Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • BruceStark
    • By BruceStark 9th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Benefit Advice After Domestic Abuse End
    • #1
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    Benefit Advice After Domestic Abuse End 9th Jul 17 at 10:50 PM

    I'm in need of some advice on benefits and finance.

    I've just left an abusive relationship that lasted 4 years, emotionally, physically and financially.

    Our finances were tied into their ESA claim as a joint claim, I am the partner that is on the claim as the joint person.

    My rent/housing benefit etc is tied into their ESA claim so I know I need to remove myself from this claim and financially support myself.

    Before I met this person, I was on ESA and had been for years due to long term mental health. I had lived in therapeutic communities and been in the system from 14-23 years old. The ESA claim (well incapacity back in those days) was from 17-23 years old.

    This person had me end my ESA claim, advising me that it would be better for me too go work etc. I consented to this and my claim was shut down but I had no idea I was being financially abused at this point. I still have my DLA.

    During our relationship I have been in and out of work and on JSA. It was pretty mad the amount of times it changed so I guess jobcenter could argue I was fit to work.

    My issue is that now I'm not coping, I'm on my own. my emotions are all over. my mental health is not great and I'm financially screwed.

    I need to apply for a benefit a.s.a.p to cover my rent and fund me. I've considered throwing myself into work though its getting the job then getting paid.

    Can I reopen my old ESA claim considering the circumstances?
    will ESA pay out fast enough? I've heard it can be up to 13 weeks for a payment?
    Should I sign up for JSA? even though I'm falling apart?

    I really need some advice, I really don't know what to do.

Page 1
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Jul 17, 3:21 AM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 7,535 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:21 AM
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:21 AM
    You can make a claim for ESA but as you last claimed so long ago, I suspect it will have to be a new claim.

    Do you have any recent diagnosis? Are you still seeing any specialists? Letters supporting your claim will help. If you aren't you need to go to your GP and request a referral as quickly as you can. I had to ask my GP to send my son out of borough for a reassessment as the first two times I asked for him to be reassessed as he was becoming an adult, I was told there was no such service in the borough, end of. This reassessment has been key to getting him further support as his condition has worsened.

    I assume your GP knows about your present difficulties. You could ask them if they'd support an ESA claim.

    But be prepared for a tough time with claiming ESA.

    You could also ask for support from Women's Aid. They aren't always as helpful as I'd have liked with me (not understanding ASD) but I know they can be helpful with others. I guess it also depends on the adviser.

    Whatever condition you have, is there a charity you can ring for advice? They can be very good. I know I had advice when applying for DLA for my second son and ESA for my older son and both went straight through without a problem. I'm certain their advice and help with wording made all the difference. They also helped me remain focused only on what would be helpful in the claims, rather than writing pages on stuff that wasn't (my older son's DLA claim took an appeal and 9 months to sort out).

    Do you have any children and any social services help? This can be another route to advice and assistance. It is possible to get social services assistance on your own behalf as a vulnerable adult. I am presently just getting this now, although there has been a waiting list to get through.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you think I can help anymore. I was in a abusive relationship as well at one stage and probably was a bit more easily manipulated as a result of the ASD I didn't even have a diagnosis for at the time (I do now). As I learned more about the condition because of experiences with assessments of my sons, I realised I probably had it too as I had a lot of the same experiences/difficulties although i was so busy being the organiser/coper it took me decades to see it and longer to admit it.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 10-07-2017 at 3:29 AM.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 11,478 Posts
    • 13,371 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    The first thing to do is go to the doctor and get some help.

    At this moment it appears that you are not fit for work. Your doctor can issue you with a fit note and you can put in a claim for ESA. Depending on your work history you may be eligible for contribution based ESA.

    You may have to claim Universal Credit. Put some details into the benefit calculator on Is should tell you if you need to claim Universal Credit. If you do this it will include the housing element. You can apply for council tax support separately from you local council.

    You can try Women's aid for some support or try and book an appointment at CAB.

    And/or do the calculator and come back for some more help when you know whether you have to claim UC.

    PS Have just reread your post and realise that you have not been gender specific. Therefore giving another link for you:
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 10-07-2017 at 8:33 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,057Posts Today

7,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin