Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaharris
    • By Emmaharris 20th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emmaharris
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters 20th Jun 17 at 3:23 PM
    Hi,
    Hoping I've posted this in the right place, if not, apologies.
    Bit of a complicated one. On return of a holiday to Costa Rica with Thompson we were told we were entitled to claim for a delay. Unfortunately although my stepmum was told to wait until we did it for her she went online and added all flight details to an online claims company she came across. ( Flight delay claims team. Based in Northants )
    She filled in most info then they asked her to fill in a power of attorney form and she decided not to carry on online. She received an email saying thanks for signing up with us and called them a couple of weeks later to say she didn't want to go ahead as it was being dealt with by my brother. On the phone they said that was ok and that would be the end of it. Fast forward to recent weeks and she is recieving letters saying she owes them nearly £1600 for ignored reminders, the work they did processing the claim etc. The are adding interest daily and adding charges for random stuff and I have no idea what to do next. They won't discuss over the phone and say they don't take phone calls. Have emailed and they are pretty much saying tough luck pay up.
    She hasn't heard anything from Thompson regarding the compensation but the two other people that claimed together officially with Thompson have had their money back already. ( no one knew she'd put any details in online as we all did ours with resolver )
    It's all a mess and we have no clue how to sort it!
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 6
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 29th Sep 18, 7:31 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Fdct
    Ask them to confirm in writing that the enquiry has been cancelled. Also ask them to remove all your details from their records, as per data protection.

Any further issues get in touch with CAB and Northampton Trading Standards.
    • Bookends
    • By Bookends 29th Sep 18, 9:11 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Bookends
    Don't ask them to confirm in writing that the enquiry has been cancelled. Tell them to confirm.
    And tell them to remove any and all details they hold about you from their records, as per data protection.
    If they then begin to harass you for money you have a very strong case for breach of gdpr
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 29th Sep 18, 12:30 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    JAM2018
    You are quite right. Tell them, not ask them. Why was I being so polite!
    • Sam Ring
    • By Sam Ring 1st Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sam Ring
    Hi all.

Has anyone actually gone so far as making it to the small claims court with these guys? Scouted various threads and can't see to find anyone getting past filling out a counter-claim form, and then not hearing anything back after that only to be told the case has been dismissed for one reason or another?

Cheers!
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 6th Oct 18, 9:15 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any updates on their situation?? I have just received my 3rd invoice again with the wrong address on it (I have no idea how they will send me court papers as they can’t seem to get my address right) trading standards have also asked me to forward all email correspondence I’ve had to them ... I just want this to be over now ��
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 6th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Davexmas
    I have received a summons this morning from the small claims court so will send in the acknowledgement form and then my defence..... i think i habe 28 days to do that rather than the 14 if yiu pay up ! this company can't be allowed to get away with this! Will let you know how i get on.
    • habe
    • By habe 10th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    habe
    Hello everyone. I signed the so called contract two months ago but I have not heard anything yet. After reading all this, it’s like I am waiting to be charge!! Anything that I can do at the moment please? Blessing everyone in here!!
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 10th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    I have received a call today from Cher at FDCT on a mobile number which I found strange.

She was chasing payment of my latest invoice, when I informed her of all the reasons I wasnít paying this invoice she threatened me with debt collectors turning up at my door. Surely this canít be legal without first going through courts??

I told her that if a judge ordered me to pay it then I would and she reiterated that debt collectors would be calling into me??? Can this happen??

Can debt collectors turn up at my door without a court order??
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 11th Oct 18, 5:44 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    legal magpie

Can debt collectors turn up at my door without a court order??
    Originally posted by Emmal1982
    Certainly they can but it would be far more likely that you would receive a letter from the debt collector. Whether you receive a call or a letter it is essential that you tell them that the alleged debt is disputed and why. Should they persist, it might amount to harassment. Either way I would make a complaint to Northants trading standards who are already investigating this outfit.
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 11th Oct 18, 8:38 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Davexmas
    Good advice. I am going through exactly the same experience. What i am totally flabergasted by is a the fact that Trading Standards have been investigating this company for well over a year now and it's still carrying on !
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 11th Oct 18, 9:26 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    I donít know how they are going to send me any letters as the address on the last 2 invoices is somewhere in Australia Iím in London ?? Should I correct them that they have the wrong address??
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Oct 18, 10:20 AM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    JPears
    I wouldn't bother. They are making your life difficult, why makes their's easy?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 11th Oct 18, 3:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    The same had happened to me , i now have a court claim letter i am going to defend it and go to court if necessary ! Any advice would be helpful please

tracey
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 11th Oct 18, 5:47 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    I get not making thier life easy Iím just worried that if they do send me a court letter to the incorrect address would it automatically go against me in court if I canít defend it?
    • Mccaffs
    • By Mccaffs 11th Oct 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mccaffs
    AVOID these scammers!!!
    Made a simple online enquiry whilst waiting for my delayed flight but then went ahead and successfully obtained compensation directly from airline.

Been getting threatening letters and phone calls ever since which I now just ignore. They're now looking for nearly £700 lol for doing sweet fa.

Spoke to CAB who advised me not to pay anything and reported them to Trading Standards who apparently are already investigating them. Have logged complaint with BBC Watchdog too, if you're reading this please do the same.

I hope they take this to court, the CAB advised me there's not a judge in this country who would judge in their favour. Bring it on!!
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 13th Oct 18, 8:04 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Davexmas
    Fdct
    Hi
    I am in the same situation as you Tracey. You need to complete the Acknowledgement of Service online and then put in your defence 28 days from the date of service which is 5 days after the date on the court papers. Have you reported this to Northants Trading Standards ? It takes a while but is worth it as they are currently in the process of conducting a big investigation.
    Dave
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 15th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Hi Dave
    i havent completed the acknowledgment of service i just sent my Defence form back straight !! Yes i am speaking to Vanessa at Trading Standards Northampton , I am just worried i am going to end up going to court !

Tracey
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 15th Oct 18, 5:41 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    legal magpie
    When you have put in your Defence the case will be transferred to your "home" court. I will be very interested to know what happens next.
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 16th Oct 18, 2:14 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Legal magpie
    I will let you know when i hear anything else !!

Tracey
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 17th Oct 18, 8:30 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Put my defence in. Waiting to hear back from the Court.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

1,594Users online

Martin's Twitter