Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Kate489130
    • By Kate489130 12th Jul 17, 7:27 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    How to invest£100 per month for 15 years
    • #1
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:27 AM
    How to invest£100 per month for 15 years 12th Jul 17 at 7:27 AM

    I'm putting aside £100 a month for my two young children which I'm planning on giving them somehow when they turn 18 (if I trust them to spend it wisely!). I've saved around £6000 already but I'm thinking that it would probably be best to actually invest (I do all the current account/savings account good rates for our own savings) as I don't mind the money being relatively inaccessible. I wouldn't mind taking some risk but would be very upset if I got back less than I put in. So some questions:

    Should I invest the lump sum and the ongoing payments or just the ongoing payments? The current interest rate on the lump sum is very small.

    Does anyone have any recommendations about where to invest? I'm a complete newbie to this so don't even know where to look! Somewhere with a good reputation and quite a large company would be my preference.

    Thanks in advance!

Page 1
    • Shashy
    • By Shashy 12th Jul 17, 9:38 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:38 AM
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:38 AM
    First question is do you, or do you not, wish for your children to have access to the money when they turn 18?

    My personal preference is that my children do not have automatic access when they turn 18 (I know what I'd have done with £10k when I was 18) and so I keep their savings/investments in an ISA in my name. That way I can choose when the money is given to them, or just use it to support them with house deposits/uni etc.

    If you do wish for the money to automatically transfer on their 18th birthday then a JISA is probably the best option.

    If it's 15 years until they turn 18 then the usual advice is that investment in stocks and shares is more likely to outperform cash and inflation over that time period.
    Last edited by Shashy; 12-07-2017 at 9:48 AM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 8,223 Posts
    • 10,476 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    Junior cash ISA of the stocks and shares variety.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 8,989 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    What Shashy said about keeping it in your name. Gives you a lot more flexibility.
    Then invest in a global tracker fund* like HMWO, VLS100 or any of probably 100 other similar global lower cost trackers. For £100 each, perhaps split 50/50 over two funds, for £50 each just put it all in the same one. Keep it teh same for both kids for obvious reasons
    Or you might get (arguably) sightly more adventurous and put it in an Investment Trust with a solid track record. Scottish Mortgage spring to mind or Foreign & Colonial perhaps.

    I wouldn't keep the £6k in savings but i might dribble it in over two or three years, so up the monthly payments accordingly to start with.

    * Might be a Fund, an ETF, a Investment Trust.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 12th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 2,168 Thanks
    • #5
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • #5
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    As always, life is never black and white / on or off; do everything suggested.

    For info....Our DD has a S&S CTF (forerunner to JISA) which we and grandparents contributed towards initially. The S&S CTF has done rather well and so we have never added to this pot (it is in my view sizeable enough with a number of years still to go).

    If your two don't have JISAs you could put some of the money in there for them; depending on age I would suggest a S&S version, and AnotherJoe has offered some sensible suggestions on investment option.

    Our DD also has a savings account, in her name, which we have added to over the years (not huge amounts).

    The majority of the remaining money for her is in a S&S account in the OH name (non-tax payer) so I only have to concern myself with CGT at some point.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

    Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • atush
    • By atush 12th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 16,636 Posts
    • 10,336 Thanks
    • #6
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • #6
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    I did this very thing for my kids, and used an investment trust savings plan (used Witan and F&C).

    These can be held as JISAs, or as isas in your name (to delay the age at which they get them)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,991Posts Today

6,213Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin