Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • garythehutch
    • By garythehutch 20th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 24Thanks
    garythehutch
    Car Tax 6 months overdue!
    • 20th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    Car Tax 6 months overdue! 20th Jun 17 at 8:43 PM
    Hi all

I may or may not have dropped a bollock. Today I was sitting at work and I thought to myself "bloody hell, I haven't paid my car tax in a while". I went online and it turned out my car tax had expired on 1st December 2016! Oops. This made sense because I got a years tax when I bought the car from a dealer in December 2015.

So anyway, as I work away I got my Dad to go and get my log book to give me the reference number so I could set up a direct debit. I've done that immediately. All ok.

However, it did give a message to say:

"Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 June 2017 This vehicle's previous tax/SORN expired on: 01 December 2016. This means the vehicle has not been taxed since this date.
    You can apply for vehicle tax from today's date, with a tax start date of the first of this month, however, please note that it is an offence to be the registered keeper of a vehicle that is untaxed and does not have SORN in force. DVLA's enforcement section may be in contact with you regarding this gap in tax.

Now, the address on the form is my old address. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced I called the DVLA to advise them of a change to my address. I don't think I would be able to prove this.

What's the best/worse case scenario? Has anyone actually had a similar experience?
Page 2
    • garythehutch
    • By garythehutch 21st Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    garythehutch
    rehear it , wgat then , admit that you failed to update your details with the DVLA , then have another fine of upto £1000 in the post
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Exactly my thoughts. Not worth it.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 21st Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    You have a legal duty to ensure the address for all vehicles registered to you is kept updated, as well as your licence. You can even put them all in the same envelope when you send them off...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Not a good idea as they use separate postcodes and apparently the one sent to the wrong postcode may get lost!
    • garythehutch
    • By garythehutch 21st Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    garythehutch
    My only concern now is the negative effect this can have on me... does anyone have any insight?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 21st Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    You need less hassles in life and fewer stress then...
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I like it. Good grammar like good manners costs nothing!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 21st Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    cjdavies

That's irrelevant. DVLA don't hold insurance details. They do not assume that licence address changes and vehicle address changes go hand-in-hand (even if they definitely know that the keeper and the licence holder are the same person, which they don't always, because you do not have to put your licence number on keeper changes), simply because they aren't always.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Also there are some father and sons with same name, which vehicle is theirs.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 21st Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    pappa golf
    My only concern now is the negative effect this can have on me... does anyone have any insight?
    Originally posted by garythehutch
    the bad boys will be taking DNA samples from your dustbin , DONT open the door to bailiffs , cancel the trip to america , get it paid ASAP

nothing to do with civil "credit score"
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 21st Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,525 Thanks
    unholyangel
    OP the one thing I'd advise you to check is how much is outstanding for unpaid months. People often dont realise these are chased separately (fine for being untaxed & fees owed for untaxed months).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • garythehutch
    • By garythehutch 22nd Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    garythehutch
    OP the one thing I'd advise you to check is how much is outstanding for unpaid months. People often dont realise these are chased separately (fine for being untaxed & fees owed for untaxed months).
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Interesting. I've heard that the fine "usually includes any back taxes needed". Obviously, I have no documentation to verify this and the court didn't have this information either!

Either way, I've paid the fine.
    • inhoping
    • By inhoping 14th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    inhoping
    How did this go for you Gary? everything ok? same thing just happened to me, i was sure i set up a Direct Debit for mine but then moved house after a year and half of living there (awful breakup) and must have forgot to update them with new address and its somehow effected my payments with them, so was 4 months overdue (expired in DEC) and i only found out when i got a letter from a debt collection agency!

There was outstanding debt of £120 to be paid which was an £80 penalty and i think £40 back tax (or the other way around!), which I've paid (over the phone directly to the DVLA) and also had to re-tax the vhicle online. It did state:

"Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 April 2018 This vehicle's previous tax/SORN expired on: 01 December 2017. This means the vehicle has not been taxed since this date.
    You can apply for vehicle tax from today's date, with a tax start date of the first of this month, however, please note that it is an offence to be the registered keeper of a vehicle that is untaxed and does not have SORN in force. DVLA's enforcement section may be in contact with you regarding this gap in tax."

I assume because I've paid the fine/debt directly to DVLA that its all sorted? I did this before i paid for the tax renewal. The lady on the phone when i paid the fine though said that this would close the matter, does that include this 'enforcement' that refers to the tax online? Or is there a court case (or some other thing) i now need to attend? Never normally been in such a situation, so i have no idea what happens.
    Last edited by inhoping; 14-04-2018 at 1:41 PM.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 14th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    cjdavies
    How did this go for you Gary? everything ok? same thing just happened to me, i was sure i set up a DD, was told I actually hadn't? and that there was outstanding debt of £120 to be paid, which I've paid (over the phone to the DVLA) and also had to re-tax the vehicle. Moved house in October and the tax expired in Dec 1st, its now april and I've re-taxed!

I assume because I've paid the fine/debt directly to DVLA that its all sorted? or is there a court case (or some other thing) i now need to attend? Never normally been in such a situation, so i have no idea what happens in such situations.
    Originally posted by inhoping
    Gary last post was July 2017 (last signed in December 2017), I wouldn't expect him to reply.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 14th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    Rover Driver

There was outstanding debt of £120 to be paid which was an £80 penalty and i think £40 back tax (or the other way around!), which I've paid (over the phone directly to the DVLA) and also had to re-tax the vhicle online.
    Originally posted by inhoping

Yours would have been different matter to the OP's, the Late Licensing Penalty - s.7A, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994 - which is treated as a civil debt.

The OP's case was the offence of using an unlicensed vehicle - s.29 of the same act, which was dealt with in the magistrate's court.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    Johno100
    Yours would have been different matter to the OP's, the Late Licensing Penalty - s.7A, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994 - which is treated as a civil debt.

The OP's case was the offence of using an unlicensed vehicle - s.29 of the same act, which was dealt with in the magistrate's court.
    Originally posted by Rover Driver
    So he just has to hope he hasn't been snapped on the road by any of the DVLA's ANPR cameras (both static and mobile) since the vehicle became untaxed.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 14th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    markudman
    DVLA are the worst gov body, they double tax you when you sell a car, they fine you if you miss a payment, the Car tax law is ridiculous, it would be better if the road tax duty was on fuel, that way no one would forget to pay, the more you used your car the more you would pay, so little old lady that uses her car once a week to go to Sainsburys, would only pay a little tax and the travelling salesman would pay loads due to clocking up a million miles a week. they would save a fortune on taking people to court and there enforcement dept would cease to exist, all them poor enforcement officers with no heart would be unemployed. maybe I should start a tread on this
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 15th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    Johno100
    DVLA are the worst gov body, they double tax you when you sell a car, they fine you if you miss a payment, the Car tax law is ridiculous, it would be better if the road tax duty was on fuel, that way no one would forget to pay, the more you used your car the more you would pay, so little old lady that uses her car once a week to go to Sainsburys, would only pay a little tax and the travelling salesman would pay loads due to clocking up a million miles a week. they would save a fortune on taking people to court and there enforcement dept would cease to exist, all them poor enforcement officers with no heart would be unemployed. maybe I should start a tread on this
    Originally posted by markudman
    Oh we've had threads about it on here and also Discussion Time, the extra costs to the haulage industry and foreign vehicles fueling up before arriving here usually gets brought up. For the record I'm in full agreement with you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

2,344Users online

Martin's Twitter