Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,546Posts
    • 3,937Thanks
    ani*fan
    Ditching the last of the pizza debt
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    Ditching the last of the pizza debt 10th Jul 17 at 7:41 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm an old-timer around here and have managed to reduce my debt from 18,780 in February 2014 to 6,750 today. That's 12,030 paid off and I could not have done it without the help of Martin and everyone on here. Thank you, lovely people!

I thought I'd start a new diary as my circumstances have changed considerably since Feb 2014 and it feels like a whole new stage of life. I'm about to be married; this is all saved for, who knew I could save? I've also bought a flat with OH; the deposit and fees were all saved for with some help from future in-laws too, who knew anyone would ever give me a mortgage? I've finished my training course, who knew I could do that? Things are good right now and the final hurdle is getting rid of this debt. OH refers to it as 'pizza debt', the debt I have nothing to show for, when I bought stuff I didn't need, for no reason, like takeaway pizza. It made me laugh and it's absolutely true.

So, the debt looks like this:

HSBC 4,950 0% 'til October 2018
    Overdraft 1,800 0% 'til September 2020

HSBC is the target debt and I pay a fixed 150 every month towards this, roughly 20 over the minimum amount. The overdraft is not being paid off at the moment, other than once a month when my wage goes in. I discovered my credit is good when we got the mortgage and I'm trying to keep it that way.

The flat we bought was an absolute bargain and has the potential to be beautiful but is in serious need of repair. This is the main ongoing financial concern at the moment and I am on it to keep costs right down. So far so good, but we'll see.

A few things I've discovered along this debt-busting journey:
    • I've become quite good at managing money, but it can all go to bits in a moment so I still need to work hard at keeping on top of it.
    • Getting my debt on 0% was the single biggest factor helping to reduce the debt.
    • Car free living was the second biggest factor and I hope to never own a car again.
    • Keeping living costs down is very satisfying.

So that's where I'm at. Feel free to comment, advise, whatever. It's lovely to be sharing this last part of the journey with you all.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich.
Page 4
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 2nd Nov 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 23,168 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Lovely news - congratulations

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 5% paid Overpayments: 592.38 Emergency Fund: 61%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 15th Dec 17, 5:43 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Hi everyone

My apologies for going awol for so long. Things have been very hectic but I thought I'd report that the pizza debt is now 5,850. This has been with minimum payments only for the last few months but at least it's going in the right direction.

Renovations continue to eat up every extra penny but our home is looking more lovely by the day. So that's good.

As you all know, my pizza debt is in 2 different places. I shifted some to my longer 0% term overdraft so it now looks like this: 2,000 overdraft and 3,850 HSBC. I hate dealing with HSBC; they are the worst bank I've ever experienced. I realise though that they're all dreadful when it comes to debt and they just don't give a hoot about how your account is serviced, how staff are trained, giving you the right info, warning you about charges, or anything else. I think the only solution is to have no debt. So that continues to be the goal.

How's the Christmas shopping coming along everyone??
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th Dec 17, 8:12 AM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 19,640 Thanks
    misstara
    Fab to see a post from you ani and congratulations on the debt figure, won't be long now until it's gone completely

I'm pretty much done with Christmas shopping, just a couple more things to get
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - 0/1000. Car fund - 0/1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target 93.68/175. NSD target 7/20.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 15th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Another one who's happy to see an update here! I've just paid off my cc with HSBC, I only have a savings account with them now which has money from my daughter in it, when I can I'll close that too.
    Older houses easily become money pits but are so satisfying in their transformations.
    Partway through the Christmas preps here, husbands mum to buy for but we know what she wants which makes it easier and the fresh food to do.
    Have a lovely Christmas and see you in the new year!
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 17th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Lovely to hear from you. And glad that everyone is almost there with the Christmas prep. We're having a quiet one this year, our first in our new home as a married couple. I'm so looking forward to it after all the mayhem of this year.

We've been doing a bit of catching up with family and friends, and of course there was the obligatory work night out that started with a beautiful meal and ended in the worst pub I've ever been in. Lol. At least I know never to go back there again. Spends have been kept to an absolute minimum.

I'm planning a summary post about this year's achievements, it really has been a mad one, but need to get my thoughts together.

But oh, this...

Older houses easily become money pits but are so satisfying in their transformations.
    Originally posted by Kittychick
    So so true Kittychick! It really is a labour of love, then when you see the finished result it is all so worth it. Although we still have a couple of down pipes to be replaced at the back (happening very soon), the building is now water tight, cosy and safe with new electrics and boiler and everything. And all paid for upfront, can you believe it?

We have now, finally, reached the decorating stage. I thought we'd never get here. The cornice and walls in the front 2 rooms have been painted and oh wow...they're lovely. The plasterer did an amazing repair job, you can hardly tell there was ever a problem, whoever tore out big chunks of cornice was a twit but now it is all beautiful again and pristine white. So satisfying.

We have a white and grey theme, some industrial-style lighting and a minimalist look. I love it so much. It is truly becoming home now. Shame we have totally run out of cash now we are actually ready to buy carpets. Old habits die hard though and OH had to talk me out of getting a bedroom carpet on credit. Will I ever learn? Luckily there are 2 of us so when one has a mad moment, the other can just say no. I need to be patient, because after the carpets then it will be time to get started thinking about the kitchen and bathroom. And before any of that, we still need to pay for those down pipes.

I was watching a documentary before about poverty in Britain after something came up on Facebook. I'm feeling very humbled this year at how much I have, and how people are suffering more than ever in the uk right now, particularly the children who are living below the poverty line and worrying about how mum is paying the bills or if there will be food. Me and OH want to have children and I'm more determined than ever to try and get our financial situation as stable as I possibly can before that happens. It doesn't take much to be tipped over the edge. We still have no emergency fund and when I get paid on Friday, that fund will be getting started. Somehow having children makes you more vulnerable, you can't just go out to work more, even if you could find the work, when your children need you. I have an entirely different mindset now. It's not just me trying to survive, coping with being up to my ears in debt, it's my family and I love becoming a family. That pizza debt needs to be gone because there is a whole different story to be written once it's away.

Anyway, peace and love everyone. And a very Happy Christmas when it comes.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 20th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I had a lovely surprise this morning when our postman brought a cheque for me that I've been waiting on for some time now. When I opened it, it was made out in my maiden name. It was for 500, could have been very handy. After an angry phone call I feel slightly better but not looking forward to waiting another 3 months for the new cheque. Note to self: follow this up.

I contacted the skip hire company I used a couple of months ago and asked them to send me a receipt. The other 2 building owners have said they will share the cost with me, even retrospectively (they are nice boys) so 100 coming from each of them. Think I'll just knock it off my share of the gutter/downpipe bill. Note to self: don't forget this.

I have also enquired about a pet plan we took out for the kitten as I couldn't remember when it finishes. She's over one year old now and I was sure the plan was only for a year. Turns out we are due an 80 refund so I gave them my details and that'll be in my account in a couple of days.

And finally, I sold my old mobile phone for 70 and the cash will be with me in a couple of days.

All in all a good day's money saving. Shame I feel insane and not at all calm and contained as this post suggests. I truly want to kill somebody, I am so pmt-ed I can hardly stand it.

Maybe OH will bring a bottle of wine home.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 22nd Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    My friend is getting married in the Spring. I'm thrilled for her and secretly think my wedding has given some of my friends an idea to get married too. She has also been engaged for a very long time so it's all lovely.

The wedding is somewhere remote and as a result is very expensive. There are only 2 places to stay and OH says 'no way' to the youth hostel. Can't say I fancied it either. We are not having a holiday this year as we can't afford it, so this will be our wee holiday. It's not possible in anything less than 3 nights, so I've added one night on for fun. So here's the costing as it stands for 5 days/4 nights away.

Hotel en route 60 (no way to avoid this)
    B and B 285 (I know, it's this or 8 in a dorm in a hostel)
    Car hire 130 (this includes the fuel, 5 days/4 nights)
    Ferry 42.40
    Cattery 64 (2 cats sharing a pen)
    Food 150
    Gift 15 (thankfully my friend gave me a modest but thoughtful small wedding gift, and I've already found the perfect thing for her.)
    Total 746.40

This is an insane amount of cash to spend going to a wedding. It really is. But what can I do? She is such a good friend and I wouldn't miss it for the world. However, OH does not feel the same about her (obviously, she's my friend) and is grudging every penny.

So I'm trying to organise the budget and keep costs down, while being aware that this costing does not even include a new dress for me . I've spotted one. It's beautiful but also 90. No chance .

The present can come out of our usual present budget, there's enough left in there after Christmas so why not? Also, we can take 100 of our ordinary food budget for that month to spend while we're away and hope the other 100 is enough for the rest of the month (unrealistic?)

It still leaves 631.40 to find. I plan to skim 20 off our food budget every month between now and then. I also plan to put all my misc. spends, 50 per month, towards it.

This leaves 351.40 to find. Now I could include it in the monthly budget at roughly 90 per month, or I could challenge myself to find this another way. What do you think my chances are of managing to do that?

Anyone have any thoughts about this or words of wisdom? Thank you in advance you lovely people. Despite the cost I am very excited this is happening and so pleased for my friend.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 22nd Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 11,362 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    If OH is "meh" on going, do the costs go down significantly by having only you travel? Presumably you could avoid the cattery, possibly some food, and you could skip the last night away as you would be on your own.

Just thinking outside the box a bit, assuming your savings by skipping the extra day + cattery fees is 100-200, could you and OH have a nice night/weekend away some other time for the same money?

Having been the "plus one" on several occasions, I always felt it was a bit of a waste of time/money, even though I was happy to celebrate with the couple.

If that isn't an option, I'd go for the "find it some other way" challenge - surveys, part-time job for a few weeks, etc.
    MFW: 197,100 (2013) to 99,838 (June '18)
    2018 MFW #56: 4,806/105,000 4% / MFiT-T4 #15: 59,661/90,000 66%
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 23rd Dec 17, 7:52 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Having been the "plus one" on several occasions, I always felt it was a bit of a waste of time/money, even though I was happy to celebrate with the couple.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Thank you for this hiddenshadow, you are entirely correct. OH isn't fussed in the slightest, but happy to help them celebrate, but not to have it cost a fortune. In my mind, I've been making a holiday of it when actually it is not anywhere we would go for a holiday. It's likely to be windy and cold (the wedding is on a beach) and the accomodation is well over priced.

Also, I was thinking we have to arrive a day or two ahead of time in case the ferry (one a day) is cancelled. But if it is, there will be no registrar either, so no wedding, so that's fine (not for the bride but you know what I mean!) I'm thinking we need to take a chance on the ferry, keep the cost right down and do it in 2 nights.

New costing:

Hotel 60 (need to check this, we'll now be staying on a different night)
    B adn B 95 (more like it!)
    Car hire 90 (this is a guesstimate, need to check)
    Ferry 42.40
    Cattery 32
    Food 75
    Gift 15
    Total 409.40

I just saved us 337. OH will be very pleased.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 23rd Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I just did a quick check and the new costing is all correct except the car hire. That will be 99 plus petrol. Overall still much cheaper and more manageable. Excellent.

Also had a look online for my dress and discovered it is now reduced to 32.50 in the sales! I ordered it, and another one at the same price, and another one I liked too that was reduced from 65 to 19, and some new shoes for a tenner, 70% off. Obviously I will pick one dress and send the others back. I wondered about getting my wedding shoes dyed but that'll cost 25, cheaper to get a new pair in the right colour in the sales.

Suddenly this is all very exciting instead of a drain on the finances!
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 24th Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 11,362 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Glad to be of service! Very nice reduction in costings.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 25th Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Wishing all my MSE friends a wonderful Christmas Day.

Where would I be without you all? Still neck deep in debt, that's where.

Thank you all for the chat, the tips, the stories, the inspiration and the encouragement when things are hard. Which is often.

Much love. You guys rock.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 25th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 19,640 Thanks
    misstara
    Merry Christmas ani, hope you and OH have a lovely day x
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - 0/1000. Car fund - 0/1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target 93.68/175. NSD target 7/20.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 28th Dec 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 45,430 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Hello Ani...hope all is well and married life suits Thanks for posting on my diary.....yes the frogs are in check but only just - They are getting snappier and more complex . More demanding and needy and just multiplying weekly........maybe I am just less tolerant

I will put a little update on my diary over the next few days....need to plan 2018
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 30th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Hi Igamogam, good to hear from you and thanks for the reminder about planning for the New Year. I also need to do that. I think the frogs get worse with every passing year too. Hope you've enjoyed the break. x
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 30th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Here's the plan for 2018.

1. Build up the emergency fund to 1,000. It's currently at 100, better than nothing, but not big enough to address much of an emergency.

2. Get the downpipes fixed at the back. After the last quote came in at twice the cost of the first quote, I need to keep looking for someone to do this. Bleh.

3. Get flooring throughout the flat. So the living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and massive hall. This is going to be expensive.

4. Get something done to the bathroom. Anything. We cannot live with that for much longer.

5. Keep paying down the pizza debt. HSBC 0% deal ends in October 2018 and I've just changed the monthly payment from 150 to 100 to help free up some cash for flooring. I have a problem with my name change, the electoral role and my credit history that will all need to be fixed before then.

6. If I keep paying what I'm paying now, the pizza debt will not be much smaller at the end of 2018, around 4,650. This won't do really. I want it to go faster. But don't we all? I'll see what's manageable and try to keep it a priority.

That list is making me tired just looking at it.

Happy debt busting day everyone.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 5th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Me and OH were having a chat about cash last night. I was sitting looking at my spreadsheet feeling quite despondant that despite the lovely new home taking shape, the debt is not reducing very quickly at all. As well as my pizza debt, we are also paying off the new windows. Somehow I don't seem to count that but it all matters and I was feeling a bit fed up.

OH suggested that we set ourselves a target for the year, that we have one year of utter frugaldom to try and pay off all of my debt and as much of the windows as we can. One year of mad money saving mentalness.

I always did love a challenge. We're going to try for 1k per month including minimum payments. Must be nuts right enough. I'll post an end of month summary of how much I managed to pay off things. Ooh I'm excited now!

Hope you're all having a great money saving day.
    Last edited by ani*fan; 06-01-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 5th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 11,362 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Ooh, I'm excited to follow your uberfrugalness challenge. I keep thinking we should try it (for a month, not a year - don't think I could get DH on board that long), but then I get complacent.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 6th Jan 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Oh yes, complacency, that's been a problem for me recently as other things have taken over. Nothing major, just a wedding, a home purchase and course to finish. Ahem.

Anyway, in the spirit of debt repayment and keeping costs to an absolute minimum, me and OH set to work on the kitchen. OH painted all the cupboard doors twice and then varnished them, then repaired a section of wall with some materials left over from previous repairs, then built a shelf for the microwave to sit on, just above the oven, so the whole thing looks like a complete unit. I stripped all the wallpaper, no small task in such a big kitchen, then dismantled a kitchen unit to fit the fridge/freezer in where it should go. We then painted the walls white with a feature blue one. Wow, it look like an entirely different kitchen! And the cost to us was the price of the paint. I think we are both thrilled to keep the kitchen like that now until the debt is completely gone and we can save up for new units some time in the future. In the meantime, I'd really like us to add a tumble dryer but it can wait for now.

In other news, remember the 500 cheque in my maiden name? I have literally been waiting on this cash for months so felt quite justified in phoning them up and expressing my fury. I got a phone call yesterday to say the cash will be returned to me by BACS transfer within the next 5 days. Ha, sometimes it pays to lose the plot.

I sold my old laptop online for 50. Yippee. I have another old laptop that won't even switch on, I'm going to sell that one too once I've figured out the make and model.

I'm also able to make a tiny overpayment from the food budget this month.

Taking all of this into account I am definitely on target to meet the 1k debt payment this month. I'm so pleased about that.

Planning for next month has already started. A couple of family birthdays, Valentine's day and also a friend possibly coming to stay for a day or two.

I'm enjoying this challenge already. And if everything works out as I hope, I will be debt free of pizza debt by October this year. Game on.

Have a wonderful debt busting day everyone.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 6th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 11,362 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Kitchen makeover sounds brilliant. I love when a space feels completely different just with a few changes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

263Posts Today

3,512Users online

Martin's Twitter