Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 238Posts
    • 90Thanks
    directdebiter
    Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs?
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs? 8th Jul 17 at 12:08 AM
    Not sure whats going on but most of the jobs seem to have disappeared from universal job match. Maybe they are closing it down giving it a gradual death - or stopped companies posting jobs. Either way the volume of jobs now make it pointless to use. The searches I did generated zero results. RIP
Page 2
    • jbond
    • By jbond 11th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jbond
    Nice to see the usual contributions of the Daily Fail readers on this thread. Very helpful to the unemployed. Keep it up guys?
    Originally posted by Stylehutz
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to the DF readers, JCs have never really done things like CV advice/writing etc. IN my experience, they are only really there to sign you on, do a quick jobs search check, and then see ya later. HOWEVER, they should always be able to point you in the direction of orgs that CAN provide extra help!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 12,306 Posts
    • 26,986 Thanks
    andygb
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to the DF readers, JCs have never really done things like CV advice/writing etc. IN my experience, they are only really there to sign you on, do a quick jobs search check, and then see ya later. HOWEVER, they should always be able to point you in the direction of orgs that CAN provide extra help!
    Originally posted by jbond

When my OH and I were unemployed last year, both our "job coaches" asked to look at our CV's, and then asked us to change them - both in content and layout, despite the fact that neither of the "job coaches" understood what our jobs entailed.
    We were then sent on an "Employability" course, where we had to pass very basic tests in English, Maths and Computer Skills. At the end of the course, they asked to see our CV's and handed out templates for CV's and covering letters.
    Within fifteen minutes, I had returned mine complete with highlighted spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 11th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jbond
    When my OH and I were unemployed last year, both our "job coaches" asked to look at our CV's, and then asked us to change them - both in content and layout, despite the fact that neither of the "job coaches" understood what our jobs entailed.
    We were then sent on an "Employability" course, where we had to pass very basic tests in English, Maths and Computer Skills. At the end of the course, they asked to see our CV's and handed out templates for CV's and covering letters.
    Within fifteen minutes, I had returned mine complete with highlighted spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't thinking of the 'job coaches', I was thinking of the normal front-line staff that sign off what you've done etc. Things have changed a lot for the worse, in JCs up and down the country, in the last few years.
    Some of those 'job coaches' are full of **** , and from what I've seen, seem to spend more energy on trying to trip ppl up and find clever ways to have people sanctioned, than anything else.
    I certainly wouldn't listen to any of their advice, because quite often, they have their own 'agenda' in mind!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 12,306 Posts
    • 26,986 Thanks
    andygb
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't thinking of the 'job coaches', I was thinking of the normal front-line staff that sign off what you've done etc. Things have changed a lot for the worse, in JCs up and down the country, in the last few years.
    Some of those 'job coaches' are full of **** , and from what I've seen, seem to spend more energy on trying to trip ppl up and find clever ways to have people sanctioned, than anything else.
    I certainly wouldn't listen to any of their advice, because quite often, they have their own 'agenda' in mind!

Yes, they are called job coaches, that is what they and their managers call themselves. They see you every two weeks, they check your job searches on UJM, and then they get you to sign, either with a pen or one of the electric screens. Then every so often they send you on useless courses, which are a complete waste of taxpayer's money.
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 11th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    directdebiter
    My original point was UJM was hosting lots of jobs from different jobsites which seemed ok as it was aggregating all the sites together. But maybe it had no quality control and got too big. Either way a job platform with no jobs is of no use to anyone! Oh well it only cost £xxx million to build.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 12,306 Posts
    • 26,986 Thanks
    andygb
    My original point was UJM was hosting lots of jobs from different jobsites which seemed ok as it was aggregating all the sites together. But maybe it had no quality control and got too big. Either way a job platform with no jobs is of no use to anyone! Oh well it only cost £xxx million to build.
    Originally posted by directdebiter

When I was using it last year, I couldn't believe the number of spam jobs and companies, where you would click a link, only to be told that the job didn't exist, or you were directed somewhere quite random.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 11th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    jessex1990
    Not sure, but I think you might be getting confused? UJM is just really the jobs site (which you can log into and record your job search on anyway).
    Nope confirmed today it's definitely being scrapped in favour of a new system. I had a job interview at a UC service centre and they were telling me there is going to be a new system to replace UJM, apparently its going to be easier to use... Apparently. Time will tell whether it is easier or better
    Last edited by jessex1990; 11-07-2017 at 6:55 PM.
    • Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 14th May 18, 4:13 PM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 1,202,921 Thanks
    Midnighter
    Nope confirmed today it's definitely being scrapped in favour of a new system. I had a job interview at a UC service centre and they were telling me there is going to be a new system to replace UJM, apparently its going to be easier to use... Apparently. Time will tell whether it is easier or better
    Originally posted by jessex1990
    I've just tried using the new system, Find a Job, and so far it seems to be more of a pain in the a*** than UJM. The ability to record details of your activity from other sites has, as far as I can see, gone. The only plus I can see at the moment is that you don't get a random, and forgettable, number as your login.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 14-05-2018 at 4:31 PM.
    2018 Wins: Midnight Radiance Mask, Paris Through a Fashion Eye, Salvage the Bones, A Darker State, One Part Plant, Sailors Behind the Medals, Dancing Solar Rabbit & Pomegranate Active.

Avatar Angel Seraphina painted by Julie L.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 14th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jbond
    I've just tried using the new system, Find a Job, and so far it seems to be more of a pain in the a*** than UJM. The ability to record details of your activity from other sites has, as far as I can see, gone. The only plus I can see at the moment is that you don't get a random, and forgettable, number as your login.
    Originally posted by Midnighter
    Is this the jobsearch.direct.gov.uk site? I'm assuming it is?
    Just looks like the same old, same old, full of duplicated jobs, zero hour contracts etc etc.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 6,160 Thanks
    pmduk
    Is this the jobsearch.direct.gov.uk site? I'm assuming it is?
    Just looks like the same old, same old, full of duplicated jobs, zero hour contracts etc etc.
    No It's been replaced by findajob.dwp.gov.uk Hopefully it's just early days, it only started yesterday, but it's making UJM look good. UJM was run by Monster, this is run by Adzuna.
    Last edited by pmduk; 15-05-2018 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Corrected Find a Job URL
    • jbond
    • By jbond 15th May 18, 9:04 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jbond
    No It's been replaced by findajob.dwp.direct.gov.uk Hopefully it's just early days, it only started yesterday, but it's making UJM look good. UJM was run by Monster, this is run by Adzuna.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Yeah, I actually found the 'new' site last night, I just had a saved link to the old site, which is why I hadn't discovered the new one!
    Apart from a GUI change, there doesn't really look much difference, same old ZHCs and duplicates by the looks of things?!
    • K.S.
    • By K.S. 17th May 18, 11:53 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    K.S.
    The new site looks like bad news, listing the date/time of logins, searches, and applications, they will track every single minute you are doing your jobsearch.

35 hours in itself is an unreasonable amount to expect, how many people actually manage to hit 5 hours a day every single day? You have to do an awful lot to use up 5 hours, and even then you'll eventually run out of things to apply for.

And what about those of us who are a bit faster than others at using a computer, browsing and typing and such?
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 18th May 18, 7:37 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MarkN88
    The job coach I spoke to said it was aimed at reflecting Indeed. Therefore in the long run it was easier to use...time will tell?

As said it records searches you do, and records applications made on the site, however if it directs you some where else I don!!!8217;t think it leaves a trail to say you applied for the job?

The other bit was because you can!!!8217;t actually record activity yourself from other sites what will happen?

Again the job coach I spoke to said unlike UJM they won!!!8217;t have access to these accounts so people would have to use the books they issue too.

Big confusing at the moment.
    • M_anonymous
    • By M_anonymous 18th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    M_anonymous
    To be fair I've never been out of work in my short 10 years of being able to work until now being made redundant and the business stopping trade.

I have paid a lot of National Insurance as have most of us over the years but the job centre located near me and the experience was horrendous. I've worked for an excellent business for 8 years and gone and found myself a career for the last 2 years but the condescending nature of the job centre staff does not help.

Maybe I have just had a bad experience with two staff members in question, maybe its the location, I'm not sure so I decided to stop signing on (only did it once in the end for about £73.89) and just go through friends and contacts to get short term, "easy" work to get money for bills whilst awaiting interview feedback / job offers in the industry I'm in.
    • paulbrighton2018
    • By paulbrighton2018 18th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    paulbrighton2018
    When I first signed up for UJM, was careful to clear the 'accept job recomendations' box, as might get sent totally unsuited vacancies, then get hassle as to why you did'nt apply.

used it to just log what searches / applications i had done, elsewhere.. (even if just do a 'job wanted' style tweet, FB post, etc..)

not sure if rules have changed since 2015 when i got a job, mind!
    formerly known as skintpaul.
    • sha0907
    • By sha0907 20th May 18, 7:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sha0907
    The moment we believe that success is determined by an ingrained level of ability as opposed to resilience and hard work, we will be brittle in the face of adversity.
    • Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 21st May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 1,202,921 Thanks
    Midnighter
    The other bit was because you can't actually record activity yourself from other sites what will happen?
    Originally posted by MarkN88
    That's the bit that's annoying me. There isn't enough room in the signing in book to record your job search in the amount of detail that they seem to require. At the moment I'm still recording my job search on UJM, but that's going pretty soon.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 21-05-2018 at 4:45 PM.
    2018 Wins: Midnight Radiance Mask, Paris Through a Fashion Eye, Salvage the Bones, A Darker State, One Part Plant, Sailors Behind the Medals, Dancing Solar Rabbit & Pomegranate Active.

• MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 21st May 18, 6:20 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Midnighter, it!!!8217;s a nightmare like.

Basically saw a coach today some random one as apparently they have several staff on training so I was to see who picked up me in the queue haha.

Told her the frustrations, she!!!8217;s basically said....

1. We can!!!8217;t access Find a Job
    2. UJM will not be accessible from around the middle of June.
    3. Use a notepad to record job activity and write what you can in the booklet.

Hasn!!!8217;t been thought through at all.
    • Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 22nd May 18, 4:09 PM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 1,202,921 Thanks
    Midnighter
    Basically saw a coach today some random one as apparently they have several staff on training so I was to see who picked up me in the queue haha.
    Originally posted by MarkN88
    Sounds familiar, but that's because my usual coach seems to be off 'sick' most of the time.

• MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 23rd May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Was pretty much like a cattle market in there on Monday,

Tonnes of people, not enough staff, everyone was with a !!!8220;coach!!!8221; for approx two minutes.

No questions asked, no support, told they had no time to discuss anything, no checking of job searches, wanted my signature and me out of there fast.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,824Posts Today

6,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin