Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • greyandyoung
    • By greyandyoung 16th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Evicting Family from your property
    • #1
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    Evicting Family from your property 16th Jul 17 at 6:13 PM

    I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

    We own a property that we have family living in. As it is family they don't have a tenancy agreement, not do they pay rent; only the utility bills etc.

    We now have to sell the property and will need to evict then. What would be the correct way to go about this? They have told me I will need to give them an eviction notice but I am not sure which one to use or how to go about it?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 17th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 2,605 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    Many thanks to you all for taking the time to answer my question, as mentiond it is council driven to enable them to get social housing, and I am bery grateful for the advice.
    Originally posted by greyandyoung

    But they have a house - why do you think they're entitled to another one ?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 17th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 10,236 Posts
    • 14,034 Thanks
    Why would someone buy, even at a very low price, if they were unable to use the premises or extract any rent ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    They wouldn't (IMHO): But, in the circumstances described, a purchaser could evict occupants (procedure is not too difficult) then re-let for market rent or occupy themselves or sell...
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 17th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    They wouldn't (IMHO): But, in the circumstances described, a purchaser could evict occupants (procedure is not too difficult) then re-let for market rent or occupy themselves or sell...
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Only a mortgage free buyer would be able to buy with a non paying tenant, and any buyer would be that much more sceptical of the time/cost of evicting as they would have to dig into the agreement between the current LL and occupants. Rather than so severely restrict the market, OP could follow the same procedure and evict.

    If you're worried about souring relations, then evicting or selling to a buyer who you expect will evict straight away is pretty much the same as the OP evicting.
    Last edited by saajan_12; 17-07-2017 at 3:45 PM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 17th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    I'm not seeing any souring of relations.

    The op has more or less said that it's a contrived eviction to get a council house.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 11,002 Thanks
    I'm not seeing any souring of relations.

    The op has more or less said that it's a contrived eviction to get a council house.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Not quite, they said they have to sell the house, so the family members need to leave anyway. They are just trying to work the situation to get them the best chance if a council house.

    That may be reasonable, if they haven't been paying rent maybe it's because they're in financial dire straits and are lucky to have a kind relative?
    • tagemoss
    • By tagemoss 16th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hi, sorry to dredge up an old thread and be a n00b to the site,

    i was trying to find out if calling the police would be the right thing to do, to get my sister out of my mums house?

    i still live at home with my mum due to anxiety / depression (my dad died after i graduated from uni) so that messed me up. (i was the one in when the police came)

    my sister moved out years ago but due to a domestic problem with her husband she is living with us again, but she's been nothing but trouble. The thing is, she is autistic and so is her son, which we understand, it's my sisters mental state that's the problem, shes been living with us since nov 2018 and all she does it complain and argue about everything under the sun, she won't accept help from anyone, says all sorts of nasty things, no violence yet...

    my mum has been stuck in bed for several weeks as it wore her down, i'm the only one trying to keep sh... together.

    she lost it this morning and i had to leave the house and find a neighbour to talk to and then went to the doctors explaining the whole thing but they can't do anything without permission from my sister, which she'll never agree to as it's like talking to a brick wall. dreading what she'll say when she comes back as i passed her on the way back from doctors..

    she acts like someone with split personality, as shes normal around other people but round me and mum shes horrible.

    any advice? or is this not the right place? sorry being new, i've contacted all sorts of services which can't do anything because they need permission from my sister, lost on what the flip to do..

    my mum doesn't want to ring the police and i'm afraid to do it because of my anxiety..

    just wondering what thoughts anyone has? my mum is in 70's and i'm now 35. i'm trynig to work from home but the house is a mess because she's taken over...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th Apr 19, 1:23 PM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 9,134 Thanks
    Doctors aren't the right people. You need to contact your health care professionals about how it is affecting your mental health and also your mother and you need to contact social services about your mother's health problems caused by your sister.

    It needs to be sorted out by social services rather than the police.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th Apr 19, 2:18 PM
    • 7,223 Posts
    • 9,460 Thanks
    Who does the house belong to? If it is your mum's house, and your sister has simply been staying with her, then she is likely to be either a guest or a lodger, and either way, all your mum has to do is tell her she neds to leave.
    If she doesn't listen, your mum may want to put something in writing to her saying that she cannot continue to saty and needs to have made alternative arrangemetns by [date]

    Your mum can then change the locks if she wants.

    If your sister is threatening or abusive, even if it does not include physical violence, you can conact the police.

    Services can't offer your sister support or help, she would have to ask for that herself. It may be that she wuill chose not to do so, and that is up to her, but that does not mean that you and your mum have to put up with her inappropriate behaviour.
    • tagemoss
    • By tagemoss 16th Apr 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    I didn't call the police in the end, but if it gets any worse i will have to.

    mental illness is a tricky thing, no idea when she got diagnosed with autism or if she actually is on the spectrum as she doesn't tell us anything. all we know is it was sometime last year or beginning of this year.

    i've been wondering if it's some other form of mental illness, but getting her to go get checked would be like slapping a croc, you get snapped at.

    not sure if it's her autism causing her to not realise what she is doing to us both or something else that's making her nuts.

    i've been in touch with local social services but have no idea if they will send someone, because she acts like someone completely different when she goes out to appointmets etc, like what my sister used to be like, she only acts up at home.

    i guess we'll have to wait and see....

    thanks for the replies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,462Posts Today

4,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next?

  • RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

  • RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

  • Follow Martin