Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,637Posts
    • 28,769Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 396
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Oct 18, 5:04 PM
    • 8,436 Posts
    • 26,602 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I couldn't set the chap on fire properly without a longboat. Trust me, even in death he will grumble, & failure to get the little historical details right & I'll never know a minutes peace.
    Honestly, watch a war film with him - it'll be less than 3 minutes before he's muttering about some detail being inaccurate. Even Bad Lads Army had him muttering that they must have had some uniforms custom made as the modern youth is taller etc... And Star Wars is no escape - those storm trooper weapons "just Sterlings with a bit of nonsense round the muzzle"

So, flatpack Viking longboat as a minimum. I wonder if the Roskilde museum shop do reproductions? [Nope]

I may have to join Twitter so I can plead with IKEA that they've missed a market niche. Flat pack coffins etc.. I do them an injustice - there's something already out there. I wonder if the British Museum would lend me their flatpack just for a quick singeing on an asbestos blanket....
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 15-10-2018 at 5:09 PM.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 13,231 Posts
    • 24,617 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Also also, people who ask you what you're doing when it's blatantly obvious what you're doing, meaning you then have to stop what you're doing to explain what you're doing.
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals
    Sunny, what is it that you're doing? You're not in the process of moving by any chance are you?

"Elegant flytipping" made me

Try Ikea. They have flatpack everything else, so I don't see why they shouldn't have flatpack funerary arrangements. Or buy yourself something you fancy and just stick the offending late husband in the cardboard box.
    Or as Willie Nelson said ... "Roll me up and smoke me when I die ...."

A long time ago I had a thread about 'arrangements'.
    I can remember specifying a marching band, horse drawn cortege, dancing girls. The whole 'waste the inheritance' milarkey. But no alcohol ...
    Last edited by Sleazy; 15-10-2018 at 5:38 PM.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Oct 18, 6:35 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,506 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I get a mental block on stuff if I leave it, I always have done, way back to when I started work, it is like a mental block I don't want to go back to, same with books, if I stop reading one I have a thing that stops me going back to it, hence why I have been trying to read the same book since 2009
    Originally posted by colinw
    If you're like me, one of two things happens...

Either:

The thing to be done becomes invisible, so if you don't 'see' it, it isn't there to be done, is it?

Or:

It 'grows and grows and grows' (in my head) in size/difficulty/amount of energy needed to do it, and so becomes insurmountable and can't even be started.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,506 Thanks
    Pyxis

My new bin might take 3 months to be delivered. In the meantime, I'm allowed to put out a certain number of black bags. Except I'm signed up for assisted collection because I can't reliably go outside and they won't move black bags (presumably a hygiene or H&S thing, I don't know). Better not order that Viking longship flatpack yet, I'm going to need room for three months' worth of black bags.
    Tthis might get be the occasion to ask for help from either grumpy an or hammerman?
    Help by taking the black bags out for you?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Oct 18, 6:43 PM
    • 54,190 Posts
    • 149,912 Thanks
    colinw
    If you're like me, one of two things happens...

Either:

The thing to be done becomes invisible, so if you don't 'see' it, it isn't there to be done, is it?

Or:

It 'grows and grows and grows' (in my head) in size/difficulty/amount of energy needed to do it, and so becomes insurmountable and can't even be started.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    More the second case, I just block it in my head, latest one is flights for next year, checked them a few weeks ago and now I don’t want to check them again in case they have gone up which they will have, but that thinking applies to lots of things
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,506 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The problem with going out is linked to running into people, so I can't do that one. I'm just about coping with delivery folk at the moment, but only because I can do that without actually crossing the threshold.

I've emailed the Council again to see if they can resolve it. They can't agree that I need help but still expect me to do the thing I need help doing.
    You express yourself in words really well, and you've explained to us why you need help. Could you put a note through a couple of doors explaining the situation, just as you have explained it to us?

You'd lose nothing, and might gain some sympathetic allies.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Oct 18, 7:26 PM
    • 13,231 Posts
    • 24,617 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Tthis might get be the occasion to ask for help from either grumpy an or hammerman?
    Help by taking the black bags out for you?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I'm not bad with an axe ...
    I could knock on your neighbour's door wearing my horse's head and carrying my chopper ....
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,506 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm not bad with an axe ...
    I could knock on your neighbour's door wearing my horse's head and carrying my chopper ....
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Wot, you mean you left your matches somewhere?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Oct 18, 7:30 PM
    • 13,231 Posts
    • 24,617 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I had one of those yesterday too, a family bereavement apparently.

Luckily it's not something I need urgently.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    The item or the bereavement?
    Nabob Of None
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Oct 18, 8:09 PM
    • 54,190 Posts
    • 149,912 Thanks
    colinw
    I wish I could, but my brain won't allow it. I'll end up obsessing over what they might think of me, thinking they'll think I'm awful for asking when they've got their own stuff to deal with.

I can ask the Council because they're paid to help me and if I ever sort out a proper helper I can ask them, but I can't ask random folk.
    I hope they have not found this in your flat

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture-exploration/2018/10/viking-ship-discovered-norway-archaeology/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=facebook::cmp=edito rial::add=fb20181015culture-vikingshipgrave::rid=&sf200054897=1
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Oct 18, 8:09 PM
    • 13,231 Posts
    • 24,617 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I wish I could, but my brain won't allow it. I'll end up obsessing over what they might think of me, thinking they'll think I'm awful for asking when they've got their own stuff to deal with.

I can ask the Council because they're paid to help me and if I ever sort out a proper helper I can ask them, but I can't ask random folk.
    Sunny, people 'tick' differently.
    I'm very strange - I have 'issues'.
    We joke here, but nevertheless still have empathy for you. The 'joking' helps me.

Do the best you can ....
    Nabob Of None
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th Oct 18, 9:06 PM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Found out the reason for the noise upstairs, neighbour has "family" staying for 10 days, so by her own admission (and I assume more than she says) 4 adults and 4 kids in a 2 bedroom property who wake at 8am every day and parents go to bed at midnight!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 13,231 Posts
    • 24,617 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Neighbour (the other side) who generally parks his works van so I can't see when I come out of the drive to take Mrs. to work in the morning. The neighbours the other side have mentioned it too.

he has a £30k car parked on his drive, bought a year ago which he has never driven, and another £30k car outside his house bought 18 months ago, which I have seen him drive 2-3 times. Plus his work van. And he goes to Sainsbury's on the bus.

Why?
    Nabob Of None
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Oct 18, 11:30 PM
    • 54,190 Posts
    • 149,912 Thanks
    colinw
    Me....prevaricating...I have two jobs to do online, one will take about 30 minutes and the other maybe 1 hour, been putting them off for days.....oh and now the Sun has come out I should go do the back windows!
    Finally one of the two done
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Oct 18, 7:18 AM
    • 15,315 Posts
    • 21,189 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Finally one of the two done
    I fInally got around to cancelling my Sky subscription. Oddly enough, exactly 18 years to the day since I started it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Oct 18, 8:16 AM
    • 54,190 Posts
    • 149,912 Thanks
    colinw
    I fInally got around to cancelling my Sky subscription. Oddly enough, exactly 18 years to the day since I started it.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Well done that man all I had to do last night was right a bloody email not sure why these things take me so long
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 25,322 Posts
    • 66,402 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The A-Z plague has been replaced with a 'What is the most famous X that you've never seen?'
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 54,190 Posts
    • 149,912 Thanks
    colinw
    The A-Z plague has been replaced with a 'What is the most famous X that you've never seen?'
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Yes those ones are annoying thing is I am trying to not complain to much as I am not sure if this is one the usual posters who just posts this rubbish or is it someone just trying to wind people up and get people to be annoyed.....
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 8,436 Posts
    • 26,602 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I feel like I'm supposed to buy a throw to extend the life of my couch, but I'm also worried that it'll make my couch look like it's haunting my living room.
    Nah - get a collection of furry throws in different colours, two big "eyes" and have a large cooperative multi-coloured pet, that doesn't need a walk, a vet or a litter tray... Hide the feet in charity shop slippers (or trainers or whatever no longer loved footwear you can tolerate) and let any visitors boggle?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Oct 18, 10:04 AM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,506 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Yes those ones are annoying thing is I am trying to not complain to much as I am not sure if this is one the usual posters who just posts this rubbish or is it someone just trying to wind people up and get people to be annoyed.....
    Of course, my 'Which Blue Peter presenter are you?' thread is in a different category altogether.
    I promise I won't start threads on 'Which newsreader are you?', 'Which historical person are you?', 'Which cake are you?', etc. etc.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,582Posts Today

7,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin