.
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 24,763 Thanks
    caronc

That frequently happens in this household - the soup I had yesterday started off life as a SC Dal but it didn't quite hit the spot so I transferred it into a pot watered it down with stock and cooked a bit longer on top of the stove and ended up with a lovely stick to the ribs spicy soup
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Yes I'm guilty of managing to create LOs from LOs frequently
    .... I am wondering if all these beans will make me anti-social.
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    One of the upsides of CFO is it doesn't matter

Good morning,
    Misty, damp and chilly this morning and pretty icy underfoot so I may be confined to barracks.
    Foodwise breakfast didn't happen, lunch will be a crusty roll with egg salad and tonight I'm having a tomato, courgette & halloumi bake with greek pitta as I've halloumi in the fridge needing used up.
    GC YTD 2018- £574/£940
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 12,157 Posts
    • 76,291 Thanks
    kittie
    A chap in my village relocated less than a year after his wife died after cancer. He was ready to move psychologically, daughters independent. He gave up on the house, lovely old semi with a large s facing garden and you could tell by the photos that he had lost heart. He needed a new start, badly, so he sold up, a new family got a bargain doer upper and he went. I am ready too, this house is perfect in many ways, the location is not but more than that, I need somewhere I have chosen for me, a new adventure

Pastures, I hope you are on the mend, we miss your postings

Mary Berry apple cake is in the oven, rather like an eves pudding with a cake base and a lb of apples in the middle. Easy to make and worth it tbh. Think I will take my neighbour two pieces. It is icy here too, the sun is out now but I saw a neighbour test the path gingerly, then she went back in. It is going to be an indoor day but I love the sun in here and that makes the potential for a modern insulated conservatory all the more important in my new home. . Plot direction is important, my house is s facing but I have 2 verandahs/overhangs, solar shading, I don`t think I would like pure south, I don`t like it too hot. SW is good but W/E will do nicely as long as I could build a conservatory to capture the warmth on a day like today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,200Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter