Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    michaels wrote: »
    A conundrum.

The car door has a scratch and a couple of small dents. The guy who did it admits liability and wants it to go to a small local repairer outside insurance. We have got quote from the two local garages he recomended, chips away and a big insurance repairer. The quotes are 300, 420, 700 and 1600! The car is 2.5 years old and worth about 8k. Should we let it go to one of the two low quote local garages or insist on a insurance company level price which will no doubt result in it going through insurance, our insurance co being notified, our renewal premium impacted and potentially a protracted battle for us to get our excess back. Thoughts?

I would go to one of the local ones, provided you have the right to reject the repair if it is not to standard.

Notification will result in a higher premium, even a no fault notification.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    silvercar wrote: »
    I would go to one of the local ones, provided you have the right to reject the repair if it is not to standard.

But there's also the history of the car to consider if/when selling, plus any potential warranty claims related to paintwork. The paintwork warranty on my car is in excess of a decade.

I personally wouldn't buy an electric car thinking it's been run on a budget, so the additional insurance costs may be worth stomaching for next year for ease and price of sale later on.

I'd be looking at main dealer repair due to the age and type of the car. Sorry if others disagree here.
    💙💛 💔
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    silvercar wrote: »

Whereas non-notification could result in insurance being invalidated or renewal declined, which would also require declaring to any prospective replacement insurer, etc., etc.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    chris_m wrote: »
    Whereas non-notification could result in insurance being invalidated or renewal declined, which would also require declaring to any prospective replacement insurer, etc., etc.

That's what was worrying me.

Insurance companies don't need much of an excuse to wriggle out of stuff, I don't think.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chris_m wrote: »

That's not really correct any more. Not since enactment of Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012.

Essentially, that act requires the insurance company to ask questions, which you are expected to answer truthfully. However, a minor failure to disclose (if asked), such as failing to mention a non-fault accident where you did not make a claim, would be unlikely to invalidate the policy.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    That's not really correct any more. Not since enactment of Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012.

Essentially, that act requires the insurance company to ask questions, which you are expected to answer truthfully. However, a minor failure to disclose (if asked), such as failing to mention a non-fault accident where you did not make a claim, would be unlikely to invalidate the policy.

I think the worst they would do is knock any increase that might have occurred in the price of the policy, off the payout.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've been driving around with scratches on my car since May. Our insurers sorted out the other party. I'm not sure what the logic was but my car wasn't fixed. I have a feeling there was no excess to pay if was third party only.

...just annoyed my husband by asking why it isn't fixed yet. He absolutely promised to sort it out. The six months I've waited patiently and I'm now in trouble for asking (admittedly in a rather irritated fashion) and not being a big girl and doing it myself.

If he'd have said! :(
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 October 2017 at 8:43PM
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Lydia, re. the mould, if you know someone who repairs antique furniture, that would certainly be the first place to start, as there's a good chance he will have come across it before.

Thanks. I'll try phoning him tonight.
    ETA So I tried that, but he didn't answer. Have sent a text explaining the problem and asking for advice.
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I suspect the mould is the least of your problems. A quick wipe with soap and water will probably sort it out. Possibly add a little white vinegar to help kill the mould.

I once had to deal with a fridge that had been unplugged but left full of food for a couple of months. That had mould growing that was easy enough to wash off, but it did stain the plastic.

I'd be much more worried about the wood warping and cracking as it dries out. These cold, damp houses are apparently excellent for antique furniture, whilst central heating is terrible! I definitely think you should get advice about that if the piece is important to you.

I hadn't thought about that. I'll ask about it when I'm talking to the furniture repairing person. Yes, the piece is important to its owner, but the owner isn't me. I expect you can guess who!

I've never understood why it's so good to have cold damp houses for furniture. After all, they're not cold and damp all year round. I would have thought a centrally heated house would have much less in the way of seasonal changes in the environment.

On the plus side, the piano that used to belong to my parents, and before that my grandparents (made in 1912) has been in my house since about 2011. It spent a couple of years being not very happy about the change in its living conditions, but has now settled down. It still needs tuning a little more frequently than a modern piano, but it deserves a little extra respect in view of how elderly it is.
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Great thinkers, including many from the tech industry as well as scientists such as Einstein and Turing are or were socially awkward.

And Newton. Definitely Newton.
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    And speaking of potential, good luck for Sunday Sue. Go ace it!

Are we allowed to know what the role is? Elsewhere if you feel here is too public, or not at all if you'd rather not, of course.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Re. houses and furniture, I think it's because central heating is too drying for old furniture, so the pieces of it shrink and start to split open.

Also, it may be that old varnish doesn't survive well in dry atmospheres either, and starts to craze and buckle.

My piano is about 40 years old but was made to withstand centrally heated homes.
    I was told that before central heating, the best place for a piano was behind the door, so that when the door opened it wasn't subjected to blasts of cold air from the hall.

Who remembers freezing cold halls?:D
    And that was where the telephone was!
    Certainly kept the phone bills down.,
    I remember saying how much I wished I could just take the phone into the warm living room! :rotfl:
    Then when I could do that, I wished I could take a phone out with me!
    :rotfl:
    Funny old world!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Re. houses and furniture, I think it's because central heating is too drying for old furniture, so the pieces of it shrink and start to split open.

Also, it may be that old varnish doesn't survive well in dry atmospheres either, and starts to craze and buckle.

My piano is about 40 years old but was made to withstand centrally heated homes.
    I was told that before central heating, the best place for a piano was behind the door, so that when the door opened it wasn't subjected to blasts of cold air from the hall.

Who remembers freezing cold halls?:D
    And that was where the telephone was!
    Certainly kept the phone bills down.,
    I remember saying how much I wished I could just take the phone into the warm living room! :rotfl:
    Then when I could do that, I wished I could take a phone out with me!
    Funny old world!

I certainly remember freezing cold halls. Don't have to think back very far - just as far as last time I was at my dad's house during winter, which would be about 8-10 months ago.

Maybe that's why old houses tend to have doors that open towards the middle of the room - so the piano can be behind it - rather than towards the wall, as doors in modern houses do. (Or doors in older houses that have since been rehung, of course.) All the doors in my dad's house (built 1890s) open towards the middle of the room, but none of the houses I've lived in (all post war, and two this century) have done that.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport