Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,571Posts
    • 28,510Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 215
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 10,889 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    suki1964
    I can imagine them grinning whilst saying it, possibly rubbing their hands with glee too

I was talking to a lady from NI a few days ago - she said that in her experience it's usually 10 degrees colder than England ..... rapidly changing my mind about wanting to live there!
    Originally posted by Sleazy

I swear he would have danced a jig if he could

Itís cold but still 2oC here and 4oC in town

Coldest Iíve seen it is minus 17 - the winter of 2010. That was long prolonged cold. So cold the oil for the heating froze. But it didnít feel as cold as it was a dry freeze if you know what i mean
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 24th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Noticing a lot especially on youtube and from American posters insults have become more and more about disability, the most common are if someone is being stubborn other people call them "autistic" like "stop acting autistic" or "what a autistic response", or replace that word as well with "mentally disabled" Noticed it on websites with a lot of American posters too.

Find that sort of language disgusting.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 24th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 16,443 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Noticing a lot especially on youtube and from American posters insults have become more and more about disability, the most common are if someone is being stubborn other people call them "autistic" like "stop acting autistic" or "what a autistic response", or replace that word as well with "mentally disabled" Noticed it on websites with a lot of American posters too.

Find that sort of language disgusting.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Americans posting ableist language when they've got that fake tanned orange haired racist "person" for a president...

And people wonder why Americans can't understand irony.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 24th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Well, we've had really cold weather before.

Apparently the last arctic roll of doom thing we had was in 2010.

I think I can vaguely remember it, but only because my car wouldn't brake at a crossroads and just slid on the ice into the middle of it....... very scary, but luckily, no cars coming across from either way.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Yes it was cold as something very cold down here at the start of 2010.
    Had some snow too and it froze on the back roads.
    Stopped me getting to the pub for my weekly pint!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 24th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Speaking of the BBC - they're putting the TV licence fee up again, it's going to be about £150/year!

Don't those muppets have enough of our money? I mean, Sport Relief is going to be starting soon (if it hasn't already)...

Thankfully, I'll be doing everything I can to avoid Sport Relief thanks to its connections to the BBC and all the Yewtree investigations.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    I reckon that like most other taxes we should only have to pay what we think the service is worth.
    So what do you reckon would be fair for the BBC then?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 24th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 16,443 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I reckon that like most other taxes we should only have to pay what we think the service is worth.
    So what do you reckon would be fair for the BBC then?
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    10p an hour watched

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • elsien
    • By elsien 24th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 40,933 Thanks
    elsien
    My irritant of the day is Mother's Day cards. Overpriced pink cutesy fluffy tat. Either that or banging on about prosecco. Had to flee the shopping centre, having been traumatised by an overdose of pastels.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 24th Feb 18, 3:24 PM
    • 36,369 Posts
    • 144,848 Thanks
    tommix
    My oven popped its clogs last night..Just bought a Mini Oven from Argos. Looked alright in the picture. Fact is I'll be lucky if I can fit a Pea in the damn thing. My fault, I shouldn't have gone to the Lilliput branch of Argos..
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 24th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    10p an hour watched
    (Sharp intake of breath)
    As much as that?
    That'd be about 50p a week I'd owe them!
    How would they pay for all the sport, opera, dancing in any form, charity, and other stuff I don't watch?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 24th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 16,443 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    (Sharp intake of breath)
    As much as that?
    That'd be about 50p a week I'd owe them!
    How would they pay for all the sport, opera, dancing in any form, charity, and other stuff I don't watch?
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    The senior management could hire themselves out as domestic help?
    They could fire people like Lineker?
    They could drop salaries to more realistic levels?

• MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 24th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 16,443 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Any way, a MothballsWallet irritation:

Recently, I've been receiving account texts from one of the banks I've got accounts with, I never signed up to these, and they even text me when a statement is available on their internet banking portal, as well as send me an email.

Apparently this is a FCA requirement now - yet I never heard of it before, and it sounds like it was a "do it without asking your customers first" thing from the FCA.

No wonder they've set the PPI deadline for August 2019 (18 months away), they have no backbone.

• Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 24th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    The senior management could hire themselves out as domestic help?
    They could fire people like Lineker?
    They could drop salaries to more realistic levels?
    Problem is (and it's the same one with a lot of things "government") it's spending other people's money with precious little accountability.
    They could do a lot of things, but there's no reason for them to spoil their comfy sinecure.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 24th Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    • 34,302 Posts
    • 127,218 Thanks
    Pyxis
    My oven popped its clogs last night..Just bought a Mini Oven from Argos. Looked alright in the picture. Fact is I'll be lucky if I can fit a Pea in the damn thing. My fault, I shouldn't have gone to the Lilliput branch of Argos..
    Originally posted by tommix
    Hahahahahaha!
    Are you fishing in Poole again, Tommix?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 24th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    Sleazy
    And people wonder why Americans can't understand irony.
    Well, they can't pronounce or spell Aluminium, so .....

Maybe it's a metallurgical thing, but they wouldn't likely understand that either.
    Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Harvey Mackay
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 24th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    ceredigion
    With regards to the BBC comments.
    Personally I think its outstanding value for money.
    Someone mentioned opera, BBC never have any opera , wouldn`t mind if they did.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 24th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Having a argument (not related to what I said earlier) with Americans on Youtube, I made a mini joke about someone saying they prefer American voice dubbed version of animation and I joked "enjoy the censored version that was badly edited lol" got called a fanboy and a term for a weak minded man that Americans use and "triggered" I call them an idiot and they say they are more intelligent as I have terrible grammar and again call me "triggered" along with swear words basically the shout swear words like you are a big man type. I get more annoyed and call the guy an idiot and someone comes in and calls me a (swear word) fanboy who is mentally ill and for the other person to "ignore the (r word)"

People like to act like the big man online especially Americans!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 24th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Continual Sensationalist Headlines in certain daily newspapers.
    Apparently, every 3-4 days there's a new reason why World War III is about to break out .... Grrrrrrr .....

They make interesting reading (sometimes), but too much is too much!
    Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Harvey Mackay
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 24th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    With regards to the BBC comments.
    Personally I think its outstanding value for money.
    Someone mentioned opera, BBC never have any opera , wouldn`t mind if they did.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    They had an opera season back end of last year didn't they?
    My point was that it's paying a fee for anything they choose to put on.
    Most of which I'd choose not to watch.
    I've always paid my "BBC tax" and will probably continue to do so, but it doesn't mean that I have to like how they spend it. I don't think it's particularly good "value for money" personally, and I deplore the heavy handed way they collect it.
    Perhaps "Mothballswallet's" idea of "pay per time / view" really would be the best plan.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 24th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 7,081 Thanks
    avogadro
    Buying a book on EBay which was described as 'like new', only to find that it's in such poor condition I can only really give it to a charity shop. Faded cover, brown discoloured pages, spine creased, etc

Also, not so much an irritation but a bit surprised to see that one of our regulars has been banned. Never seen him write anything that breaks forum rules!
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 24th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    DesertWind
    I don't like spiders much, especially when it's dark, so i dare not read the new post on the spider thread. (But i kind of want to)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

741Posts Today

6,051Users online

Martin's Twitter