Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,580Posts
    • 28,547Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 82
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 24,223 Posts
    • 63,265 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I've just been irritated by the pretensious comments on the Guardian cryptic crossword.

I hope these poseurs, for whom cryptic crosswords as so easy, are doing important jobs which benefit us all!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 27th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 12,375 Posts
    • 16,718 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Moss Man

Originally posted by Susie Richards
    It's Jeremy Corbyn after he stands down from the Labour party
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 27,998 Posts
    • 15,261 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    As others have alluded to, it's more the fact retailers don't cater to those outside what they consider to be a 'normal' size range generally.

I have a 36" inside leg which massively limits the range of trousers I can buy, supermarket brands for instance are a dead loss. A bigger problem is long sleeved shirts, I invariably have to buy shirts which are too big around the chest if I want sleeves that cover my wrist.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Would you say the height you are is uncommon? I wouldn’t say my height is uncommon. Being over weight is not uncommon anymore either.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 27,998 Posts
    • 15,261 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Women who have Freddy Krueger fingernails. why do they do it? It does not look good, it certainly does not make them more attractive, I always stay away from them, dont want my parts snagged.

A webpage freezing in the middle of a transaction.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 27th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 36,679 Posts
    • 135,659 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Women who have Freddy Krueger fingernails. why do they do it? It does not look good, it certainly does not make them more attractive, I always stay away from them, dont want my parts snagged.

A webpage freezing in the middle of a transaction.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    What makes you think that their nails would be going anywhere near your ahem parts?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 27th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 36,679 Posts
    • 135,659 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I've just been irritated by the pretensious comments on the Guardian cryptic crossword.

I hope these poseurs, for whom cryptic crosswords as so easy, are doing important jobs which benefit us all!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    What were they saying? Or do you have a link?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 27,998 Posts
    • 15,261 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    What makes you think that their nails would be going anywhere near your ahem parts?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Indeed, I am not making any arrogant assumption of irresistibility. Just pointing out it puts me off like smoking does.
    • DoubleDoors
    • By DoubleDoors 27th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    DoubleDoors
    Those godawful false eyebrows that look like caterpillars are even worse. I mean seriously, who comes up with these trends and why oh why do women all have to copy one another.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 27,998 Posts
    • 15,261 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Those godawful false eyebrows that look like caterpillars are even worse. I mean seriously, who comes up with these trends and why oh why do women all have to copy one another.
    Originally posted by DoubleDoors
    False eyelashes, why ruin a lovely pair of eyes.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 24,223 Posts
    • 63,265 Thanks
    pollypenny
    What were they saying? Or do you have a link?
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Quite patronising,,really. A gentle little exercise.

I must be thick, as I find cryptic crosswords challenging: that's actually the point of them, eh?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 27th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Would you say the height you are is uncommon? I wouldn’t say my height is uncommon. Being over weight is not uncommon anymore either.
    I'm 6' 3", tall but not massively so, there are plenty of men taller than me.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 27th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 36,679 Posts
    • 135,659 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Quite patronising,,really. A gentle little exercise.

I must be thick, as I find cryptic crosswords challenging: that's actually the point of them, eh?
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    That's true.

They do vary in difficulty, though.

Having said that, some of the cleverest clues might not be too dreadfully difficult, but are so cleverly put together that they make you smile!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 28th Sep 17, 2:03 AM
    • 27,998 Posts
    • 15,261 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I'm 6' 3", tall but not massively so, there are plenty of men taller than me.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Very tall people no doubt struggle also. Your height is not uncommon. I am surprised if you struggle to find trousers.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 28th Sep 17, 2:41 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Very tall people no doubt struggle also. Your height is not uncommon. I am surprised if you struggle to find trousers.
    To be fair I am unusually lanky for my height, supposedly the average person should have an inside leg measurement of 45% of their total height, in my case that would give me a 34" leg. Even that would rule out a lot of trousers though, a 'long' leg length on trousers is usually 33".
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 28-09-2017 at 2:43 AM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 28th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 7,771 Posts
    • 13,990 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My council.

Yesterday it was bin collection day. The bin area wasn't emptied. Rang the council yesterday and said they will get back to me. Nobody rang.

This morning, I rang again. Reason for non collection? Unable to open door with code. The code hasn't changed for about a year. The customer service assistant quoted me the old code. I gave her the correct code. I know it's the right one as part of the code has my door number. The bin men did empty the bin area at lunchtime

My question is why did the council's record change to the previous code?
    • libra10
    • By libra10 28th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 10,288 Posts
    • 204,933 Thanks
    libra10
    Yesterday my husband spent ages fitting a new cleaner brush head to our Dyson. The first time he did it, the vacuum cleaner failed to work.

He realised where he had gone wrong, removed the part he had fitted, and replaced correctly! The Dyson worked perfectly!

This morning we found a spring on the carpet where he had been repairing the cleaner, and he can't think where it could have come from.

Does he take the machine apart (again!) to find out where it belongs, or stuff in a drawer and forget about it?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 28th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 52,510 Posts
    • 145,482 Thanks
    colinw
    Virgin Media pop up stall thing in the City centre, they have big flags the lot but what can you get off them? Diddley squat....when you see stalls and flags you usually can expect a mini drink or some trial snack but all they offer is ridiculous claims about their broadband....
    • As Poor As A Church Mouse
    • By As Poor As A Church Mouse 28th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    As Poor As A Church Mouse
    I've got no cheese.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 28th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    avogadro
    I've got no cheese.
    Originally posted by As Poor As A Church Mouse
    Did someone move it?

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 28th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 36,679 Posts
    • 135,659 Thanks
    Pyxis
    My council.

Yesterday it was bin collection day. The bin area wasn't emptied. Rang the council yesterday and said they will get back to me. Nobody rang.

This morning, I rang again. Reason for non collection? Unable to open door with code. The code hasn't changed for about a year. The customer service assistant quoted me the old code. I gave her the correct code. I know it's the right one as part of the code has my door number. The bin men did empty the bin area at lunchtime

My question is why did the council's record change to the previous code?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Perhaps they binned the right code.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter