Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,600Posts
    • 28,588Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 351
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 6th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 14,286 Posts
    • 55,607 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Too early for wasps. They tend to come out in September.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    So how come I got stung a couple of months ago and had to destroy 3 nests?

I think you're thinking of Craneflies!
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I had one in my bathroom on Sunday evening - I chased it away with Lidl W5 air freshener

Well, it looked like a wasp, and I didn't want to get close enough to be sure in case it stung me since wasps are pure evil and I've never been stung by a wasp, bee or hornet so I don't know if I'm allergic to their venom.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    • 37,531 Posts
    • 138,741 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I had one in my bathroom on Sunday evening - I chased it away with Lidl W5 air freshener

Well, it looked like a wasp, and I didn't want to get close enough to be sure in case it stung me since wasps are pure evil and I've never been stung by a wasp, bee or hornet so I don't know if I'm allergic to their venom.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    I believe it's not the first sting you need to worry about, but any subsequent one.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    When I was away had a phone call from a employer desperate to get me in for interview multiple times saying if successful I start Monday (today) I was unable to attend but they gave me special treatment to have a interview today saying if sucessful start Tuesday but the normal interviewer wasn't in so it will be held by team leaders.

Had the interview was promised to be contacted shortly no contact has been made! I want a early night and if I get a call now means its a 8am start so have to leave house at 7am so very short notice!

Added on top got a interview for another job my hearts set on Wednesday so if I get this job I can't go for this much better job, nor see my new social worker on Thursday, nor start college in 2 weeks (the job Wednesday is part time which I want so can attend college and its 5 minutes walk from college campus)

So if I don't hear tonight I will go to bed and not know about preparing my my Wednesday interview.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 19,635 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Good luck for the one you want!
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Aug 18, 11:26 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 19,635 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    So how come I got stung a couple of months ago and had to destroy 3 nests?

I think you're thinking of Craneflies!
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    I think your wasps just didn't get the memo. I haven't seen a single wasp yet.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 7th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    Zinco
    I missed a step and fell down the rest of the stairs.

I'm all aches and pains and no doubt have a fair few bruises on their way
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 7,814 Posts
    • 14,058 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Eye surgery postponed due to cornea too thin to have procedure done in treatment room. Needs to be done in the theatre. Hospital staff are saying they will start getting something sorted this afternoon or tomorrow for a rescheduled date. Need something soon. I!!!8217;m an emotional wreck. If not rescheduled before a certain date then it!!!8217;s needs to be in October as on holiday then end of September, I have a special day out and can!!!8217;t miss it.

Then work have cover already in place for my absence. If too many are in there isn!!!8217;t enough work
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 7th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 11,076 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I think your wasps just didn't get the memo. I haven't seen a single wasp yet.
    Had one around me when I was eating a pear earlier.
    Hateful things!

Then I went to put the car away, and noticed that there was a triangular paint mark on the drivers side door handle. Obviously somebody parked next flinging their car door open.
    Don't know when it happened but recent.
    Supermarket car park almost 100%
    On closer look it was just paint, and it wiped off with a wet wipe.
    So no real harm done, but why can't they open their doors carefully?
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 37,531 Posts
    • 138,741 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I missed a step and fell down the rest of the stairs.

I'm all aches and pains and no doubt have a fair few bruises on their way
    Originally posted by Zinco
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear that.

It's a shock, falling.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Didn't get the job, told I wasn't chatty enough thats strange as normally I am told the opposite in everyday life and from past interviews I only gave a short answer for one question rest I thought I talked too much!

Even the person who offered the interview was surprised but said she went by the person who interviewed me's notes.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I believe it's not the first sting you need to worry about, but any subsequent one.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I don't want to be stung at all to find out if I'm allergic

At least I don't do what Mrs MbW does when she sees one of these yellow and black insect terrors - she flails her arms around, which I was told is more likely to anger them.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 7th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 11,076 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I don't want to be stung at all to find out if I'm allergic

At least I don't do what Mrs MbW does when she sees one of these yellow and black insect terrors - she flails her arms around, which I was told is more likely to anger them.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    There's some evidence that like dogs they can smell adrenaline, and it makes them more aggressive, if you're agitated. I don't like wasps, they seem to sting for the sake of it, but if you keep calm and simply waft them away if they get too nosy, they seem more likely to go off doing wasp stuff.
    'Tain't worth worrying about too much though as you're bound to get stung sooner or later.
    The thing I watch is not picking them up on food or drink. That can be dangerous.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Aug 18, 7:38 PM
    • 37,531 Posts
    • 138,741 Thanks
    Pyxis
    There's some evidence that like dogs they can smell adrenaline, and it makes them more aggressive, if you're agitated. I don't like wasps, they seem to sting for the sake of it, but if you keep calm and simply waft them away if they get too nosy, they seem more likely to go off doing wasp stuff.
    'Tain't worth worrying about too much though as you're bound to get stung sooner or later.
    The thing I watch is not picking them up on food or drink. That can be dangerous.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    Yes. I've been stung twice in my life, and yes, it hurts, but it's not all that dreadful.
    I had far, far more pain when I hit my thumb with a hammer.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 7th Aug 18, 7:44 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 11,076 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Yes. I've been stung twice in my life, and yes, it hurts, but it's not all that dreadful.
    I had far, far more pain when I hit my thumb with a hammer.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Some of the varieties of nettle around here are actually nearly as bad! Very strong sting.

One of the worst pains I can remember was having my thumb trapped in a steel framed mesh door. No permanent damage, but a black nail, and horrible waves of pain for ages after.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 19,635 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I've been stung twice by wasps. It isn't that bad.

Unlike horse flies, I find they tend to leave you alone if you ignore them.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 7,814 Posts
    • 14,058 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Regarding wasps. In September 1994, there were loads of wasps about. One of the girls in my class, flapped about and ran around the classroom due to a wasp. whilst the teacher was temporarily out of the class. I sat there not moving a muscle and I was the one that got stung just above the elbow. Innocent people can be targeted.
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 7th Aug 18, 9:57 PM
    • 8,406 Posts
    • 34,000 Thanks
    Flick216
    I beg to differ! We we swarmed over the weekend! And I got stung. forgot how much it hurt as well Still hurts and itches now!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 19,635 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I beg to differ! We we swarmed over the weekend! And I got stung. forgot how much it hurt as well Still hurts and itches now!
    Originally posted by Flick216
    I still haven't seen any.

We do have massive hornet that lives in a gap above the boiler room window lintel. We call him Harry.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 7th Aug 18, 11:51 PM
    • 10,849 Posts
    • 19,742 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Having Inconsiderate, unthankful and selfish neighbours.
    Wait until they ask me for a favour next time (because they will).

Ultimus Romanorum
    Descendit Sed Ex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin