Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Talileh
    • By Talileh 10th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gifted deposit gone wrong
    • #1
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    Gifted deposit gone wrong 10th Jul 17 at 10:25 PM
    My mothers gifted me a substantial deposit to buy a house she currently lives in with me. Our relationship has severely broken down I wish to sell up and move on. This was a standard gifted letter template (was actually from this site). Letter stated my mother has no financial interest in the property.

    Long story short my mother is doing everything to prevent the sale of this house. The mortgage and title deeds are in my sole name. There is no declaration of trust attached to the deposit gift. She has instructed solicitors saying she will not vacate. She has requested her deposit + legal fees she paid. I have agreed to pay this so she can buy her own house.

    My mother has now made an application for a restriction on the register...can she do this? I have not instructed her solicitor to undertake conveyancing although she has requested this. Any advice welcome. My mother is pretty financially secure so can afford solicitors it's a bit harder for me as a single mother.
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 10th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    You have a legal question here, so financially difficult as it may be, you'll have to consult solicitors.

    Just to say, if you declared your mother as a future occupant when you applied for the mortgage, then she would have had to sign an occupier waiver form. You may wish to read up about this topic, but it may be a start to establish who has what rights.

    Nonetheless, yours is not a mortgage question, sorry, so getting yourself a solicitor will be inevitable, if things cannot be resolved amicably.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin