Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • kath99
    • By kath99 17th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    0 WOW
    Car Hire Insurance - USA
    • #1
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    0 WOW
    Car Hire Insurance - USA 17th Jul 17 at 10:31 AM
    I'm going to the USA and want to hire a car for 2 weeks but I'm getting confused. Could someone help me clarify please?

    Some UK websites (including a thread somewhere on an MSE forum) say I won't need any additional insurance if I book via a UK site. Some UK car hire comparison websites say CDW included but don't mention SLI and others mention SLI but not CDW.

    I've also read that it is recommended to get standalone Excess insurance in the event of needing to claim back the hefty deposit. Some UK websites list 'Zero Excess Insurance' and I'm not quite sure whether this means I need it or not.

    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 13,027 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • #2
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    I rent in the USA every year have never bought any additional insurance ( never had to claim either). Most recently been using alamobrits top package which includes all the extras, extra driver full tank etc.

    I have used brokers in the past and always get their top( gold ) package again including everything
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    • #3
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • #3
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    I agree with Photome, book direct with a UK agency and get the all inclusive package with zero excess. Sometimes these don't cover things like lost keys, undercarriage, tyres, etc and for a few $ a day you can take out additional cover or purchase an annual cover in the UK for these. Check the cover with the agency before purchasing extras.

    Note if you are thinking of purchasing direct with a US rental agency they work differently to the UK agencies and it will usually end up costing more for the same car, duration and cover.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 17th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    • #4
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • #4
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    Rentals booked from UK website will contain LI, though only the minimum required. So if you hit someone or do damage to their property, you may only be covered for up to US$20,000. SLI usually takes that up to US$1,000,000.
    Also as aforementioned, keys, tyres, windscreen etc may not be covered.

    So it's really up to you if you want to cover yourself or not. I do, as a matter of course.
    • kath99
    • By kath99 20th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #5
    • 20th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • #5
    • 20th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    Thank you all, that's reassuring. I've now booked through a UK site.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,309Posts Today

9,336Users online

Martin's Twitter