Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,637Posts
    • 28,767Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 353
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 39,965 Posts
    • 147,459 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I agree with this..I never smoke in public eating areas. If I want to smoke in that situation, I usually scurry off round the back of the Cafe and have a quick puff by the Bins.

Ok, It takes some of the romance out of enjoying an Al fresco Cappucinno with your loved one..But it's a small sacrifice I am prepared to make in order that others may enjoy their Coffee and Danish in a smoke free environment..I'm good like that.
    Originally posted by tommix
    But then, you see, Tommix, you are a gentleman.

(Usually! )

(Not counting some DT threads.! )
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • tommix
    • By tommix 12th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 37,671 Posts
    • 147,980 Thanks
    tommix
    But then, you see, Tommix, you are a gentleman.

(Usually! )

(Not counting some DT threads.! )
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    True Pyx I am a Gentleman..

Also true about DT..

Then again if you choose to enter the 'Lions Den' then its probably a good Idea to become a Lion.

Last edited by tommix; 12-08-2018 at 3:07 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 39,965 Posts
    • 147,459 Thanks
    Pyxis
    True Pyx I am a Gentleman..

Also true about DT..

Then again if you choose to enter the 'Lions Den' then its probably a good Idea to become a Lion.
    Originally posted by tommix

Or you could be Androcles?

(Your image thing on your post has gone beresk).
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 28,253 Posts
    • 15,558 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Thanks. I did look at the Sony phones but they weren't that small and had nasty sharp corners that would dig in when in my pocket.
    They also had fake displays so I couldn't really judge what I was buying.

I'm on 3 PAYG and they have no restrictions on 4G. I'm really pleased with them as we travel abroad fairly frequently and their feel at home rates are are excellent.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    They are still bigger than what phones used to be but are smaller than regular models of most brands. Assuming you saw the compact versions. Mine doesnt have sharp corners and doesnt dig in. I get 4 or 5 days out of the charge now as well which is the best i have had on a modern phone. Of course it will depend on how heavy a user you are and i do turn mine off overnight.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 12th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    • 14,751 Posts
    • 57,156 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Has this turned into yet another smokers bashing thread?

We get it, you don't like it. You don't have to keep banging on and on about it.

Speaking as a smoker I don't like the smell of overwhelming perfumes and deos, or garlic or currys or a 101 other smelly things non smokers may partake of, but I don't keep moaning about it at every single opportunity
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 15,308 Posts
    • 21,173 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    They are still bigger than what phones used to be but are smaller than regular models of most brands. Assuming you saw the compact versions. Mine doesnt have sharp corners and doesnt dig in. I get 4 or 5 days out of the charge now as well which is the best i have had on a modern phone. Of course it will depend on how heavy a user you are and i do turn mine off overnight.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Ta. Just Googled the Sony compact phones and it isn't what I was shown. I might have to have another look as the iPhone is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I'm what you might call a light phone user. A £10 top up can last me a year. Another reason splashing out on the iPhone might be a waste. My wife gets frustrated as I often forget to carry it at all so anything big and bulky that makes me even less likely to carry it is probably not a good idea.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 7,973 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The sudden onslaught of customers coming in 20 mins before closing on Sundays - live in England. Why do they do this? I doubt they have been at work and more likely to sit on their backsides all day and think at 3:25pm "Oh dear I am almost out of washing up liquid, got one tin of dog food left etc" then drive to my work and drift about thinking they haven't got a care in the world.

I think majority of people that do the above haven't worked in retail and wouldn't be able to cope if have to work in one,
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 28,253 Posts
    • 15,558 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Ta. Just Googled the Sony compact phones and it isn't what I was shown. I might have to have another look as the iPhone is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I'm what you might call a light phone user. A £10 top up can last me a year. Another reason splashing out on the iPhone might be a waste. My wife gets frustrated as I often forget to carry it at all so anything big and bulky that makes me even less likely to carry it is probably not a good idea.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I last credit ages also. It really depends what you will use it for. Will you use apps, will you use the net, will you watch youtube, will you take photos, how much storage do you need etc. If you basically just want a phone for calls and texts and nothing else then they do still make old style phones.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Aug 18, 10:59 PM
    • 15,308 Posts
    • 21,173 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I need a smartphone. Although I don't make many calls, I was actually an early adopter of smartphones. I've had one since 2002.

The Xperia X5 Compact looks like it might suit me. It's old (for a phone) but does what I need it to do.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 3,377 Thanks
    coffeehound
    One thing that can be very annoying is when, on a nice warm day, you sit in the outdoor bit of a cafè, order lunch, lunch comes, you start eating it, and then someone on the next table to you lights up a cigarette, and you are downwind of it.

Now, I know that technically it's outside, and they are technically allowed to smoke, but in my view, outside eating areas should be subject to the same rules. After all, if you can smell it, then you are breathing it in, and a lot of outside areas have canopies or awnings which contain the smoke to some extent.
    Yeah it's an unfortunate consequence of the indoor smoking ban that the outdoor areas have automatically turned into 'the smoking area' innit.

Going off on a tangent, I stopped smoking about 10 years ago but this summer have been seriously tempted to restart; something about the smell of smoke outdoors in sunny weather <shrug>
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 7,973 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The smoking ban law should include smoking within a certain distance from doors. At work, we have automatic doors which are under a overhang. When it rains, sometimes get one or two people smoking by the entrance. Sometimes with the wind direction and where the smoker is standing, the smoke gently wafts into the shop. A manager or supervisor politely asks the smoker to smoke away from the door, only for them to get abuse.

Then I have walked past offices with about a good dozen hovering by the entrance all smoking and it looks pathetic
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 15,308 Posts
    • 21,173 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I must admit that although a non-smoker, I don't actually mind the smell of tobacco smoke. I prefer the smell of pipe or cigar smoke to most cigarettes.

Mrs G doesn't like it at all though.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 13th Aug 18, 8:27 AM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The sudden onslaught of customers coming in 20 mins before closing on Sundays - live in England. Why do they do this? I doubt they have been at work and more likely to sit on their backsides all day and think at 3:25pm "Oh dear I am almost out of washing up liquid, got one tin of dog food left etc" then drive to my work and drift about thinking they haven't got a care in the world.

I think majority of people that do the above haven't worked in retail and wouldn't be able to cope if have to work in one,
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I get that it bothers you but the doors are open and folk can come in so not much that you can do about it. I have done late shopping in the past (when I was working) and I seem to remember that there was a countdown over the tanoy telling customers in the store that the tills would be closing in … minutes and if they did hang about the shop floor too long, the till would close and they would not get their trollyfull scanned.

I now have a habit of doing my shopping as soon as the doors open at 8am and it is a standing joke between the staff and myself that they would get a lot more work done if it wasn't for the customers coming through the doors as soon as they were open
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 13th Aug 18, 8:48 AM
    • 14,751 Posts
    • 57,156 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Still bashing the smokers then?

Jeeeeez..........
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 15,308 Posts
    • 21,173 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I hummed and hawed over whether to work at home or go in today. Decided to go in and now being severely irritated by somebody using a two-stroke strimmer under my office window.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 39,965 Posts
    • 147,459 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Still bashing the smokers then?

Jeeeeez..........
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    ((((((((((Gill)))))))))))))

I'm sure you are a very considerate smoker, Gill.

Although they are a dying breed, (), some smokers aren't, you see.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 13,208 Posts
    • 24,555 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Feeling hungrier after eating than before.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 39,965 Posts
    • 147,459 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Feeling hungrier after eating than before.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    It's the lag 'twixt stomach and brain.

Studies have shown that if you wait 20mminutes, the hungry feeling will go away.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 13,208 Posts
    • 24,555 Thanks
    Sleazy
    It's the lag 'twixt stomach and brain.

Studies have shown that if you wait 20mminutes, the hungry feeling will go away.
    It did ...
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 39,965 Posts
    • 147,459 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It did ...
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Them researchers woz right!

Is being on your own making you feel down?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

7,633Users online

Martin's Twitter