Builder asking for too much money upfront for extension and shed builds

Options

Comments

• teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    @teneighty
    The builder and I have not committed to anything concrete. This is a non-committal agreement and I have told him to go ahead and work as he wishes in the interim. My obligation is to keep him updated of proceedings only.

And yes it is a lawful Development Certificate, I just refer to it as a PD application in layman's terms.

@the_r_sole
    I have just checked the ARB website and lo and behold he isn't even registered on there! I don't know what I will do with him now...Grrr!

To conclude, it feels like I will have to start the whole bl00dy process again if this "architect" can't rectify the work. I emailed him on Sunday and he is yet to reply.

Thanks again all for your continued help.

Did he actually claim to be an "architect", if he isn't using the specific term "architect" he doesn't need to be registered. It is a common misconception that everyone who draws plans is an architect but most of those who work on small domestic projects are not.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @teneighty
    The builder and I have not committed to anything concrete. This is a non-committal agreement and I have told him to go ahead and work as he wishes in the interim. My obligation is to keep him updated of proceedings only.

And yes it is a lawful Development Certificate, I just refer to it as a PD application in layman's terms.

@the_r_sole
    I have just checked the ARB website and lo and behold he isn't even registered on there! I don't know what I will do with him now...Grrr!

To conclude, it feels like I will have to start the whole bl00dy process again if this "architect" can't rectify the work. I emailed him on Sunday and he is yet to reply.

Does he claim to be an architect - plenty of people can do a job like this without the qualifications etc.
    What brief did you give this person? Did you get quotes from various people for the preparation of the application?
    Were they recommended by someone or have you seen other work they have done similar to this?

It's a pretty big mistake to make if you have been asked to design within a set of criteria and then not look at (or understand) it!

Has the application been refused or are they advising you what changes can be made to bring it under pd?

At the start of a job I rarely discuss whether a project falls within pd, I find it more useful to figure out what the client wants rather than just avoiding a planning application. Sometimes it can be cheaper/easier to do something that doesn't fall witihn pd, even with the extra time in getting permission - although if you are applying for confirmation there's not a lot different in the process anyway
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    @teneighty

@the_r_sole

You really need to step back and take a reality check. You were posting about a builder wanting up front money when you did not even have Planning Permission. A typical scenario is once this has been granted detailed drawings and a specification are produced with input from you. Then an application goes in for Buildings Regulations. Also considered are any other items like building over drains, party walls, access, health and safety, inspections, contract and so on. When all these ducks are in line then a builder can firm up a start date.

The reality is you were short of the first hurdle by a country mile. I suggest you sit down with your mature designer and agree a sensible programme for all that is required before you think about engaging a builder.
  • arsenalfan1234
    Options
    @furts
    Thank you, if think the PP being rejected is a blessing in disguise. Had it not happened, I wouldn't have raised my concerns on this forum and I would not have known all that I do know.
  • lucyloves
    lucyloves Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm too late to advise on the upfront money thing (barge pole springs to mind). But, can I ask you to phone your Building Control Office at the council (separate to the Planners) and speak to a Building Control Officer.

They are very helpful and can advise you on the whole process and let you know where any mains sewers are, and party wall details (google Party Wall Act 1996), and type of application.

I'd do it now rather than later. Good luck
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Late to reply but we are currently 2/3 of the way through a similar single storey extension so thought I would add our experience.

We needed planning and were told not to get quotes until it had been passed. We were also set with delays to the process and it took almost 8 months to get full planning. When we then tried to get quotes we found that Spring/Summer is when everyone is looking and we found a lot of builders booked until the end of the year.

We are now using builders we know who are based almost 50 miles away. We have a contract with them and the payment terms are £10k upfront, 10k once foundations/walls up, 10k once roof watertight and balance (almost 10k) on completion. They are on track to complete our job in the 11 weeks they initially estimated.

Hope this helps.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • arsenalfan1234
    Options
    Dear all,

Thanks for the continued advice and support. I think this thread of mine has turned into a lessons learned for me now. I will take into consideration everything you have all said.

Anyway just to update and confuse you al more so, I informed my architect of the incorrect drawing which he did which subsequently got rejected from permitted development by the council. I emailed him the letter which he received in hard copy and asked him to contact me to propose what we do next (he never answers or returns calls). I also attached to the email a mock up drawing of what I would like the new plans to look like excluding the extended area which does not fall into permitted development guidelines. (Long story short, I need to submit an additional planning PERMISSION application for that proposed build (the architect SHOULD have known this)). I told the architect to call or come to my house so we can draw up together how we need it to look. Anyway I arrive home yesterday to find that my architect has already posted me drawings of the new layout (not taking into account what I said to him in the email that he needs to come round re-measure up and draw up again in consultation with me). The plans are awful and nowhere near what I wanted, this is something we should have agreed wen he comes round to revise the plans. I am at my wits end with this guy, please advise what I need to do? I am planning to get him round (he doesn't answer calls for some reason) and tell him how I want the plans to be. Bear in mind, I will not be paying him an additional penny for his lack of knowledge on the guidelines (he text me a few days ago and said "the council must have changed the guidelines for permitted development recently").

This project will have to start again by the looks of it; new architect, new designs, re-submission and additional cost. I have already paid him £1000.

Sorry for the rant, I don't know what to do.

K
  • Schoolworker
    Schoolworker Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you have to change architect as he is not listening to you and does not know the current rules. Yes you will need to pay another set of fees for this but I would not be competent with his work.
    We have plans drawn up for our 2 storey extension and our architect was a friend and very helpful since we got 3 different layouts for downstairs and it went through not too bad (a few hiccups due to objections).
    Our builder is due to start end august but I'm waiting for replies to my emails about when to order kitchen and bathroom stuff. I have a quote from our builder and a start date but nothing about payment. He mentioned weekly paid but no amounts - still trying to find this out. I know he will be busy and hope he responds this month with this.
    I did struggle to get builders to get to me when looking for quotes in February. Got 4 quotes eventually but builders who were recommended did not not get back to me - I think this is very bad I would have like them to say we are busy for next so many months so I knew it. I hope our builder is OK as we have spoke to previous people who he did works for. Time will tell.
    Good luck and hope it works out.
  • arsenalfan1234
    Options
    @schoolworker, thanks. Good luck on your build, it's a stressful time and I also have two little babies to deal with; a 3 year old and my boy who will be 2 in August.

I have emailed my architect and told him I am not happy and told him to come round and lets draw up together what I want as the customer! If he doesn't reply within a week or is dismissive, I will look for other architects.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    can everyone please stop calling this guy an architect!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure