Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • almost
    • By almost 9th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Electricity certificate
    • #1
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    Electricity certificate 9th Jul 17 at 11:05 PM
    I've got myself quite confused - if anyone can help me here I would appreciate it!

    I trying to sell my flat at the moment, and I am going through the paperwork from my solicitors. There is a section about electrical works. Earlier this year I had an electrician fix a small electrical problem. Should I have received a certificate for the work he did? I was away when he did it, and just paid the invoice when he emailed it.

    He recommended getting a new consumer unit, and his quotes seemed very expensive for that, so I decided not to do it at the time.

    I've emailed him asking about the work, but not heard anything back. I'm worried that I have messed up here and should have thought about a certificate at the time. Any tips on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated!
    Saving to move to a bigger house...
Page 1
    • MonsieurFrugal
    • By MonsieurFrugal 10th Jul 17, 1:55 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:55 AM
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:55 AM
    You only get certificates for certain electrical work. What did he do?
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 10th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    Or if the whole system has been verified that it's up to spec and safe.

    If the new buyer insists on a certificate it'll cost in the region of 150 depending on area etc.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
    George Carlin
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 5,187 Posts
    • 5,717 Thanks
    societys child
    • #4
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • #4
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    fix a small electrical problem
    Depends what it was?

    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    • #5
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • #5
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    Reading on various electrician forums, I think there's some mixed opinions on whether or not a minor works certificate is a strict requirement for minor repairs although having one shows that the work has been properly tested according to regs, which I suppose is more important than the actual piece of paper.

    Our electrician gave us a MWC for adding new sockets and relocating a light switch but we didn't get one when he fixed our kitchen spots (replaced a dead transformer) - I wasn't bothered.

    I think any significant installation work should have at least a minor works certificate and if you've had any work done that is notifiable under Part P you should have the documentation for this.

    Either way, if your buyers want to be satisfied with the safety and compliance of the current electrical installation as it is now then they should pay to have an EICR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

4,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin