Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • snomad
    • By snomad 13th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 1Thanks
    legal wording for representing someone else
    • #1
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    legal wording for representing someone else 13th Jul 17 at 9:32 AM
    Hi guys,

    My step daughter has got herself into a bit of a parking pickle. I want to start following the advice on your forums. What's the legal wording to say ....

    I am x, I give authorisation for y to now represent me.
    Please forward or copy in any further correspondence to her at
    x, y, z

Page 1
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 13th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 10,455 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • #2
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    To whom do you need to ask permission?


    Different answers to each.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 17,630 Posts
    • 27,891 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    You can do all the work on this up to and including the day before any court appearance without seeking permission/authorisation from anyone provided it is done in your stepdaughter's name and with her signing the documents (which require a signature) - use a squiggle for a signature, not her 'real' one.

    On the day of any court case you would represent her as her Lay Representative, she would have to be present, but you would be able to do most of the taliking for her. You would need to notify the judge before you start of your intention to act as a LR. Some judges can be crotchety about this, so you need to carry chapter and verse to show them of your right to perform the function. During the hearing the judge might ask questions directly to your stepdaughter which she would likely need to answer.

    The other 'representative' in court would be a Mckenzie Friend, but this would only be in the capacity of assisting your stepdaughter by passing relevant documents to her as she defends herself; you would not ordinarily be allowed to speak on her behalf.

    Do some Google searches on LR and MF to understand your rights and the official differences between each.

    Anyway, back to basics. Which parking company are we dealing with here and where are you in terms of how far this has so far progressed?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin