Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Badgergal
    cheap/ healthy snacks
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:22 PM
    cheap/ healthy snacks 2nd Jun 05 at 12:22 PM
    Hello all,

I've been being good and bringing my lunches to work dutifully. However I am a serial snacker, I sit at my desk and nibble chocolate or dried fruit like dates and the like. I am trying to cut down on such high sugar foods because I am trying to drop a few pounds (as well as save some moneywise) and foods like dates are packed with sugar and quite a few calories so they're not helping.

Can anyone suggest any cheap snacks I can make or buy that I can nibble on during that day that won't make me pile on the pounds? I have to have something or I will end up eating the overpriced muffins from the canteen.

Many thanks!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 24-03-2009 at 7:07 PM.
Page 1
  • Loadsabob
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:39 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:39 PM
    I bring rice cakes in, sometimes for lunch, sometimes for snacking - less than a pound a pack. I keep a spreadable butter in the fridge at work (which we're lucky to have in the office), and for a sweet topping, perhaps some jam or fruit spread? Or even chocolate spread if you like it. Rice cakes keep me ticking over! Not entirely calorie free of course, but not TOO bad!...
  • hermit-crab
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:40 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:40 PM
    What about fruit. I try to keep myself healthy and find when I fancy a little something between meals it is too easy to have a cup of tea and some biscuits. I no longer work so perhaps this would not be helpful to you but I keep a small tuperware container filled with an asortment of fresh fruit eg melon apple grapes orange segments etc.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 2nd Jun 05, 12:43 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:43 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:43 PM
    If you're not into healthy things like raw carrot slices you could try variations on the recipe for oatmeal biscuits ---> Click Here

Alternatively, use the "Collections" in my signature but this time follow through "Recipe Collections" to "Old Style Recipe Collection" to "Snacks and Nibbles" Just don't read the fattening ones

Also in that Old Style collection are pointers to hundreds of ideas for packed lunches.
    Last edited by squeaky; 02-06-2005 at 12:45 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 2nd Jun 05, 12:44 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:44 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 12:44 PM
    If you like liquorice, then try those liquorice roots. OK, you look like you're chewing a stick (because you are ) but they last for ages and are fairly cheap. Also, I suspect, very few calories. I used to chew them as a child and I did try them when I was expecting DS2, but didn't acquire the taste back - I needed really sweet things when pregnant and thaty didn't fit the bill at that time.

Holland and Barrett sell them Also, if you're in there, you could mooch around the shelves and see if any of the seeds/nuts etc take your fancy.
  • Badgergal
    • 2nd Jun 05, 1:15 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 1:15 PM
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

Rice cakes with a sweet topping are a good idea, might try that. Also fruit is good, I do like buying cherries and the like in this season.

Squeaky - there are some fab recipes in there but all the ones I liked didn't look like they'd help the waistline much Trust me to like the non low fat ones obviously!

Ticklemouse - I used to chew those as a child and they're good, something to think about (though yes you look mad chewing on a twig). As for nuts and seeds - I think the yoghurt covered and chocolate stuff e.g. choccy brazil nuts etc are my downfall!! Lol. I am too familiar with H&B choc covered stuff hehe!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 2nd Jun 05, 3:10 PM
    • 14,344 Posts
    • 14,292 Thanks
    Nile
    • 2nd Jun 05, 3:10 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 3:10 PM
    For a guilt free nibble.........try brazil nuts (no chocolate coating) as they are a good source of calcium, magnesium, zinc and most importantly selenium.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 2nd Jun 05, 3:12 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 21,435 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 2nd Jun 05, 3:12 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 3:12 PM
    Carrot sticks, as someone previously mentioned. It's also nearly the UK celery season for celery sticks. Plenty of yummy fruit - I could eat a whole large punnet of strawberries if they were put in front of me now.
    • SnowyOwl
    • By SnowyOwl 2nd Jun 05, 3:28 PM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 14,802 Thanks
    SnowyOwl
    • 2nd Jun 05, 3:28 PM
    • 2nd Jun 05, 3:28 PM
    It might be helpful to have a glass of water two or three times during the day - this might help reduce the desire for nibbles. It's v.good for the skin and for the waistline too. I read somewhere recently that if you're not used to drinking lots of water then it takes the body a few weeks to get used to the sudden deluge, then your trips to the loo should lessen.

All that lovely fruit you're going to be having...mmmm!!! You could possibly try some crudites as well - carrots and peppers are quite sweet despite being veggies. Perhaps a look through Squeaky's index might result in finding some sweetish dips to help you get the cauliflower and cucumber down. You could spread the dip onto rice cakes or Ryvita (or the Lidl alternative at 27p for the same amount) for a bit of a change.

Holland & Barrett also do some nice seeds - sunflower seeds are extremely good for you, and especially for the skin (I had a patch of scaly skin which had been spreading for about 10 -15 years and almost covered most of my face, no cream helped, however I've been eating a handful of sunflower seeds every day for about a year and the scaliness has disappeared). If you eat them one at a time it takes a while to get through a handful - good if you are "grazer" type person so you don't end up consuming vast quantities.

• Galtizz
    Lol. I am too familiar with H&B choc covered stuff hehe!
    by Badgergal
    Carrot sticks, as someone previously mentioned. It's also nearly the UK celery season for celery sticks. Plenty of yummy fruit - I could eat a whole large punnet of strawberries if they were put in front of me now.
    by VickyA
    FONDUE SET
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 2nd Jun 05, 3:41 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 21,435 Thanks
    VickyA
    FONDUE SET
    by Galtizz
    Or just the choc.
    Last edited by VickyA; 02-06-2005 at 3:59 PM.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 2nd Jun 05, 6:22 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Would this be of any help to you? .....

Low Fat Cereal Bars

1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup Rice Krispies
    2/3 cup chopped apricots
    3 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds (I don't bother toasting them)
    1/4 cup toasted coconut (I don't toast it)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp oil
    3 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Melt oil, honey, peanut butter in microwave just until easy to mix up, watch carefuly, probably 20 seconds or so.

2. Mix in vanilla.

3. Mix all ingredients together and press down well into 8" square tin.

4. Bake at 350F/180C/gas4 for 20 minutes.

I'm not a snacky type person and rarely eat between meals (just once a month do I get a craving!) so not much help really, sorry ... not that you'd believe it if you met me as I seem to be able to put on 10 stone just eating a lettuce leaf these days
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 2nd Jun 05, 6:26 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    You could try eating Special K or Crunchy Nut Cornflakes as if they were crisps, they last for ages.....
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 2nd Jun 05, 6:56 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 7,660 Thanks
    spendaholic
    Apparently, frozen grapes are very good as you can suck on them for ages, still get that sweet kick, but be eating something that's good for you, all rolled in to one.
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: £6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; £50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; £2,500 cash; £36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; £1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
    • crana999
    • By crana999 2nd Jun 05, 11:07 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    crudites are sometimes more appealing with a dip.

also try a drink instead of a snack and sugarfree sweets/gum?
    • Mado
    • By Mado 2nd Jun 05, 11:15 PM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    In my drawer at work you'll find enough apples and carrots (plus whatever looks good at the local fruit shop), but for the "crunchy" snack I bring in a box of breakfast cereals..
    Shreddies I find are very nice to munch on ,and I can never resist a few dry special K... I sometimes steal a few of the kids chocolate ones to have with coffee...
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Badgergal
    Lots of interesting ideas to think about here, thanks to all of you! I think I had better stay well away from fondue sets...might have a go at making the cereal bars though...

I really think I have something wrong with me, the way I'm craving sugar at the moment. Its terrible, I was out last night and I was sitting there thinking about cakes!! But I went home and ate cherries instead, thank gawd it's the season for cherries and berries etc.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 3rd Jun 05, 1:37 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I'm really bad for snacking too. I am trying really hard to be healthier and drinking more water during the day really helps.

The biggest problem though is that I want to snack when I am bored - what I have been trying to do is when I feel the urge to snack go and do something else. Take a walk around the block, turn off the TV and pick up a book/magazine, do the hoovering etc. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. However I think it helps me distinguish better wanting to eat and needing to eat.

HTH
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • Loadsabob

I really think I have something wrong with me, the way I'm craving sugar at the moment. Its terrible, I was out last night and I was sitting there thinking about cakes!! But I went home and ate cherries instead, thank gawd it's the season for cherries and berries etc.
    by Badgergal
    It's really funny you should say that - I'm craving sweet things too, and it's most unlike me. Last week I told my boyfriend that I craved chocolate, and he turned up the next day with a big bar of Divine. But I'd eaten it within 48 hours!!! Sometimes chocolate lasts me weeks! And I've already bought chocolate biscuits and bourbons from the shop at work this week...very bad!

I am blaming the lousy weather - it's feeling like that autumnal hibernation preparation...I thought I might be hormonal, but I can't be hormonal ALL the time!!
    • Marmiter
    • By Marmiter 3rd Jun 05, 2:07 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    Marmiter
    I sometimes buy a tub of cherry tomatoes to snack on during the day.
    Full of lovely antioxidants!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,077Posts Today

6,923Users online

Martin's Twitter