Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 336Posts
    • 374Thanks
    jemreading
    Nearly debt free diary
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Nearly debt free diary 1st Jul 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hello,

I've been lurking and subscribing to a few threads over the past few months and finally plucked up the courage to start a diary!

As the title says ' nearly' debt free diary.. My current debt situation is below:
    -350 CC with 18.9% (interest free ended on 25th June 2017)
    - 375 Argos Card (interest free until 25th August 2017)

It doesn't seem like much but I've shifted approximately 9,500 of debt between October 2015 - June 2017 and I'm struggling with the final bit! I have also tried to get another interest free card to shift my CC balance over but have been rejected.

I thought a diary might be a good thing as I find myself falling back into bad habits (looking at holidays and clothes I can't afford) and also using a lot of spare change throughout the week to buy small (but adds up) snacks!

I'm also getting married in October 2019 and plan to start saving for that come August 2017 (me and my OH have a savings plan, but it'll be sticking to it we find challenging!)

Jem
Page 16
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 30th Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    It really is! I was very surprised when I woke up this morning!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 30th Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I have a small amount of money in savings, 172.19, from my surveys and just moving a bit of money across every now and then.

I'm not sure if I should use half of this to pay off some of my CC. Just thinking because my savings barely get any interest on it any my CC has interest on it! I may wait until all my DD come out, see whats left in my main bank account and then decide.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 31st Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I made the payment to my credit card. I felt good about it.

I spent 27 on breakfast out today for me and OH for our anniversary as he paid for the cinema and snacks. The final thing I will need to budget for is my friends social, which is mid-January.

This will probably be my last post for 2017 as I am hosting this evening (just a small gathering) but need to get the food ready!

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Jem x
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Lunch is all set ready for tomorrow. I have all my snacks in my bag and my water bottle. I do need to buy my breakfast for this week, however, I have money set aside so I can pick up my breakfast and leave it in my locker at work.

Plans for this week are:
    1. Do weights 3 or 4 times per week (did one on Sunday so just three to go!)
    2. Do 3 exercise classes (all booked in)
    3. Count up 1 coins
    4. Exchange holiday money
    5. Track all bills leaving account.
    6. Pick up travel toiletries (also use at the work showers)

I've also set myself some personal goals that may help in the long run. I want to try to:

1. Get into a good bedtime routine - for example, off my phone/internet by 9:30pm and in bed by 10pm. This may also mean getting up at the same time every day and going to the gym in the morning before work.
    2. Drinking more water instead of pop/juice. Water is free and better for me.
    3. Say no to more things in an attempt to save money
    4. Try and find things to do that are free.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 2nd Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Managed to not spend any money during my lunch, which is an achievement.

I went in three shops, picked up bits but put them all back as I don!!!8217;t need them. I think that was boredom as it!!!8217;s raining outside, not nice to walk around and no where nice to walk.

Aim for no spends until shopping on Saturday (other than allocated shopping money) is on. I have no football tomorrow and nothing planned for Thursday or Friday.

Most of my direct debits have gone out. Once they are all gone I will have 96.60 in my bank to help see me through, 110 cash (100 to exchange into another currency though) and some 1. I also have 97.60 in my savings after making a similar payment to my CC.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 3rd Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Final big direct debit went out today so just my Spotify and iCloud to go out and all is well (these go out mid-month and I have the money set on my card to go)

Waiting for my CC to add the interest onto my balance so I can pay it off straight away, my friend also owes me 79 which will hit my CC but I owe the hotel on my holiday 79 so it will go straight to that.

Nothing much to report.. hit the gym at lunch time, had work and am now relaxing at home.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 4th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Just plodding along for the rest of the week. Will finish work, hit the gym and then head home.

Working from home tomorrow so that will definitely be a NSD, along with Saturday and Sunday.

Checked with work and get paid on the 25th Jan, which is not too far away. I should also get my annual leave entitlement back, but again, double checking the amount with work as I have extra holidays which I shouldn!!!8217;t have.

Still need to return my stuff and get a refund but all shops have been mega crammed and busy.

I am tempted to use the sales to pick up swimwear for holiday. I!!!8217;ve found two that should come to 90 for both but have been reduced to 28 for both! I!!!8217;m normally really careful with sales.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 5th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I haven!!!8217;t managed half of my list this week and I!!!8217;ve been feeling poorly and a little sorry for myself!

I!!!8217;ve only completed number 2 and 5 on my list, which is not a great sign. I!!!8217;m hoping to cover points 1 and 6 by Sunday.

Today is a working from home today so I won!!!8217;t have to leave the house. Will need to go gym and do the weights today and then Sunday. I sound like I spend a lot of time in the gym but most of it is cardio work and not weights.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 5th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I need to open another savings account. I currently have one which is used in a bid to build up an emergency savings pot.

I need to open another account so my parents can transfer 100 a month into it. This is our wedding fund pot and will not be touched by me or my OH and will just sit there until we need to use it.

I need to have a look and see who would be best to open one with. I only have two accounts - this is my main card where my salary gets paid into and my bills go out of and then a savings accounts.. but are with the same bank!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 5th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I!!!8217;ve taken my stuff back and managed to get the tracksuit bottoms I wanted. So I now have 20 on a gift card and 23 going back to my debit card.

I did order a take away I know, not very MSE but I have the funds for it.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 6th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Today is a relax at home today. I am not leaving the house to do any activities so will eat left over takeaway for lunch and then maybe do small bit of tidying up.

Did a quick two minute survey on prolific academic for 50p so will start to rebuild that pot. I will aim for 10 before cashing out and that will go straight into savings. Any survey money will go into my savings pot.

I will need to try and stay off the internet shopping as I!!!8217;m tempted to spend money.

I think for my 1 I may just leave that as my Christmas money and when it gets to November 1st open it up and whatever is in there use it.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    We did do our top up shop for the week. OH is making soup for lunches this week, we also needed bananas as OH has them in his breakfast smoothie and I have 1 a day as a snack (we buy 15 banana!!!8217;s a week!!) and then finally our biggest spend for the week are our gluten free chocolate and peanut bars at 2.49 for a pack of 4.

The top up shop came to 12.43 and we didn!!!8217;t need to buy lunches. We still have 100 + a couple of pounds and pence in the envelope.

We are going to be sticking with aldi for the foreseeable future as we are trying to eat more fish, and protein and Aldi do reasonably priced foods and is across the street from us!

My aim is to eventually cut the shopping down further, but I think 100 per person for a month is a reasonable price for now, especially if we are going to be making a lot of our food for lunches ourselves.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Plans for today include:

- Walking to the gym, doing weights, walking home.
    - Shower and getting work stuff ready for tomorrow
    - Getting lunch and snacks ready for work tomorrow
    - Sorting gym bag for Monday morning.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Three out of four things are complete from the list above just need to go in cupboards/freezer and find stuff for dinner!

Today was a NSD, I even left the house and managed to spend nothing (which is an achievement)

I!!!8217;m hoping for 4 NSD this week, starting from tomorrow. As far as I can see I don!!!8217;t need to buy anything. I just need to exchange holiday money before the weekend, but this is an expected and budgeted for spend.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I realised that I have toiletries for my holiday, just need to buy toothpaste to take and then I!!!8217;m all good.

My friend got me some shower stuff for Christmas as she knew that I needed more for my work/gym routine so glad that I can use it for my holiday.

I!!!8217;ve not got much on this week. Just got work and gym commitments for the week, so should keep myself out of trouble

I have next week off where I!!!8217;m out the country for 3 days, get back very early Thursday morning (18th Jan) so I!!!8217;m really hoping not to touch my bank account until the 18th as I may have a lunch time coffee meet up.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 8th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Had to dash to Aldi as we are out of washing up liquid, cleaning sponges and tonight!!!8217;s dinner.

OH forgot to get the fish out for dinner tonight so it!!!8217;s a cheap and healthy Aldi dinner! Took the money from the shopping budget.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 8th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Came out of Aldi having spent 5.29, that will do. Checked the shopping fund and we have 80 in there until the end of the month, doesn!!!8217;t sound much but we will hardly need food next week.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 9th Jan 18, 10:34 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    I have decided to remove my purse from my bag and take no money into work. I think it!!!8217;s the only way I!!!8217;m going to stop my small daily spending.

I find that if I have money in my purse or access to my debit card then I!!!8217;m likely to spend it. I thought about having an !!!8216;emergency!!!8217; few pounds in my purse but realise that will probably get spent on a drink, which is not an emergency!

There is no emergency that is going to happen and if I need to my flat is only a 30 minute walk to my flat, which is really nothing.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 9th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jemreading
    Today was successful, I had a NSD and hoping for the same tomorrow and Thursday.

My only plans include: sleep, work, gym, Netflix.

Currently in a disagreement with my job as I don!!!8217;t know if they will reimburse me the money for the annual leave I didn!!!8217;t get to take last year but have automatically carried it over instead.

I factored in to make a large payment on my credit card to get it paid off, but that may be put on hold until February pay day!
    • db2016
    • By db2016 10th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    db2016
    hi, just a thought but if you wanted to log workouts etc, you could use MFP - my fitness pal, ive started using this alongside the gym you can scan barcodes to add food and it logs water and excercise and i think you said you have a fitness band, it can link into those too i think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,055Posts Today

5,478Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin