Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaharris
    • By Emmaharris 20th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emmaharris
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters 20th Jun 17 at 3:23 PM
    Hi,
    Hoping I've posted this in the right place, if not, apologies.
    Bit of a complicated one. On return of a holiday to Costa Rica with Thompson we were told we were entitled to claim for a delay. Unfortunately although my stepmum was told to wait until we did it for her she went online and added all flight details to an online claims company she came across. ( Flight delay claims team. Based in Northants )
    She filled in most info then they asked her to fill in a power of attorney form and she decided not to carry on online. She received an email saying thanks for signing up with us and called them a couple of weeks later to say she didn't want to go ahead as it was being dealt with by my brother. On the phone they said that was ok and that would be the end of it. Fast forward to recent weeks and she is recieving letters saying she owes them nearly 1600 for ignored reminders, the work they did processing the claim etc. The are adding interest daily and adding charges for random stuff and I have no idea what to do next. They won't discuss over the phone and say they don't take phone calls. Have emailed and they are pretty much saying tough luck pay up.
    She hasn't heard anything from Thompson regarding the compensation but the two other people that claimed together officially with Thompson have had their money back already. ( no one knew she'd put any details in online as we all did ours with resolver )
    It's all a mess and we have no clue how to sort it!
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 3
    • habe
    • By habe 7th Sep 18, 9:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    habe
    500!!! Too greedy!!!!!!
    When were you first submitted your claim please and what is it about?
    • Camdan123
    • By Camdan123 8th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Camdan123
    The cost of taking someone to court via the small claims route is about 30
    So it is easy to see why they do this. The stress it causes people when you get court papers , the threat of CCJ in the hope that you just pay up.

In my case I just filled in the court papers , defending the claim.
    The case was dismissed as they did not reply to the next papers sent out by the court.

Like many on here I did not believe a judge would find in there favour and was willing to go to court. I was contacted by trading standards in Northampton and asked to provide a formal statement and was I willing if to go to court as a witness if they took them to court. Which I agreed to do.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 9th Sep 18, 7:31 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Jam
    Check your household insurance policy, to find out if you have legal cover. Give them a call if you do and get some advice.
    • SAFC82
    • By SAFC82 11th Sep 18, 1:02 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SAFC82
    I've had trading standards emailing me. Loads have complained about them. I've completed a questionnaire and sent if back. I even got in touch with the solicitors they used and they haven't even carried out any work on their behalf since I cancelled. Do not pay them a penny
    • habe
    • By habe 13th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    habe
    But I have signed the document before, would it be a matter?
    • SAFC82
    • By SAFC82 13th Sep 18, 10:25 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SAFC82
    That's the thing they are being investigated for. It's all misleading. When you sign that box there isn't any terms and conditions under the box or anything.

Just ignore the idiots.

They said they rang me for payment. Definitely didn't. Why dont they send out letter to the house instead of emails which they know some people don't always read. Plus it would probably go to your junk mail.
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 13th Sep 18, 10:56 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Davexmas
    I'm have experienced exactly the same issues. Trading Standards are currently undertaking a big investigation into this outfit. In the meanwhile I have been advised that I can request that the so called contract can be unwound under the Unfair Consumer Trading regulations 2008. I am anticipating the small claims court getting involved but am quite prepared to defend my case. Happy to discuss with anyone who wants help.....
    • SAFC82
    • By SAFC82 13th Sep 18, 11:14 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SAFC82
    Can I ask what you emailed them. Whatever you used I'll email them the same..

Have the replied yet?

I'm willing to take this all the way too.
    Like I said before. I'm sure any other legit company chasing money would send a letter by post by now.

I've never not paid anyone when receiving a service. I definitely haven't received anything here.

Can trading standards doing anything tho?
    • cmb2018
    • By cmb2018 14th Sep 18, 2:11 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cmb2018
    I received a questionnaire from Trading Standards in the post, will be filling it in and sending it back ASAP. Unfortunately I already paid them, because of the advice I got from CAB and being a low income student I didn't want it to go to court. But I'm obviously still very bitter and embarrassed, as I'm checking this forum every day..

Fully support anyone who takes it all the way to the courts because that's what they deserve.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 14th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Trading Standards
    Glad to hear that Trading Standards are investigating. I haven't heard anything back yet. But I did check with the CAB yesterday and they confirmed that the company had indeed been reported.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 14th Sep 18, 9:53 AM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    cmb, you may be able to take the dodgy company to court to recover your money, especially if TS actually take this somewhere.
    Have you advised TS that you essentially, where threatened and harrassed by this company?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 14th Sep 18, 4:14 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    I’m also in the same boat made what I though was an online enquiry and heard nothing from this company. ended up having my claim settled by another company (although I am still to receive any compensation) a month later received an email from Hayward baker solicitors claiming to be working on behalf of FDCT who were apparently taking my flight provider to court. Phoned the solicitors and explained I thought there must have been a mistake they informed me they would close down thier file on me. Phone FDCT also explaining I thought there must have been a mistake as I have no contract or correspondence from them (rude arrogant guy called Ollie (supposedly)on the phone)and have recieved the first invoice for 588.27 and a few threatening emails from FDCT.

They’ve sent me dodgy screenshots of emails I was supposed to have received ... why not just forward said email!?

I have asked for copies of all works carried out on my behalf and they have replied they don’t have to provide proof of works carried out as I am not being billed for works carried out I’m being billed as I have been paid out.

I have spoken to CAB this morning and they have told me not to pay to report them to trading standards and action fraud and also report the solicitors to solicitors regulation authority. Which I have done. The thought of the court summons coming through the door is making me ill but I refuse to give in it’s diabolical.

Davexmas what email did you send them regarding the consumer trading regulations I’ll try that one too

I’m exhausted haven’t been eating or sleeping properly these people are nasty pieces of work.
    • SAFC82
    • By SAFC82 14th Sep 18, 4:26 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SAFC82
    Well done emmal1982. Just ignore them. They will scare some people and that's what they want. If even 4 out of 10 pay then they be happy.

Like I've said before, normal company chasing money would surely send a letter in the post.

I have filled in the trading standards questionnaire as well. Hopefully the scum bags get shut down. Once they do....we all can sue them for harrassement
    • JPears
    • By JPears 14th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    JPears
    Even if 1 out of 10 pay, they'll be quids in for doing sweet family!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 14th Sep 18, 9:17 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Emma, if you want some moral support let me know. It is a horrible situation and one that should never have arisen. Stay strong. If it goes to court let us know. Any right minded judge will throw it out.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 15th Sep 18, 7:22 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Emma, it's unlikely that you'll get a county court claim but even if you do, don't worry. Just make sure that you send the defence form back to the Court in time. What you said in the first para of your post sums it all up. Just confirm that you never entered into an agreement with these people.
    • Camdan123
    • By Camdan123 17th Sep 18, 8:06 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Camdan123
    Emma, This lot will send you County Court Papers
    As Legal Magpie has said just make sure you send back the defence form back to the court in time. You can do this yourself , you dont need to pay for a solicitor

I did this and the case was thrown out. They don't want you to defend the case , they just hope you pay up.
    • Emmal1982
    • By Emmal1982 17th Sep 18, 6:31 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Emmal1982
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the support.

I’ve had further emails from FDCT today reminding me that thier invoice is due and to pay Promptly.

I’ve asked them to send me the correspondence where they inform me I have instructed them and informed them that without actually sending me this information they have breached the consumer contracts regulations rules.

FDCT then emailed me stating that I had access to said documentation held in a durable medium on thier online portal.(first I’ve heard of it)

I then phoned CAB again and informed them of the above. They told me that without FDCT sending me access logins etc to the durable medium they will still be breaching those rules. And as I have no correspondence from them at all not to worry about it.

I just want these horrible people to leave me alone it’s making me feel ill.
    • Bookends
    • By Bookends 17th Sep 18, 6:47 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Bookends
    Emma Write to the company at their registered address and tell them to remove your email address and/or telephone number from their database and for any further communication to be in writing at your address only. Tell them ignoring this instruction - it's not a request! - will be deemed harassment. This should stop the emails and force them to pay for postage.
    You have reported this company to Trading Standards/Action Fraud haven't you.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 17th Sep 18, 6:54 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Emma,

Sorry to hear that this is making you feel ill. Stay strong and don't pay them a penny.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,745Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin