Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,574Posts
    • 28,529Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 94
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 7,793 Posts
    • 22,891 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Some idiot decided to write & publish a guide on how to p!ss off half the workforce in my office.

I think I may hide my green box & just go & add to the mob kicking the ribs in. This is being a Me Too week with a vengeance.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 3,937 Posts
    • 14,597 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Firework season has started
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.6
    Total so far - 1833.8
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,124 Posts
    • 12,567 Thanks
    dontone
    Firework season has started
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I was in the supermarket earlier, and they have the little kiosk set up with them displayed.
    I can't believe the prices £80 for a small box that had a couple of rockets included.
    I think that they are a waste of money, I know that food prices aren't the cheapest atm, but you could still buy a decent amount of groceries with that.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 18th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Looking at fixing mortgage after 8 years for 10 years, and seeing product fees for £1000!
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 18th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 9,227 Thanks
    minimad1970
    A minor irritation, but when somebody's already pressed the button at the pedestrian crossing there's really no need to come along and press it 2 or 3 times. And yes I have already pressed it, I'm not just standing there for fun.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 19th Oct 17, 1:55 AM
    • 27,872 Posts
    • 15,163 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    A minor irritation, but when somebody's already pressed the button at the pedestrian crossing there's really no need to come along and press it 2 or 3 times. And yes I have already pressed it, I'm not just standing there for fun.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    You do get some plonkers who just stand there and don!!!8217;t press it. However yeah it can be a case of you just watched me press the button, so why are you pressing it again you idiot. While we are at it crossings that only ever change to walk when there isnt a vehicle for two miles in either direction. Why bother having it there. If there!!!8217;s no car for two miles I dont need a green man to know it!!!8217;s safe to cross. You do see some people still waiting for the green man.
    Last edited by donnajunkie; 19-10-2017 at 1:57 AM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Looking at fixing mortgage after 8 years for 10 years, and seeing product fees for £1000!
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    My mortgage is only £28k and when my deal runs out, I stick to the same provider where they just move my details across to the best deal.

There is no point of me changing providers as its £1000 to do so. I know I can be paying £20 less a month. Over three years, I will be £280 out of pocket.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 19th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Still on the subject of Halloween, the fact it's now a bigger deal than bonfire night bugs me.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 19th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 52,010 Posts
    • 144,017 Thanks
    colinw
    You do get some plonkers who just stand there and donít press it. However yeah it can be a case of you just watched me press the button, so why are you pressing it again you idiot. While we are at it crossings that only ever change to walk when there isnt a vehicle for two miles in either direction. Why bother having it there. If thereís no car for two miles I dont need a green man to know itís safe to cross. You do see some people still waiting for the green man.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Mind I did the waiting thing when no traffic for a while after being hit by a car it makes you a bit less sure
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 35,564 Posts
    • 131,786 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Mind I did the waiting thing when no traffic for a while after being hit by a car it makes you a bit less sure
    Originally posted by colinw
    Crumbs! poor you! Hit on a crossing?

As for me, I don't press the button if I can see a two-way gap coming up, as it annoys drivers () to have to stop at an empty crossing.

Plus, waiting for the green man is what you're supposed to do! I know that if I can see that both lights have gone to red and any cars are slowing down, then I will cross before the green man, unless there is a child at the crossing, with or without an adult, as I feel it's better to give a good example. My ability to gauge whether it's safe or not is different from a child's, so I feel you need to go by the book in the presence of a child.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • libra10
    • By libra10 19th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 10,153 Posts
    • 200,719 Thanks
    libra10
    Minor irritation - downloaded an audio book to my miini ipad, and can't find the flippin' thing!
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 19th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 4,459 Thanks
    Izadora
    I will cross before the green man, unless there is a child at the crossing, with or without an adult, as I feel it's better to give a good example.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I always do that too but it's ridiculous the number of people who just saunter across the road. I wouldn't be so irritated by it if they were clearly in a hurry but they'll stroll across without a care in the world when waiting for 30 seconds could help a child learn how to cross roads safely. It probably explains why so many parents thank me for waiting when there's no traffic.

I'm also irritated by the number of people who take no notice of a couple of roads near my work. Okay, they're very narrow and look more like alleyways than roads but I'll still stop if I see a car turning into them. I then end up having to wait for ages because the car has to crawl along due to the number of people who just walk across in front of them.

My levels of irritation at pretty much everything today mean that I wish a driver would decide to put their foot down and take out the lot of them
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 19th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 4,459 Thanks
    Izadora
    Waterstones. I pre-ordered the new Philip Pullman book from them as their advert said "to guarantee delivery on publication day (today) chose 'collect from store' as your delivery option."

My order status is still "processing" so I contacted customer services and have been told that "because of high volumes of orders for this book, dispatchment will take a day or so over publication date. They are currently working to get all orders dispatched on time."

Your advert stated that my book would be there today so your warehouse have clearly already failed to dispatch orders on time.

They have it in stock in the store I was meant to collect my order from but at £2.99 more than the pre-order price. I needed it today as it's part of a birthday present so Waterstones' ineptitude is going to end up costing me money
    Last edited by Izadora; 19-10-2017 at 3:33 PM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My leg hurts more than usual.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    You do get some plonkers who just stand there and donít press it. However yeah it can be a case of you just watched me press the button, so why are you pressing it again you idiot. While we are at it crossings that only ever change to walk when there isnt a vehicle for two miles in either direction. Why bother having it there. If thereís no car for two miles I dont need a green man to know itís safe to cross. You do see some people still waiting for the green man.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    I go to a crossing on a constant busy road. Probably at least half a dozen waiting and none have pressed the button. I know the green man doesn't come on randomly. Only when button is pressed
    • colinw
    • By colinw 19th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 52,010 Posts
    • 144,017 Thanks
    colinw
    On a similar topic the new style crossings in Newcastle really confuse me...they don't have the high up things showing when it is best to walk but low down things, I presume they might be better for the disabled. Confuse the Hell out of me though.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 35,564 Posts
    • 131,786 Thanks
    Pyxis
    On a similar topic the new style crossings in Newcastle really confuse me...they don't have the high up things showing when it is best to walk but low down things, I presume they might be better for the disabled. Confuse the Hell out of me though.
    Yes, and they're usually facing the wrong way, i.e. into the pavement on the side they're on, rather than the opposite side, so you have to keep twisting round to see if the green man has come on, and if there's someone standing there, they are in the way.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• colinw
    • By colinw 19th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 52,010 Posts
    • 144,017 Thanks
    colinw
    Yes, and they're usually facing the wrong way, i.e. into the pavement on the side they're on, rather than the opposite side, so you have to keep twisting round to see if the green man has come on, and if there's someone standing there, they are in the way.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I just end up guessing almost and waiting for other people to cross
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 35,564 Posts
    • 131,786 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I just end up guessing almost and waiting for other people to cross
    Like lemmings to the slaughter!

(What's that word that means mixing different similes/metaphors?)

Edit...... I think the one above is just a mixed metaphor.

Except that it should be called a mixed simile!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 19-10-2017 at 4:43 PM.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• AElene
    • By AElene 19th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    AElene
    Cyclist yelling abuse and swearing at my other half while cycling on the pavement!! No idea why he was being so aggressive, we weren't even in his way, not that he should be on the pavement anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,000Posts Today

7,971Users online

Martin's Twitter