Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,574Posts
    • 28,529Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 142
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    • 34,962 Posts
    • 129,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I like to wrap my Xmas gifts in the same paper for each person but I've ran out for the last present. Do I buy another roll or re-wrap that persons again, such a waste either way.
    Originally posted by squiggles
    Have you got some offcuts of the paper that that person's other presents are wrapped in?

If so, wrap it it a different paper, but stick the offcuts onto part (or all, if there's enough) of the differently-wrapped parcel.

Even if you only have a very small piece, sticking that on will indicate whom the present is for.

You can say that Martin Lewis told you to!

By the way, someone on another thread told me what they do, particularly for her own family's presents.
    She bought some Christmas fabric and wrapped the presents in that and tied them with ribbon.
    It all gets used again year after year!

Particularly good as a lot of wrapping paper can't be recycled.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 17-12-2017 at 9:10 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Attila the Bun
    • By Attila the Bun 17th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Attila the Bun
    The incompetance of the police
    Going into a wooded area about half a mile from my house where youths are well known for starting fires, they parked a van and a car at the top of an entry point then 6 of them all went in the same way with their torches switched on, no surprise that the youths scattered in all directions before the police could even get close to them.

Next time guys, come and see me and I will show you a dozen different ways to get there without needing to use your torches and you might even catch some of them.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Reminds me of when our local bright sparks Police gave chase to a bloke who'd been accused of forging prescriptions in the chemist. They ran really fast to try and catch him. Only problem being, he ran off in one direction and they (of course) went in the complete opposite direction.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 17th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 27,846 Posts
    • 15,094 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The fancy desserts in supermarkets this time of year. They look so nice but they charge, 8, 10 or more.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 17th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 14,161 Thanks
    Sleazy
    The predictability of posters and forum politics
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • Kered
    • By Kered 18th Dec 17, 9:22 AM
    • 3,146 Posts
    • 17,860 Thanks
    Kered
    Got in to work this morning to discover that they might be closing the charity shop cafe that I volunteer in
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 18th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 13,934 Posts
    • 54,248 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Cliques of (mainly) women in their 50s on internet forums, taking a dislike to certain user names and hitting the report button.

Quite funny on one level, but.. irritating.
    Originally posted by Attila the Bun
    That counts me out then
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 28,529 Thanks
    fairy lights
    That Colins Christmas Tree thread has been moved to the Christmas forum, where threads go to die.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 18th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 51,724 Posts
    • 143,241 Thanks
    colinw
    That Colins Christmas Tree thread has been moved to the Christmas forum, where threads go to die.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Noooo what happened was I created a Christmas tree thread in the Christmas forum which was pretty much ignored but then one of the Christmas AE's created one in here and that was merged with my dead as a Dodo thread in the Christmas forum.....
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 28,529 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Noooo what happened was I created a Christmas tree thread in the Christmas forum which was pretty much ignored but then one of the Christmas AE's created one in here and that was merged with my dead as a Dodo thread in the Christmas forum.....
    Originally posted by colinw
    But I swear when I looked at the forum this morning the Christmas tree thread was here, started by you, and then suddenly it was gone. So they've merged them, moved them here, and then moved them back to the land of the dead?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 3,830 Thanks
    dekaspace
    A few days back was visiting relative and stayed overnight went to shops before 12.30 on that day and they were packed with miserable sods, then again I lived in that town on and off for 5 years over a 10 year period and the locals have that rep even from people who moved away years ago.

Either stuck in a aisle unable to get past someone who is in their own world, or constant flow of people walking so you are basically "at traffic lights" point eventually got moving after a few minutes and this older woman with a face like a prune intentionally walked into me as if to say get out of her way and muttered something at me!

Today I had a 9am doctors appointment and had a 1 subway voucher for the mega breakfast so used that, im in that store most days and saw the usual passers by just walk in and not buy anything and go to toilet often leaving it in a disgusting state.

Today a decorator who was doing the bookies across the road came in spent over 5 minutes in toilet and after he walked out (without buying anything) the store stank of human waste even with the toilet door closed, I was there about 30 minutes after that and the smell still hadn't gone.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 18th Dec 17, 11:21 AM
    • 51,724 Posts
    • 143,241 Thanks
    colinw
    But I swear when I looked at the forum this morning the Christmas tree thread was here, started by you, and then suddenly it was gone. So they've merged them, moved them here, and then moved them back to the land of the dead?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I believe what might have happened was you travelled through a rift in the time continuum back to my 2016 Christmas Tree Thread I saw a similar thing happen on Star Trek
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 34,962 Posts
    • 129,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Ah! That explains my slight confusion early this morning!

But, Pogofish would be very proud of you Colin!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• colinw
    • By colinw 18th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 51,724 Posts
    • 143,241 Thanks
    colinw
    Ah! That explains my slight confusion early this morning!

But, Pogofish would be very proud of you Colin!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Well you know I did not want to let the Pogofish down, I could not live with the shame
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 28,529 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Well you know I did not want to let the Pogofish down, I could not live with the shame
    I think it would be a really nice gesture if someone started a 'Merry Christmas Pogofish' thread, so he knows how much we're all thinking of him when we do anything Christmas related. I think he would really love that.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 3,830 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Forgot to say as well, Doctors appointment was useless, 5 years ago I was confirmed to have a skin condition that meant my skin was sweaty all the time and at time was given medicated roll on and some experimental tablets and told its likely I would need surgery.

After I moved I was refused even the roll on but the worst of the sweating had gone (more that I now wear clothes as thin as possible and pjs indoors.

Noticed I have been sweaty and smelly all over the last few months so went back to doctor and was just told to wash more. didn't even check my notes and implied it was due to me being overweight despite having these issues when I was stick thin when younger too.

Oh and instead of staying out I came back straight away after the breakfast in case postman arrives as been waiting for a item from China for a month, postman as usual hasn't bothered turning up (getting post like 2 days a week at most now despite being under a mile from sort office!)
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 36,483 Posts
    • 145,172 Thanks
    tommix
    I have recently come to the conclusion that mankind is a waste of space and that I am too good for this world..

Right, got that off me chest.

Have a happy Christmas peeps!
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 18th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 13,934 Posts
    • 54,248 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I have recently come to the conclusion that mankind is a waste of space and that I am too good for this world..

Right, got that off me chest.

Have a happy Christmas peeps!
    Originally posted by tommix
    Merry Christmas Tommix
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 18th Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 9,464 Thanks
    NBLondon
    On BBC London (local radio) this morning - a weather forecaster expressing surprise that it got dark by 4pm - in mid-December... less than a week before the solstice! Just like it did last December - and the one before - and the one before that....

Either the standards of Met Office training have declined massively or they assume that all the audience are idiots....
    Womble #7 - Running Total 9.68 $1.99 3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 34,962 Posts
    • 129,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    On BBC London (local radio) this morning - a weather forecaster expressing surprise that it got dark by 4pm - in mid-December... less than a week before the solstice! Just like it did last December - and the one before - and the one before that....

Either the standards of Met Office training have declined massively or they assume that all the audience are idiots....
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Weather forecasters aren't very often meteorologists these days; an awful lot of them are just presenters.

Even so, you'd think they might have noticed the days shortening in winter over the years!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• tommix
    • By tommix 18th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 36,483 Posts
    • 145,172 Thanks
    tommix
    Merry Christmas Tommix
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Thankyou Joansgirl..Same to you my lovely.

My Partner and I are staying in a bloody 'Travelodge' this Christmas. She wanted to do something different this year..Something classy!

Damn place looks like a 'Concrete Pill Box' which looks as though it would be better suited to the beaches of Normandy..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,568Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin