Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,881Thanks
    zippychick
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 13th Oct 14, 12:54 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 13th Oct 14 at 12:54 PM
    Hi, i've done the best I can to piece the weightloss information together - I hope it's okay for you all

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Here are links to most of the historical threads

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???
    Last edited by zippychick; 19-07-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 86
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 3rd Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Carmen 3.74/6.6
    CathA +1.5/2
    Coxy11 4/6
    CRANKY40 7.5/0.5
    Dandy-candy +0.5/4
    Dolly84 +3/14
    Dumpling 6/20
    Florence J 12.5/14
    Frith 12/21
    FurryBeastOz 6/18
    Gresleyrover 4/7
    Jules81 0/12
    Katiepants 14/20
    Knit Witch 10.125/4
    Lynnejk 2/8
    Maisie M 3.25/14
    Mally Girl 2/4
    Meekie 0/22
    Moneyx3 3/12
    Monnagran 3/7
    Sa1sysoo 2/12
    SIRENS 10/9
    Sue14 4/10
    Tessie bear 0/8
    Thriftmonster 0/10
    TiredTrophy 5.6/17.6
    X Duvessa X 6/11

8 st 3.715 lb
    V3ry - 389.60
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 3rd Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    We now weigh the equivalent of a Bloodhound, a Housecat and a Chihuahua
    V3ry - 389.60
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 3rd Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,761 Posts
    • 50,034 Thanks
    monnagran
    I've slipped off the wagon with a vengeance lately. Life has been manic lately, I've had lots of cooking to do for various events, viewers looking round the house and then the weather!
    The last thing on my mind has been what is being pushed into my mouth. I haven't dared to step on the scales but my clothes are extremely tight and uncomfortable so it won't be good news.
    By the end of next week the madness should have slowed down a bit. I will take stock then, wash my hair shirt and get back to real, earnest life.
    Well done everyone who has not used the cold weather as an excuse for indulging.
    And for the rest of us.............penance will have to be paid.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 3rd Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    We now weigh the equivalent of a Bloodhound, a Housecat and a Chihuahua
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Lol I'd love to think of myself as a bloodhound, but have the sneaking suspicious I might be the chihuahua's....paw.

Well not a great day today, as the snow has thawed decided to venture into the West End for shopping expedition with dd as promised for her birthday on the coming Monday.

B 2 crumpets with marmite
    L shared 1/2 garlic bread with Morzarella, 1/2 small Peperami pizza 1/2 spinach cannelloni
    D fish and chips!

Only plus side is walked a lot (for me) 17000 steps

Tomorrow I will go for a walk whist the kids are at karate to try and work a bit more off!
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 4th Mar 18, 6:56 AM
    • 534 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Oh I love fish and chips....
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 4th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I'm back, I'm mended, I had a bit of an inkling when they said there would be a team of 10 working on me in theatre that it could be a big job, I was first on the list and spent most of the day there and woke up the following day, discharged 8 days later. Absolutely no problems with the op, the Brompton Heart Hospital have brilliant surgeons.

Unfortunately, since I've been home I've had a reaction to possibly one of the drugs, I was given anti-histamines by the Dr which made me retain water so at the moment I look like a 'Mitchelin Tyre' and I've put on over a stone in weight - mainly water I hope.

My aim for the rest of this year is to take my pre-op weight as a base line and to lose 2 stone on top of that which will take me down to a reasonable weight. Gosh: if I manage it I'll have lost a total of just under 6 stone - Here's hoping.

Thank-you to one and all for your kind comments before my op and I'm looking forward to joining in again.

Knit Witch when does the next challenge start? I'm raring to get going.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 4th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I'm back, I'm mended, I had a bit of an inkling when they said there would be a team of 10 working on me in theatre that it could be a big job, I was first on the list and spent most of the day there and woke up the following day, discharged 8 days later. Absolutely no problems with the op, the Brompton Heart Hospital have brilliant surgeons.

Unfortunately, since I've been home I've had a reaction to possibly one of the drugs, I was given anti-histamines by the Dr which made me retain water so at the moment I look like a 'Mitchelin Tyre' and I've put on over a stone in weight - mainly water I hope.

My aim for the rest of this year is to take my pre-op weight as a base line and to lose 2 stone on top of that which will take me down to a reasonable weight. Gosh: if I manage it I'll have lost a total of just under 6 stone - Here's hoping.

Thank-you to one and all for your kind comments before my op and I'm looking forward to joining in again.

Originally posted by zafiro1984
    So glad you are back and all went well, wishing you a speedy and bump-free recovery xx

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 4th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Oh I love fish and chips....
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Me too they are my favourite takeaway.
    I think this week will be a right off as tomorrow I will be making dd's birthday cake and then next Sunday we are having Chinese as its Mother's Day and no one else in my house can cook, and I really don't want to next week (working sat so Sunday will be my off day)

May have to draw a very wide line and start a fresh the following Monday

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 4th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 31,687 Thanks
    Knit Witch

Glad to hear it all went well (apart from the water retention ) the next challenge starts on Saturday 31st March - so not long to wait
    V3ry - 389.60
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 4th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 30,511 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Sorry Knit Witch, I forgot to update with my result this week. 0.5 lb off for me please.

Take it easy Zafiro. Until everything settles down you may be as well to do what I did this challenge due to the large open wound I had on my leg. Knit Witch very kindly set me a target of half a pound so that anything that I lost was a bonus. As it happens I have lost 8 lbs so far, but psychologically it's been so much better for me because there was less chance of failing and making myself feel bad. My leg is mostly healed on the outside now but still opens up occasionally. There's a lot of healing needed inside too and I'm guessing your insides will be healing even more than my leg. I'm not quite over the tissue viability nurse waving something in the air on the end of a scalpel and asking "Have you had stitches in this?" When I shook my head she said "Oh it must be a blood vessel" and carried on cutting.....
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 4th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 55,181 Thanks
    lynnejk

Brilliant news

Think I agree with the other comments to take things gently and give yourself time to heal. Hope all continues to progress well
    Lx
    10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130x61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = 13,140
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 5th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 26,349 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    My halo slipped this weekend as we had dinner at cafe r0uge on Saturday. I had a veg tagine with couscous and apple tart. Then yesterday we had nephews 18th meal. I chose the roast beef but there was cake back at the house. Good thing was I drove both times, so only Diet Coke consumed.

Back on the wagon today.
    B - Apple, 2 satsuma
    L - butternut soup, firecracker chicken, lettuce, sprinkling of cheese, melon pot
    D - HM veg soup (made from leftover crudit!s), thin bagel
    S - whitw0rth shot

Have a good evening
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Apres-ski blanket by Black Sheep Wools
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 30,511 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    2 lbs off this week for me please Knit Witch
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 8th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Challenging behaviour in clients family this week....tonight currently calm has descended...roast chicken and roast potatoes calm the savage beasts.....but probably fatten me!
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 8th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I'm afraid I'm checking with that pesky +2lb again
    I knew that a weekend of eating everything plus takeaway and dd's cake would take its toll.
    There is still cake in the fridge but I'm trying really hard to resist as we will be having takeaway probably this Sunday so trying damage limitation!

B lf Greek yog and banana
    L 2 slice wlm bread tin of makeral salad
    D spag and meatballs, sprinkle of cheese
    P 1 small mochi cake ( red bean my dd's favourite!)

• Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 8th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 26,349 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    After the blow out of the weekend, I've been trying to get back on track. Soup lunch at work yesterday and tried a T0m Kerridge chicken recipe last night which was delicious. Today I've had:

B - Apple, large pot of mixed melon
    L - butternut squash soup, lettuce, sprinkling of cheese, sun bites
    D - stir fry
    S - whitworths shot

Tomorrow night we are out for a three course dinner. I've chosen soup, hake and Eton mess. Then on Saturday DH and I are going for afternoon tea in London which was a Mother's Day gift from DS1 last year! Will weigh in on Saturday morning as usual but think I will be lucky to STS as I feel bloated.
    Coxy
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 9th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hmmm...I was wondering whether instead of weighing myself, I should count the wrinkles on my tummy....there are more and more so I must be less there! Really looks like a deflating balloon.......
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 9th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 55,181 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Hmmm...I was wondering whether instead of weighing myself, I should count the wrinkles on my tummy....there are more and more so I must be less there! Really looks like a deflating balloon.......
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy

I'm on another STS this week
    We're off on a week's holibobs in Valencia tomorrow, so not holding out much hope of any loss next week I'll try to be good and do loads of walking to compensate for the food and wine though

Hope you all have a great week

Hasta luego
    Lx
    10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130x61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = 13,140
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 26,349 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Enjoy the holiday lynnejk

Reporting a STS for this week please KnitWitch, which is a miracle given I've been out for dinner three times and there has been cake. I tried to make up for this by being good on the other days.

Today DH and I are out for afternoon tea in London (a gift from DS1 from Mother's Day last year). Tomorrow we will visit both our Mums and there will be cake, then I'm on a residential with work Monday and Tuesday, so lord knows what I will eat there !!

Have a good weekend all,
    Coxy
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I'm on another STS this week
    We're off on a week's holibobs in Valencia tomorrow, so not holding out much hope of any loss next week I'll try to be good and do loads of walking to compensate for the food and wine though
    Originally posted by lynnejk
    Enjoy yourself

I was very down and depressed due to my drug allergy and fluid retention but I think this weekend I've turned a corner as I've a lot more enthusiasm so I've decided to give the kitchen a 'birthday' clean. Just finished the cupboards so I'm having a short rest before I do more.

The weight has started to go down again but I've still 12lb to go before I'm at my pre-op weight, hopefully some of it will be the retained fluid but a takeaway last night wont help one bit.

Knit Witch would it be possible to add me to the list again as I need some incentive/goal not to put on any more weight. I think there are 3 weigh-ins before the next challenge so could you put me down for a target of 5lb. Thanks.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

847Posts Today

6,461Users online

Martin's Twitter