Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jraf
    • By jraf 24th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 67Posts
    • 20Thanks
    jraf
    Nationwide Refer a friend and receive 200 new referral procedure
    • 24th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Nationwide Refer a friend and receive 200 new referral procedure 24th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi everyone,

Since the previous thread is full of posters requesting personal details to be sent over the PM system I thought that this really warrants a new thread.

The much-loved refer a friend incentive at Nationwide has had a had a complete overhaul at Nationwide. You still get 200 - thats 100 for the new customer and 100 for the current customer but the way in which you are referred is completely different. It still works and on existing and new customer who has not been recommended previously. Only available on FlexAccount, FlexDirect or FlexPlus Account. Cash Card and FlexOne account holders are not eligible for this offer.

Full details here http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/landing-page/recommend-a-friend

Terms and conditions http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/service/raf-conditions

You need to:
    Switch a current account to Nationwide using their full switching service. This includes closure of your old account.
    Transfer at least 2 direct debits
    Not close the account for 3 months

Previously, account holders needed to fill in a form with their friend's full name, date of birth and email address. Under the new system, account holders simply need to request a unique referral link at the time of referring to send to the person they wish to recommend. This link will be valid for 90 days for one friend only. Nationwide will generate the link in 1-2 working days. If you want to be referred now, simply PM a Nationwide customer (such as myself) and request a referral link. No personal details are required! I think this will make some people more comfortable being referred by a stranger online. I'm sure we will all learn more about the process as we start using it. I requested my first link yesterday so I'll report back once I've been through the complete procedure.

Please PM me for a unique and valid referral link
    UPDATE (18/3/2018): I have 3 fresh valid referral links ready to go out.

See below for more details:
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/landing-page/recommend-a-friend

Last edited by jraf; 18-03-2018 at 6:41 PM.
Page 13
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 33,046 Posts
    • 38,619 Thanks
    Browntoa
    It will if it takes too much of my time to manage it

The few will spoil it for the many
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 19th Apr 18, 10:15 AM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    blindman
    It will if it takes too much of my time to manage it
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I'm sure in the early days there were at least TWO guides PER board.

What happened to that?

These days there seem to be overworked guides despite MSE having millions of subscribers, many of which could easily spare the time to be a board guide.
    • Matt17
    • By Matt17 19th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Matt17
    And not put them in their signature to get around the only posting a referral once rule so people will see them which is what you have done .
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    Agree with this, although have to say it is quite clever if it is within the rules to do it?
    • Netherspark
    • By Netherspark 19th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Netherspark
    To save from cluttering up the thread can we please have no more "pm me " requests

You need to send a pm to the person that you want to act as referrer.

I'll remove any "pm me " posts from now on

Thank you
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    it expires.

New user has to look for posts that offered referrals.
    Originally posted by blindman
    Except that users looking to be referred are only going to look at the most recent post (or the original post who is always at the top of every page). They aren't going to search through 14 pages of links that could well be out of date or from inactive users. The only people who will get their links used will be Jraf or whoever posted last, everyone else will just be overlooked. It simply isn't fair that way.

The way it is now isn't perfect, it's messy. But at least everyone has a decent chance to give out their links, and frankly it's easier for users wanting a link as well.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 19-04-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • SamMoneySaver
    • By SamMoneySaver 19th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SamMoneySaver
    Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Admins, why is there an issue with users asking for a referral pm? Doesn't this drive the site with visitors as users know where to come and tell others where to find referral links?

Can users ask for referral links and soon as they have them, edit their post saying link received. This would make it easier for both parties and stop them getting bombarded with links via pm's? IT will also allow the admins to better manage their time.

The signature part is a good idea as it's a quick way to know who has active links available. However, no one will look through all the pages. But if this is the only option that the admin's want, then we have to obey the rules.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Love Saving others Money
    • blindman
    • By blindman 19th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    blindman
    Except that users looking to be referred are only going to look at the most recent post (or the original post who is always at the top of every single page). They aren't going to search through 14 pages of links that could well be out of date or from inactive users. The only people who will get their links used will be Jraf or whoever posted last, everyone else will just be overlooked. It simply isn't fair that way.

The way it is now isn't perfect, it's messy. But at least everyone has a decent chance to give out their links, and frankly it's easier for users wanting a link as well.
    Originally posted by Netherspark
    I agree, I don't make the rules of this thread.

It should be a big list at the beginning of the thread, edited by the board guide

However it is being abused by supposedly "newbies" who's first (and usually only) post is in this thread.

It is so easy to create duplicate accounts, that I've asked for this thread to be hidden from users with less than (say) 50 posts.

So even if the account is duplicate they will have to work hard to post in here.
    • Netherspark
    • By Netherspark 19th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Netherspark
    It is so easy to create duplicate accounts, that I've asked for this thread to be hidden from users with less than (say) 50 posts.

So even if the account is duplicate they will have to work hard to post in here.
    Then how would people looking for links find the thread?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 19th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 13,082 Posts
    • 41,322 Thanks
    sarah1972
    So why doesn't that happen now??

Lots of users now create "new" accounts and post.

You could easily stop that

But I doubt you will.
    How can I stop that ??

I am a board guide, not a member of the forum team employed by MSE.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Matt17
    • By Matt17 19th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Matt17
    Contact the forum team-I'm sure you have more luck at a response than us mere mortals

Get this thread hidden to users with less than xx posts (IMHO 50)

Or as a board guide edit it so that only a list of names appears on the first post.
    Terrible idea to hide thread from users with less than 50 posts. There are lots of members with less than 50 posts who would not be able to benefit from being referred if the thread was hidden.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 19th Apr 18, 12:43 PM
    • 13,082 Posts
    • 41,322 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Contact the forum team-I'm sure you have more luck at a response than us mere mortals

Get this thread hidden to users with less than xx posts (IMHO 50)

Or as a board guide edit it so that only a list of names appears on the first post.
    We contact the forum team in the same way you do.

I cant get the thread hidden to new users and I also think that some long term users dont have a high post count and could lose out.

I am not a Board Guide on this board and even if I were, we are not allowed to edit peoples posts.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Ste92
    • By Ste92 19th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ste92
    Terrible idea to hide thread from users with less than 50 posts. There are lots of members with less than 50 posts who would not be able to benefit from being referred if the thread was hidden.
    Originally posted by Matt17
    I agree with this 100%. I only registered on here to post asking for a referral code - if I hadn't seen this thread then I would've carried on being a lurker, so hiding this thread from newbies like myself isn't the best of ideas.

Now I have finally registered an account I reckon I will be more active too - won't be one of those "first and only post" people either!
    • phibro
    • By phibro 19th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    phibro
    blindman you selfish greedy, greedy man
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 19th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    mije1983
    I don't think hiding the thread to posters with low volumes is a fair way to go, especially as a lot of these new posters may be using referrals they get from this thread in the first place.

On first thoughts a list in the first post sounds good but then thinking about it, it would still be a very long list (probably well over 100 users) and new arrivals are only likely to read the first few names. So sort of a reversal of the current logic which would think new posters will only read the last few posts.

Having said that, I can't really think of any better ideas currently!

• Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 33,046 Posts
    • 38,619 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Discussion over

New thread here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5831836

All thread rules in my first posts

Last chance to make it work or new threads closed
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,178Posts Today

8,587Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin