Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• rachlikeswinter
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Not a bad idea anyway, because a heavy handbag plays havoc with your spine over the years.
    On my soapbox now: the smallest handbag possible, and worn cross-body rather than on the shoulder, is the best scenario.

Actually, the best scenario is a small backpack-type bag, but even I find that inconvenient.

If lots of stuff is inevitable, then still keep the handbag small, but put all the other [STRIKE]dross[/STRIKE] essential items one can't go out without in a small backpack.

Descends from soapbox.

Ha I’ll join you on your soapbox - my handbag is actually a rather ace faux leather rucksack from John Lewis purely because I can’t stand a heavy handbag on one shoulder! I see all these girls going to school with handbags as school bags and I’m like, wow. A) you look silly and B) your poor spine!
    Tip: Never put your bag on the seat - that's how ferals smash and grab them - they're looking for bags on seats to smash the window when you're in a traffic jam.

If it's on the seat, strap it in; else put it on the floor out of sight. If it's strapped in, at least if they do a smash and grab you'll take them by surprise and they'll scuttle off without it.

:eek:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Tip: Never put your bag on the seat - that's how ferals smash and grab them - they're looking for bags on seats to smash the window when you're in a traffic jam.

If it's on the seat, strap it in; else put it on the floor out of sight. If it's strapped in, at least if they do a smash and grab you'll take them by surprise and they'll scuttle off without it.

Exactly that happened to a relative. She was most indignant, not that they had stolen her hand bag, but they had smashed the front passenger window. Her comment: why didn't they just open the unlocked door?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    My CV shows absolutely B-all - because I'm not planning on needing one again ;)

Mine is more of a portfolio that changes depending on what I'm going for, with a past work history from a long time ago.

My portfolio is more important than a solid work history, and consequently does vary depending on the value and nature of any contract.

Great to hear your double good news Sue, I did quote a post but it doesn't seem to have shown.
    💙💛 💔
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don’t actually cook - there’s a proper chef in every Chalet so we just help with prep and then all the serving. But no it doesn’t bother me - I was brought up an omnivore and ate meat until I was 26 so it would be quite hypocritical of me now to screech about touching or serving animals. If it was my Chalet business it would be a different matter but as it is, I’m not participating in ‘supply and demand’ so I don’t care what other people eat. France is quite Er... resistant to a veg lifestyle so it can be a challenge out and about but luckily we have to be fed as part of our contract and the chefs I work with are really great and always make sure I eat well! Plus French bread is the BEST so there’s always that.

Pah - GF and I cooked, served and cleaned for the whole chalet and certainly neither of us was a chef!

Just looked at the Morzine webacm - looking very seasonal already and more snow due over the weekend, I guess you will be travelling out soon to prep. Don't forget to post some photos so I can vicariously relive my youth. :)
    I think....
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Pah - GF and I cooked, served and cleaned for the whole chalet and certainly neither of us was a chef!

Just looked at the Morzine webacm - looking very seasonal already and more snow due over the weekend, I guess you will be travelling out soon to prep. Don't forget to post some photos so I can vicariously relive my youth. :)

My son and his gf did that for a season. It’s very hard work!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 12:13PM
    Options
    I'd never go to a chalet and cook. I didn't even know there were such things as chalet people until recent years when it's occasionally cropped up on the Internet, like just now.

I'd not want to cook because ..... they'd all want/expect food that was entirely alien to me and I'd have NO concept of what they were on about.

If they wanted jacket spuds and beans .... or beans on toast .... or a straight forward Sunday roast or spotted short richard with custard and/or other steamed puds, fine, a nice pineapple upside down pudding and lashings of custard do you? But I wouldn't know anything about seafood, meats, cuts, posh ingredients, funny words used and grains etc.

Egg and chips all right? I can do that.
    Pie? Great, in a jiffy.
    Bit of stew and dumplings? Yep, no problem.

Quinoa infused with squid ink and served with lobster .... er .... do what?
    Using a processor/blender and/or a food mixer - never used any of them.... "so this is the plug then... OK, got that much"
    Dishwasher: Forget it. Never used one, wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Especially starters... I'm not familiar with starters at all. We never had them at home; I've never bothered with them. Funny starters....forget it.

I also can't touch meat - so certainly can't go grubbing about with it and touching it..... or cutting bits out etc.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd never go to a chalet and cook. I didn't even know there were such things as chalet people until recent years when it's occasionally cropped up on the Internet, like just now.

I'd not want to cook because ..... they'd all want/expect food that was entirely alien to me and I'd have NO concept of what they were on about.

If they wanted jacket spuds and beans .... or beans on toast .... or a straight forward Sunday roast or spotted short richard with custard and/or other steamed puds, fine, a nice pineapple upside down pudding and lashings of custard do you? But I wouldn't know anything about seafood, meats, cuts, posh ingredients, funny words used and grains etc.

Egg and chips all right? I can do that.
    Pie? Great, in a jiffy.
    Bit of stew and dumplings? Yep, no problem.

Quinoa infused with squid ink and served with lobster .... er .... do what?
    Using a processor/blender and/or a food mixer - never used any of them.... "so this is the plug then... OK, got that much"
    Dishwasher: Forget it. Never used one, wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Especially starters... I'm not familiar with starters at all. We never had them at home; I've never bothered with them. Funny starters....forget it.

I also can't touch meat - so certainly can't go grubbing about with it and touching it..... or cutting bits out etc.

I think that you are right to avoid this particular job by a mile. It's just not for you. But, everybody has their bete noire. I'd hate to be in a job where I had to greet lots of people and remember their names. :eek:

You have very strong IT skills, PN, and working in that area would be a nightmare for others.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    My son and his gf did that for a season. It’s very hard work!
    Job wasn't hard work if you were organised, spending 6.30 - 10.30 every day serving breakfast then cleaning and prepping, 10:30-4:30 anowboarding, 5:00 to 11 clearing up tea, cooking and serving dinner and washing up then 11pm - ram drinking beer and dancing was hard work... but in a good way!
    I think....
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've got vague memories of a series of books when I was a wee thing called "Chalet Girl".

I never read them, dunno why. Proabably because I preferred the Biggles books.

Hang on, I'll go a-googlin'..............

Edit.....
    Oops! :o:o:o:o
    NOT "The Chalet Girl"! Those books are more along the lines of ahem! "Confessions of........", and
    I deffo never read anything like that as a pre-teen/early teen! :eek: :eek:

No, they were called "The Chalet School", written between 1947 and 1970 by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer.
    Some of my friends read them, but not me.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• rachlikeswinter
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Job wasn't hard work if you were organised, spending 6.30 - 10.30 every day serving breakfast then cleaning and prepping, 10:30-4:30 anowboarding, 5:00 to 11 clearing up tea, cooking and serving dinner and washing up then 11pm - ram drinking beer and dancing was hard work... but in a good way!

Exactly ;)

It IS hard work - physically - but it’s easy in the sense it’s not stressful and it’s process-driven. In the real world I sit at a desk all day and use my brain and get very stressed. As well as being very creative. So the winter is the antithesis of that!

PasturesNew - yes, this is why the company I work for employs fully trained chefs. It’s a very high end / luxury chalet experience so you get a full 5 course dinner every night, cooked breakfast and afternoon tea.. I certainly couldn’t do that! Loads of companies hire all round hosts/chefs but our roles are separated out. I just get to do all the fun cleaning and hosting and driving ha =/

3 days to go! Snow is looking excellent. They opened the lifts 2 weeks early this Year. Just hope my roommate is nice.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure