PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    just caught up with everyone's meals, I was planning a veg curry tonight but had a busy day in work and then the gym so not long home!

it will be a 'thrown together out of the fridge' meal tonight lol salmon with the last of the duck eggs I had in my veg box last week, veg will be tomatoes, spinach, onions and pepper. Greek yoghurt and a green satsuma for pudding :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Glad wrote: »
    just caught up with everyone's meals, I was planning a veg curry tonight but had a busy day in work and then the gym so not long home!

it will be a 'thrown together out of the fridge' meal tonight lol salmon with the last of the duck eggs I had in my veg box last week, veg will be tomatoes, spinach, onions and pepper. Greek yoghurt and a green satsuma for pudding :D

Sometimes the thrown together meals are the tastiest :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 October 2017 at 10:04PM
    I've had an unexpected big win on the Food Lottery .... I popped into 4ldi, just to see if anything caught my eye ....

When I first bought my SC I had in mind a beef brisket .... only I've never actually got round to it. Last week when I was invited to tea it was .... a beef brisket and OMG that was sooooooo tasty I was making whimpering noises for the next two days as I wanted that again.

I checked in L1dl for them - but they only had 3 in the section ... and I needed to "ease myself into" spending such a HUGE amount on one small item (~£7).

Well .... there in 4ldi ....there it was..... exactly the same thing ....sitting there on the shelf .... and it had a fat 30% off sticker on it! OMG ... so I bought it £4.92. Dated 29 October, I plan to stick it in the SC first thing in the morning.... nommy nommy nom nom nom .... :)

I floated into £land with that lucky purchase under my belt - looking for Walkerrz Cheese/onion crisps, but they didn't have that flavour, but I was so elated at the beef I picked another flavour (Worcs Sauce).

Yorkshires AND brisket all in one week.... what a life changing moment :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I found a shop bought lasagne in the freezer that only needed to go in the microwave, so that was dinner. Supper is currently a large bar of mint chocolate.

At least I'm clearing some space in the freezer.
  • caronc
    I've had an unexpected big win on the Food Lottery .... I popped into 4ldi, just to see if anything caught my eye ....

When I first bought my SC I had in mind a beef brisket .... only I've never actually got round to it. Last week when I was invited to tea it was .... a beef brisket and OMG that was sooooooo tasty I was making whimpering noises for the next two days as I wanted that again.

I checked in L1dl for them - but they only had 3 in the section ... and I needed to "ease myself into" spending such a HUGE amount on one small item (~£7).

Well .... there in 4ldi ....there it was..... exactly the same thing ....sitting there on the shelf .... and it had a fat 30% off sticker on it! OMG ... so I bought it £4.92. Dated 27 October, I plan to stick it in the SC first thing in the morning.... nommy nommy nom nom nom .... :)

I floated into £land with that lucky purchase under my belt - looking for Walkerrz Cheese/onion crisps, but they didn't have that flavour, but I was so elated at the beef I picked another flavour (Worcs Sauce).

Slow cooked brisket how lovely- just what slow cookers are made for. Enjoy :D
  • caronc
    I found a shop bought lasagne in the freezer that only needed to go in the microwave, so that was dinner. Supper is currently a large bar of mint chocolate.

At least I'm clearing some space in the freezer.
    Every cloud and all that..... ;)Hope you are beginning to feel more like yourself <<hug>>
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Well .... there in 4ldi ....there it was..... exactly the same thing ....sitting there on the shelf .... and it had a fat 30% off sticker on it! OMG ... so I bought it £4.92. Dated 27 October, I plan to stick it in the SC first thing in the morning.... nommy nommy nom nom nom .... :)

That was a good bit of luck. I love beef brisket. I agree with you about it being a really tasty cut, and done in the slow cooker you just can't beat it for flavour.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't know what beef brisket was even if it jumped up and slapped me round the face, with or without a yellow sticker on :o

I know roast beef (never liked it unless it was not too well done, cold and in a sandwich), beef burgers and minced beef...but brisket to my knowledge I have never had.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 October 2017 at 10:12PM
    Nothing explains it better than a photo or two.
    It's squidgy and in a vacuum pack.

https://s1.postimg.org/8bw6dnvlfz/Brisket1.jpg 9ifhm9ki1c
    https://s1.postimg.org/1qecmn2wf3/Brisket2.jpg 5kn45lkucg

When it's cooked it's fall apart soft; you can't thin slice it, just fat slices or chunks.... or rip it apart ("pulled"). Moistness and taste overload.

I'll do it 6 hours, then rest it overnight in the fridge, then reheat Sunday.

I've never been keen on any sliced meats, they're always way too thin. I find thin sliced meat utterly tasteless/pointless. This is meat you will want to eat forever :)

I thought it was BBE 27 October, but I noticed, while taking the photos, it's 29th. I remember in the shop thinking it was 29th, but then sitting here on the sofa later I thought it was 27th.

Those marbles are on the loose again .....

They are £1/Kg cheaper in L1dl, for the record.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nothing explains it better than a photo or two.
    It's squidgy and in a vacuum pack.

https://s1.postimg.org/8bw6dnvlfz/Brisket1.jpg 9ifhm9ki1c
    https://s1.postimg.org/1qecmn2wf3/Brisket2.jpg 5kn45lkucg

When it's cooked it's fall apart soft; you can't thin slice it, just fat slices or chunks.... or rip it apart ("pulled"). Moistness and taste overload.

I'll do it 6 hours, then rest it overnight in the fridge, then reheat Sunday.

I've never been keen on any sliced meats, they're always way too thin. I find thin sliced meat utterly tasteless/pointless. This is meat you will want to eat forever :)

I thought it was BBE 27 October, but I noticed, while taking the photos, it's 29th. I remember in the shop thinking it was 29th, but then sitting here on the sofa later I thought it was 27th.

Those marbles are on the loose again .....

I will take your word for it PN because that all sounds beyond my remit but 'chunks'/'torn apart' would be my choice.

I agree on the sliced...it always seems such a waste of something that could be so tasty.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family