Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,617Posts
    • 28,685Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 252
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 38,745 Posts
    • 143,281 Thanks
    Pyxis
    What are we like and why do we bother? Bloody dogs. The more I hear about yours the more I think he's related to Bailie somewhere down the line
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    I know you've said you tried a halti-lead, I think, but the pulling was why I turned to one with my collies. It took them a while to get used to it, though, but once they did, it was so much better.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 10th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 14,397 Posts
    • 55,988 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I know you've said you tried a halti-lead, I think, but the pulling was why I turned to one with my collies. It took them a while to get used to it, though, but once they did, it was so much better.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Normally, when on a proper walk, I use a head collar, not a Halti (because she keeps trying to pull it off her face and gets her legs caught through it) but a thing called a Canny Collar which isn't quite as effective as a Halti but keeps it all down to a dull roar.

But at lunchtime we don't bother with it because it's just a quick wee on the grass out the front. Was just unfortunate that Brodie was walking past and the grass was waterlogged, so I sort of aquaplaned
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 13,178 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Sorry to hear you've been hurt joansgirl.
    Seriously, I'm big and strong, but I wouldn't have a dog of any sort that pulled.
    Training is the answer but it takes patience.
    https://www.vetbabble.com/dogs/training-and-behavior/how-to-stop-dog-pulling-lead/

Don't let the dog become the "alpha", do what it wants to, and train you. They will without you realising it!
    It's important that they dog realises that it's position is below the humans in your "pack"
    Our last one was a large, and very "dominant" GSD male.
    He was a lovely boy. Would walk to heel without a lead even with distractions. . .Well most of the time anyway.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 38,745 Posts
    • 143,281 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Normally, when on a proper walk, I use a head collar, not a Halti (because she keeps trying to pull it off her face and gets her legs caught through it) but a thing called a Canny Collar which isn't quite as effective as a Halti but keeps it all down to a dull roar.

:
    I looked up Canny collar. Something to remember when I next get a dog.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Waited for several buses today - six in total.
    Out of the six, five didn't come and I had to wait for the next one
    This is a fairly regular occurrence, the excuses being offered by the bus company are invariably:
    Bus broke down;
    Short of buses;
    Short of drivers;
    Traffic.

Well the buses break down because our local depot gets all the cast-offs from other places, and they've been replaced there because they keep breaking down. It isn't rocket science!
    Driver shortage? Try recruiting more, or use an agency ...
    Traffic? Also happens when there's very few vehicles around ....

My message to them - Don't advertise a service that you clearly cannot operate reliably. This is a daily occurrence, but today was probably the worst in a while.

I feel better now ..

I'd rather be eccentric than egocentric

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    Pearls Of Wisdom Dispensed Freely
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 10th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 14,397 Posts
    • 55,988 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Because my ribs hurt so much I have to bend over to cough to stop the pain. I keep getting funny looks from people when I'm walking Bailie because I keep stopping and appear to them to be doubled over in pain
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 38,745 Posts
    • 143,281 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Because my ribs hurt so much I have to bend over to cough to stop the pain. I keep getting funny looks from people when I'm walking Bailie because I keep stopping and appear to them to be doubled over in pain
    I'm worried about you, Gill.
    I do wish you'd go to A&E for a check.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 10th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 14,397 Posts
    • 55,988 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I'm worried about you, Gill.
    I do wish you'd go to A&E for a check.
    Stop worrying, I'm fine, just it's sore when I cough or sneeze or....strain so I need to bend over when i do any of those things which stops me ribs hurting.

I spoke to my own GP in passing today, told him what had happened and he said as long as I can breathe, no sharp pains and no coughing up blood it's all ok. Will just take time to heal.

Any deterioration and I'm to call an ambulance, but it's actually starting to feel a bit better.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 38,745 Posts
    • 143,281 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Stop worrying, I'm fine, just it's sore when I cough or sneeze or....strain so I need to bend over when i do any of those things which stops me ribs hurting.

I spoke to my own GP in passing today, told him what had happened and he said as long as I can breathe, no sharp pains and no coughing up blood it's all ok. Will just take time to heal.

Any deterioration and I'm to call an ambulance, but it's actually starting to feel a bit better.
    That's good, you've had some advice.
    I'll stop worrying now!

Perhaps you could harness Baillie to a sled, then she could pull all she likes!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Apr 18, 9:40 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Nutritionalist calling tomorrow ....

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 38,745 Posts
    • 143,281 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm still worried for you, do be careful.

I started off being irritated by an intrusion today but then I started finding it funny and I'm sorry to say that I didn't help, I just laughed.

My neighbour has cute little pug dogs. This afternoon, I'm guessing their cleaner must have accidentally let one of them out and it scampered over my way.

When I looked out of a window, a short plump lady was running hither and thither all over my front lawn trying to catch a short plump dog. The pug was having a fantastic time outrunning and outmanoevering the woman - he may be a roly-poly with stumpy legs but so was she.

It just needed the Yakety Sax theme to complete the picture.

I know I should have gone out to help.
    I'm a bad person.
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    So, where's the link to the YouTube video?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 11th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 14,397 Posts
    • 55,988 Thanks
    joansgirl
    OK MSE, you are so slow today I'm giving it up as a bad job
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 11th Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    Sleazy
    So, where's the link to the YouTube video?
    For Pyxis by special request

With MSE, Wetherspoons WiFi, and me on a tablet .... that was an effort to post, so hope you appreciate it

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 11th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,167 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I was irritated by how long it took to format a document so that the front page was a different colour to the rest of it. I persevered though and managed it in the end. Just a shame I wasted so long, trying to do it
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 38,745 Posts
    • 143,281 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Thankee kindly, Mr. Sleazy!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 15,987 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Got assaulted in the street this morning
    As well as a bump on my head and sore ribs where he kicked me and various other sore bits, one of the teeth in the bridge in my mouth has been broken.
    At least the knife that he had threatened me with in the first place never appeared otherwise..............

All because my dog barked at his dog and I called his bluff after he had threatened me with a knife.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 79.2
    Total so far - 2927.2
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 11th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    Sleazy
    As well as a bump on my head and sore ribs where he kicked me and various other sore bits, one of the teeth in the bridge in my mouth has been broken.
    At least the knife that he had threatened me with in the first place never appeared otherwise..............

All because my dog barked at his dog and I called his bluff after he had threatened me with a knife.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    That sounds pretty nasty rather than just an 'irritation' Wiz. Did you contact the police?

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 11th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,167 Thanks
    pipkin71

Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    How awful. I'm in no way minimising what you went through, but thankfully you were not more seriously hurt. Doesn't really bear thinking about, what might of happened if he did have a knife
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 15,987 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    That sounds pretty nasty rather than just an 'irritation' Wiz. Did you contact the police?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Someone did call them but not because of the assault but because I was shouting at the top of my voice in the hope that someone might have seen it happen.

He has been charged and a report sent to the Fiscal.

More painkillers then off to bed for me
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 79.2
    Total so far - 2927.2
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Some of the comments in Discussion Time ...
    Still, everybody is welcome to state their opinion - I guess that's the purpose. But some opinions do seem to be somewhat missguided. But hey, that's just my opinion!

DId I just say 'but' too much? Now I'm really irritated with myself!
    Last edited by Sleazy; 12-04-2018 at 6:50 AM.

Earl Of The Alphabetty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

8,358Users online

Martin's Twitter