Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,567Posts
    • 28,501Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 204
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Now the sodding tumble dryer's getting in on the act. It waited until I filled the sink to do the dishes, then decided the tank needed emptying. Had to carry it upstairs to the bathroom. I bet it's feeling really smug right now.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    You do know the tank is removeable. . . .
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Is it by unplugging it?

If so, it might take me longer to get to the plug than to wait for the door to open,
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Joking aside, it's actually not. A lot of them work by a bi-metallic strip that heats up when the power is on and bends to stop the door opening. So it's a "time delay to open" as well, as it has to cool off once the power is off.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 51,295 Posts
    • 142,081 Thanks
    colinw
    So when I get a bus I get pay the driver with the money I have counted out before the bus comes, other people seem to go through the process of planning a manned mission to Mars before getting their ticket
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 16th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 27,590 Posts
    • 14,999 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    So when I get a bus I get pay the driver with the money I have counted out before the bus comes, other people seem to go through the process of planning a manned mission to Mars before getting their ticket
    Originally posted by colinw
    And when you have been waiting for one for ages in the rain, the bus finally comes and the people getting off act like they have got all day.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 16,434 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Yes that's fibre... The slowest version I can get is actually 55 a month (just the Internet with no calls)
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    I'm paying 33 a month for landline rental, calls, TV and unlimited fibre broadband with TalkTalk - I'd never go back to BT as none of their packages come even close, unless I'm willing to sell my body on the street corner, but no one would buy it
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 16,434 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Good news - Latey McLateface is on annual leave so I don't have to look at his stupid dumb lateface for a few days.
    But my other colleague, (who doesn't have a nickname yet, suggestions welcome) is working hard to fill the irritation void.
    He's started working with headphones on so he can't hear the phone ring which is a pretty idiotic move when a big part of your job involves answering phonecalls.
    And then when I have to put a call through to him I have to shout his name repeatedly until he finally hears me, pulls one headphone out and says; "Hmmm?"
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Dippoop McPoopface?

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 16,434 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Originally posted by colinw
    Or they're like me and have a Smartcard season ticket

My irritation - I didn't put my jumper on this morning and didn't realise until I was leaving work and thought it may have gone missing as it wasn't on the back or my chair or already in my bag

• Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I forgot to add, I may be paranoid about my tumbledryer's intentions because it was the heavy object that squished my finger earlier. It's clearly in a mood with me today.
    Our tumbledryer's a happy enough chap (or chapess?) he whistles when he's finished his work!
    (I wondered what the heck it was the first time I heard it!)
    I expect you've been ignoring yours, and expecting him to just get on with his job.
    Appliances don't like that!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    • 34,202 Posts
    • 126,951 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Our tumbledryer's a happy enough chap (or chapess?) he whistles when he's finished his work!
    I expect you've been ignoring yours, and expecting him to just get on with his job.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    My washing machine tells me when it's finished.

That can be quite useful, unless I'm in bed and can't be bothered to get up and empty it, in which case, the beepy tune thing goes on for ever, and I resort to " oh shut up!" (But under my breath as I don't want it to get peeved with me).

Edit......

I tell you what would be useful, and that's a transformer washing machine which, when it's finished, empties itself and transforms up into a robot which then goes and hangs the washing up .
    That would be cool.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 16th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I dropped a heavy thing right onto the top joint on my little finger. It's surprisingly painful for such a little thing, sort of like banging your funny bone, where you have that dull "I'm still angry with you, you careless git" ache for a while after.

When you drop a very very heavy thing on your finger. Just saying

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 34,202 Posts
    • 126,951 Thanks
    Pyxis
    That is baaaaaad.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    When you drop a very very heavy thing on your finger. Just saying
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    Ouch! Very much Ouch! I've worked in heavy industry and done enough building to have had a few black nails. Nothing as nasty as that though thankfully!
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 16th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 11,037 Thanks
    Frogletina
    My tumble dryer used to do that. I found a setting in the handbook to turn it off as it was driving me mad

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 1567.31 SPC 9 #441 1014.64 SPC 10 #441 1164.13
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 16,434 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Ouch! Very much Ouch! I've worked in heavy industry and done enough building to have had a few black nails. Nothing as nasty as that though thankfully!
    I think there are only 2 occasions when I've done something like that to myself but neither were as bad as that:
    1. Introduced the tip of my soldering iron to the side of my finger (small wound area and cauterised itself).
    2. Sliced my thumb while whittling with my Swiss army knife.

• Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 16th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I think there are only 2 occasions when I've done something like that to myself but neither were as bad as that:
    1. Introduced the tip of my soldering iron to the side of my finger (small wound area and cauterised itself).
    2. Sliced my thumb while whittling with my Swiss army knife.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    I've been "lucky" is that I spent 20 years or so machining timber. Machine woodworkers are often the victims of hand and finger injuries. I've avoided that. (So far at least. I do very little now.)
    I say "lucky" because 99% of it isn't "luck" at all, but understanding how to do the work, and using the right guarding and work holding etc.
    Some of the stuff you see on TV, and on the net leaves me horrified.
    Last edited by Jackmydad; 16-02-2018 at 8:57 PM.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 16th Feb 18, 10:39 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I googled "small kitchen" looking for design ideas. I glanced over the results and immediately wondered if google would understand what I meant if I added "I said SMALL, FFS" to the end of the search.

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 13,219 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    available this week in Aldi
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 76.4
    Total so far - 1237.9
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 13,219 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Saw a guy driving with a dog sitting on his knees only a small dog but guess who would come off worst if he had to brake suddenly
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 76.4
    Total so far - 1237.9
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 17th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 16,774 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    DT is a joke!

Thank goodness for the brighter, lighter days . .
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 17th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 16,774 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I try to answer any questions on the Benefits board in an even and non-judgemental way, but there's one there at the moment that really irritated me, so I'm venting here instead.

I can barely leave my house and talking to people leaves me so overwhelmed that I usually have to self-harm to distract myself, yet I have had to have these long, drawn out battles to get ESA and PIP (I'm still fighting to get PIP after nearly 2 years). Someone else can apparently receive these benefits despite being able to travel alone across several foreign countries.

I'm not !!!!ed off at the claimant--if he's been honest with the DWP and that's what they've decided he's entitled to, then I'm fine with that--it's the blatantly uneven way the DWP are assessing people.
    It's all down to the 'evidence' and how you present it! Think of all those courtroom dramas where it's not going in the accused's favour because of a shock, untrue and misleading allegation by the prosecution, and WE know the real story! It's so frustrating - why can't the judge see the truth! Why doesn't anyone else use their brain?!! What are they not comprehending ffs! And then, one empassioned speech saves the day. Suspected dodgy villian is vindicated Happy ever after! Til the sequel!

Pip decision came yesterday - I've been bumped down to standard care but mobility stays the same. I know I didn't present my case very well. I was pretty rough and my heart wasn't in it! I looked fine though!

I'm going to compare the 2 awards and see where I lost points - because if I think they still apply, I'm going to challenge it!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter