Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 27th Jun 17, 2:00 AM
    • 195Posts
    • 732Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    The Financial Adventures of VelvetFreak
    • 27th Jun 17, 2:00 AM
    The Financial Adventures of VelvetFreak 27th Jun 17 at 2:00 AM
    Hello Friends

I recently became debt free 'cept the mortgage, so I thought it was time for a new diary. If you would like to read my debt free diary, it can be found here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610244

Long story short, I borrowed $8000 from my mum to assist with the downpayment to purchase of my 1bed flat. I paid it back in about 15 months.

A little bit about me: I am 23 years old and I am from Australia, hence I am operating in dollars. I have a pretty decent job, but am only working part-time and am looking to do something else. I have had two interview so far, but didn't get either of the jobs. I did not go to university, so I'm going to start looking into some options to do some further study and get some kind of qualification.

My initial goal is to save up an Emergency Fund of $10,000, and once that is done, start hitting the mortgage with overpayments. Also along the way I am doing some very minor renovations to my flat such as painting and whatnot, as well as purchasing new furniture and decor etc. It kinda needs a new kitchen, bathroom and flooring, but is perfectly liveable at the moment, so that will have to wait a few years.

I'm not sure if you have it in the UK, but here in Aus we have this neat thing called mortgage offset or mortgage redraw, which in a nutshell lets you pay extra against your mortgage to save on interest, but you have access to withdraw the extra funds at any time. So every dollar that I do manage to save will be stored in the mortgage, and that will be a dollar that I don't have to pay interest on. Hope that made sense

In time I will post my budget and all that fun stuff.

Currently I have saved $1725 / $10,000 for my Emergency Fund.

And it's almost time to lodge taxes. Hopefully I should get a decent return this year!

Anyways, I must go and find something for lunch and then be off to work. Back later with more ramblings.

Emergency Fund $5,100 / $10,000
    Renovation Fund $100 / $1,500
Page 5
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 9,592 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Wow - truly a productive day! And no call-out charge for search party.

Did you have some particular light shades in mind? If not then perhaps wait to see if any other need comes up.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Dec 17, 11:21 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Cherry, there are some ones that I particularly like. My friend has given me a couple that she no longer wanted, and I really love them, so I would like to finish the rest of the house with them. The store that used to sell them for really cheap no longer carries them. I put the word out on FB to see if anyone has any that they want to get rid of. One girl has commented and I am waiting for her to msg me with a picture and price, so fingers crossed.

I also saw that someone had used one of these pegboard shelf things to make a floating bedside table. I have been considering floating bedside tables for a little while now, and these would be so perfect and space-saving. (Room is a decent size, but somewhat annoying layout) I have decided to go ahead and do it now while I have the time and the money otherwise it may never happen.

I think I will paint them white.

I have just moved the IKEA drawers that I had as bedside tables into the closet. I've been wanting more drawers in there for a while now, so this is all working out quite swimmingly. In the process I have chucked most of closet contents onto the bed so I can go through it all. Already have come across so many things that are unworn/still with tags.

I think I am experiencing what can only be described as a Second Wind I am grateful to finally have the time and resources to actually do some stuff to my house. Having a nice living space makes me so happy

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 29th Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 9,592 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Those shelves are a good idea!

I guess you have probably come across Marie Kondo's approach to closet sorting? You are half way there already with everything pulled out into a heap! I have never had the courage to do all my categories of clothes but socks, underwear and shoes were done last year and I was very pleased with both the results and myself for sorting them out. With regard to things on hangers, I put all the hangers in backwards (hooks facing out not in) and when an item has been worn it's put back the right way. I looked through it all the other day and was able to see that I've worn most of what's in there over the past few months so I'm happy with that. Not too much waste!

I hope you get the light shades.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 29-12-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 30th Dec 17, 12:35 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Cherry, I have come across Marie Condo, never read the book but have watched youtube videos. I've got to admit, it doesn't really appeal to me that much and I find the "spark joy" thing to be a little bit silly. I am already very ruthless when it comes to decluttering. I do not keep sentimental items such as birthday cards or things just because people have given it to me, etc. The majority of my junk is not from being unwilling to let go of stuff, more from buying more than I need/constantly being given crap. I have also moved twice without being able to declutter anything first. Anyways, you get the idea. I just need to dedicate the time to go through it all.

I have now turned my half-garbage bag of clothes to give away into a full bag.

Went to shops yesterday and spent a smidge under $100 on home stuff. I got those pegboard bedside tables, two lamps for $5 each, two mirrors for $9 each, plant pots for $1 and $3 and various other things. So many bargains to be had, now feeling rather pleased with myself. I got my shelves painted and mounted on the wall and one mirror hung.

I am off to some different shops today to return some pjs that Mum bought me for Xmas that are too small.

There is still so much organising that needs to be done, but I am making really good progress.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Dec 17, 1:22 AM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 9,592 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think the system is more for people like me who find it hard to know what can be got rid of! Having said that, I am rubbish at decluttering so I read about it enough to spur me on.

It sounds as though you've had a very productive day at the sales!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 31st Dec 17, 1:22 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Waaah! I just typed out a massive post and somehow managed to make it disappear.

Anyways, today is the last day of 2017. Usually I would write out some pretty hardcore financial goals, but this year, my goal is to scale back on my intensity and simply live my life a little with a bit more freedom instead of trying to save every spare cent.

I think it's pointless to post my whole entire budget as I am in another country, but I will tell you that after all bills and expenses are taking care of, I have $300 per fortnight to put towards savings etc. I think last year I was putting it all towards the Emergency Fund or Renovations, and this year I will be splitting it up as follows
    • Emergency Fund - $100
    • Renovations - $100
    • Car Repair/Replace - $25
    • Investing - $25
    • Holiday - $30
    • Misc - $20

I was going to do a No Spend January, as I have been spending money like crazy this month, but I think it's better to just work on sticking to my budget and being more conscious about what I am spending instead.

Today I am focusing on getting my house completely clean and tidy. I also have someone hopefully coming to pick up a bookshelf that I sold on FB.

• VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 31st Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Bookshelf sold for $60. Unfortunately, I have to put that straight on the credit card because it appears that I already spent the money before I had it.

Well the credit card is no more. I have chopped it up so I can no longer use it. I am going to keep the account open in case I ever need it for travelling overseas, I will order a new one. But until then, no credit cards. I am rather pleased as this will free up some space in my wallet and hopefully stop me from spending quite as recklessly.

As stupid as it sounds, I feel weirded out having just the one debit card to rely on. Which is stupid, because I survived for how many years with just one card? I will get an ATM card from the bank as backup just in case.

I am going to start doing cash only for groceries. I think when you rely on cards for so long, you forget what it's like to spend actual money. So silly.

• VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 1st Jan 18, 1:07 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Happy 2018 everyone! I didn't have the best night, for various reasons that I won't go into.

I thought I would list out some positive things that happened in 2017 in an attempt to make myself feel better

-I paid of the $8000 loan to my mum
    -I got out of a toxic job and into one that is positive and will be great for my future
    -I made some great changes to my apartment and got new flooring put in
    -I ended the year with $5000 in my Emergency Fund
    -I met my BF
    -I overall feel much more happy and content with my life.

Now let's talk about 2018.

I already rambled on in previous posts about my goals, but wanted to mention another one.

I really want to lose 7kgs. This has been an ongoing battle for me and I really want to get on top of it, stat. My weight, whilst technically not *that* bad, is I think a lot of the reason why I am miserable sometimes. A lot of the time, I refuse to buy clothes because I don't want to waste money by purchasing my current size. Then I don't want to go out and do stuff because I have nothing to wear/feel like crap about myself.

So my January goal is to stick to my caloric limit every single day, and avoid chocolate at all costs.

• armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 1st Jan 18, 5:38 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Well done in 2017! That's one of my goals as well, so I hope you update on progress (selfishly, so I can feel inspired!)
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    May 2018 $211,274.60 Current MFD 31 June 2035
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 1st Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 5,640 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Good luck VF

A great success 2017 was for you, here's to a successful 2018

Bexster
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 7th Jan 18, 2:28 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you Ace and Bex

Diet update: Not off to a great start. So hard to not eat crap when you're at home all day. I bought a yoga mat so that I can do sit ups and whatnot on the floor. Haven't done any yet, but at least it's a step in the right direction I have lost weight, but only because I am sick with a god awful cold and have no appetite.

BF got back yesterday and we had a lovely night together. Had takeout dinner and watched some Suits on netflix. He is at work today, but back again for dinner tonight. I am making honey soy chicken stir fry with rice.

Today is my last day off. Back to work tomorrow. Taking it easy getting a few house chores done today, but mostly just trying to rest and try and kick this awful cold.

Money update:

Payday happened so I added $100 to the Emergency Fund and $100 to Renovation Fund

Emergency Fund $5100
    Renovation Fund $100

I have plans to get the flooring carried through to the kitchen as soon as I have the $$, but in the process I would need to replace my oven. Contemplating purchasing a second hand one, as I don't want to spend $1000 only to have to get rid of it when I end up deciding to fully renovate my kitchen in the next couple of years.

My friend is extremely against the idea of a second hand oven, but I don't really think it's that big of a deal. In my opinion, you give it a good clean out and it's at such a high temperature that it shouldn't have any 'germs' thoughts?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

4,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin