Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 12th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 259Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Indemnity Policy Question?
    • #1
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    Indemnity Policy Question? 12th Jul 17 at 8:09 AM
    I'm nearing the exchange and completion stage. One final issue is upvc I got installed a year ago and never got a liscense/from the freeholder or fensa certificate. I got double doors and 2 Windows replaced as my existing wooden doors were rotten. The other sides solicitors are requesting certificates.
    I don't have them. So I was asked to take out an indemnity policy.
    My solicitor has done this, but having such awful Conveyancers they don't explain it to me.
    Will this protect me/ be adequate ?
    Does the idemnity policy cover me, or is it taken out for the doors and windows? As the conveyancer said, "are you willing to pay for an idemnity policy for the windows." I'm scared she's taken it out but not for the doors too? Someone please explain ,,will I need to take out one for the window and one for the doors too. Or is it a one off payment covering me?
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    It's not really to protect you, it is to protect your buyer, or more their mortgage lender, from the exceptionally unlikely chance that the council decide to take enforcement action against them, once they have taken ownership of the property, for not having any paperwork to confirm the windows and doors were installed correctly.

    It is a one off payment and should cover both windows and doors.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    Thanks for answering this. Will an idemnity policy be adequate also for the sake of having no liscense for replacements with the freeholder. As at time of installation I never applied to the freeholder. Can the idemnity policy cover for this purpose to ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,073Posts Today

5,347Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin