Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,879Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 91
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 7th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    NewShadow
    Good afternoon all.

I have been so incredibly lazy today - all I've done is let the cat out one or six times, made lunch and put the washing machine on... need to get a wiggle on

Late rising led to an early lunch of roast chicken with carrot/swede mash and mashed spuds. Leftovers will do the same for tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll be hungry for dinner, but if I am there's a slimming world curry that will cook from frozen.

Went to the market yesterday - ended up with about three kilo of tomatoes that need to be eaten reasonably sharpish (1) - other than soup any lower carb suggestions appreciated?

I've got courgettes, mushrooms, peppers and red onions - plus a freezer full of all sorts of meat/fish.

Thankies in advance
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 26% = 23,000/33,000 + 700pm * 16 months

Goal: Use all available means to make it 12 months...
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    NewShadow if you get a cat flap you wouldn't even need to let the cat out lol
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 7th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 13,103 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Hi all

2lb loss for me please Knitwitch.

I was fairly good over Easter as I am not that hooked by chocolate unless its that TOTM but we did have quite a few cakes and hot cross buns around.

I have been trying to do more especially as I am off work this week and next so no excuse not to try and be more active and also to make sure I make healthy meals.

Fingers crossed for another 2lb loss next week.
    GC 2018 Jan 246.87/250, Feb 316.43/250
    Lbs lost 6 Jan 18 - 30 Mar 18 - 2/14
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 7th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 7,166 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    We had roast pork this evening...but are spending tomorrow cycling.....I think D H said 100km.
    • monks
    • By monks 7th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    monks
    Please may I join this challenge if not too late. Have been following this thread for a little while and think the motivation will help.
    Weight has been slowly creeping up last couple of years( mid 40's) and need to get this under control with more regular /better eating habits and exercise.
    12 lbs to lose.
    Annual GC 3000 Jan- Mar. 690/750 nsd 35
    Apr. 110/250 nsd 5
    EF#176 - 1000/1000
    Weight loss 2.5/12 lbs
    • CathA
    • By CathA 7th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,513 Thanks
    CathA
    Hmm not sure how the weigh in will go tomorrow. Hubby has been away for 3 nights so I've been on the soup and toast/ sandwiches/ all fruit Thursday food plan all week, so yay. I've been so busy, daughter has just bought a flat that needs a lot of work, so I've been there, working, looking after grandson, moving furniture, all good in the hood.

Then came Friday-I went to Ikea with my daughter. You can't go to Ikea without sampling the meatballs (OMG why are they so nice?) plus a share of apple pie and cream. Got home, ate some Easter egg (they were mega reduced at work, so a few of them came home) but I only kept one! Hubby was back, making a gate for daughter's new place and didn't finish that til late so didn't feel like cooking so we got a takeaway. And desserts. Oh dear.

On the plus side I've been mega busy today so hopefully that will counteract Friday's excess. Tomorrow will tell.

Happy Saturday everyone. X
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 7th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 30,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Please may I join this challenge if not too late. Have been following this thread for a little while and think the motivation will help.
    Weight has been slowly creeping up last couple of years( mid 40's) and need to get this under control with more regular /better eating habits and exercise.
    12 lbs to lose.
    Originally posted by monks
    Hi monks - of course you can join in (the more the merrier ) is 12lbs your target for the challenge?
    V3ry - 389.60
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 7th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 30,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    CathA 0/4
    Coxy11 0/7
    CRANKY40 1/1
    Gresleyrover 0/7
    Knit Witch 6/4
    Lynnejk 0/8
    NewShadow 0/13
    Maisie M 2/14
    Monks .... 0/12
    Monnagran 2/10
    Sa1sysoo 0/6
    SIRENS 0/14
    Snorfing along 0/13
    SuzieC 0/14
    TiredTrophy 0/11
    Zafiro1984 0.5/14

0 st 11.5 lb
    V3ry - 389.60
    • monks
    • By monks 7th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    monks
    Yes 12lb for me thank you
    Annual GC 3000 Jan- Mar. 690/750 nsd 35
    Apr. 110/250 nsd 5
    EF#176 - 1000/1000
    Weight loss 2.5/12 lbs
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 8th Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Evening All

Well today is our monthly takeaway that we treat ourselves to (although we will be having another for dh birthday in a couple of weeks)

I have been desperately trying to stick to plan after the disaster that was Easter, so whilst the kids were at Karate I thought I'd go for a walk ( in the rain)The class is only an hour and a half and as I live in the city it's pretty flat, but I did find a big hill to huff and puff up. I managed to hit 8000 steps by the time I picked them up, so I feel a little better.
    B 2 slice seeded bread with marmite
    D lovely fish and chips, with mushy peas
    S 2 treat size Malteasers ( I've had them since last year and they've gone a little mushy!)
    Weight Loss Challenge 0/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 8th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 11,794 Thanks
    NewShadow
    NewShadow if you get a cat flap you wouldn't even need to let the cat out lol
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Maybe when I own the house - but I tend to get lost in a book so the cats makes me put it down, let them out, then I putter around doing some housework before putting the kettle on and picking up the book again. It works *shrugs*

Today was much like yesterday. Large roast chicken dinner for lunch and not much desire to eat anything else. I'm just now debating something to eat vs an early night.

First weigh tomorrow since reaffirming my desire to lose weight. It's been a bit of a mixed bag so fingers crossed...

Hope Monday morning is kind to all.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 26% = 23,000/33,000 + 700pm * 16 months

Goal: Use all available means to make it 12 months...
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 9th Apr 18, 2:54 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 19,213 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi everyone

Long time no see but I am hoping to join this next challenge as I have managed to put on all the weight I lost and then some so before it kills me I am going to try and get a bit healthier. Knit Witch, could I please be put down for 14lbs as a start, thank you .

I will weigh in on a Friday as this is the best day for me and I will be following a calorie controlled diet. I have tried all the different slimming groups and have a bookcase stuffed with recipe books and self help books. If throwing money at the problem worked I would be a size 10, however it obviously doesn't looking at the vast array of elasticated trousers and tent tops in my wardrobe. Ach, I will not be so hard on myself now as I am determined to do well this time.

It's lovely to see so many of the old faces on here as well as the new ones. This is a fantastically supportive group and I have always been made to feel very welcome even when I dip in and out.

I cannot sleep so I have planned out this weeks meals and I will stick to them. Today I will be having:

b - scrambled eggs, toast and mushrooms
    l - nothing as I have a very scary PIP meeting
    d - pork schnitzel, mashed potatoes and spring greens
    s - skimmed milk for teas, apple, banana

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices, take care xx

• gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 9th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    I've had a disastrous start to the new challenge and gained 2.4lbs. Not a surprise really as we were visiting DS1 and family at the weekend. We don't get to see them very often as they live 150miles from us. The weekend involved cooked breakfast, takeaway, a meal out and chocolate fudge cake.
    Now that I'm home its time to get back to the plan and try and do better this week. Today breakfast will be 2 weetabix and skimmed milk +fruit. Not sure about the rest of the day yet.
    We did enjoy the weekend though, especially seeing the DGCs
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 9th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 7,166 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    It was 67km with 850m of climb. I survived.

I went for a short slow run this morning...and have been up and down the stairs a great deal in my attempts to get on top of the mess.

Tonight's dinner will be chicken and veg stew....just coffee, tea, water til then.

Have a good day everyone.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 10,129 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Loss of 1.5lb for me please Knitwitch

Welcome back dumpling good to hear from you again.

L:- sort of a pizza but I used half of a 'sandwich thin' as a base, it worked ok, unfortunately followed by a HM brownie which I made this morning.
    D;- Something from the freezer. I still have quite a stash of frozen meals which I made last year, I'm slowly working my way through them but I probably have a couple of months worth still left. I need the space because I'm trying to grow a lot of veg this year - once the rain has stopped!!!!
    Jan grocery 50 per week
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 30,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    CathA 0/4
    Coxy11 0/7
    CRANKY40 1/1
    Dumpling 0/14
    Gresleyrover +2.4/7
    Knit Witch 6/4
    Lynnejk 0/8
    NewShadow 0/13
    Maisie M 2/14
    Monks .... 0/12
    Monnagran 2/10
    Sa1sysoo 0/6
    SIRENS 0/14
    Snorfing along 0/13
    SuzieC 0/14
    TiredTrophy 0/11
    Zafiro1984 2/14

0 st 10.6 lb
    V3ry - 389.60
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 53,962 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Please may I join your gang? I'd like to go for losing 12lbs. When is the end of this particular challenge? (Just so I know whether I'm being realistic or not!)

Thankyou
    apple
    NST April #17; NSD 14/15 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 16/30 (48); remove 385
    2018 Pay off: 1188; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage 21,904 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 30,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Please may I join your gang? I'd like to go for losing 12lbs. When is the end of this particular challenge? (Just so I know whether I'm being realistic or not!)

Thankyou
    apple
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Last weekend in June
    V3ry - 389.60
    • CathA
    • By CathA 9th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,513 Thanks
    CathA
    Not as bad as I thought- ended up as STS, so I'll take that

Busy weekend, more running about, today was moving more furniture and house cleaning, more of the same later on in the week. Oh I do love a house move!

Happy Monday everyone x
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 30,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Apple muncher 0/12
    CathA 0/4
    Coxy11 0/7
    CRANKY40 1/1
    Dumpling 0/14
    Gresleyrover +2.4/7
    Knit Witch 6/4
    Lynnejk 0/8
    NewShadow 0/13
    Maisie M 2/14
    Monks .... 0/12
    Monnagran 2/10
    Sa1sysoo 0/6
    SIRENS 0/14
    Snorfing along 0/13
    SuzieC 0/14
    TiredTrophy 0/11
    Zafiro1984 2/14

0 st 10.6 lb
    V3ry - 389.60
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,077Posts Today

8,361Users online

Martin's Twitter