Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 16th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 247Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    .... 16th Jul 17 at 2:30 AM
    Last edited by CreditCardJunkie; 11-03-2018 at 8:59 PM. Reason: Updated totals and made post clearer
Page 1
    • louby40
    • By louby40 16th Jul 17, 7:19 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    louby40
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:19 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:19 AM
    Hello, you'll get tons of support and advice on here. The main thing is that you know you have a problem and need to stop spending.

Create a budget and put £50 into it for those unplanned nights out, if you don't have the night out you can save it or pay it off the debt.

I've found that you have to think ahead - for example my son will need new school uniform next month so I need to allocate money towards that, my DP also has a birthday in August, so again I need to think about a gift.

Nowadays I don't buy coffee when I'm out, or sandwiches. I always take a packed lunch to work. I park outside town and walk in. I think long and hard before I buy anything.

Good luck
    • louby40
    • By louby40 16th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    louby40
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    It's only screwed on since spending a year reading these boards and realising things had to change.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 26,717 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    As for not wanting to cut the cards up but then it's easy to spend on them. Best tip leave them locked away at home. Remove them for your purse, removes the temptation. Take them off any saved websites (amazon/paypal/stores you use online)

That way in a true emergency they are somewhere safe if needed but can't be used at the spur of a moment.

Good luck
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 13th Dec 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    debtaghh
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:26 AM
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:26 AM
    Just read from the beginning, as you can see from my signature I have loads of debt. My advice is please get rid of your credit cards. It starts low but then slowly creeps up to a point that gets too much. Yours is still at a level that you can pay off. Mine started low and just creeps up. Just think how much better off you will be once they are cleared and gone. Sorry to hear you have been unwell and I don!!!8217;t mean to sound harsh but I just don!!!8217;t want ppl to go through what I am.
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc £49,987- family £37,561: total debt £87549

Current debt: Cc £44,810 , Family £ 39,417 total debt £84,227

Frugal living challenge # 10- £8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 13th Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    debtaghh
    • 13th Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    Well done on he low spend day and sounds like a good plan to cut the cc up.

Frugal living challenge # 10- £8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 16th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 16th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 16th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    Well done on keeping to a lower cost lunch option. Cutting it down first is easier than going straight for removing it altogether.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    louby40
    • 17th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    I can!!!8217;t remember the last time I used my credit card. It just doesn!!!8217;t leave the house anymore. I!!!8217;ve set up so many various savings pots now that I have money set aside each month for different things.

We cook extra veg sometimes on Sunday to have on Mon or Tuesday but then after that it all looks a bit sad. If you don!!!8217;t want to be bothered with the prep why not buy frozen veg?saves loads of time.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 13,196 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 17th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    I am a fan of frozen veg. I also cook almost all veg apart from potatoes in the microwave. Minimal water, usually only a few minutes so I reckon it must be cheaper on the electric and I think they taste better.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 6th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Good luck with your journey Credit Card J

Have a look at this link just some forum little ways to boost your income.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money-surveys

topcashback.co.uk

can be another small boost.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 19th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I hate the illness related spends, can't be helped but oh they hurt your pocket as well as your back.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 21st Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    debtaghh
    With regards to the back pain are you allowed to use deep heat? Obviously check with your doc etc and I donít know whatís wrong with your back but the only thing that helps mine is deep heat.

Why not have a nice bath and relax with a book? Can you make a pizza? Do you have any Ď treatí food at home that you could have?

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    well done on the 2lbs off.

the cold that is doing the rounds here is an all over aching one, hope its that and not an ME flare.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Ask lots of questions about why the role exists, what their plans for future growth are. Make sure they have thought through what you will be doing - vagueness is bad as it makes you vulnerable.

Is the job more interesting? You could be building a good emergency savings fund with the extra pay which would offset the risk a little.

Hope this helps!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Feb 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Congratulations! Makes a lot of sense, even your concerns about security just means that you might want to build a bigger emergency fund.

So pleased for you
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    What sort of things do you like for lunch? I am sure we can come up with some ideas.

have you thought about exactly what new work things you need so you invest to a plan? I spend most when I don't actually look to see what I have - my extensive jumper collection is a classic example. I buy jumpers when I am cold.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I try not to eat grains, and OH hates bread so lunch can be challenging for both of us. I tend to have bananas and nuts and just not bother. Eggs get used a lot here for OH - have a look at lentil loafs and variations on that theme, the one i linked to on my diary is no use as it has stuffing in but you don't need the stuffing in. We used to have a cheese and lentil one until mr faddy got bored. Baked omelettes - onion, potato, whatever veg scraps you have, eggs over and then baked until set. Cut into cubes which works ok. Are you veggie, I cant remember?
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 4th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Hey Hun just a few thoughts for lunches for you. Home made soup, instead of sandwiches have lettuce wraps so get Roman lettuce and put whatever sandwich filling you'd normally have on that. Or quinoa with quorn and veg is lovely. Even if you make dinner and you make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. I'm like you and end up buying lunches a lot. It's so hard to get out of it especially when you work in town and it's so easy to buy something which is more appealing than what you bring in! Xx
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    CCJ, I have a masters and am not sure it has made a massive return on investment for me but I guess it depends on the job role. Its rarely an 'essential' but it gives me extra points on 'desirable' I suppose.

There are plenty of free courses that will give you the head stretch if that is what you are itching for. Have you seen the free courses on the OU or on futurelearn? Might be a compromise until you can fund a masters.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Take that bikini back right now, and if you need one, buy one you absolutely love and that is worth being in debt for. Works for me - no more 'it'll do' in my wardrobe.

Maybe look at teaching evening classes at local colleges? Quite often they will fund the teaching qualification along the way which would be a win win. Would you qualify for any support for OU courses? I did a five year plan - knew where I wanted to be, looked at the barriers to entry and then worked back five years. Needed three years experience, prof quals and the masters as a bonus, and then I could show myself the investment was worthwhile. It paid off for me, but the the professional qualification was the key bit - although I enjoyed the masters more. HTH.

Have a lovely day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,969Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin