Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 11th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Cheap Hotels guide discussion
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap Hotels guide discussion 11th Jul 17 at 4:13 PM

Hi folks,

We'd like to hear your feedback on our Cheap Hotels
    guide.

If you've tried the tips mentioned in the guide, were you successful? Are there any tips or hotel booking sites you'd add, or if you work for a hotel, have you any insider tips? Please let us know by poisting below.

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Sally

Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 18,608 Posts
    • 7,707 Thanks
    richardw
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    No mention of the Tesco clubcard hotels.com catch that could cost you more, research this and update the guide asap.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 12th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    Blue264
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    Just scanned through and can't see any mention of Sunday night discounted rates for UK and European city hotels. For business class hotels, Tuesday is often the most highly booked and most expensive night of the week, whilst Sunday is the cheapest.
    • Chriswmids
    • By Chriswmids 18th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chriswmids
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    Hi, just booked through Hotwire.com in London. I accepted an additional 35 fee on top of the booking as it seemed a good deal, and had a pool, which I know the children would love. I found out after I had paid that I will have to pay an extra 10 per day to use the pool!! As you Soon as you pay, you are committed, no get out. Would never use them again, as feel very misled. No mention of pool fees in description, and as it was a 'secret' hotel, I couldn't check the hotel first. On looking on the hotel site afterwards, I only save 30! (Not 50% as advertised). Feel like this is a big con, not a way to get better deals, but to tie you into rubbish ones!
    Last edited by Chriswmids; 18-07-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 18th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 8,614 Posts
    • 8,943 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    Hi, just booked through Hotwire.com in London. I accepted an additional 35 fee on top of the booking as it seemed a good deal, and had a pool, which I know the children would love. I found out after I had paid that I will have to pay an extra 10 per day to use the pool!! As you Soon as you pay, you are committed, no get out. Would never use them again, as feel very misled. No mention of pool fees in description, and as it was a 'secret' hotel, I couldn't check the hotel first. On looking on the hotel site afterwards, I only save 30! (Not 50% as advertised). Feel like this is a big con, not a way to get better deals, but to tie you into rubbish ones!
    Originally posted by Chriswmids
    err....?

The guide warns you explicitly about Hotwire and their hidden charges.

So are you trying to set a forum record for a derail/hijack, or are you just blindly and impotently thrashing about without any concept of what and where you are posting?

No wonder Hotwire took you for a sucker.

eta - your first post found the appropriate thread, so this one is just spam!
    Last edited by pogofish; 19-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    • TaleQuale
    • By TaleQuale 8th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TaleQuale
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    booking.com 15 (+15 for a couple) cashback "trick"
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but booking.com has a "refer a friend" scheme where when a friend (or family) books a hotel through a link you provide them, they receive 15 when they're back from the trip and you receive 15 (booking.com has a cap of 150/year).
    We used it with my wife and we booked the hotel through her account using my reference link so we both got 15 a couple of weeks after our stay at the hotel. Not bad
    • vegasvisitor
    • By vegasvisitor 10th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    vegasvisitor
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    ebookers have their bonus+ scheme, giving money back to spend on hotels and also free lounge passes. Expedia, who I believe are owned by the same company, have a similar scheme but with different benefits.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 14th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    JennyP
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    I've always assumed that hotel comparison sites were cheapest but have just booked two weekends in London for my mum at different hotels and both were cheaper bookiled direct.

In one case the comparison sites wanted 99 and 113 per night without breakfast and with no option to cancel. Going direct, I got 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast with parking for 169 for two nights.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3Posts Today

4,504Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin