No wonder people fly tip!

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Cant you get a PO box in the neighbouring council ??

Not sure if that is enough, im just throwing ideas out there :)
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can only use the cheaper council recycling centre if you have proof of living in the borough.

Then your son should move to that borough if it means that much to him. He's not a serf.

Of course councils provide different services at different prices. Why do you think we have councils? Some councils still do weekly bin collections, others fortnightly. That's not unfair, that's just your choice of where you live. If all councils in the UK were required to provide exactly the same services for the same price, then we could sack all the councillors and their staff and have them run by central government and save a hell of a lot of money.
  • Doesn't the title to this forum include the word "vent"? and isn't that what the OP is doing, simply venting at the fact that what one council charges £200 per year for, a different council may well charge in excess of £2000?
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Doesn't the title to this forum include the word "vent"? and isn't that what the OP is doing, simply venting at the fact that what one council charges £200 per year for, a different council may well charge in excess of £2000?

Thank you, at least one person understands what a vent is. yes things are priced differently in Tesco and Asda but I doubt if there is such as massive difference as in the case I'm venting about.

I mentioned fly tipping as quite often in the area there are very often mattresses and couches left in the lane where I cut through on my way to work probably dumped there because people cant afford or cant be bothered to dispose of them the correct way.

If the minimum charge is around £100 to take them to the recycling centre then people are going to be tempted to dispose of them illegally. Even to have them collected in our borough is £55 where its £25 in the next.

The council tax charges are similar in both boroughs. The cost to the council of clearing the fly tipping must be high so surely it would pay to make it cheaper for the public to dispose of rubbish correctly.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    swingaloo wrote: »

I mentioned fly tipping as quite often in the area there are very often mattresses and couches left in the lane where I cut through on my way to work probably dumped there because people cant afford or cant be bothered to dispose of them the correct way.
    But that has nothing to do with businesses being charged for using council facilities.
    Fly tipping is due to charges local councils charge for bulk collections. ours now charge £12 for 1 item, yes you can take things to local recycle centres for free as a resident, but certain things you are charged for and if you take things in a black bag them with ours you have to take everything out so it can go in the correct dumpster while 6+ centre employees stand around doing nothing
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Charges for dumping waste are usually only for commercial waste so no excuse for householders to fly tip.
  • Obviously fly tipping exists.

People shouldn't do it.

I would not be at all surprised if there is a correlation between the incidence of fly tipping and the cost of disposing of the stuff at council sites.

If people fly tip because they're lazy or whatever, they may also do it because they think the cost of doing it properly is too high.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sheramber wrote: »
    Charges for dumping waste are usually only for commercial waste so no excuse for householders to fly tip.

That's not necessarily so. Householders in our borough can only go free if they are in a car. Any large items needing a van incur the £90 plus fee.

I know there is no excuse for fly tipping but a lot of households simply cannot afford these charges.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    I almost fly tipped a dead rat lol !! I know what I could do next time that I find one. Hopefully will not happen. Talking of sinking rats.....I see the SFO should be making public tomorrow their findings on Barclays Bank lol !!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sheramber wrote: »
    In some areas maybe but certainly not all councils do this.
    My local amenity/recycling tip charges householders for building waste at £5 per sack and £4 for used tyres.

Shortly after these charges were introduced there was a spate of old tyres being dumped in ditches and hedges around the area but thankfully this seems to have died off at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure