Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,881Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 87
    • CathA
    • By CathA 10th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,575 Thanks
    CathA
    I'm calling a STS this week, as one day this week I'm sure I weighed the same as before!

We had a free roast beef dinner at work this week; trouble is it was on 'all fruit Thursday!'. Compromise-I had one plated up for me, took it home and shared it with hubby. He had 2/3 of it, and I ate most of the veg, so not too bad (it was gurt lush!).

I am fully aware of why I'm not losing anything, as it's so cold and dreary and my evening snacks are calling me. (Calling me weak-willed, I expect). I think to myself that I'm not going to eat chocolate/cake/cheese/biscuits and virtuously eat an orange, then 10 minutes later go and eat chocolate!

I'm still hovering between a pound or so either side of the stone mark, just can't get it down unfortunately. I've still managed to keep the nearly a stone off that I lost but I would like my clothes to be a bit looser. Oh well, onwards and upwards, as they say.

Happy Saturday everyone x
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 10th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Carmen 3.74/6.6
    CathA +1.5/2
    Coxy11 4/6
    CRANKY40 10/0.5
    Dandy-candy +0.5/4
    Dolly84 +3/14
    Dumpling 6/20
    Florence J 12.5/14
    Frith 12/21
    FurryBeastOz 6/18
    Gresleyrover 4/7
    Jules81 0/12
    Katiepants 14/20
    Knit Witch 10.125/4
    Lynnejk 2/8
    Maisie M 3.25/14
    Mally Girl 2/4
    Meekie 0/22
    Moneyx3 3/12
    Monnagran 3/7
    Sa1sysoo 2/12
    SIRENS 8/9
    Sue14 4/10
    Tessie bear 0/8
    Thriftmonster 0/10
    TiredTrophy 5.6/17.6
    X Duvessa X 6/11
    Zafiro1984 0/5

8 st 4.215 lb
    V3ry - 389.60
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 11th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Decided to eat all the Mothers day choc in one go...i feel a bit choced out and no inclination to have more!
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 11th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Hi. Not done too well this week, I've gained 0.8lbs
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 12th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 13,127 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Hi all

Sorry I have been a bit Awol. Its been a nightmare month February and things have not gone to plan. DH's father died at the beginning of Feb and was due to be buried last Friday but we had to postpone due to the snow. Then the snow meant we were off work and school for three days and the chaos that ensued from that meant that last week I was absolutely manic at work. Then I had my parents golden anniversary and our anniversary within a couple of days of each other and then Mothers day yesterday - phew.

Thankfully I have managed to STS but I doubt that I will meet my 14lb target for this challenge but I will try and get as close as possible.
    GC 2018 Jan 246.87/250, Feb 316.43/250
    Lbs lost 6 Jan 18 - 30 Mar 18 - 2/14
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 12th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Maisie M - look after yourself, that's an awful lot of happenings in a month.

My skin is starting to peel off due to my fluid retention - not a pretty sight, but I'm piling on the moisturiser. It reminds me of when I was child and my skin would peel after being in the sun. It's just like that but without the suntan

I'm back on the diet, strange to say but it's sort of a relief having to control what I put in my mouth.

yesterday:-
    L - scrambled egg on toast, apple
    D - pushed the boat out a bit as it was Mother's Day, got out different plates, different cutlery and glasses. The kids arrived and did my housework and went shopping for me as I'm still restricted and not allowed to drive or lift anything heavier than a kettle. (I say kids but they're in their late forties)
    Starter - melon with black forest ham
    main - venison and veg. wine
    pud - homemade rum and raisin icecream - more rum than raisins
    Coffee/port and bit of cheese

Today - back to normal
    L - a bit of cheese, apple, walnuts
    D - something with mince and veg, sugarfree jelly and frozen berries from last year
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 13th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hi folks.....
    Been running and cycling.
    Cooked a different meal for myself as I fancied brown rice.

The end of the task is in sight....then back to foreign shores with no idea where we will be next as DH looks for work.
    Doing stress exercise not chocolate
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 13th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 26,349 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Urghh, have been away with work for two days and have been at the mercy of the venue catering team.
    Yesterday:
    B A!pen with skim
    L salmon fish cake and salad
    D corn fed chicken breast, swede, carrot, pots

Today:
    B sausage, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, tomato
    L hot cross bun at the services on way home
    D (DS2 cooked) Mac and cheese with green beans (bless him)

Took two f!umps with me to keep my blood sugar levels up

Oh and it's my TOTM so I feel even more enormous than ever!
    Back to normal fruit and healthy diet tomorrow,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Apres-ski blanket by Black Sheep Wools
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Mar 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Not much happening here, I'm trying to be a bit more active and walk around a bit more - I believe they say it will do you good ????

Yesterday
    L :- parsnip and squash soup, a roll with butter
    D :- tomatoes, leeks, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots and a bit of cooked swede with a tin of pilchards in a sort of stir fry.
    Looked terrible but I've tasted worse
    The rest of the rum and raisin ice-cream.

Today - not too sure
    L:- fruit of some sort, probably apples and an orange
    D:- I've found some cooked turkey in the freezer so I'll do something with that. Sugarfree jelly and frozen berries from last year's crop.
    Maybe a cup of soup mid afternoon if I'm hungry
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 30,502 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    1.5 lbs off for me this week please Knit Witch
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Well done Cranky, you are doing so well!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    An unexpected friend here for lunch which put paid to all good intentions yesterday. Hopefully today will be better.

Raining so I'll stay indoors this morning and do some admin before it gets too far behind. I need to collect the eggs from my hens this afternoon and if it's dry I'll spend half an hour on the veg plot.

I'm going to order a cheap step meter again, the last one didn't work after it fell in a puddle.

L:- a couple of boiled eggs, lettuce, toms, peppers and any other salad type of veg I can find in the fridge, plus fruit
    D:- the cooked turkey from yesterday with veg, sugarfree jelly, yogurt and blueberries
    Maybe a couple of cup-a-soup if I'm hungry or cold.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 15th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Evening All
    I've had an up and down week food wise, good intentions, but not always stuck to them.
    Managed to scrape by with a small loss -1lb
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Carmen 3.74/6.6
    CathA +1.5/2
    Coxy11 4/6
    CRANKY40 11.5/0.5
    Dandy-candy +0.5/4
    Dolly84 +3/14
    Dumpling 6/20
    Florence J 12.5/14
    Frith 12/21
    FurryBeastOz 6/18
    Gresleyrover 3.2/7
    Jules81 0/12
    Katiepants 14/20
    Knit Witch 11/4
    Lynnejk 2/8
    Maisie M 3.25/14
    Mally Girl 2/4
    Meekie 0/22
    Moneyx3 3/12
    Monnagran 3/7
    Sa1sysoo 2/12
    SIRENS 9/9
    Sue14 4/10
    Tessie bear 0/8
    Thriftmonster 0/10
    TiredTrophy 5.6/17.6
    X Duvessa X 6/11
    Zafiro1984 0/5

8 st 6.79 lb
    V3ry - 389.60
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I have lost the medication gain AND another bit more - on the downward path again here
    V3ry - 389.60
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 16th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    katiepants
    I've not posted for ages because I keep gaining and losing the same 3lbs. I have 10lbs left until my goal which shouldn't really take very long but I just need to get my bum into gear!!
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 16th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    STS.....it is not what I wanted but okay in the circumstances.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 16th Mar 18, 10:18 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I have lost the medication gain AND another bit more - on the downward path again here
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Well done KW that's brilliant
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 17th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 26,349 Thanks
    Coxy11
    please can you record a +1 for me this week Knitwitch. I've been snacking on all the wrong things. Could put it down to TOTM, but ultimately it's me putting the wrong things in my gob!
    Must try harder next week.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Apres-ski blanket by Black Sheep Wools
    • CathA
    • By CathA 17th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,575 Thanks
    CathA
    At last- an actual loss! 1lb off for me this week please Knitwitch. I would like to say it's due to virtuous behaviour (and no chocolate) but it's not. I did manage all fruit Thursday more or less properly, apart from a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. I didn't go to work early so I didn't have any fried bread (good girl) I even turned down the offer of fish and chips in the evening (even gooder girl!)
    However, the stress levels this week have been the real reason behind any weight loss, methinks. We're halfway through a house completion for one of the kids, so I'm running about helping with that; in-laws have had a problem with officialdom, snotty letter written for that for them (and results coming in very quickly!), other issues with my family that have been on-going for years and I'm close to saying 's*d it, don't ask me to do anything ever again' and it's snowing!! (Ok, the last one is no excuse cos I love the snow but still?) Oh and I forgot, my major !!!!-up with a cash dispenser, tho that's ok now, though I spent a few days worrying about that.
    Anyway, 1lb off, not to be sniffed at, let's see how the week ahead goes.

Happy Saturday everyone x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,725Users online

Martin's Twitter