I boarded the wrong flight and missed mine.

Options

Comments

• hodgson_stuart
    Options
    The boarding passes were both scanned and nothing flagged as unusual. Passports both visually checked and we were told to board.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    This should have been a security incident.

Why? The OP wasn't allowed to fly. There's a reason they do a head-count before take-off.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The boarding passes were both scanned and nothing flagged as unusual. Passports both visually checked and we were told to board.

headcount vs manifest would how the discrepancy when seated, but if they scanned your boarding cards at the gate it should have shown up then.

The question of compensation is an interesting one and I look forward to the discussion.

Notwithstanding any advice other forum members here can offer - you might also like to peruse or post here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1812051-
    2017-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-261-2004-a-68.html

always remembering that the gate staff don't belong to the airlines, being their handling agents.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 9:33PM
    Options
    I don't get this.
    Gates B25 and B29 are not adjacent,
    Monarch and BA boarding passes are visually very different,
    the scanner should have gone red when the wrong boarding pass was scanned at the wrong gate.
    The passport check after the boarding pass check should have noticed the wrong boarding pass at the wrong gate.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    ....always remembering that the gate staff don't belong to the airlines, being their handling agents.

there's a principal-agent relationship though.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    I don't get this.
    Gates B25 and B29 are not adjacent,
    Monarch and BA boarding passes are visually very different,
    the scanner should have gone red when the wrong boarding pass was scanned at the wrong gate.
    The passport check after the boarding pass check should have noticed the wrong boarding pass at the wrong gate.

This is so true. I've had the scanner at the gate beep at me just for a seat change, meaning the boarding pass had an error in the seat number data. It can be over-rided by the staff but it still should have beeped.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:20PM
    Options
    OP I am sure BA will be most interested to get all the information you can provide about exactly how the scan went and any action you can recall from the gate staff.

Was the scanner a simple mobile unit on the gate staff desk i.e. not linked to any electronic gate opening mechanism?
    One boarding pass scanned and giving an error that is misunderstood and then reset by an inexperienced gate staff without realising why it needed resetting is almost credible. But wasn't this two passes scanned separately, one after the other on the same scanner?

If the scanner shows red, how soon before it self cancels and resets for the next passenger? Is it perhaps an inadequate warning, and an over simple action to reset/override if when the next scan is attempted it does nothing i.e. sits waiting for acknowledgement/reset? Any override of any safety/security system can be downright dangerous in untrained hands of course.

Just because its a BA/Iberia/IAG system doesn't mean it is tops ... er does it? Something in the back of my mind or in last month's chip papers reminds me that BA had global systems problems not very long ago ...

Cor blimey!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have managed to board the wrong plane, the flight attendant standing to meet and greet at the plane door pointed this out. I have also boarded a flight and someone in my seat, we were both on correct flight and both assigned the same seat.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I have also boarded a flight and someone in my seat, we were both on correct flight and both assigned the same seat.
    Yes that one has happened to me, but it was because I'd asked for improved seats at the gate, and the gate staff had willingly been able to oblige later as she completed boarding, reassigned our seats to latecomers and issued new boarding passes for business class and came on board to hand them to me :D.

But that's not quite the same as actually sitting down in seats on the wrong plane! We were correctly on the plane, and I am guessing both you and the other passenger same seat number were also both correctly on that plane?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Check what meal allocations? BA don't do meals on shorthaul (unless you're travelling Club Europe) so there's none to check.
    And would cabin crew even be doing this pre-take-off?

I'd have thought they would be too busy getting pax seated etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure