Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 25th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,357Posts
    • 22,494Thanks
    Misslayed
    ONE tip for Newbies from Old Hands
    • 25th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    ONE tip for Newbies from Old Hands 25th Jun 17 at 11:49 AM
    I know this has been done a thousand times before, but there are new people joining all the time, looking for advice, so let's just give the benefit of our experience and pass on the ONE tip you think might help.

Mine is - think about wether you want to give out your real dob to random strangers. I always use my 'comping dob', which is one month and one year different from my real dob. I'm taking a chance, as technically I could be eliminated for not giving it, but I'd always plead 'fat fingers' if required, I just think I'd rather preserve my personal details for data protection.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Page 3
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 27th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 46,693 Thanks
    euronorris
    Enter local competitions. Generally speaking, there are far fewer entrants, so your chances are better. Also, it tends to be for local events, theatres etc, so a win can mean a cheap/free day/evening out!

ie, local newspaper competitions.
    • little owl
    • By little owl 28th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    little owl
    Before you enter any comp ask yourself, What are my chances of winning this?. If there are 5k entrants - expect the worst. If there is at least one hoop to jump through (and believe me this narrows it down considerably) then you will be in with a chance.
    • emmaandbunni
    • By emmaandbunni 28th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    emmaandbunni
    my tip would be only enter when it's fun, comping is meant to be a hobby it is taking part that is fun, chatting with other compers and the occasional win.
    • Defoe
    • By Defoe 28th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 5,961 Thanks
    Defoe
    Or if your children are grown up, get engagement pictures!
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    Or better still win a Superhero costume for your dog
    Still cracking on....

Wins in 2018: 14 prizes realised value 950
    Wins in 2017: 53 prizes realised value 2,556
    Wins in 2016: 51 prizes realised value 790
    Wins in 2015: 81 prizes realised value 2,065
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 11th Feb 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 22,494 Thanks
    Misslayed
    Valentine's Day, Mothers' Day and Easter coming up, take photos of any special culinary creations and store for future use.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • toniq
    • By toniq 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 28,393 Posts
    • 620,661 Thanks
    toniq
    Always thank the company for the prize received, if by email or social media I always thank the company as it's good manners.

x
    !!!9835; HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!!!!9835;

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin