Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,867Posts
    • 24,734Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Two)
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Cooking for one (Mark Two) 17th Jul 17 at 6:31 PM
    In view of the issue of longer threads being auto-deleted I thought wise to start a shiny new thread as we had got to over 5.5K posts.
    The original "Cooking for one" thread can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585796

13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

GC - Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120, Jun 175/230
    GC YTD 2018- 574/940
Page 216
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,832 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I looked it up, there's a map of windy spots on the met office page.

I'm in a darkish blue bit.

Map: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/gallery/mohippo/images/learning/learn-about-the-weather/wind/wind_averes_81-10.gif
    Site: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/wind/windiest-place-in-uk

Looking at that, I'm guessing that wind isn't discussed much because .... look at London, it's quite calm/quiet there and London dominates everything. 10% of the population, 99% of the news coverage and vocal voices in newspapers, social media etc.

We'd all know about the wind if London got it!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That thought had never struck me - but you could be right in that.

Wind was something that rarely impacted on my consciousness until I moved here. Once in a blue moon bit of a gale and the occasional mild puffs of wind was about it. There are places that are particularly bad here that are notorious for incomers moving in/going through one winter there and then "moving back" after they'd discovered the worst The Wind can be like here.

I've come to the conclusion that it is one of those things one can't do anything about and it's just something one has to "live with" and try and learn to be a bit ingenious in figuring out how to have the "garden one had decided on - or as near as" in an area with it. Followed by telling myself that the plus side is its one of the reasons fewer people live here I expect (ie there's the benefit of less pollution from vehicles) and that The Wind will help disperse what pollution there is from vehicles. I had certainly got to the stage of the nagging suspicion all the vehicle pollution where I was was starting to harm my health (I'm in a family that has problems of that description if exposed to irritants) - and I don't have a vehicle myself ......

I've certainly realised, since coming here, that newspaper articles can be very deceptive when they refer to how things are in "the country as a whole" and the second I look to see how things are in this particular bit of the country I sometimes realise that's a misnomer and they are only talking about the England part of it and not the whole country. Recent articles about the awful state of the NHS are one example - and I've had to read separate articles to see if it's the same in Wales (yep...it is).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 05-01-2018 at 9:31 AM.
    How to make the worst decisions you'll ever make. Think "What would the ancestors do?" and (be you a person or a part of a country) you'll make a mistake every time.
    • wort
    • By wort 5th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    wort
    With regard to weather on the telly, I'm sure the north west,doesn't exist. They start in Ireland sweep up to Scotland, down the northeast to London, then finish in the southwest, I'm left trying to pause the tv and see what the weather is doing here!!!
    The bbc, when they show the big cities and temperature, don't show either Liverpool or manchester!!
    PN according to that map I'm not in a windy part of the country, but it fails to recognise, that I live in a high spot with a completely open aspect at the back, which can mean that even on a lovely summers day, my garden is blowing a hooley! I walk out of the estate and I'm in a different temperature zone
    I can watch the rain clouds coming in from the west at the back of my house!
    Just had cheese spread on toast for breakfast, and I've made a piri piri chicken salad on gf seeded bread, I think I'll take a portion of the yeo greengage and ginger yogurt,too.
    Tea will be curry ,chicken baptism with rice and poppadoms, aa dgson is coming.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have my blood test this morning and I'm not supposed to eat before, but there is always a big queue so I'm leaving it until about 12 to go down there. I was thinking of walking down there to see what the queue is like, but I can't be bothered. I will do the laundry before I leave.

I'm going to be really hungry when I get back so I will probably buy a baguette from the shop and have it with peanut butter when I get home. My husband will have some of the baguette too.

For dinner I'm going to have penne with a jar of tofu and tomato sauce to use up all my veggies before the shopping tomorrow. I have broccoli, carrots, onions and a pepper.

Looking at that, I'm guessing that wind isn't discussed much because .... look at London, it's quite calm/quiet there and London dominates everything. 10% of the population, 99% of the news coverage and vocal voices in newspapers, social media etc.

We'd all know about the wind if London got it!
    It was quite windy here yesterday.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 12,145 Posts
    • 76,232 Thanks
    kittie
    I had porridge and a couple of prunes for breakfast and know why I don`t have porridge often, it just does not fill me. Freezer diving alert: one fat rascal found and eaten for extra unhealthy breakfast. I`m going to adjust food accordingly and am having leek quiche with mixed steamed veg, no potatoes, for lunch. Berry compote with a small scoop of hm ice cream and just veg soup for last meal. That ice cream lasts a month at least, just hm vanilla custard and double cream. I cannot see me taking anything else out of the freezer today, except for a few peas

a wind map
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

I stayed up to midnight last night, was not at all tired and wanted to finish a knitted top, listening to penny vincenzi, the decision. The first one of hers for me and enjoying it no end. I can see me having a nap after lunch, feet up in the recliner with the sun on my legs. Bliss, no shops= less chance of catching flu bug and I have enough food for a long time
    • MrAPJI
    • By MrAPJI 5th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    MrAPJI

I'm beginning to get the feeling by now you've probably led a rather interesting life Apji
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Money, my job (classical musician) took me to places in the world that otherwise I would not have visited - I was exceedingly fortunate in that respect. So in that way, it probably has been very interesting with lots of stories to tell - but I won't hog this thread by telling them . It's a small world though and never in a month of Sundays did I think I would meet someone who I've actually worked with here - the one and only BucksLady ( she won't mind me mentioning that as she's already mentioned her line of work on another thread). We met in Germany about 10 years or so when she had just graduated from a conservatoire. We were the only British members in the orchestra and the only ones who didn't speak German - unless 'yes' and 'no' count lol. I remember she had 'a lot' of admirers lol who were only too willing to translate - I wasn't so lucky lol.

It's horrid out there - still raining cats and dogs. Breakfast was a large bowl of porridge, fruit juice and coffee - then I went for a swim. Lots of other people had the same idea - must be burning off those xmas calories.

I'm taking Mary (the elderly neighbour) out to lunch today - a treat for us both. Then we're returning to sort out my wife's belongings. It's a task I haven't been able to face to date, but one that must be done. Mary works in a charity shop (even at 82) and so will deal with matters there.

Hope everyone is well, and PN, eating 2 choc biscuits isn't good enough - you will fade away and we can't be having that
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 62,777 Posts
    • 367,833 Thanks
    PasturesNew

I've certainly realised, since coming here, that newspaper articles can be very deceptive when they refer to how things are in "the country as a whole"
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I've found that the naming of storms has really helped me understand which weather wind reports are important/relevant - and to make sense of the perpetual lines of arrows you quickly see rushing past when the weatherman's waving his arm about the chart.

With names they point to them and name them on the charts, so you can see, more easily, whether you need to batten down the hatches as it'll be windier soon (and when and for how long) .... rather than the usual windy state.

Now, if it hasn't got a name it's just regular windy; if it has a name then I need to be aware/careful and double check things won't fly about.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 62,777 Posts
    • 367,833 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... PN, eating 2 choc biscuits isn't good enough - you will fade away and we can't be having that
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    I'm all right - I'm saving up for a big pie and chips
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 24,734 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Enjoy your lunch Apji, it's good you ave someone helping you sort through your wife's things, as you say a hard task that has to be done.
    The rain has finally stopped , though everywhere is still sodden.
    My Dad just popped by for a cuppa and has left with some surplus biscuits/crackers, bacon and 1/2 a red cabbage so that's some "use ups" taken care of.
    I'm not sure about meals today, I froze the remaining broth yesterday so might defrost some of that or have something eggy for lunch. Breakfast hasn't happened yet so I'll hold off and have an early lunch.
    The Fitbit has confirmed what I knew regarding my sleep quality (or lack of it....). Just over six hours in total (spread over 9 hours) but the longest sleep period was just over an hour. No wonder I'm permanently tired
    GC YTD 2018- 574/940
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,832 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Apji - definitely sounds like you've got a "good thing going" there for both you and the elderly neighbour. Sometimes it takes someone else to help with a task one has been putting off and putting off (if for very understandable reasons).

You do realise we'll still expect a report back on food eaten for the day and what you thought of the place
    How to make the worst decisions you'll ever make. Think "What would the ancestors do?" and (be you a person or a part of a country) you'll make a mistake every time.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    That's goodness I didn't have to wait that long for the blood test. I think it's because you are not allowed to have a cup of tea or anything beforehand, just water. Makes me so hungry. I just demolished some bread with PB.

I forgot I had some tortilla wraps left so I might have to use them so I won't have pasta today.
    Books Read 24/60
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 5th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    BucksLady
    [QUOTE=MrAPJI;73665677

Then we're returning to sort out my wife's belongings. It's a task I haven't been able to face to date, but one that must be done. Mary works in a charity shop (even at 82) and so will deal with matters there.

[/QUOTE]

Such a difficult task Andrew. Thinking of you and sending my love xx
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 62,777 Posts
    • 367,833 Thanks
    PasturesNew

I forgot I had some tortilla wraps left so I might have to use them
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I occasionally think they're a good idea, but then they're just so ... "chewy" and hard to bite into, so I wish I'd bought pitta

I just had a small banana, bought pre-Xmas it's lurked.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 24,734 Thanks
    caronc
    It's pouring with rain again......
    GC YTD 2018- 574/940
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It's actually really bright and sunny here now.

I occasionally think they're a good idea, but then they're just so ... "chewy" and hard to bite into, so I wish I'd bought pitta

I just had a small banana, bought pre-Xmas it's lurked.
    I fancied pitta after someone on here mentioned the Greek restaurant the other day. Yum.
    Books Read 24/60
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 6,223 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon folks

Into Lild on way to volunteering, and remembered to get full fat milk. I had wanted UHT but seems full fat is not an option, so bog standard bought

Nil breakfast
    Lunch was getting into use it up, bacon, lettuce & tomato sarnie
    Dinner undecided, maybe roast veg, but having seen HH post, cheesey crumpets sounds very tempting

Weather and invisible places, despite being only 70 miles south of London my area is invisible on all radio forecasts, I class it as Central Southern England, but such a place does not exist, South West or South East. On TV I am spoiled, I just look for Portsmouth right at the bottom, and that is my area
    Could be worse, Channel or Scilly Isles are rarely if ever mentioned

Wednesday2000
    . Blood tests, another variation it seems, my clinic is by appointment, and the fasting is always schedules first thing AM. The only walk in and wait is in the big city

Used the milk and my second batch of HM yoghurt is now brewing in the heater jobby, using my newly discovered Meg jars
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 24,734 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon,
    The rain has ceased again and now the temperature is dropping so hopefully the next few days will be drier/calmer
    Lunch ended up being a "fridge pick" of various cheese, gherkins, jarred peppers and aubergines. Looked a bit of a mess but was very tasty.
    Tonight I think I'm going to bake some cod in peri peri marinade and have that with roasted tomato, green beans and a baked spud.
    GC YTD 2018- 574/940
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 5th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Evening all... : )

I feel positively piggish compared to other people's diets,,

Breakfast - porridge oats (forget which poster said its not filling, but it is for me with mixed frozen fruit and a banana), plus linseed sprinkle mix.

Lunch - battered cod, hm pot' wedges, n peas.
    (plus I ate the last of the cookies n cream ice-cream)

Tea - wholemeal and rye toast, had to use up the Brussels pate.

Feeling very stodged. I think the scales must be wrong, because they are showing me 2 lbs heavier....
    In 2 days? Sigh. No more ice-cream.

Wet and wild most of the day, seems to be calming down now though. Hope everyone was alright, and not lost any tiles off their roof.
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 62,777 Posts
    • 367,833 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had 3 fish fingers and chips
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 15,351 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning All,

All this talk of hot cross buns had me wishing I had some - instead I had to make do with some cinnamon and sultana porridge for breakfast, didn't quite satisfy but close enough.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    That sounds good to me . I have porridge a lot for breakfast, but have done it with apple and cinnamon, as I really like both I would like to try it. Do you grate the apple, or stir in chunks/slices?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm trying to make Farway's Soda Bread, but with no buttermilk I've done a mix of milk and vinegar but it isn't curdling!! What am I doin wrong?

I really dislike Hot Cross Buns..just saying
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

8,246Users online

Martin's Twitter