Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,637Posts
    • 28,769Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 355
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Not just joggers, the biggest culprits round here are the 'phone walkers' they have their phones up to their nose and scarcely aware of what the dog is up to
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

Keep forgetting to mention when I was on holiday I saw the strangest thing, a guy one hand holding smartphone which he couldn't keep eyes off, other hand on pram but he was standing on one of those "hoverboards" speeding down pavement.

The situation could of easily become dangerous!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,287 Posts
    • 17,767 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    There are only TWO genders.
    I do a lot of online surveys and the list of options when it comes to gender is getting ridiculous, there are only 2, there has only ever been 2 and there will only ever be 2 no matter what some people want to call themselves.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.8
    Total so far - 3886.2
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Why do people misuse the word 'fact'. An opinion is not fact.
    Originally posted by walesrob
    As I said a while ago when this subject came up on another thread:

the word 'FACT' added to the end of a statement performs a very useful function. It's shorthand for 'this is my opinion but I'm clearly a moron so please treat it with the contempt it deserves'.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Aug 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 11,793 Thanks
    NBLondon
    There are only TWO genders.
    I do a lot of online surveys and the list of options when it comes to gender is getting ridiculous, there are only 2, there has only ever been 2 and there will only ever be 2 no matter what some people want to call themselves.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Can you link us to an example? I have seen cases of "Male/Female/Prefer Not to Say" but never more than that.

Of course, what irritates me is that people don't know (accept) the difference between sex (biology) and gender (part biology, part culture). Then the identity politics brigade decide to introduce lots of other factors (sexuality is usually the first to be linked) and call these "genders" as well when they are really "self-identities".

I'd say that there are 3 sexes - male, female, intersex and 4 genders - masculine, feminine, non-binary(fixed), non-binary(fluid). But as far as online surveys are concerned "Prefer Not to Say" should always be an option.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.97 $4.28 6.64 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.91 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 15th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 14,754 Posts
    • 57,191 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Both me and Bails are getting a bit porky so I decided to increase the evening dog walk by 10 minutes.

10 minutes into the walk my right ankle gave up the ghost and I've had to hobble round only putting weight on the heel.

Obviously I've done something to it, it's been niggling for a couple of days, but sods law that it picks tonight to completely give way
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th Aug 18, 6:19 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Can you link us to an example? I have seen cases of "Male/Female/Prefer Not to Say" but never more than that.

Of course, what irritates me is that people don't know (accept) the difference between sex (biology) and gender (part biology, part culture). Then the identity politics brigade decide to introduce lots of other factors (sexuality is usually the first to be linked) and call these "genders" as well when they are really "self-identities".

I'd say that there are 3 sexes - male, female, intersex and 4 genders - masculine, feminine, non-binary(fixed), non-binary(fluid). But as far as online surveys are concerned "Prefer Not to Say" should always be an option.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    I saw it on my college applications, man (including trans man) woman (including trans woman)

Then questions like are you the same gender you were "assigned" at birth and at least half a dozen variations on each gender such as are you (cis) male (cis) female etc.

I admit and have been told off for it in the past on the inconsistency of what makes someone say female as that was what confused me, trans women tend to end up more "feminine" i.e nails, make up, long hair, clothing aimed at females like dresses and skirts but if I say I am attracted to feminine women I am told I am stereotyping women as women don't have to have long hair, long nails, wear feminine clothes etc.

So what does make a woman a woman if its not their clothing and apperance? (and yes I am aware of body parts)

The idea of sexes and genders being different is interesting way of looking at it, to bring in personal experience my bi male friends tend to like boyish women and feminine men which I admit is confusing too.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 16th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 11,793 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I saw it on my college applications, man (including trans man) woman (including trans woman)

Then questions like are you the same gender you were "assigned" at birth and at least half a dozen variations on each gender such as are you (cis) male (cis) female etc.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Yep - I can see it being brought in there - and in employment - where organisations are covering their posteriors against accusations of discrimination.

So what does make a woman a woman if its not their clothing and apperance? (and yes I am aware of body parts)
    That's one for Discussion Time really isn't it? But maybe a high-risk subject at the moment.

The idea of sexes and genders being different is interesting way of looking at it, to bring in personal experience my bi male friends tend to like boyish women and feminine men which I admit is confusing too.
    That's sort of consistent... If you take gender as a spectrum between 100% masculine and 100% feminine then it seems reasonable for a given person to be attracted to those who are in the 60% to 60% range irrespective of the genitalia involved. But not universal as my one bi male friend had quite different tastes in male and female partners. He's on the camp side himself - which may also be a factor.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.97 $4.28 6.64 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.91 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 8,441 Posts
    • 26,623 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    A level results can be a bit hairraising, so I suggested (by email, from work) the chaps go en famille.

They didn't. Lad hurtled off solo, and what with the running & the overheating & the stress, triggered a seizure. Lovely folks picked him up & got him an ambulance to take him home (must try to figure how to advertise we have a jacket - to which generous angel do we return it?).
    After a couple of emails, I called in to see how recovery going & got told "men can handle exam results".

I rather wonder if that rates as one of the "minor altercations of a kind to be expected in a marriage"?
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 16th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    Ive suddenly become itchy all over
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 39,982 Posts
    • 147,547 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Ive suddenly become itchy all over
    Originally posted by Exile_geordie
    That's made me just start to feel itchy.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 16th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    That's made me just start to feel itchy.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    i NEED A BACK SCRATCHER
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 39,982 Posts
    • 147,547 Thanks
    Pyxis
    i NEED A BACK SCRATCHER
    I'VE GOT ONE!

Mind you, many years ago, I had a much better one. It was brilliant. Then during one of my several moves, I had a radical clear-out and gave it away.
    Have regretted it ever since, as have never found one as good.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 39,982 Posts
    • 147,547 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I've run out of onions.

(And I was only in Sainsbury's yesterday, and didn't think to get any).

And now there's a a shortage of British onions.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 4,815 Posts
    • 15,802 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I've run out of onions.

(And I was only in Sainsbury's yesterday, and didn't think to get any).

And now there's a a shortage of British onions.
    Shortage of British onions!
    They're a staple part of our diet here they are!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Aug 18, 8:17 PM
    • 39,982 Posts
    • 147,547 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Shortage of British onions!
    They're a staple part of our diet here they are!
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    There'll soon be a black market in illicit onions!

"That white powder, Offisher? That's onion powder! It has a much higher street value than that other white stuff!"
    Last edited by Pyxis; 16-08-2018 at 8:19 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 13,279 Posts
    • 24,722 Thanks
    Sleazy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45209587
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 13,279 Posts
    • 24,722 Thanks
    Sleazy
    i NEED A BACK SCRATCHER
    I'VE GOT ONE!

Mine doesn't come back from visiting my Outlaws until next week.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 17th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 12,748 Posts
    • 17,374 Thanks
    MothballsWallet

I admit and have been told off for it in the past on the inconsistency of what makes someone say female as that was what confused me, trans women tend to end up more "feminine" i.e nails, make up, long hair, clothing aimed at females like dresses and skirts but if I say I am attracted to feminine women I am told I am stereotyping women as women don't have to have long hair, long nails, wear feminine clothes etc.

Originally posted by dekaspace
    Calling someone "cis male" or "cis female" - it's really getting on my nerves now, can these eejits actually use real words or are their nano-neurons fully occupied trying to follow dumb reality TV or celebrities?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 17th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 12,748 Posts
    • 17,374 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    As I said a while ago when this subject came up on another thread:

the word 'FACT' added to the end of a statement performs a very useful function. It's shorthand for 'this is my opinion but I'm clearly a moron so please treat it with the contempt it deserves'.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    And it also helped identify threads started by "patel72" (or whatever his username was) - the rich London landlord who seemed to pay far less tax than he should, if you believed his stories that is
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 18th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    This: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45225045

Essentially a woman who's whining to the press because her local council are correctly enforcing the law.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

2,122Users online

Martin's Twitter