PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    salmon salad in the end.
    Salad :eek::eek:, it's "look out your thermals" weather here tonight!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    money would you mind sharing what cheeze sauce is?

kittie I'm interested in HM spelt bread. Do you think I would get along with sourdough bread until I get more adventurous? I'll be buying it via lidl though as I don't yet have a starter!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2017 at 9:18PM
    Cheeze sauce is the vegan equivalent of cheese sauce.

I'm very partial to cheese sauce with all sorts of stuff - and hence could do with an alternative or two to it.

There seem to be two basic variants of it:
    - one made with cashew nuts and possibly using a bit of miso for that sorta savoury umami taste to it
    - the other made basically with cooked potatoes and carrots.

Either way there will probably be nutritional yeast (aka nooch) in it. That is a sort of flakey type thing that adds a sort of bit of cheese type taste - not to mention I pick the type with added Vitamin B12 in (for the sake of those extra nutrients).

I shall probably try both of the basic variants and have in mind to try the second one first. I found a good example of that on the Vibrant Vegan webpage on YouTube. So - its 2 cups diced cooked potatoes, 1 cup diced cooked carrots, half cup of the water the vegs were cooked in, one-third cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, half cup nooch, 1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder and some salt. Put all ingredients in liquidizer and blitz together. That's that.

Think I'll probably like the first variant version (ie the cashew one - have discovered I'm definitely partial to cashews in all variations) and not sure what I'm going to think of the second one. But, for the sake of lower calories, I'm planning on trying the second basic variant on this first and see what I make of it.

So - yep...there is a whole new language to learn in this:
    - cheeze = means vegan cheese equivalent
    - nicecream = means vegan icecream made using bananas as a base
    - nooch is the nutritional yeast (used a lot for its cheesy type flavour and its Vitamin B12)

It's a learning curve...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fuddle do you have a panny? The first ever spelt bread that I made was a panny recipe and it turned out very nice. All you need that you probably don`t have is spelt flour and they sell that everywhere now. If you haven`t got a panny then google spelt bread and find a recipe that contains honey as it does best with honey. It is easy to make by hand but put the final dough into a tin or tins as it collapses easily

Sd is quite complicated to get going, I would try long fermentation first. It just means that it takes a couple of long rising sessions in the fridge. I rise once then knock down and rise again. I think this is the most simple recipe
    https://www.ceresfairfood.org.au/recipe/long-ferment-bread/
    You will need a pot of some sort, with a lid, which you can get to very hot and be careful

Tomorrow I am going as liquid as I can, after breakfast, I am hating my cold and need to give my body the least work, so it is the celeriac and bacon smooth soup and then another smooth hm soup later, I have carrots and miso until my order comes, so I will have to think of something, maybe carrot and tomato with miso mixed in before serving. I haven`t had a cold for years but every time I fly, I catch something. Horrible being yukky
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    I used to really struggle to eat Christmas dinner after I cooked it, took me a few years to work out it was because I'd been looking at it/smelling it for most of the day. Now I cook as much as I can beforehand and enjoy it much more.
    That's what I did last year... and try to do often ...

It feels a little "bad" cooking food to shove into plastic boxes in the fridge, to nuke later.... but it's the best way I know of actually cooking a bigger meal -and- enjoying it.

By the time you've shopped, chopped, waited ... you've gone off the idea of eating.
    My elder son used to be a chef and on days he was working he lived on simple food as he couldn't face anything rich.
    Quite a lot of chefs often say similar.

I know my mum never fancied much food after she'd cooked a meal.

On a plus the topside is cooked and in a bowl with a weight cooling. It was a very lean piece so I want to slice it quite thinly if I can as I plan to use most of it in sandwiches. While I love brisket thickly cut, I prefer topside thinly sliced or else I think it can be a bit dry and chewy. I cooked it for the minimum I thought I could get away with in the SC as I find it drys out if left too long and certainly the sliver I tested was tender enough so fingers crossed.;)
    Mine ended up being a bit of a faffy faff as I despise ANY small amount of fat.... so I have to check it and as it took so long to cook and it was getting dark in the kitchen I couldn't face de-fatting it before it cooled... once cooled it was a nuisance to pick the fat off today's portion ... and I've still all the rest to go through and check.

If I'd cooked it without much liquid it'd have been easier to face, but I did want to make the gravy stock for some bizarre reason/fad I'll not bother with again. I'm happy with Bisto granules ... so in future I'll stick with those :)
  • So the latest spammer is a sexist one - ie Wammery:cool::cool:. Ain't no "housewives" in my household - just one person:rotfl:
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well have finally finished off all items ,300 of em for a Christmas fair.

Result house is a tip 6lb weight gain due to not planning and eating properly. snacking a lot of biscuits cakes chocolate sarnies etc.

Time to get a grip now and sort it all out

Firstly need to food plan using up as much as possible as trying not to spend a lot in November.

Todays menu

B Porridge and raisins.
    L Mushroom omelette
    D Pasta bake
    Snack cheese crackers and apple.
    All from cupboards and freezer.

Todays to do list

Sort out larder an make a list of tins needed for winter stock up, looks like weather is going to be pretty rough so may not be able to go shopping. Also need to make sure I have enough of my favourite smartprice tins as these always seem to disappear running up to Christmas, suppose its to make room for more expensive stuff.

Pack up and put all craft stuff away. LOL might need more than one day for that.

Stay warm and cosy everyone or as best you can.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    edited 30 October 2017 at 9:35AM
    meg72 wrote: »
    Well have finally finished off all items ,300 of em for a Christmas fair.
    That's a lot of anything to make! What DID you make?
    meg72 wrote: »
    need to make sure I have enough of my favourite smartprice tins as these always seem to disappear running up to Christmas, suppose its to make room for more expensive stuff.
    Yes, it's always the peasants' smartprice stuff that silently disappears!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    Hi meg - nice to see you back. 300 items no wonder you've not had time to do much else :cool:
    PN- not much help now but I always take the meat out of the stock before letting it cool, makes both much easier to deal with.
    Frosty here this morning though it's drizzling now, it was really cold overnight. I got up in the early hours to use the loo and as is my habit just toodled there in my bare feet. The wooden floors were fine but my bathroom floor is tiled my poor toosties were frozen:eek:.

The chap is supposed to be coming to start my door today, I'm hoping the weather dries up or I can't see it happening. Consequently I was up and organised early (for me) and I've just had crumpets with cheese spread and a satsuma for breakfast. Lunch will LO chicken & butterbean stew which I might turn into soup if I cba. Dinner will be some of the beef, root veg mash, kale and gravy. I could make Yorkshires as I've some frozen but I'm not putting the oven on for a single pud and don't like them nuked. I'm actually debating just ditching what's left in the pack as tbh they've been in there [STRIKE]for ever[/STRIKE] a while and while I do like them sometimes I doubt I'd miss it.:)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 30 October 2017 at 9:59AM
    PN- not much help now but I always take the meat out of the stock before letting it cool, makes both much easier to deal with.
    I agree, but that's not what I did :)
    Hindsight's best - and I spotted a particular plastic click/lock box and thought "that's perfect" .... as I just wanted it to be "over and done with".
    I'm not putting the oven on for a single pud and don't like them nuked.
    There are other ways. If they're the tiny ones, then you just reheat for about 3 minutes in the oven .... so if you think about that, you realise they don't need much.

Solutions can involve: Just pop it, wrapped in foil, on a radiator if on (from now until dinner time, so for 1+ hours) ... or on a sunny windowsill. Or, oven-based toaster type depending, just blast it under the toaster element for 2-3 minutes. Or ... chuck it in a dry frying pan. Or ... let it sit and defrost, then blast it with a kitchen blow torch from a distance. If you've any form of "tea light" cooking things, such as a small fondue, or even a plate warmer, just defrost it and use that to warm it up for 5-10 minutes... or pop a tea light in a teacup and suspend it over that (watching it!) by some method ... e.g. forking it and then balancing it over .... WATCH IT THOUGH! :)

You have to think outside the box when you're CFO... think about what the cooking process is and what it's achieving. A ready cooked one needs to: become defrosted + warm up a bit.

I've done it loads of ways over the years.... I should write that up in my blog for others so they can benefit from my "weird thinking" about tiny food prep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure